HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greiss

Old
10-10-2010, 12:51 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

vCash: 500
Greiss

G Greiss was waived by the Sharks... We should snatch him and send down our own backups on waivers IMO...

Quote:
Per Bob McKenzie
"SJ puts G Thomas Greiss on waivers. Chicago puts Jonathan Carlsson on waivers. That is all."
PS: I usually hate the waiver threads, but I think this one guy is worthwhile...

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:00 PM
soothsayer

Very interesting. I was under the impression that Greiss would be starting for SJ this season before they acquired Nitty and Niemi. Is Griess better than Dubnyk or JDD?

soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
G Greiss was waived by the Sharks... We should snatch him and send down our own backups on waivers IMO...

PS: I usually hate the waiver threads, but I think this one guy is worthwhile...
Even if management agrees with you (that Greiss is better), it will never happen. Call it po...li...tics.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Nic

For the love of god, would you people stop suggesting that we trade for ANOTHER goalie????

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that between Gerber, Dubnyk, Deslauriers and Khabibulin we will have at least two decent NHL goalies, and heck, maybe Bulin can return to championship form, it isn't impossible.

Still, we're probably not going to pick up an elite goalie off the waiver wire or by trade. I wish people would stop making these suggestions about things that are very, very unlikely.

Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
With Greiss getting sent down, it's NOW time for management to send down their 3rd goalie!

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Auguste Escoffier

If he does not get claimed, Tambs has to waive one of JDD or DD. It is the perfect time.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
For the love of god, would you people stop suggesting that we trade for ANOTHER goalie????

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that between Gerber, Dubnyk, Deslauriers and Khabibulin we will have at least two decent NHL goalies, and heck, maybe Bulin can return to championship form, it isn't impossible.

Still, we're probably not going to pick up an elite goalie off the waiver wire or by trade. I wish people would stop making these suggestions about things that are very, very unlikely.
Fans are fans, and every time a players is available someone always mentions them in a post realistic or not. I was in the camp that all of our goalies were not great, but after that way Bulin played maybe I am wrong. I still am not sold with the others, but you can't expect a pickup without a cut and demotion and it seems unlikely, slow and deliberate Steve would do that.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

Pick up Greiss, & waive any goalie who's last name starts with D

The hydra is slain, a better goalie rises from its corpse, and there's still a great insurance policy down on the farm.

NHL
Khabibulin 45-55 games
Greiss 25-35 games

AHL
JDD
DD
Gerber (give him the role of player/coach)

EHCL
Pitton

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:37 PM
yukoner88

Quote:

You can NEVER be too deep in the goaltending position

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Vizzie235
mispelled user title

Imagine if the Oilers get Greiss and TSN is doing the Oiler broadcast, imagine the number of times we would have to hear McGuire say 'Greiss' in that annoying tone.

Based on that alone, No Greiss. >

Vizzie235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:42 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post

The hydra is slain, a better goalie rises from its corpse, and there's still a great insurance policy down on the farm.

NHL
Khabibulin 45-55 games
Greiss 25-35 games

AHL
JDD
DD

EHCL
Pitton

Agreed Greiss is the better of the goalies and is younger.

I doubt JDD/DD get picked up.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post

NHL
Khabibulin 45-55 games
Greiss 25-35 games

AHL
JDD
DD

EHCL
Pitton

I'm not the betting type but I'll bet anyone this doesn't happen.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:13 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Greiss is better then Dubnyk, Deslauriers, and Gerber. I would claim him but we already have too many goalies, maybe if we can dump one.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:19 PM
ERC91

Damn, claim him. Immidiately!!!!!

Honestly, he's ways better than JDD, Dubnyk or Gerber.

As somebody said something about team politics. I can understand it somehow.
But nonetheless Greiss actually is too good to pass on him, even if team politics plays a role.

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that between Gerber, Dubnyk, Deslauriers and Khabibulin we will have at least ONE decent NHL goalies, and heck, maybe Bulin can return to championship form, it isn't impossible.

Corrected for you.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Lessy

I think it'd be wise to claim this guy. Not only is he still very young but he actually has starter upside. He's clearly an upgrade on Dubnyk/Deslauriers and has more upside. If we're interested in upgrading our goaltending position this is as good of a chance as we'll get.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:27 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd bet my bottom dollar the Oilers won't claim him. By and large I like Tambellini, but the guy has this weird love affair with JDD/DD. It's as if he sees them both as these incredibly valuable and promising tenders. The completely inexplicable 3 headed monster because he's afraid to loose one of them to waivers? Please. There are far better goaltender prospects to be had for a song (or in Greiss' case, for free), for any other GM to give claiming on a second thought. Even if someone did claim one of them, players of the same or better caliber are easily available. Neither have shown themselves to be better than a run of the mill prospect at all levels of competition (CHL, AHL, NHL).

The Oilers are starting to do somethings right, but with the exception of Roli, their entire goaltending strategy has been, and continues to be incomprehensible.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Spawn

Meh. Greiss is nothing special.

It's not like this is Bryzgalov we'd be passing on.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
I'd bet my bottom dollar the Oilers won't claim him. By and large I like Tambellini, but the guy has this weird love affair with JDD/DD. It's as if he sees them both as these incredibly valuable and promising tenders. The completely inexplicable 3 headed monster because he's afraid to loose one of them to waivers? Please. There are far better goaltender prospects to be had for a song (or in Greiss' case, for free), for any other GM to give claiming on a second thought. Even if someone did claim one of them, players of the same or better caliber are easily available. Neither have shown themselves to be better than a run of the mill prospect at all levels of competition (CHL, AHL, NHL).

The Oilers are starting to do somethings right, but with the exception of Roli, their entire goaltending strategy has been, and continues to be incomprehensible.
My thoughts exactly. There is zero chance anyone claims these guys with the other options available. I'm not saying Greiss will become the next Bryzgalov or Kiprusoff but he's at the very least a tempting option in the net and a quality backup with upside.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:52 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Greiss is as good or better than DD/JDD... send one of them down and pick up Greiss. Oilers won't though... they'll stick with their golden trio for whatever reason.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Crusty Quinn

delete

Crusty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 11:49 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Well, Greiss cleared, so I guess it's pretty safe to send down one of the goalies...

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 11:52 AM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Greiss cleared so there is no way one of our goalies doesn't.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 12:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChipProspect View Post
Greiss cleared so there is no way one of our goalies doesn't.
I'd agree we should take action and move one ASAP to OKC.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Summary

Relax, running with three goalies has only cost us one cup so far. Which was nothing compared to the sting we would have felt losing Mike Morrison or Ty Conklin. So it's obviously better to keep all three right, since Goalies thrive off less playing/practice time.

Trust me this is the best way for two young developing goalies to reach thier potential. We proved that when we gave them no team to work with in the minors before. And again when we buried JDD under Roloson and Garon.

Management has proven they know how to handle goalies best, we should trust them to do the right thing and sign another big fish this offseason to be our starter.

Damn I don't know how much more whinning I can do in one post. Guess I'll find out when we see the next boneheaded move to deal with our stoppers

Summary is offline   Reply With Quote