HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

October 11 update: Leighton's back surgery went "very well." Out 6-8 Weeks

Old
10-09-2010, 02:06 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Well, I would assume with the Flyers roster they have now, he would be able to come close to that again. Had he been healthy. Players are allowed to get better over time. But at the same time I understand why people wouldn't believe it based on 1 season. Either way, I hope he gets healthy enough to return to last season's form.
It's not even over a full freaking season.

Watching Leighton, you can see that he is untalented and unathletic. He is just big. That is literally the only thing he has...and I guess a somewhat fast glove.

I think last year was just a matter of him coming out of nowhere behind a stellar defense and people not really getting a read on him. Plus, he rarely faced high-octane offenses and when he did, he lost (in both the playoffs and reg. season).

Leighton is not some young kid who is suddenly coming into his own..he's an old dude who had never in his professional career showed the high level of play his stats credit him with last year. I really don't believe it was ever sustainable. People don't magically turn into all-star goalies in a year at his age.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:35 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
It's not even over a full freaking season.

Watching Leighton, you can see that he is untalented and unathletic. He is just big. That is literally the only thing he has...and I guess a somewhat fast glove.

I think last year was just a matter of him coming out of nowhere behind a stellar defense and people not really getting a read on him. Plus, he rarely faced high-octane offenses and when he did, he lost (in both the playoffs and reg. season).

Leighton is not some young kid who is suddenly coming into his own..he's an old dude who had never in his professional career showed the high level of play his stats credit him with last year. I really don't believe it was ever sustainable. People don't magically turn into all-star goalies in a year at his age.
He lost in the reg season vs high octane offenses? Loss vs Boston 2 to 1. Loss vs Leafs 4-0, loss to the oilers 1-0, loss to the wild 2-1, loss to the sabres 3-2, then to boston again 5-1 and the rangers 3-1. It's okay if you dont like him, but he fits well with the flyers and played pretty well last season. All he has to do is be in decent position with his size and make the first save. I know he has bad rebound control and a gaping 5 hole, but lets be realistic, he was much better than boucher and emery last season. I am not saying he should be the starter, but I would feel confident with him as a backup.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 04:48 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
He lost in the reg season vs high octane offenses? Loss vs Boston 2 to 1. Loss vs Leafs 4-0, loss to the oilers 1-0, loss to the wild 2-1, loss to the sabres 3-2, then to boston again 5-1 and the rangers 3-1. It's okay if you dont like him, but he fits well with the flyers and played pretty well last season. All he has to do is be in decent position with his size and make the first save. I know he has bad rebound control and a gaping 5 hole, but lets be realistic, he was much better than boucher and emery last season. I am not saying he should be the starter, but I would feel confident with him as a backup.
Okay, so he lost to garbage teams. He also had a couple games where he didn't get credited for the loss because he got yanked less than halfway through.

The point is, he's not good. And if you really think he played better than Emery, when healthy, I don't know what to tell you. And I don't even like Emery.

My point is simply that we had less than a full year of Leighton playing well behind a ridiculously tight defense, and yet people are thinking it's somehow the blossoming of a career.

I don't think it was. That level of play from him isn't sustainable. I'm fine with him as a backup, or whatever, but I don't really care about that either. At this point I kind of hope he doesn't return to form just so, as a franchise, we can move on from Michael Leighton and try to find a real solution.

Old
10-09-2010, 06:03 PM
BernieParent

Would it be inconceivable for Snider to call Leighton in and give him an offer he can't refuse? Either retire and take a job within the org for the equivalent duration of his contract at about the same money, or they start legal proceedings to have his contract voided.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Leighton lost to garbage teams, and the high octane offenses. The difference is, leighton got pulled against the three good teams and boosh took the loss. He never looked talented either. He looked like a large dude taking up a space.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:14 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He looked like a large dude taking up a space.
He still does...just now he's taking up valuable cap space!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:56 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
He still does...just now he's taking up valuable cap space!
HEYOOOO!

Old
10-11-2010, 09:59 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1653
Update, Monday, October 11:

http://www.csnphilly.com/10/11/10/Ca...443&feedID=695

Quote:
General manager Paul Holmgren said that surgery on goalie Michael Leighton went “very well.” He had a herniated disk in his lower back repaired. Holmgren said Leighton was resting and his rehab will being in a few days. “Michael is expected to make a full recovery and return to action in six to eight weeks,” Holmgren said …

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
i hope this isnt homer speak for, "doctor slipped and cut Leightons spinal cord..

he'll never walk again.."

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:26 AM
AquaticBirdman

Hoping that Leighton takes his time coming back. Took Bobrovsky in my fantasy pool.

AquaticBirdman is online now   Reply With Quote