HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cam Fowler Discussion: (What's Best? Rookie Wall? Now What?)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-09-2010, 01:50 PM
  #26
2faded
Registered User
 
2faded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lomita, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Naked View Post
If he keeps playing the way he has been, he'll stick. While it's not the Ducks MO to play players who were just drafted, it's also not Carlyle's MO to praise rookies and he's had nothing but praise for Fowler, so this situation seems unique.

Some people think he needs to spend a year in juniors to bulk up, but the game he plays doesn't really demand being 215lbs. He doesn't get hit often due to his insane skating and awareness and when he initiates physically he does just enough to separate the player from the puck and take it from him.

The way he's playing right now, I think he'd learn a hell of a lot more playing in the NHL rather than playing in Juniors.
Agree 100% with everything you say here. Also, as someone else said in the other GDT I believe, it would be a slap in the face to send him down if he is indeed earning his spot.

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:19 PM
  #27
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,317
vCash: 500
One thing to consider is that a team like Detroit is the kind where Fowler would match up well. But it does show that he can be very effective when on.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:19 PM
  #28
Sirquacksalot
Magic
 
Sirquacksalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Mojave
Posts: 4,796
vCash: 500
Who knows, maybe nieds will un-retire to spend time with such a talented young d-man...

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 04:47 PM
  #29
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,538
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
This is true.

I don't know. I'm just not sold on Visnovsky as a #1. I'd actually be more comfortable with Fowler playing those extra minutes as crazy as it sounds.
Lubo isn't a #1 defenseman. He's a #2 guy. I suspect he'll do his best work when a #1 defenseman carries most of the workload, and does most of the legwork, allowing Lubo to step on the ice and play his game. Last night was a perfect example of just how weak Lubo is defensively, and why he needs to be protected. Detroit manhandled him in the corners, and Lubo just doesn't seem to have the ability to overcome that on a consistent basis.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:18 PM
  #30
Selanne138
Registered User
 
Selanne138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Lubo isn't a #1 defenseman. He's a #2 guy. I suspect he'll do his best work when a #1 defenseman carries most of the workload, and does most of the legwork, allowing Lubo to step on the ice and play his game. Last night was a perfect example of just how weak Lubo is defensively, and why he needs to be protected. Detroit manhandled him in the corners, and Lubo just doesn't seem to have the ability to overcome that on a consistent basis.
Completely agreed. Lubo looked great to us last season, because Neids was taking the dirty minutes, and Lubo could do what he does best. He is a great player, but not a number one.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:52 AM
  #31
caliamad
Registered User
 
caliamad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
yep. We need someone to compliment and right now thats a tall order for Mikkelson.

I think he'll look better once he gets time with Lydman, but Mara is actually the best guy we have in our lineup for that and he's already slated to play with Fowler.

Sutton seems like a poor choice for either Fowler or Visnovsky... he'll be a great #5, but really stretching as #4.

I can't believe how much of a disapoint Sbisa is right now. I mean I think Festerling belongs here before him right now.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:45 AM
  #32
Degenerate191
Registered User
 
Degenerate191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 1,652
vCash: 500
I thought Sbisa started to look a little bit better after the first. Then again, it was difficult to pay too much attention to him when everything else was going so poorly. Fowler is outplaying everyone we have by a pretty good margin.

Degenerate191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 04:00 AM
  #33
Unholy
Moderator
 
Unholy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RSM, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,660
vCash: 500
He should. He's playing really well, no reason to send him down unless he struggles which he has not shown at all since camp started.

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 04:39 AM
  #34
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,886
vCash: 500
Originally I wanted Fowler to be sent back but the way he's playing there's no way they can justify sending him to juniors.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 04:40 AM
  #35
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly
 
jax00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaslime
Country: United States
Posts: 8,560
vCash: 500
Too be fair to Sbisa, Brookbank wasn't giving him much help. Tough to look solid when you continually cover for someone else's mistakes. Although he did make a few poor plays by himself, we don't have any other options until Sutton and Lydman are healthy.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:43 AM
  #36
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!
 
KelVarnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mission Viejo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,438
vCash: 500
Brookbank has been awful. He seriously sinks right now. You are right. Sbisa was covering for him all night. Brookbank should be scratched.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:57 AM
  #37
Jerky Leclerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Anaheim
Country: United States
Posts: 7,634
vCash: 500
Too much blame has been placed on our defense. If you want to blame anyone, blame the forwards who isn't controlling the play at all in the other end. Hiller has faced a shooting gallery the past two games.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:09 PM
  #38
Lupul1990
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Originally I wanted Fowler to be sent back but the way he's playing there's no way they can justify sending him to juniors.
How about "We're sending you to juniors, so that next year you can play with Larsson in first pair" ?

Lupul1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:54 PM
  #39
Bender66
Duck you
 
Bender66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
Too much blame has been placed on our defense. If you want to blame anyone, blame the forwards who isn't controlling the play at all in the other end. Hiller has faced a shooting gallery the past two games.
I agree. The defense isn't anything to write home about, but the forwards are doing a piss poor job in the defensive zone.

Especially RPG (Getzlaf mostly). Getzlaf's usual early season floating is on in full effect in the defensive zone, he looked lost a couple times like he forgot what guy he's supposed to be covering, and sometimes he looked like he just had no gas left in the tank. Not a good sign 2 games into the season.

Bender66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:07 PM
  #40
wesott11
Registered User
 
wesott11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: huntington beach,CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
At this point it doesn't matter how the defense plays, we aren't going to win unless our offense gets their heads out of their ***es. The RPG line looks like they're lost out there. The offensive passing is always at least a foot off the mark which is slowing our boys down not allowing a play to form. It's embarrassing to watch... On the positive side, I've decided I'm okay with having this year be a "transition year" for our team. Let a few guys like marchant and Blake finish out their contracts so next year we have cap room and actually have the option of petting people EARN roster spots.

wesott11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:55 PM
  #41
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey
 
mmbt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesott11 View Post
At this point it doesn't matter how the defense plays, we aren't going to win unless our offense gets their heads out of their ***es. The RPG line looks like they're lost out there. The offensive passing is always at least a foot off the mark which is slowing our boys down not allowing a play to form. It's embarrassing to watch... On the positive side, I've decided I'm okay with having this year be a "transition year" for our team. Let a few guys like marchant and Blake finish out their contracts so next year we have cap room and actually have the option of petting people EARN roster spots.
Yeah, at this point, 1 goal in two games just ain't gonna cut it ... even if we still had two Norris dmen, we can't expect to win by shutout every game.

I agree about the passing, and it seems to have been a chronic problem with our Carlyle teams (not saying it's coaching, might be personnel). Even in the Cup year, I think our puck possession was achieved mostly after dumping the puck in and grinding/cycling away, not by tape-to-tape passes.

I too went into this year thinking more about a transitional type season. Even if we acquired a stud dman, our overall D would still suck until some of the kids begin to pan out as impact players, which even an optimist would have to say would start to happen next year at the earliest.

That being said, the team should be better than they showed in the first two games.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:15 PM
  #42
Chexxum
Registered User
 
Chexxum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 934
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Chexxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender66 View Post
I agree. The defense isn't anything to write home about, but the forwards are doing a piss poor job in the defensive zone.

Especially RPG (Getzlaf mostly). Getzlaf's usual early season floating is on in full effect in the defensive zone, he looked lost a couple times like he forgot what guy he's supposed to be covering, and sometimes he looked like he just had no gas left in the tank. Not a good sign 2 games into the season.

This. It's only been two games, but Getzlaf has been floating around too much in the d zone. When he does get the puck, he stands still and makes a bad breakout pass that usually gets broken up by a forechecker or misses everyone and goes down for icing. He needs to start skating the puck up the ice, he has the ability to stickhandle around people, why not use it?

Chexxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:24 PM
  #43
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,538
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
Too much blame has been placed on our defense. If you want to blame anyone, blame the forwards who isn't controlling the play at all in the other end. Hiller has faced a shooting gallery the past two games.
I agree that the forwards aren't playing as well as they should be, but with an inept blue line that also had to be expected to a degree. It's the defense that gets the puck to the forwards to begin with, and so far it seems like only Fowler has been able to do that consistently.

That being said, our forwards have to be better. I love Selanne to death, but everytime he gets the puck on his stick he's turning it over if he isn't shooting it. I also hate seeing Ryan trying to deke his way through the opposing team when he has a passing option. I saw him try that at least two or three times last game, and he was out-numbered every time. That's just not smart. And don't get me started on Getzlaf. He's playing like he just doesn't care anymore. Careless passes to no one, oh, but they look good when he does it! He's playing too casual, like the games just don't matter.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:26 PM
  #44
Theridion
Registered User
 
Theridion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
Seeing as this is a Fowler thread...

The kid looks good. He's not a #1 type guy (don't begin to compare him to our former #1's like Pronger and Neidermayer) He's not a shut-down type guy. I really wish Neidermayer was still playing and Fowler got a chance to watch him and his stickwork/footwork. That's more his style than Pronger's physical shut-down style.

#54 would be an awesome tradition for our high draft picks breaking into the NHL.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:27 PM
  #45
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!
 
KelVarnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mission Viejo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
Seeing as this is a Fowler thread...

The kid looks good. He's not a #1 type guy (don't begin to compare him to our former #1's like Pronger and Neidermayer) He's not a shut-down type guy. I really wish Neidermayer was still playing and Fowler got a chance to watch him and his stickwork/footwork. That's more his style than Pronger's physical shut-down style.

#54 would be an awesome tradition for our high draft picks breaking into the NHL.
Not a #1 type guy? The 18 year old kid has played pretty good so far but you say he is not a #1 type guy? I hope you mean for this season only. If you mean in the future as well then I would say you are jumping to conclusions.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:59 PM
  #46
2faded
Registered User
 
2faded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lomita, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Not a #1 type guy? The 18 year old kid has played pretty good so far but you say he is not a #1 type guy? I hope you mean for this season only. If you mean in the future as well then I would say you are jumping to conclusions.
Seriously. Considering how good he's been so far, if he continues to improve I would say he's going to be a damn good #1 for us in the future.

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:33 PM
  #47
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,317
vCash: 500
It might come down to the coach vs the team. It looks like Fowler would help the team now. He's the only guy that can move the puck. So the coach, trying to win now, would keep Fowler up.

Now the team may or may not think that's best for Fowler long term. And the team may or may not want to win this year.


I was looking at ice times and Fowler got a decent amount of ice on the PK. But why the hell does Mikkelson have 6:45 minutes PK time per game?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:47 PM
  #48
Unholy
Moderator
 
Unholy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RSM, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
It might come down to the coach vs the team. It looks like Fowler would help the team now. He's the only guy that can move the puck. So the coach, trying to win now, would keep Fowler up.

Now the team may or may not think that's best for Fowler long term. And the team may or may not want to win this year.


I was looking at ice times and Fowler got a decent amount of ice on the PK. But why the hell does Mikkelson have 6:45 minutes PK time per game?
RC is playing Mikkelson way too much. But considering Lydman and Sutton are out I can see why. Once everyone is healthy he will be back with bottom pairing minutes. Even with Sbisa playing bad just 2 games into the season, him with 11:31 per game and Mikk with 19:56 is just crazy

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:54 PM
  #49
DuckJet
Destiny pls
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,506
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
Seriously. Considering how good he's been so far, if he continues to improve I would say he's going to be a damn good #1 for us in the future.
+1 If I remember correctly last season Fowler was a rookie in the ohl. And from there he has jumped straight to the nhl and has been able to handle it so far. That isn't common for 18 year olds. I think the worst that can happen is he turns into Hedman, who still has number one dman potential. It'll just take him longer to get there. All the little things that will make Fowler a number one dman will be picked up as he moves along. All defensemen of that caliber eventually have to learn those things, it isn't inherent. The only things that are natural are poise, maturity, and intelligence all things that Fowler already possesses. All he needs is to put polish on his already impressive game.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:49 AM
  #50
2faded
Registered User
 
2faded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lomita, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks6607 View Post
+1 If I remember correctly last season Fowler was a rookie in the ohl. And from there he has jumped straight to the nhl and has been able to handle it so far. That isn't common for 18 year olds. I think the worst that can happen is he turns into Hedman, who still has number one dman potential. It'll just take him longer to get there. All the little things that will make Fowler a number one dman will be picked up as he moves along. All defensemen of that caliber eventually have to learn those things, it isn't inherent. The only things that are natural are poise, maturity, and intelligence all things that Fowler already possesses. All he needs is to put polish on his already impressive game.
Well said, and I agree. It is very exciting to watch, and every game that he is allowed to stay in the NHL one game longer is a treat to all of us fans.

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.