HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan's Skill Level

Old
10-11-2010, 03:16 PM
t3hg00se

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Callahan's Skill Level

Where did this come from? I feel like he actually has a decent skill set now, one of a top-6 winger. His hands just look great compared to his previous seasons here, his passing has been much better, he has looked great in front of the net. He has just been a better player than he was a year ago, and I think he desperately wants to be that 2nd line RW for us.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or just me?

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:20 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

He's playing with skilled linemates now.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

He scored over 20 goals in 08-09 and would have scored over 20 in 09-10 but for his late season injury. Anyone who can score over 20 goals consistently while being a defense-first player is a second liner in my book.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:25 PM
blueshirt4lyfe

he was a young player who's improving. pretty simple.

blueshirt4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:27 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I don't really see any difference what so ever. Not sure where you're getting this from. His goals aren't going to be a result of his skill, which is average. They'll be a by product of his effort, his positioning, and his hockey sense, which are all phenomenal. He's not Pavel Bure, but he's a pretty fast skater, too, which helps.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I don't really see any difference what so ever. Not sure where you're getting this from. His goals aren't going to be a result of his skill, which is average. They'll be a by product of his effort, his positioning, and his hockey sense, which are all phenomenal. He's not Pavel Bure, but he's a pretty fast skater, too, which helps.
His hockey sense sure was lacking when he decided to take a dumb tripping penalty late in the third

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
I don't see it either. Dubi and Anisimov on the other hand look to have taken a noticeable step forward.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:55 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
His hockey sense sure was lacking when he decided to take a dumb tripping penalty late in the third
That was a very weak call in a poorly officiated game. I'm not going to go as far as to say that the referees cost us the game, but they certainly played a factor. That was probably the worst call of the bunch.

Old
10-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
That was a very weak call in a poorly officiated game. I'm not going to go as far as to say that the referees cost us the game, but they certainly played a factor. That was probably the worst call of the bunch.
I couldn't watch the game on TV so maybe that has something to do with it, but from what I saw although it might have been a little weak Callahan shouldn't have been in that position and had his stick there. Based on what I've heard from others I'll draw back my comment a little until I see it on TV, but I still think it looked bad on his part.

Old
10-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

I don't really see a drastic improvement the efforts always been there I don't think he developed great hands overnight. And that's not a nack on him he always had decent hands and was always pretty good in front of the net. I think he's doing a lot better because anisimov and dubi are both much improved and the three are finally gelling, if anything I think anisimov has shown great improvement in preseason and these two games he's keeping his head up making smart plays with and without the puck. He's playing solid in that 2c spot which is exactly what we needed from him.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:42 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
I don't see it either. Dubi and Anisimov on the other hand look to have taken a noticeable step forward.
I think Dubi has looked good so far but Anisimov not so much. It's only game 2 so who cares but he looks slow physically and making small simple mental mistakes. Maybe I'm being a bit hard on him since i expect more but i just can't say he's looking better than Callahan. Sure he scored a goal but looked invisible the rest of the game

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Ail
k.

A goal-scorer would have potted that fairly open net he had off the errant rebound before Anisimov scored. I like Callahan, a lot actually, but he is still more of a stellar 3rd line grinder in my eyes on a solid cup-contender.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
TomLaidlaw

He looks exactly the same to me.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
A goal-scorer would have potted that fairly open net he had off the errant rebound before Anisimov scored. I like Callahan, a lot actually, but he is still more of a stellar 3rd line grinder in my eyes on a solid cup-contender.
That's really not fair on Cally. The puck was on edge.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:59 PM
XLJ

Maybe its just me but I think he looks a little faster. He has always been a very good skater. I dont really see any increase of skills though. He will score around 20 just off his hustle and the way he crashes the net. Torts also gives him a lot of first unit pp time. I think last year he scored more than half of his points on the powerplay.

He is kind of borderline where he should be playing. He is probably not skilled enough to be playing on the 2nd line. But he is much better than most third line players in the nhl.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Kel Varnsen

(If I'm remembering this correctly) On the play where Anisimov eventually scored on the pass from Gaborik, Callahan missed the net right on the doorstep. Reminded me of how poor his hands are.

Old
10-11-2010, 06:09 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
(If I'm remembering this correctly) On the play where Anisimov eventually scored on the pass from Gaborik, Callahan missed the net right on the doorstep. Reminded me of how poor his hands are.
The way that puck was bouncing, I'm not sure Datsyuk could have scored that one.

Old
10-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
That's really not fair on Cally. The puck was on edge.
So what? This is the NHL the pucks there upside down, one edge, knuckle pucked, idc u burry it.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:17 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
As somebody that plays hockey, a bouncing puck is the WORST. There isn't a single sure-fire method to settle the damn thing down and shoot it. If you try to settle it and let one go, best of luck to you, because by the time the puck is flat you'll probably be checked. And if you just try to shoot the puck, there's a good chance it'll hop right over your stick. Or, if you do get it, you really won't get any accuracy on it.

Sorry, but I hate when people just expect a puck to magically be flattened out and buried. It really is one of the more difficult plays in hockey.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
As somebody that plays hockey, a bouncing puck is the WORST. There isn't a single sure-fire method to settle the damn thing down and shoot it. If you try to settle it and let one go, best of luck to you, because by the time the puck its flat you'll probably be checked. And if you just try to shoot the puck, there's a good chance it'll hop right over your stick. Or, if you do get it, you really won't get any accuracy on it.

Sorry, but I hate when people just expect a puck to magically be flattened out and buried. It really is one of the more difficult plays in hockey.
I'm not killing the guy based on that one play. I think he's good for 20-25 goals a year which means he's got some skill. However, he more than most seem to miss open nets. No way anyone could really tell how much it was moving when he shot it, he did have some time before he shot it though. And usually he just fails to lift it, but here he missed the net. Again, I'm not killing the guy but I think a more skilled player at least forces the goalie to make a save there.

Old
10-11-2010, 09:37 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
So what? This is the NHL the pucks there upside down, one edge, knuckle pucked, idc u burry it.
much easier said than done when you are sitting in your Lay-Z- Boy....

i had a breakaway the other night in my league game after i blocked a shot on the PK. the puck went right to center ice where i picked it up and headed towards the goal. i held onto it as long as i could, but it wouldnt settle. i let a shot go at the last minute, but i got WAY under it and put it into the netting behind the goal from about 8 ft in front of the crease.

a puck on edge is no joke....

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 10:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

He does look stronger.

He's always been tenacious. And was never weak. But he looks more mature and stronger then last year.

I typically was never for having him in a top six role, but I've been confident with him there all pre season and now in the regular season.

What stand out to me now is that because he's stronger, he's able to control the puck longer. He gets the legs out and sheilds the puck and is able to control it. And I like him in front of the net on the PP.

That line looks very good. Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan.

All three of them look like they're more mature and stronger. Very good to see the progress.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 10:14 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
As somebody that plays hockey, a bouncing puck is the WORST. There isn't a single sure-fire method to settle the damn thing down and shoot it. If you try to settle it and let one go, best of luck to you, because by the time the puck is flat you'll probably be checked. And if you just try to shoot the puck, there's a good chance it'll hop right over your stick. Or, if you do get it, you really won't get any accuracy on it.

This. It'll either go go completely roof-daddy into the top of the net when you weren't even trying to put it there or it'll fumble over your stick making you look like a chump.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 10:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Not sure if this is the play being reffered to, but the reason his shot was weak was because of a good defensive play. The guy came up behind him and deflected it at the last second.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 10:54 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Seems the same to me skill wise.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote