HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas Greiss placed on waivers...interest?

Old
10-10-2010, 04:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
If this happened in another month I'd entertain it provided one of Bobrovsky or Boucher wasn't working out.

It's still a good time to get guys through waivers.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:42 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

vCash: 500
It doesn't matter, there's no way 28 other teams are going to pass up Greiss. By the time we get our chance, he'll have been claimed.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Forgot to mention to waive Boosh as well. Lets get a Bob/Greiss tandem going for this season. When Pronger returns, it will certainly help them.
So the Flyers, considered a Stanley Cup contender, decide to pin their hopes on two goalies with a combined 20 games of NHL experience?

Yea, I don't think so.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Boosh is a competent backup (so is Leighton) and Bob is looking very good. So, no. Though the team should obviously consider it.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 06:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
So the Flyers, considered a Stanley Cup contender, decide to pin their hopes on two goalies with a combined 20 games of NHL experience?

Yea, I don't think so.
You mean the same team that pinned their hopes on two career backups right?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You mean the same team that pinned their hopes on two career backups right?
Good point. I probably shouldn't assume anything with this organization, especially with Homer holding the reins.

Old
10-10-2010, 08:56 PM
SgtJoseph

Our goal tending is just fine in my opinion, i see no reason to go after a goalie at all.Every night on NHL highlites on the NHL channel i see all kinds of bad goals by even some of the big name netminders etc, i think we are in pretty good shape in the nets....Now if we can find some face off guys that would be a plus !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Mota

Why not? After last year where we pretty much had to pick goalies off the street to back up...picking up another one, especially when leighton is already battling injury, isnt a bad idea. Plus having Bob, Greiss, and eventually Ericsson in your system gives you a pretty good chance of finding a long-term starter in your near future.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Forgot to mention to waive Boosh as well. Lets get a Bob/Greiss tandem going for this season. When Pronger returns, it will certainly help them.
I didn't forget, I just would rather keep Boucher to either one of those two because he is playing well right now and is healthy, whereas those two are both coming back from injury. I would waive Leighton honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
If you think he is at least equal to backlund, release backlund and pick up greiss.
This is kind of how I feel, except you could say Leighton or Backlund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's been one game and he looked good. Gonna have to give him some more time and see how he plays before passing judgment on him. Saying he won't make it the entire season is just as good a guess as saying he will at this point.
The odds with rookie goalies through history are with me on this one. And I would say that it's been one game and he's looked very talented.

- His puck handling and his decision making need work (to be fair, you could say that for a lot of guys, but he makes me particularly nervous).

- He consistently goes paddle down in the butterfly at bad times out of instinct, leaving the top corner over his shoulder open, but he's not reaching to pull the puck in or move it out of danger....his hand is just sitting there.

- He has a really low, wide stance which is okay to use in certain situations, but playing in that stance all the time tears your hips up. When your knees are straighter and your feet are so wide apart the mechanics of dropping into the butterfly aren't as efficient. He needs some more knee flex and a little narrower feet (that's just my opinion, some goalies might disagree). If you look at the second goal he let in, he was screened but felt a shot coming so he got out to the top of the crease and got in the butterfly to get good net coverage, but because of his stance his five hole was left open. When you have a narrow stance with a lot of knee bend the five hole stays closed naturally, when you are in the stance he has now you're super quick side to side (ex: the stop on Comrie) but dropping straight down into the b-fly from that stance is slower to seal the ice and tends to leave a 5 hole. Moving from stance to stance as the situation calls is something I'm sure he'll work on.

- He is losing the puck on plays behind the goal line and in traffic. Case in point the shot that went off the inside of his left pad in Pittsburgh. This is just a matter of playing more actual games on smaller ice for longer IMO.

- He hugs his post for too long on some plays and doesn't use the opportunity to reset his feet.

- He skates in more of a straight line side-to-side when he's tracking the puck, as opposed to in an arc at the top of his crease. This can lead to him not being square on some shots from towards the boards. He doesn't do this all the time though.

That all having been said he's great at all of the physical skills you just can't teach. He's going to be a nasty goalie someday for sure, but unless he progresses unbelievably, I don't think that this will be the year he becomes a starter.

Quote:
Even beyond Bob we still have Leighton on IR and Backlund in the AHL. Between Bob, Backlund, and Leighton I'd be amazed if a starter didn't turn up sooner or later. Even if none of them are up to par, that's what a trade deadline is for. It's not like Greiss is an established NHL goalie either. He played relatively well as a backup in San Jose and that's it. His potential for NHL play this season is about just as good as Bobrovsky. So it's not like we're missing out on some prized gem here.

The only way getting Greiss makes sense is if we replace Boosh with him. Which won't happen for a variety of reasons.
Greiss also looked pretty sharp in the Olympics when he was starting for Germany.

Well, it makes sense to get Greiss if we are replacing Leighton with him also, and then sending Bobrovsky down to work on his game. Let Greiss and Boucher share starts in the NHL and Leighton can heal up or sit on IR all season or practice his golf swing, don't care really. I understand that nobody really shares my opinion on Bobrovsky, which is part of what this move is predicated upon.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:52 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I didn't forget, I just would rather keep Boucher to either one of those two because he is playing well right now and is healthy, whereas those two are both coming back from injury. I would waive Leighton honestly.

This is kind of how I feel, except you could say Leighton or Backlund.

The odds with rookie goalies through history are with me on this one. And I would say that it's been one game and he's looked very talented.

- His puck handling and his decision making need work (to be fair, you could say that for a lot of guys, but he makes me particularly nervous).

- He consistently goes paddle down in the butterfly at bad times out of instinct, leaving the top corner over his shoulder open, but he's not reaching to pull the puck in or move it out of danger....his hand is just sitting there.

- He has a really low, wide stance which is okay to use in certain situations, but playing in that stance all the time tears your hips up. When your knees are straighter and your feet are so wide apart the mechanics of dropping into the butterfly aren't as efficient. He needs some more knee flex and a little narrower feet (that's just my opinion, some goalies might disagree). If you look at the second goal he let in, he was screened but felt a shot coming so he got out to the top of the crease and got in the butterfly to get good net coverage, but because of his stance his five hole was left open. When you have a narrow stance with a lot of knee bend the five hole stays closed naturally, when you are in the stance he has now you're super quick side to side (ex: the stop on Comrie) but dropping straight down into the b-fly from that stance is slower to seal the ice and tends to leave a 5 hole. Moving from stance to stance as the situation calls is something I'm sure he'll work on.

- He is losing the puck on plays behind the goal line and in traffic. Case in point the shot that went off the inside of his left pad in Pittsburgh. This is just a matter of playing more actual games on smaller ice for longer IMO.

- He hugs his post for too long on some plays and doesn't use the opportunity to reset his feet.

- He skates in more of a straight line side-to-side when he's tracking the puck, as opposed to in an arc at the top of his crease. This can lead to him not being square on some shots from towards the boards. He doesn't do this all the time though.

That all having been said he's great at all of the physical skills you just can't teach. He's going to be a nasty goalie someday for sure, but unless he progresses unbelievably, I don't think that this will be the year he becomes a starter.

Greiss also looked pretty sharp in the Olympics when he was starting for Germany.

Well, it makes sense to get Greiss if we are replacing Leighton with him also, and then sending Bobrovsky down to work on his game. Let Greiss and Boucher share starts in the NHL and Leighton can heal up or sit on IR all season or practice his golf swing, don't care really. I understand that nobody really shares my opinion on Bobrovsky, which is part of what this move is predicated upon.
I actually agree with the majority of your analysis on Bobrovsky. A couple points regarding the width of his stance and his play on/off the post I may not necessarily agree with in their entirety, but for the most part I think you're spot on. These are all of the things I've been noticing, and discussing (though I've never taken the time to write it up as fully as you have).

It's a long shot that he stays with the club all year. Some of his bad habits from a lack of real coaching and technique are going to a) get him sniped a lot if he's scouted properly and/or b) wear on him over a long season/career.

Assuming any of our other goalies can play as well as he will, I would rather give him more time to practice, adjust, and iron out technique, rather than ride him into the ground just because we can.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:19 AM
chaosof99*

Not really any interest in Greiss for the Flyers, though I always sympathize with germanophones. Despite rumors to the contrary, the Flyers have enough NHL ready goaltenders. He'll probably end up in Anaheim to replace McElhinney, or perhaps in Atlanta, depending on Pavelec's status.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:02 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Honestly, I have faith in the Boucher-Bobrovsky tandum, they both showed they are ready to carry to load.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:43 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Honestly, I have faith in the Boucher-Bobrovsky tandum, they both showed they are ready to carry to load.
I think you mean, "they both showed they are ready to play well in one game."

I'm still not 100% sold on the duo. We have no idea if they can continue to play as well as they have over the duration of the season. After all, we're only through 2/82....

Old
10-11-2010, 07:02 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Small sample size is small.

I think the biggest problem with getting Greiss is that we have too many goalies and not enough places to put them. We can't just release Backlund; we just signed him. Same with Leighton.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
They did, didn't they?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

I'm still not 100% sold on the duo. We have no idea if they can continue to play as well as they have over the duration of the season. After all, we're only through 2/82....
That's pretty ungenerous. Bobrovsky has preseason and his KHL play to judge him on and Boosh has a long record of NHL play to his name, including some this past preseason.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:25 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
That's pretty ungenerous. Bobrovsky has preseason and his KHL play to judge him on and Boosh has a long record of NHL play to his name, including some this past preseason.
And this qualifies them to carry the load for the full season?

Boucher hasn't been a reliable starter in ten years. He's had his streaks, but to rely on him for ~40 or more games?

Bobrovsky is a kid who played less than an NHL starter's load for one of the worst teams in the KHL.

Neither have proven they're capable of being reliably good night in, night out over the grind with all of the pressures placed on the Flyers.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm just saying that it's far from proven. So far they've each had one good regular season game. Yes, they also both had good camps, but that's not the same thing.

Old
10-11-2010, 02:43 PM
BernieParent

If - and that's a big "if" - Greiss fell to the Flyers' choice, I'd be in favour of giving him a try. Leighton is projected to be back in 6-8 weeks, which is a lot of time to have a look at a potential goaltender. And I'm very uncertain about how Leighton will look coming off back surgery.

I agree with G the D about the long shot of a rookie bypassing the AHL and playing high-quality goal for a whole NHL season. Then again, Greiss hasn't exactly lit up the NHL (2.77 and .906 in 19 games) or the AHL (2.70 and .904 in 141 games). Beyond these numbers, and his great game against Canada in the Olympics, I don't know much about Greiss. At this point, with Leighton out, I'd lean more towards Boucher/Greiss (NHL) and Bob/Backlund (AHL).

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

Boucher hasn't been a reliable starter in ten years. He's had his streaks, but to rely on him for ~40 or more games?

Bobrovsky is a kid who played less than an NHL starter's load for one of the worst teams in the KHL.

Neither have proven they're capable of being reliably good night in, night out over the grind with all of the pressures placed on the Flyers.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm just saying that it's far from proven. So far they've each had one good regular season game. Yes, they also both had good camps, but that's not the same thing.
You didn't say that earlier. You responded to a poster saying that they've shown that they're ready to play well and said that they've only had one game that indicates they're playing well. You said nothing about being a starter. So it's flat-out untrue for two reasons. Not only is there much, much more then one game to judge them on, but they have both played well given their roles and given proper perspective on all things.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:57 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If - and that's a big "if" - Greiss fell to the Flyers' choice, I'd be in favour of giving him a try. Leighton is projected to be back in 6-8 weeks, which is a lot of time to have a look at a potential goaltender. And I'm very uncertain about how Leighton will look coming off back surgery.

I agree with G the D about the long shot of a rookie bypassing the AHL and playing high-quality goal for a whole NHL season. Then again, Greiss hasn't exactly lit up the NHL (2.77 and .906 in 19 games) or the AHL (2.70 and .904 in 141 games). Beyond these numbers, and his great game against Canada in the Olympics, I don't know much about Greiss. At this point, with Leighton out, I'd lean more towards Boucher/Greiss (NHL) and Bob/Backlund (AHL).
All I can say is, I wish we had Bernier.

That way we would have Bernier/Boucher and Bobrovsky/Backlund.

So many B's in G.

Old
10-11-2010, 03:03 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
You didn't say that earlier. You responded to a poster saying that they've shown that they're ready to play well and said that they've only had one game that indicates they're playing well. You said nothing about being a starter. So it's flat-out untrue for two reasons. Not only is there much, much more then one game to judge them on, but they have both played well given their roles and given proper perspective on all things.

Quote:

Quote:

You were saying?

Obviously I've seen them play through camp and not literally just one game. But this year, we've seen them each play one game at a high level during the season. Even if you include camp, and their body of the work in recent years - it still does not prove they can carry the load, which is what I was originally replying to.

There is nothing false about what I said at all.

Old
10-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

if he is somehow there (28 teams pass) then yes, do it. lol @ there being no space for him in the org, did you see how many goalies we went through last year? they were an inch from suiting up Pelle Lindbergh's corpse. i don't think backlund is an unmoveable piece, folks.

anyway, it is moot because he will not be available.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
if he is somehow there (28 teams pass) then yes, do it. lol @ there being no space for him in the org, did you see how many goalies we went through last year? they were an inch from suiting up Pelle Lindbergh's corpse. i don't think backlund is an unmoveable piece, folks.

anyway, it is moot because he will not be available.
Yea, he won't be available because he cleared waivers today. Nobody bit and he's headed to Worcester.

But this wasn't exactly news to those who have taken a quick glance at the goalie market over the last few months. Prospect goalies with 19 games of NHL experience aren't exactly in high demand, even when they're essentially free. The overrating of Greiss on the main boards was ridiculous, and now, all is quiet on that front.