HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sulzer sucks

Old
10-09-2010, 05:23 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Sulzer sucks

Not to be a dink, but why is he ahead of Blum, Laaksa, and Josi on a call-up chart?

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 06:02 PM
OpenWheel

You're being a dink.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 06:48 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
You're being a dink.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Haha Douglas. Blum and Josi will benefit more from actually getting to play with the Ads rather then being the sixth or seventh dman for Nashville.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Well Sulzer is better than Blum and Laakso right now and Josi is hurt. Why would he not be above them?

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:47 PM
kivaerijo

contract?

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:59 PM
smitty10

Right now he is better than the guys that you named. His potential is definately not as high, but he is better right now and more suited for the 6th/7th defenseman role. The other guys need time to develop in the AHL.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:10 AM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Right now he is better than the guys that you named. His potential is definately not as high, but he is better right now and more suited for the 6th/7th defenseman role. The other guys need time to develop in the AHL.
I agree with Josi and Blum perhaps. but I mean I think that Laakso has more potential and is just as ready (if not more) as Sulzer.

Old
10-10-2010, 08:52 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

he has a one way contract. Aaron Johnson likely would have made the team over him, but his two way contract made it cheaper to send him to Milwaukee than Sulzer. It's strictly financial.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd like to know when Light Legs has seen Sulzer to qualify those statements.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:06 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'd like to know when Light Legs has seen Sulzer to qualify those statements.
not just him but anyone... when is the last time Sulzer played an NHL regular season game?

Sulzer is Poiles mistake. He signed him to a one way deal when it looked like he was going to blossom but he hasnt panned out, so instead he gets paid pretty good money to wear a suit on gamenights. His career with the preds will be over once this contract runs out, barring unforseen circumstances. Thus it makes no sense to send him to the minors and still pay him NHL money, and at the same time bring up a prospect and pay them NHL money to be a scratch instead of playing every night in milwaukee for AHL money.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:13 PM
OpenWheel

Yes he's a Poile mistake. (A one way? Although back then we had fewer choices.) But I saw some of his minutes in pre-season. And he can play IMO. No he's not going to be a star, but if they have to use him he'll acquit himself just fine. He does have some international play experience where supposedly he played well. Contract is most likely not the only or main reason he made the team. (I mean, they are going to send him down right?) He was right there with the others on the bubble. People who keep repeating that was the main reason should probably get a Poile or Trotz quote to back themselves up or at least pull the "I can't say who it was but one of the coaches told me..." line.

Old
10-10-2010, 03:21 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Yes he's a Poile mistake. (A one way? Although back then we had fewer choices.) But I saw some of his minutes in pre-season. And he can play IMO. No he's not going to be a star, but if they have to use him he'll acquit himself just fine. He does have some international play experience where supposedly he played well. Contract is most likely not the only or main reason he made the team. (I mean, they are going to send him down right?) He was right there with the others on the bubble. People who keep repeating that was the main reason should probably get a Poile or Trotz quote to back themselves up or at least pull the "I can't say who it was but one of the coaches told me..." line.
I dont think they are going to send him down. it doesnt save any money to do so and if they needed him later he would have to go through reentry waivers and you can bet someone will snag him if they only have to pay him half of league minimum.

So I do think when deciding who to send down and who to keep here as a permascratch contract had everything to do with it. we save almost half a million dollars by sending down johnson instead of Sulzer and we cannot lose Johnson on the way back up if we need him.

Old
10-10-2010, 03:44 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
So I do think when deciding who to send down and who to keep here as a permascratch contract had everything to do with it. we save almost half a million dollars by sending down johnson instead of Sulzer and we cannot lose Johnson on the way back up if we need him.
Or, he outplayed Johnson in Trotz' view, and the pundits talking about how well Johnson played compared to Sulzer are wrong. Ever seen that happen?

We'll see, if they never use Sulzer, yet keep him here, or recall Johnson and play him instead if someone gets hurt, I'll probably agree. I just know the minutes I saw Sulzer played pretty solid. But I'm no defensive play expert fan I freely admit, compared to some who lauded Johnson's play.

