HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#2: Flyers @ Blues -Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010 - 8:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-10-2010, 11:26 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I gotta disagree. I mean, he MAYBE could have saved it, but a tip like that is incredibly tough to stop; certainly not one you can expect a goalie to have by any means. I can't really find anything to be unhappy with from him tonight, he played very well.

I agree with everything else, though.
Eh. From what I saw it was going completely wide but the guy deflected it far post. Like I said oh well though.

One thing Boosh is good at is the technical work. His rebound control is something that scares me ****less though. He has better rebound control then Leighton but not by much. I remember there were 5 or so times where he could have picked it up but left it sitting infront of him. One of those times, I think, came in OT where Coburn had to go pretty fast to clear it. He had a good game but definitely had faults just like Bob had last game. Some of those faults are harder to fix in a 33 yr old though.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:42 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
At least one thing Lavy can't be happy with is how this team is exiting the defensive zone. In both games, getting the puck up ice proved to be very difficult for this team. Especially with good defensive puck movers like Carle, Timonen, Coburn, and Meszaros. I'm sure it has something to do with mis-communication early on in the year, but Lavy needs to work quickly to nip this in the butt as soon as possible.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:44 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
At least one thing Lavy can't be happy with is how this team is exiting the defensive zone. In both games, getting the puck up ice proved to be very difficult for this team. Especially with good defensive puck movers like Carle, Timonen, Coburn, and Meszaros. I'm sure it has something to do with mis-communication early on in the year, but Lavy needs to work quickly to nip this in the butt as soon as possible.
Interesting.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:59 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh. From what I saw it was going completely wide but the guy deflected it far post. Like I said oh well though.

One thing Boosh is good at is the technical work. His rebound control is something that scares me ****less though. He has better rebound control then Leighton but not by much. I remember there were 5 or so times where he could have picked it up but left it sitting infront of him. One of those times, I think, came in OT where Coburn had to go pretty fast to clear it. He had a good game but definitely had faults just like Bob had last game. Some of those faults are harder to fix in a 33 yr old though.
Of course Boosh has his issues, but last night he played a pretty terrific game and was about the only guy on the team to show up for the whole thing.

I understand that you really dislike him, but your refusal to ever credit him for a good performance is just annoying.

And before anyone misconstrues this as me being a Boucher fanboy, I'm really not. He is obviously very far from optimal to have starting games for us, but I'm just so sick of people in this town ragging on our goalies even when they do their job well.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:05 PM
StandingCow

More than boosh showed up to play. Briere was good, and JVR... that was one of his better games, he was flying all over.

I really hope carcillo isn't this invisible in many more games.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:19 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
More than boosh showed up to play. Briere was good, and JVR... that was one of his better games, he was flying all over.

I really hope carcillo isn't this invisible in many more games.
JVR showed up, and Briere in the second half was very strong, but Boosh is the only reason we didn't lose that in regulation by a decent margin.

Old
10-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Kaktus*

goood... It was ****ing low scoring St. Louis. A team that can not score goals.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-10-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:51 PM
mirimon

Booosh was easily our best player in that game. Outside of those already mentioned in this thread I thought Richards played pretty good as well. Of course, he can play a lot better, but still.

I don't think you should tinker with the lines just yet, it's a bit too early into the season for that, and 3 out of 4 points on the road isn't too bad. If things don't begin to gel, we'll be hit with a few injuries or a flu bug anyway however, so it won't be too long until us wannabe coaches/gm's come storming with some great lines that Lavy and the rest should really, really consider.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:50 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Tkachuk in attendance. Huh. You'd figure a former player like that, with such notoriety, could get some club box seats or something.
I'm sure he could have. I'm sure he could have simply walked up to any suite and knocked on the door and said, "Hey, I'm Keith Tkachuk, mind if I join you?"

But how about first row on the ice with your boys instead?

He was taking his kids to opening day.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Mike2000z28

Ah, i was all excited to watch the game and i just couldn't believe what i was watching at times. It was really embarrasing to say the least. Basically how they played almost all of last year in the regular season, uninterested, not hustling and not giving two craps about the game and just hoping for it to be over. On paper the team should be a friggin machine and they go outplayed flatout by on paper pretty much nobodies. This is the NHL, the other teams playing you aren't going to take the nights off like you like to do!. Boosh definitely came to play and they were damn lucky they were down only 1-0, but the defense although bending at times, always came and saved a goal at the last second. We obviously lose the stretch pass without pronger. JVR, Briere looked really good. The big guys better start doing something productive. I don't want another underachieving season with playoff hopes resting in the last 5 games or so. We should be a dominate team throughout the entire season.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:02 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Did St. Louis just win the Cup or something?
Basically. We blew SO many leads late at home last season. Blowing leads late, (I think we led the league last year) and the inability to win at home (at least in the first half of the season) are what cost us the playoffs last year.

When we blew the lead in the third, I know a lot of Blues fans were thinking, "Here we go again..."

So to come out with the win at home is seen as a major step in the right direction.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Miss Mess

Our first line is sad. Hopefully Lavi will switch the lines up a bit

Briere looks like he's ready to roll this year. Boucher played good too

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Of course Boosh has his issues, but last night he played a pretty terrific game and was about the only guy on the team to show up for the whole thing.

I understand that you really dislike him, but your refusal to ever credit him for a good performance is just annoying.

And before anyone misconstrues this as me being a Boucher fanboy, I'm really not. He is obviously very far from optimal to have starting games for us, but I'm just so sick of people in this town ragging on our goalies even when they do their job well.
Meh, you dislike Leighton with a passion also. We all have our dislikes, mine just happen to be Boosh and Carcillo. I actually liked Boosh last season in the beginning. But when he started to play bad people defended him like crazy saying how it was our teams fault. All of a sudden though we pick up a waiver wire goalie and we do well. Now it was because of the team and not the goalie.

Yea I dislike Boosh, but you also really dislike Leighton, while I dont think he is a starter goalie, Id be more then happy with him as a backup.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:41 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Meh, you dislike Leighton with a passion also. We all have our dislikes, mine just happen to be Boosh and Carcillo. I actually liked Boosh last season in the beginning. But when he started to play bad people defended him like crazy saying how it was our teams fault. All of a sudden though we pick up a waiver wire goalie and we do well. Now it was because of the team and not the goalie.

Yea I dislike Boosh, but you also really dislike Leighton, while I dont think he is a starter goalie, Id be more then happy with him as a backup.
I dislike him because he is not the starter that many here think he is.

I never said I wasn't okay with him as a backup.

I like to think I'm pretty objective about goalies, since that's what I'm passionate about. I watch every goalie in the league as much as I can and have studied the position practically my whole life. As a starter, Leighton sucks. He has his games just like any other subpar goalie, but honestly I would rather be rid of him purely for the fact that losing Leighton forces this team to look for a legit option at some point. We know what we have in Boosh, so it's not like they'll comfortable give him the reins long term.

One thing I think we can all agree on, though: I hope Bobs continues to adjust his game and turns into a legit #1 for us over the long term.

Old
10-10-2010, 04:44 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Please get Carcillo off the top line. I'd rather have Shelley up there

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:07 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
As long as Briere -- the king of the stupid stick penalty -- is doing his thing on a regular basis, I think everyone else gets a pass. Hartnell is particularly bad with his stick as well...

Assuming we're talking about the one at the blue line... it's at least reasonable for a D worried about getting beat at the line to want to hold up a guy. Forwards in the offensive zone and whatnot is a BIG problem.
Collectively, our D has played uber-aggressive outside of our zone in the fist two games, which gives rise to penalties such as Coburn's. I'd expect this to subside once the odd-man rushes result in goals.

It also appears that we really don't have a defined "system" in conducting our offense in the attack zone, at least compared to Pitt and St. Louis. It just seems like a free-for-all. It would be nice to play a cleaner style like, say, Detroit.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:28 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
uninterested, not hustling and not giving two craps about the game and just hoping for it to be over. On paper the team should be a friggin machine and they got outplayed flatout by on paper pretty much nobodies.
Quote:
can't be happy with is how this team is exiting the defensive zone. In both games, getting the puck up ice proved to be very difficult for this team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think Lavi needs to beat the snot out of a pop machine after warm ups so the team thinks the warm up was a badly played first period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
again the looked uniterested and unprepared to play in the first. Some thigns never change..... They played lazy, were beat to almost every loose puck, didnt play physical, basicly they stunk. Hope these players still dont have this well it is one game mindset and continue to coast through games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
It also appears that we really don't have a defined "system" in conducting our offense in the attack zone, at least compared to Pitt and St. Louis. It just seems like a free-for-all. It would be nice to play a cleaner style
I feel like we've been here before.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:32 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Having gotten that smarm/snark out of the way...

Team chemistry is a funny thing. Until December, there's not much to be concluded about any hockey team.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Jumping

Quote:

Our defensive breakout plan needs better preparation.

Preparation H

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote