HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Still Interested in Brad Richards

Old
10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Rangers Still Interested in Brad Richards

Brooks today says that the Rangers are still interested in acquiring Brad Richards from the Stars

Link

original article

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:15 PM
ruckus*

"It's an open secret that the Rangers covet Dallas' first-line center Brad Richards..."

In other news, I drive a beat up Honda with 180,000 miles on it. It's a known secret that I covet a new car.

I don't think this is really saying anything at all.

Given all the circumstances, this is just Brooks pointing out something obvious, and I think he was doing it to set up the comments Torts made about Step.

Much ado over nothing.

Insert "trade Dubinsky" conversation....Now!

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Seems impractical considering the Rangers cap situation and the fact that acquiring Richards would likely take one or more of the core that Slats and Torts seem to covet.

I'm telling you, Grachev for St Louis looks like a better deal every day that passes.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:18 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Well it's a simple question... Does Brad Richards make us a legitimate Stanley Cup contender this year? He could, however I would rather exercise patience than trade say Dubinsky, a kid, and a pick or two and end up knocked out of the playoffs most likely. We can take a shot at Richards in the offseason and keep this improving core together. If we trade for Richards this year then the higher ups must think we have a very good shot at the cup with this move because it would certainly cost us valuable assets and a lot of cap space.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Brooks today says that the Rangers are still interested in acquiring Brad Richards from the Stars

Link

original article
At the trade deadline - it would only take about $2M of cap space to fit Brad Richards in. The real issue is that he's going get paid as a UFA on 7/1 - so for it to be a long term thing the Rangers would likely have to move some salary.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Frolov-Richards-Gaboik = Gabby a deff 50 goal socorer.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:21 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Well it's a simple question... Does Brad Richards make us a legitimate Stanley Cup contender this year? He could, however I would rather exercise patience than trade say Dubinsky, a kid, and a pick or two and end up knocked out of the playoffs most likely. We can take a shot at Richards in the offseason and keep this improving core together. If we trade for Richards this year then the higher ups must think we have a very good shot at the cup with this move because it would certainly cost us valuable assets and a lot of cap space.
Depends how well this season goes. If we play solid hockey throughout the season and find ourselves in a solid seeding then I don't think Richards should be ruled out.

Lundqvist isn't getting any younger. Neither is Gaborik. Henrik was 23-24 when he first arrived. He's now pushing 29.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:24 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Depends how well this season goes. If we play solid hockey throughout the season and find ourselves in a solid seeding then I don't think Richards should be ruled out.

Lundqvist isn't getting any younger. Neither is Gaborik. Henrik was 23-24 when he first arrived. He's now pushing 29.
Good point. Here's to hoping for a ridiculously surprising season!

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

True.

It would solidify our offense... but I don't think this is a S-CUP contending defense... not yet anyway. They're young... somewhat soft and inexperienced. IF the plan is to contend this yr I doubt that this could be the ONLY move and have things work out. IF the plan is to contend next yr or for the years after (while Hank and Gabby are in their primes... which is what I believe managment's time frame is) then it makes no sense to go after him now. Especially with an unknown quantity like Stepan at this point.

If Sather is honestly worried about losing his shot at Richards we may see something prior to the deadline... or even slightly earlier but I can't see him making this move now. This is not to even bring up what we'd have to give up for him for 6 months of service and THEN have to re-sign him in the offseason when the ghost of Redden's contract rises from the dead.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:35 PM
pwoz

He's already over 30 and it's a guaranteed 7m+ cap hit that takes him past 40 thanks to the stupid CBA and the stupid salary cap and the stupid Chara and Kovalchuk contracts.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:35 PM
OverTheCap

I'm a big fan of Richards, but let's see how Stepan and Anisimov perform this season before making a trade for him.

I know it's early, but Dallas has gotten off to a decent start so far. I'm not sure how willing they are to trade Richards at this moment. If they were to trade him at all, I assume it would be later in the season when they have a good gauge on what type of team they are.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:41 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

How can they not be? He's exactly what they need, and they have all this depth in the prospect pool. Can't discount the connection with Johnny Cakes and Richards, either.

I would be fine dealing a first round pick, solid prospect, and a role player at the deadline, assuming they work out an extension.

Richards-Stepan-Anisimov-Drury....that would be some lineup at center.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
How can they not be? He's exactly what they need, and they have all this depth in the prospect pool. Can't discount the connection with Johnny Cakes and Richards, either.

I would be fine dealing a first round pick, solid prospect, and a role player at the deadline, assuming they work out an extension.

Richards-Stepan-Anisimov-Drury....that would be some lineup at center.
Extension means;

Rozy must be dealt

Who knows what we'd have to give up to get it, especially kids in the original trade

and... we have to re-sign Callahan, Dubinsky, and Anisimov at years end.

Personally, play it safe, keep our kids, and see if we can get him in free agency if the price is right and the need is there.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:47 PM
94now

Why would Torts need Richards when Stepan is there?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:51 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
"It's an open secret that the Rangers covet Dallas' first-line center Brad Richards..."

In other news, I drive a beat up Honda with 180,000 miles on it. It's a known secret that I covet a new car.

I don't think this is really saying anything at all.

Given all the circumstances, this is just Brooks pointing out something obvious, and I think he was doing it to set up the comments Torts made about Step.

Much ado over nothing.

Insert "trade Dubinsky" conversation....Now!

Bolded = very well put.

Besides, Dallas is looking good right now and they are far from a rebuilding team with Ribiro, Neal, Benn, Erikkson, & Richards in their top 6. Unless they are out of it by the trade deadline I dont see them dealing Richards. With the amount of bottom 8 teams getting into the later rounds of the playoffs they may just look to ride out his contract if they are a playoff team.

Besides, as posted above, why give up multiple players/assests for a guy who is most likely going to reach free agency.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Extension means;

Rozy must be dealt

Who knows what we'd have to give up to get it, especially kids in the original trade

and... we have to re-sign Callahan, Dubinsky, and Anisimov at years end.

Personally, play it safe, keep our kids, and see if we can get him in free agency if the price is right and the need is there.
Eh...I'm sure this won't be a popular sentiment, but I could live with Dubinsky being the key player dealt in a Richards trade. I would imagine Rozsival would be a candidate to be involved in a deal for Richards, too.

All the young guys we have now, and Kreider. You're never going to be able to keep all of them anyway once they're off their entry level deals.

I think Kreider has a higher upside than Dubinsky, and a 1-2 punch of Richards and Stepan is so attractive.

Obviously, this is all a moot point if they feel they can just sign him in July.

Old
10-11-2010, 12:58 PM
DutchShamrock

Anything involving NY and Dal with Richards would almost certainly have to include Roszival. It would actually suit both parties to trade him. Dallas is trying to save money and Roszival could help them do that with his contract. We'll need the cap space at the deadline and during the summer... don't know how we sign Richards and our other free agents in the summer with Redden on the summer cap.

Keep in mind, the price will be determined by fair market value and there are a few teams that could drive the price up on us.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:01 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Why would Torts need Richards when Stepan is there?
Probably because he believes that if he gets Richards it would take us enough over the top that we would be able to compete for the cup... or at least hypothetically.

I don't know if we would we would be cup contenders, but if Richards does come here this team would have an excellent chance of winning the division and making a splash in the playoffs

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:05 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Eh...I'm sure this won't be a popular sentiment, but I could live with Dubinsky being the key player dealt in a Richards trade.
Good point. Two goals in one game. His trade value may never be higher.

Dubinsky is going to have a real solid year. Trading him is a mistake.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:09 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Good point. Two goals in one game. His trade value may never be higher.

Dubinsky is going to have a real solid year. Trading him is a mistake.
I have no doubt that he will have a solid year. I just don't think he'll ever be as valuable a player as Brad Richards.

Old
10-11-2010, 01:09 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I'd like to see the Rangers be patient, and see how the chemistry shakes out. I'd be all for a deal for Richards if the Rangers become a legitimate playoff contender. No, I wouldn't give up Dubinsky, but, the likes of Grachev would not be off limits. Plus, quite a few prospects are off to fast starts in their respective junior leagues...the Rangers may end up with ample trade assets by mid-season. A Richards/Stepan/Anisimov trio down the middle would be very nice indeed.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Edge

Not really shocking.

Stepan looks like he has a bright future but it's only one game into his career. Dubinsky just looks so much better as a winger at this point.
The jury is still out on what kind of player Anisimov becomes.

Bottom line is that this team could very much use a guy like Richards. The problem is going to be cost. Because Dallas isn't going to give him away and I'm not sure I want to part with a lot of the younger players who have already shown that they can play in the NHL.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:25 PM
n_a_c

Not for a rental

I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't give up a lot of assets for a rental player who will be UFA. Come July 1st, then bring the briefcase with cash. Before then - keep our assets.

Hypothetically I would be willing to sacrifice some "tier 2" assets - like Weisse, Hagelin, draft picks of 2 or below. But if I were Dallas, that would not be enough to close the book on Richards.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:25 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Probably because he believes that if he gets Richards it would take us enough over the top that we would be able to compete for the cup... or at least hypothetically.

I don't know if we would we would be cup contenders, but if Richards does come here this team would have an excellent chance of winning the division and making a splash in the playoffs
Have you read that?

Quote:
"I don't want to jump the gun, but Step reminds me of a young Brad Richards in Tampa," the head coach said. "He's very similar.
Young BR >> current BR

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:27 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Not really shocking.

Stepan looks like he has a bright future but it's only one game into his career. Dubinsky just looks so much better as a winger at this point.
The jury is still out on what kind of player Anisimov becomes.

Bottom line is that this team could very much use a guy like Richards. The problem is going to be cost. Because Dallas isn't going to give him away and I'm not sure I want to part with a lot of the younger players who have already shown that they can play in the NHL.
Before the draft, the talk was that it was Dallas that was going to be the team that reached for McIlrath. My dream scenario is that we deal a 1st, McIlrath, Rozsival and another prospect. But then again I think McIlrath is going to be a bust. Obviously, this team doesn't.

Maybe they drafted McIlrath just for this purpose.