I'm just tired of the knocks on Sulzer when he has a pretty good pedigree at lower levels and has made the team for games before. Just because he can't crack the top six. Johnson isn't in anybody's top six either.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-10-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old
10-10-2010, 04:05 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Or, he outplayed Johnson in Trotz' view, and the pundits talking about how well Johnson played compared to Sulzer are wrong. Ever seen that happen?

We'll see, if they never use Sulzer, yet keep him here, or recall Johnson and play him instead if someone gets hurt, I'll probably agree. I just know the minutes I saw Sulzer played pretty solid. But I'm no defensive play expert fan I freely admit, compared to some who lauded Johnson's play.

I'm just tired of the knocks on Sulzer when he has a pretty good pedigree at lower levels and has made the team for games before. Just because he can't crack the top six. Johnson isn't in anybody's top six either.
all Im saying is, unless Johnson was demonstrably better than Sulzer, the contract situation is the deciding factor in who goes to milwaukee and who stays here and is a permascratch. Remember all we are talking about is the #7 slot. If the coaches thought Sulzer was good enough, he'd be in the top 6 and we likely wouldnt have re-signed Cube or traded for OBrien

Old
10-10-2010, 04:31 PM
OpenWheel

And they didn't think Johnson was good enough either. So we still don't know who outplayed whom. Sure, Johnson probably had a small extra hurdle to overcome. I'd say that's about all we know.

Old
10-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
And they didn't think Johnson was good enough either. So we still don't know who outplayed whom. Sure, Johnson probably had a small extra hurdle to overcome. I'd say that's about all we know.
Johnson was a Blue Jackets draft pick. That's why.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 04:57 PM
OpenWheel

Oh, I see. Maybe he had an even bigger hurdle to overcome before the Preds brass would allow him to play for us, lol.

Although Vader invited Luke to be part of HIS team.

Old
10-10-2010, 05:50 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Remember Obrien only came up on very short notice. If that trade hadnt been made who knows if Sulzer or Parent would have been the #6 and who would have been #7 or if they would have rotated.

SOB's acquisiton locked up the top 6 because there was no way they would trade for a guy making 1.6 ml with the intent of scratching him.

once SOB was acquired and the only spot in question was #7 then Johnsons contract was the main determinant of who stayed and who went. It really is moot who was better in camp between him and Sulzer. I really think even if johnson had been head and shoulders above sulzer he still would have gone down.

the way we will know which player is held in better esteem is when there is an injury. if we call someone up and play them ahead of Sulzer then we will know he is low in the coaches eyes. if Sulzer steps in then he was the true #7 in the coaches eyes.

Old
10-11-2010, 01:54 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
he has a one way contract. Aaron Johnson likely would have made the team over him, but his two way contract made it cheaper to send him to Milwaukee than Sulzer. It's strictly financial.
That is how an internal cap will hurt us. We should be playing the "best" player, not the one who makes the most. That sucks! It is not fair for the players busting their ass to get us into a good playoff seed, then we have some goof that can't even play at the NHL level but Poile has to play him because he made the goof-up by giving him a one-way contract. I saw trade Sulzer for ANYTHING!! a 7th round pick or a bag of pucks and I am happy! It will free up roster space and money.

Quote:
not just him but anyone... when is the last time Sulzer played an NHL regular season game?

Sulzer is Poiles mistake. He signed him to a one way deal when it looked like he was going to blossom but he hasnt panned out, so instead he gets paid pretty good money to wear a suit on gamenights. His career with the preds will be over once this contract runs out, barring unforseen circumstances. Thus it makes no sense to send him to the minors and still pay him NHL money, and at the same time bring up a prospect and pay them NHL money to be a scratch instead of playing every night in milwaukee for AHL money.
Amen Brotha!

Quote:
all Im saying is, unless Johnson was demonstrably better than Sulzer, the contract situation is the deciding factor in who goes to milwaukee and who stays here and is a permascratch. Remember all we are talking about is the #7 slot. If the coaches thought Sulzer was good enough, he'd be in the top 6 and we likely wouldnt have re-signed Cube or traded for OBrien

Yeah like no kidding eh!

Who could Sulzer possibly remove from the line-up's top 6?? Not 1 of em!

Now Blum and Josi have been in the system for a while and I think this should damn well be the season at least one of them get a shot! Plus Aarson Johnson and Laakso both have more potential and can play better than Sulzer at NHL level. The way I see it, Sulzer would be lucky to ge a top 10 d-man on this team. He is my least fav. predator without a doubt!

Old
10-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post

Who could Sulzer possibly remove from the line-up's top 6?? Not 1 of em!

Sulzer would be lucky to ge a top 10 d-man on this team. He is my least fav. predator without a doubt!
Your forget how stacked this team is. 15-20 NHL teams would love to have him on as a 5-6 Dman (maybe even 3-4 in Anaheim...). We have been spoiled by watching some of the best in the league man our blue line, and we forget that not everyone is that good. Sulzer, while no superstar, is a servicably 5-6 defensman, and does not "suck"

How can he be your least favorite when he's barely played for us? Opinions of players shouldn't be based of what we think, but what we have seen in actually games from that player. I'm holding judgement until someone goes down with an injury and he gets a shot.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Your forget how stacked this team is. 15-20 NHL teams would love to have him on as a 5-6 Dman (maybe even 3-4 in Anaheim...). We have been spoiled by watching some of the best in the league man our blue line, and we forget that not everyone is that good. Sulzer, while no superstar, is a servicably 5-6 defensman, and does not "suck"

How can he be your least favorite when he's barely played for us? Opinions of players shouldn't be based of what we think, but what we have seen in actually games from that player. I'm holding judgement until someone goes down with an injury and he gets a shot.
That is why I dislike him. Whenever he has got a chance he just gets hurts. Then he is on a one-way contract which forces Poile (because of his own mistake with Sulzer contract) to keep him on the NHL level and therefore not ice our "best" possible team defensively. He just does not fit in with our team and is a waste I personally feel. and that is my opinion,

Get Laakso in there over him! Even better would be Josi or Blum.

Maybe he doesn't "suck" but he is definitely not our best guy for the job, not even close...

Isnt the point of hockey to ice your best team and win?

Last edited by lightning_legwand*: 10-11-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old
10-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
That is why I dislike him. Whenever he has got a chance he just gets hurts. Then he is on a one-way contract which forces Poile (because of his own mistake with Sulzer contract) to keep him on the NHL level and therefore not ice our "best" possible team defensively. He just does not fit in with our team and is a waste I personally feel. and that is my opinion,

Get Laakso in there over him! Even better would be Josi or Blum.

Maybe he doesn't "suck" but he is definitely not our best guy for the job, not even close...

Isnt the point of hockey to ice your best team and win?
Yes, but you have to look past this year. Sulzer is our #7 becuase Blum, Ellis, and Josi need time to develop in the minor in order to achieve their full potential. Sulzer is a 5-6 at best, bu those three have the potential be be very good players. Poile and Trotz are looking down the road and trying to get our best prospects more ice time. Wearing a suit in the press box wont get Blum or Josi any better.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:26 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Yes, but you have to look past this year. Sulzer is our #7 becuase Blum, Ellis, and Josi need time to develop in the minor in order to achieve their full potential. Sulzer is a 5-6 at best, bu those three have the potential be be very good players. Poile and Trotz are looking down the road and trying to get our best prospects more ice time. Wearing a suit in the press box wont get Blum or Josi any better.
Sure, maybe Josi can use a full season of prime ice time in Milwaukee because this is his first year in North America. I also think Ellis is a couple years away as well, but Blum has been drafted for over 3 years, was a first round pick, and has dominated wherever he has played, he deserves to PLAY for Nashville. Sulzer being in a suit and tie is just ridiculous, for a team that has an internal cap.

Old
10-11-2010, 04:45 PM
PredsChik

are you suggesting we don't carry a 7th dman?

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote