HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Want Full Player Disclosure with Injuries

Old
10-09-2010, 07:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This is actually a really big deal. I don't expect this issue to go away quietly.

I don't know all of the legal ramifications behind Leighton's actions (and he's the only one who applies since Lappy was already under contract), but wouldn't wrongfully withholding information relevant to the situation during contract negotiations be a breach of contract?

If you signed a contract for a construction worker to put up wood framing for a house, and he knowingly gave you wood full of termites, he's held legally responsible for the damage/financial issues directly related to that.

I understand Leighton's intentions were to get signed and secure income, but that's something he cannot legally do.
There would probably have to be something in the contract stating that he doesn't have an injury, otherwise, I am not sure if there would be any ramifications. Also it would be up to the Flyers to prove that he had the injury, which would be very difficult absent some sort of records stating that he had the injury.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 07:30 PM
CavemanLawyer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I understood that quote as: there's no way in hell Michael Leighton's contract was even under consideration of being insured.
Bingo. It's quite obvious that's exactly what he meant.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
There would probably have to be something in the contract stating that he doesn't have an injury, otherwise, I am not sure if there would be any ramifications. Also it would be up to the Flyers to prove that he had the injury, which would be very difficult absent some sort of records stating that he had the injury.
Ah, you're not paying attention.

The only reason we know about all of this is because Michael Leighton has admitted what happened.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:14 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
If this implies that Homer thought that Leighton was a top-5 player, can he just kill himself, please?
I read this more as him implying Leighton is NOT one of the top five, and therefore uninsured.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
I disagree about this being a big deal. This is going to be blown way out of proportion. Every sports team says they want players to be open and honest.

But, bottom line, players are commodities (mostly in the NFL, because contracts are not guaranteed, but the broader point still stands).

Leighton wanted to get paid, and acted unethically, because otherwise, he'd be living in a van down by the river.
not sure if you are kidding about this - if not then - How the hell would you know whether or not he was completely honest about the severity of his symptoms? No problem if it's just your opinion because you certainly could be right.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
not sure if you are kidding about this - if not then - How the hell would you know whether or not he was completely honest about the severity of his symptoms? No problem if it's just your opinion because you certainly could be right.
Well, based on Leighton's own story, he didn't tell the Flyers that his back was a problem prior to the contract getting signed.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:33 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
While I accept that the entire story may not be out, but by Leighton's own admission, he was hurt and told no one.

That's unethical, bottom line. Feel free to disagree.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Flyerfan808

If Lappy and Leighton are upfront about their injuries and their salaries come off the books, could we have kept Gagne?

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:41 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
If Lappy and Leighton are upfront about their injuries and their salaries come off the books, could we have kept Gagne?
No. Holmgren's course of action was clear from the beginning.

He was going to get Turco/Nabby + Hamhuis + a forward with Gagne's money regardless.

That ended up being Leighton + Meszaros + Zherdev.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:31 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I think it was a foregone conclusion for most of the end of last season that someone had to be moved for cap reasons, and Gagne had the most moveable contract (one year left on the deal, excellent production player, worth his salary). So, no.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:06 AM
captainpaxil

i could see this becoming an issue in the next cba. hockeys attitude towards injuries makes it gambling prohibitive and thus decreases its popularity. this is just snider learning the lesson that vegas has known for a while. :caution wild speculation follows: i could also see snider/bettman pushing this story forward as a means to that end advancing a cause to the forefront in order to gan leverage in the next cba.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote