HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Wisniewski face disiplinary action? (Suspended 2 games)

Old
10-11-2010, 04:40 PM
morffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
That's not saying anything though.

Obviously in beer leagues there is worse stuff, this is the NHL which is broadcasted on TV.
on TV in the afternoon of a holiday...with tons of kids watching

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Sunshine

The moment James Wiesniwski missing a game or two enters my thoughts, I'll know I should be focusing on other things a bit more

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talain View Post
That's because Avery has a well-earned reputation as a complete jack***, and a long list of incidents to back it up. Most likely he did something to deserve it.
I don't care if James Wisniewski suggests that Sean Avery. he's what, 30? he can handle it I'm sure, and sure, he may have it coming.

If you think that's the issue here, you're a slow-minded buffoon.

He's a professional athlete playing in front of cameras, and should act appropriately.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:47 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Avery was suspended for essentially that. Avery made a joke in poor taste that was taken as abusive/demeaning towards women. That action is a homophobic gesture during a day time game attended by children, broadcasted on live TV. Wisiniewski will tell you that he was either making a joke or that he got caught in the heat of the moment. Those are both excuses that didn't serve Avery with his sloppy seconds comment. Avery had to attend anger management classes just to get reinstated. I see absolutely no difference between the incidents. We have the standard set, Bettman merely needs to make it official with a press release: 6 game suspension and anger management classes.

For the record, I could care less either way. I'm not a bed wetting cry baby. I didn't think Avery deserved his discipline and Wisiniewski doesn't deserve it either. But I cannot tolerate double standards especially when it is my guy on the short end. The league does not tolerate racial or sexist comments. They don't tolerate violent gestures (throat slashing). There is no wiggle room unless the league is taking the position that graphic sexual gestures and potentially homophobic commentary is acceptable.
Some reading for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
Avery got punished for doing what he did outside the context of a game. It was also premediated and done very publicly and purposefully to cause a stir and embarassment not only to another hockey player, but also a woman who has nothing to do with hockey. This event is completely different. It happens all the time, just not in full view of a camera.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:53 PM
XLJ

Personally I dont really care. But if you can get suspended for a throat slash gesture. Than Wisniewski should be suspended. He looked a little too comfortable making those motions though.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Cawlidge Hawkey
NCAA ** Juniors

Yes because we all know if Avery did it he wouldn't be playing on Friday.

Cawlidge Hawkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:59 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Some reading for you.
In that context, guys shouldn't be punished for throat slashing or for racial comments on the ice. But they do. For everyone except NYR, this is about Avery being the target and not the gesture. The comment you posted is just semantics. I nor the NHL cares about what happens all the time, "especially when it's not in full view of a camera". The fact is that Avery and Wisiniewski were on camera being offensive. The fact is there are precedents set. The problem for the NHL at this point is that they never act when it is the homosexual community that is on the receiving end. Nothing for Brashear's "the NHL is gay" comment and I'm sure that they wouldn't have come to the rescue of women if the person wasn't Avery.

The NHL is opportunistic and inconsistent. They wield their brand of justice in a way that serves their agenda. I still don't get how Avery goes to anger management/rehab for a bad joke but Carcillo doesn't for an unprovoked throat slashing gesture to the Maple Leaf bench after he scored a goal.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:05 PM
John Torturella

Apparently Gordon stormed out of his press conference when asked about the gesture.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:11 PM
HAPPY HOUR

To me when I started this thread it really was more about the whether or not he should be fined ($$$) or not. I'm not suggesting anything more. But double standards regarding like gestures by different players will always be an issue.

So if Sean Avery did the exact same thing, what do you think would happen?
and because he is a "multiple offender" should he go from say a fine to a suspension??

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:23 PM
terrrrrible

So that's how the Islanders got all those calls to go their way...

If anything, give the guy an instigator.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:29 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
To me when I started this thread it really was more about the whether or not he should be fined ($$$) or not. I'm not suggesting anything more. But double standards regarding like gestures by different players will always be an issue.

So if Sean Avery did the exact same thing, what do you think would happen?
and because he is a "multiple offender" should he go from say a fine to a suspension??
Well Avery was never suspended prior to his comments. That got him 6 games for a 1st time offender. Bettman was just opportunistic. They could never get Avery for what he did on the ice. And what makes me laugh about the last post to me with that other quote, Avery is hated for what he says on the ice. It was just a means to punish Avery for all the stuff he says on the ice because everyone hates it but they lack the rules to restrain him. It was always about his on ice behavior, the off ice thing was just Avery giving them a window of opportunity. He doesn't play dirty, he doesn't play reckless, he doesn't embarrass the league.

People get worked up because they hate him so much and they throw words around like 'embarrassment' to add legitimacy to their case. Waving your stick in Brodeur's face to screen him is not embarrassing to professional hockey. Bertuzzi embarrassed the league, not Avery.

Ok, if this was Avery, 2nd offense... min 10 games. Maybe more rehab. This guy, a fine. He deserves what everyone else gets in this scenerio. Call a black guy a name, you get suspended. Call a french canadian a name, you get suspended. Either Wisiniewski thinks Avery does that and is gay, which is now gay bashing or he thinks being gay is a negative quality and he is trying to demean Avery with the gesture. He has no leg to stand on.

Of course I am over thinking it and over analysing the situation, but so did everyone else with Avery's sloppy seconds comment.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Fine - absolutely. Probably not a suspension but a precedent has been made for a suspension.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:52 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Wisniewski has been suspended 3 times already by the league. A fourth should be in order. Avery is spot on. Mainstream media would have picked up the story and Bettman definitely would have suspended him. On Avery, I hope he continues his strong play while refusing to get drawn into certain extra-curriculars after the whistle. He seems to be figuring out what the refs are going to call him for. He is always going to get screwed in some cases though (see Kovalchuk in pre-season) because of his reputation.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Well Avery was never suspended prior to his comments. That got him 6 games for a 1st time offender. Bettman was just opportunistic. They could never get Avery for what he did on the ice. And what makes me laugh about the last post to me with that other quote, Avery is hated for what he says on the ice. It was just a means to punish Avery for all the stuff he says on the ice because everyone hates it but they lack the rules to restrain him. It was always about his on ice behavior, the off ice thing was just Avery giving them a window of opportunity. He doesn't play dirty, he doesn't play reckless, he doesn't embarrass the league.

People get worked up because they hate him so much and they throw words around like 'embarrassment' to add legitimacy to their case. Waving your stick in Brodeur's face to screen him is not embarrassing to professional hockey. Bertuzzi embarrassed the league, not Avery.

Ok, if this was Avery, 2nd offense... min 10 games. Maybe more rehab. This guy, a fine. He deserves what everyone else gets in this scenerio. Call a black guy a name, you get suspended. Call a french canadian a name, you get suspended. Either Wisiniewski thinks Avery does that and is gay, which is now gay bashing or he thinks being gay is a negative quality and he is trying to demean Avery with the gesture. He has no leg to stand on.

Of course I am over thinking it and over analysing the situation, but so did everyone else with Avery's sloppy seconds comment.
Well said.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

If he doesn't, I hope Sean makes this gesture to someone else. No way they could suspend him than.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

The league should be ashamed of themselves if they fine or suspend him.

Anyone who knew what the gesture meant is old enough to handle it, and anyone too young to know what it meant probably didn't even think anything of it. They'll only ask their parents about it because the media is talking about it.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Anyone who knew what the gesture meant is old enough to handle it, and anyone too young to know what it meant probably didn't even think anything of it.
what he had demonstrated the act on his defense partner instead? same logic applies right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
They'll only ask their parents about it because the media is talking about it.
the media is only talking about it because he did it.

Old
10-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
No, but if it was Avery then he would easily be fined and suspended a game and have to go back to some sort of silly class again.

To this day, I don't get why he was suspended for "sloppy seconds." You'd think he said, "them [homosexuals] are always trying to hook up with my [prostitutes] after I ripped them apart by doing X, Y and Z, and I even posted it all on YouTube." (Apply more colorful language in the previous sentence.)

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Avery had just said a week ago that players shouldn't be suspended for things that they say. How is a gesture any different?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Avery had just said a week ago that players shouldn't be suspended for things that they say. How is a gesture any different?
it isn't, but players are suspended for what they say, and consistency is important.

Old
10-11-2010, 07:06 PM
John Torturella

Definitely some sort of punishment will/should come down. A legitimate league can not stand for this sort of thing, especially having it on television.

Old
10-11-2010, 07:07 PM
TomLaidlaw

His form was indicative of an experienced veteran.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 07:09 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Well most things players say that happen on the ice can't be heard. I think that makes all the difference. The fact that this gesture was so visible and is making rounds on the internet is further motivation for the NHL to bring some sort of fine or punishment.

Old
10-11-2010, 07:10 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
C'mon people this is ridiculous. Its HOCKEY. Guys trash talk and make gestures. Are we going to fine Kovalchuk for telling Avery to zip his lip? Do they fine people for stuff they say? Whats the difference? God forbid people see a gesture like what Wiz did. If a Ranger did that we would have been laughing our ***** off.

ZOMG!!! THE CHILLDRUN!!! THEY HAZ BEN SCARRED FOR LIFE!?!?! THE CHILDREN!

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 07:12 PM
TomLaidlaw

The fact that this made ESPNs main page is hilarious to me. I think it is utterly absurd to suspend the guy for this but I wouldn't be surprised if he is based on the exposure this is getting.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote