HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#2: Flyers @ Blues -Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010 - 8:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-09-2010, 11:34 PM
freakydallas13

vCash: 500
Hartnell may have had his brainfarts today, but I did like how he tried to stick up for Bart. The blues were taking runs at him all night, and nobody else was stepping up for him.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Post-game quotes:

BOUCHER:
"We have to be happy about that. Our first two periods tonight weren't as good as we wanted, but I thought we played well in the third. We had a great chance in overtime, and Danny B. hit the crossbar or it could have been two points. We can't be too disappointed about that."

BOUCHER:
“A lot of penalties and not full power plays either where halfway through the power play there be a penalty,” he said. “It was a weird game. The ice toward the latter half of periods got choppy and I think it was hard for guys to make plays. There were some breakdowns, but a lot of had to do with the ice, to be honest. And they came out hard. They’re a young group, energetic, their home opener, a new goalie. Everyone starts with great enthusiasm at the start and they certainly came out with it. I thought we played a good third period.”

LAVIOLETTE:
"Too many penalties . . . but I thought we played our best as the game wore on. The deeper the game got, the more we took control of it."

LAVIOLETTE:
“We were trying to swing with them and on the short side of it for the first half of the game. Then I thought we came in started to do what we wanted to do in the offensive zone in the third period.”

BRIERE:
“I thought the second half of the game, we played much better. I guess the positive is we get a point out of it off a tough game on the road.”

BRIERE ON THE NON-CALL:
“I didn’t get hurt, but it was just a little frustrating they were calling us for everything we did and he could have had two penalties on that play and he pushed me in the net.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Right there with you. I've been against Carcillo occupying that spot ever since it was suggested.

Man, we need to sort the whole top 9 thing out....our lines feel so jumbled, and lacking in chemistry right now.
The funny thing is, alot of people complained that goaltending was our weak point, and our defense was our strong. Well I know its 2 games but Bob and even Boosh (I can believe Im saying Boosh) looked good in their 2 games. (other then Boosh's first goal which, even if it was 5v3, I think he could have saved. He had an opening between Kimo and the defender to see it and save it. Alittle to slow for it though. Oh well)

Our defense on the other hand, well not counting Kimo, has looked terrible. Since Pronger is out, Timonen has been carrying the defense on his back. Carle actually hasnt looked that bad, probablly the second best behind Timonen right now.

On offense, I do like the chemistry that Leino and Briere have. I have no problem with Briere at center (he may get stuck in the zone at times... but the same exact thing happens when Richards is out there). If they move Carter back to center, I would have 0 problem with Leino-Carter-Briere line. Leino is doing very well.

Zherdev is killing me. He does some nice move and throws it on net but thats all. Giroux had a few bad passes here and there, but overall a solid game. Some here are making JVR sound like he was some sort of god during the game. I think he played solid, but not dominating the opposition like some are saying. His shooting ability still worries me (the pass from Giroux where he missed the one timer and then got it back but hit the defenders skate).

Carter, I think, looked alittle better this game. I think Richards-Carter could work out if they got another guy on that line. Maybe use Zherdev? I dont wanna stick Carcillo with Giroux though, cause I dont think JVR-Giroux-Carcillo would score any goals.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:59 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Blues fan view: Boucher played a hell of a game.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydallas13 View Post
Hartnell may have had his brainfarts today, but I did like how he tried to stick up for Bart. The blues were taking runs at him all night, and nobody else was stepping up for him.

Cosigned and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Blues fan view: Boucher played a hell of a game.
also cosigned. Very composed.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:20 AM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Does anyone know where there could be some highlights?

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:24 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxrichards View Post
Does anyone know where there could be some highlights?
http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/video...5heUpWtMwWvtg7

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:25 AM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
thanks bud

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:44 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

so far, Gagne>>>Mezsaros and Walker

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Wes McSnipes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
thanks for stopping by, best of luck with the rest of your season. Please do some damage to the RW's if possible and of course Chicago. Must also say i LOVE those jersey's you guys wore tonight. They were the 3rd jerseys last year if i'm not mistaken? Are they the normal home jersey's now or am I just having some wishful thinking b.c I like them the most after Vancouver's stick logo jersey/combo.
The 3rds aren't our normal home jerseys although we do wear them quite a bit. I'd say we wear them in about 30% of our home games.

Good game to you guys tonight by the way.

Wes McSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Any else think Coburn had a solid game tonight? I thought he was very physical and really getting into the right spots when he needed to.

Also, Carle had 5 blocked shots. Say what you want about Carle, but his upside definitely outweighs his downside.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:23 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The funny thing is, alot of people complained that goaltending was our weak point, and our defense was our strong. Well I know its 2 games but Bob and even Boosh (I can believe Im saying Boosh) looked good in their 2 games. (other then Boosh's first goal which, even if it was 5v3, I think he could have saved. He had an opening between Kimo and the defender to see it and save it. Alittle to slow for it though. Oh well)
I gotta disagree. I mean, he MAYBE could have saved it, but a tip like that is incredibly tough to stop; certainly not one you can expect a goalie to have by any means. I can't really find anything to be unhappy with from him tonight, he played very well.

I agree with everything else, though.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:31 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=536766

Putting Marcel Dionne in front of Bobby Clarke is akin to putting Meg Ryan ahead of Marilyn Monroe. Just stop!
I don't know she was pretty good in "you've got mail".

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
so far, Gagne>>>Mezsaros and Walker
Havent seen much of gags in tampa yet, but mezaros had a very solid game. ANd it was something that we needed since we didnt have pronger.

I think overall alot of the sloppy turnovers can be contributed to the beginning of the season. Neither team was sharpe.

But back to briere. The guy is playing some great hockey. I think moving him to center at teh end of last year was a move that might change the fortunes for this team. Yes he is a liability on d but he is by far our best playmaker.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:23 AM
BluShot

Hey guys, Blues fan here.

I was at tonight's game and just wanted to say you guys have got one great player in VanReimsdyke (not sure if I spelled that right) he was all over the place and seemed to be hustling as soon as his skate hit ice. Even in the first two periods when the rest of the Flyers were kind of halfassing it he really stood out as your best player tonight.

A side note: There was young Flyers fan sitting behind me and my girlfriend who started balling his eyes out when Cola scored. I felt so bad for him, kinda made it bittersweet.

BluShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Havent seen much of gags in tampa yet, but mezaros had a very solid game. ANd it was something that we needed since we didnt have pronger.

I think overall alot of the sloppy turnovers can be contributed to the beginning of the season. Neither team was sharpe.

But back to briere. The guy is playing some great hockey. I think moving him to center at teh end of last year was a move that might change the fortunes for this team. Yes he is a liability on d but he is by far our best playmaker.
Agreed, Mez was not only solid last night, but very good, remembed he put a massive pass in for us to score. It was our 3rd pairing that looked terrible last night again. Bartulis has had quite a bad run of games lately(including preseason). Carle was terrific, and kimmo was good up untill the last play of the night. I wish Danny would of scored on the last play,

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 06:45 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluShot View Post
Hey guys, Blues fan here.

I was at tonight's game and just wanted to say you guys have got one great player in VanReimsdyke (not sure if I spelled that right) he was all over the place and seemed to be hustling as soon as his skate hit ice. Even in the first two periods when the rest of the Flyers were kind of halfassing it he really stood out as your best player tonight.

A side note: There was young Flyers fan sitting behind me and my girlfriend who started balling his eyes out when Cola scored. I felt so bad for him, kinda made it bittersweet.
Thanks - JVR (that's easier!) is going to be a lot of fun to watch this year and into the future. He has everything except confidence, and you can see that improving on a daily basis. He was double shifted a few times, and is earning every moment of ice time.

I'd like to see him with Richards-Carter (assuming they stay together) on a consistent basis.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 06:57 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluShot View Post
That kid will get used to being a Flyers fan and soon enough nothing will phase him.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:11 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
That kid will get used to being a Flyers fan and soon enough nothing will phase him.
Yeah, being a Flyers fan kind of desensitizes the emotions.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:51 AM
jb**

again the looked uniterested and unprepared to play in the first. Some thigns never change. The coaching staff cant be happy. They played lazy, were beat to almost every loose puck, didnt play physical, basicly they stunk. Hope these players still dont have this well it is one game mindset and continue to coast through games.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:00 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I wanna see more JvR with Richards and Carter, it sounds like he's coming of age hockey wise

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:13 AM
MsWoof

I think Lavi needs to beat the snot out of a pop machine after warm ups so the team thinks the warm up was a badly played first period. It's incredible how this has carried on from the playoffs.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:59 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, in fairness to Coburn, that is a chronic problem with this team... they need to collectively stop sticking their sticks into people.
Granted, but Coburn's foul was particularly bone-headed.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Granted, but Coburn's foul was particularly bone-headed.
As long as Briere -- the king of the stupid stick penalty -- is doing his thing on a regular basis, I think everyone else gets a pass. Hartnell is particularly bad with his stick as well...

Assuming we're talking about the one at the blue line... it's at least reasonable for a D worried about getting beat at the line to want to hold up a guy. Forwards in the offensive zone and whatnot is a BIG problem.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:19 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
bad turnover by Giroux on the GWG

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote