Notices

Visiting Dallas

Old
10-06-2010, 11:05 AM
yukoner88

vCash: 150
Visiting Dallas

Hello all,

I live in the Yukon and will be be visiting Dallas this January when the Oilers play there. I've already booked a 2 night stay at a hotel just out of the city and am waiting for the tickets for the game to go on sale. I was wondering if anyone has in suggestions for places or areas a person could check out during a day while there?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but is January weather in Dallas generally mild?

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:28 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 500
Lobo you should sticky a thread like this. What do you like to do and will you have car? Two critical questions. More answers to follow after those are answered. As for weather in January is shouldn't be too bad around highs in the 45-55s F with lows dipping to 25-40s F and occasionally days that reach 70 F

Last edited by DaStars99: 10-06-2010 at 11:33 AM.
DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
yukoner88

I will be driving. My hotel is in De Soto which appears to be right on the southern limits of the city. As for what I wanna do, Im not really sure, thats why I'm asking. I have no idea what there is to do or see there outside of the hockey game.

Old
10-06-2010, 12:05 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

It is a good thing you have a car. Public transit isn't the best in Dallas. If you like football I suggest a tour of cowboys stadium about 20 minutes west of downtown. Should be extra fancy with the superbowl coming in February. Want stereotypical Texas head to fort worth. They have the stockyards and if you are of age Billy Bobs. About 45 minutes west of downtown. Like shopping Northpark Center has world class shopping about 10 minutes north of downtown. Want history? Try sixth floor museum, the place JFK was shot. Other museums are near Fair Park, not the greatest part of town though. Tv show Dallas was shot at southfork ranch. 30 mins north in plano, not that great though. That is just a couple things though, if you want more info, just ask

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:42 PM
yukoner88

Cool thnx, that's some great info. I'm 22 so bars aren't an issue, that's cool there's a place called Billy Bobs, there's a Billy Bob's bar in Red Deer Alberta (a city not too far from where I grew up). I'll have to give that football stadium a look. Not much of a NFL fan, but it looks so grand and huge that I doubt I could resist atleast a peak lol. The 50oF weather would be nice too, compared to what it'll be like here at that time, it'll be damn close to t-shirt weather for me haha

Old
10-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Dallasman

Lobo, sticky this bad boy!
I'm coming down at the end of March for a week and I will have a car so I will need any information that will help this guy out!

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
Hello all,

I live in the Yukon and will be be visiting Dallas this January when the Oilers play there. I've already booked a 2 night stay at a hotel just out of the city and am waiting for the tickets for the game to go on sale. I was wondering if anyone has in suggestions for places or areas a person could check out during a day while there?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but is January weather in Dallas generally mild?
Escaping the eternal darkness and friggin' chill of the sub arctic in January?? Good for you. I'm hoping for T-shirt, maybe even shorts weather for you. 50F beats -50C anyday...

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

I'll make a new thread where everywhere can leave suggestions, as we seem to be getting quite a few of these threads.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:56 AM
yukoner88

Is there any beerleagues down there? Or places where a person could hit the ice n play shinny (sticks n skates)?

Old
10-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Fly Like a C5

There are five or six Star Centers spread across the area.
http://www.drpepperstarcenter.com/

There is also Polar Ice and NyTex.
http://www.polaricehousegrapevine.com/
http://www.nytexsports.com/

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:16 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Just wanted to add that the Dallas Museum of Art and the Nasher Sculpture Center are a good way to spend an afternoon in Dallas, if you're into that sort of thing. There's also the Dallas Aquarium. I haven't personally gone but I've heard it's a good time from friends who have.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:44 AM
beeker16

There are beer leagues, but you have to pay prior to the season if you want to drop in last I checked.

misc info I posted before:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...7#post27347117

Also why did you pick DeSoto for hotels?
Oh and make sure you get either a GPS (to avoid tolls) or TollTag if you're driving around. DFW is very toll happy.

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:08 AM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16 View Post
There are beer leagues, but you have to pay prior to the season if you want to drop in last I checked.

misc info I posted before:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...7#post27347117

Also why did you pick DeSoto for hotels?
Oh and make sure you get either a GPS (to avoid tolls) or TollTag if you're driving around. DFW is very toll happy.
Got a really good online deal at one of the hotels there.

Old
10-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
Got a really good online deal at one of the hotels there.
You realize the rate quoted was by the hour and not a full night though, right? I kid, I kid.

Forgive me for not paying any attention to this thread earlier, however the question regarding the weather in Dallas is hilarious given the OP is from the Yukon. Those of us from Dallas might consider it normally cold, but I highly doubt someone who resides in an area where the temperature in January is well below freezing will find our Dallas January more than shorts and t-shirt weather. And I'm betting that even if our yearly ice storm hits on the exact weekend the OP comes to visit, he/she will still find it lukewarm around these parts and would get quite a kick out of how Dallas people react to 'cold' weather.

Now, I don't mean to pick on you, but that was, unintentionally maybe, pretty damn funny to me. Hopefully you have a good time in Dallas.

Last edited by Chad_: 10-10-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:08 PM
yukoner88

^^^ I'm blaming it all on you if I have to wear anything more than a t-shirt n shorts while I'm there lol. Last time I was in the states there was a cold snap in the mid-west where it was -30o in the mornings n up to -10 in the afternoon. (was in Arizona at the time watching the news about it) CNN provided some great comedy.

P.S. 25 days till the tickets go on sale for the game!