HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Sulzer sucks

Old
10-11-2010, 04:52 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
are you suggesting we don't carry a 7th dman?
I am suggesting we do not carry Sulzer as our 7th.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:07 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Why? So Blum can get rusty and not further develop because he's benched every night? Geoffrion is better than Belak, do you suggest we bench him instead?

and to be honest, I like Sulzer. It's a numbers game right now and I feel bad that he's gotten stuck with this role, I was hoping he'd have been traded or picked up on waivers so he could actually play the game but at the same time, the D that are playing are the ones that I think we should go with. He's the odd man out.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:42 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Carrying Sulzer as the seventh d-man was and still is the best option if you look at the situation as a whole. My reason for saying this has already been posted by a few folks, so in an effort to avoid redundancy I'll just leave it at that.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:52 PM
lightning_legwand*

I think that Blum should be the first call-up if someone goes down, if not Josi, but then right back to Milwaukee when injured player comes back, unless they are playing like Bobby Orr! lol,

As far as the 7th d-man, I think Laakso is better suited for that then Sulzer, I am just saying that it sucks that Sulzer is it because of salary reasons...

Old
10-11-2010, 07:21 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
I think that Blum should be the first call-up if someone goes down, if not Josi, but then right back to Milwaukee when injured player comes back, unless they are playing like Bobby Orr! lol,

As far as the 7th d-man, I think Laakso is better suited for that then Sulzer, I am just saying that it sucks that Sulzer is it because of salary reasons...
FWIW - Laakso made the team last year and got sent down after 7 games. IMHO - he was out-played by every one of the usual suspects, including Sulzer, during the pre-season scrimmages and games I saw.

It makes No Sense to bring up any of the kids we think can still develop and let them sit as 7th man, unless they are considerably better than Sulzer and have a chance to take ice time from one of the current top 6. Johnson and Laakso both have 2-way contracts - so even if we don't think they have a chance to develop further it still makes no sense to have either of them on the roster in Sulzer's place. Laakso was walking a thin-line when we got Parent, and when we re-signed Franson there was no chance he was making this team this year.

Laakso may indeed by our 7th man next year, if we re-sign him, assuming Blum and company continue to progress as they are. Right now, he's 22 years old, and the best place for him is playing regular minutes and hoping to develop his game further. In that respect Sulzer kinda' screwed himself with that one-way contract - he's not gonna' play much this year and he's not getting regular minutes.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 08:51 PM
predfan24

Quote:

From what I have seen Sulzer is better than Laasko. In his limited time in NHL games Sulzer proved he is pretty solid if unspectacular. With a guy like that your just hoping he can give you 10-14 minutes and he won't hurt you. I think he is capable of that. Lassko wasn't even able to prove that last year.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
From what I have seen Sulzer is better than Laasko. In his limited time in NHL games Sulzer proved he is pretty solid if unspectacular. With a guy like that your just hoping he can give you 10-14 minutes and he won't hurt you. I think he is capable of that. Lassko wasn't even able to prove that last year.
I agree. Laakso has never shown me anything to tell me he deserves more ice time than Sulzer.

But, I guess Poile has completely given up on Sulzer's development considering it looks like he is our perma-scratch 7th dman. I say send him down to keep him sharp.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 10:07 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
but you dont seem to get it that 7th dman is the most appropriate spot for someone with no future with this club.

hes just like Belak. a roster spot that needs to be filled in case of emergency but not where you would put anyone you expect to develop and improve their game.

If poile could have unloaded Sulzer he would have. Face it, he waived him and nobody took him when he was free.

So, given what we cant change, which is that Sulzer is ours and is on a one way deal, 7th dman is the perfect spot for him.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Isnt the point of hockey to ice your best team and win?
Changing out the seventh defenseman doesn't exactly have a substantial impact on which players actually reach the ice, so this argument doesn't really apply, now, does it?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 11:23 AM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
but you dont seem to get it that 7th dman is the most appropriate spot for someone with no future with this club.

hes just like Belak. a roster spot that needs to be filled in case of emergency but not where you would put anyone you expect to develop and improve their game.

If poile could have unloaded Sulzer he would have. Face it, he waived him and nobody took him when he was free.

So, given what we cant change, which is that Sulzer is ours and is on a one way deal, 7th dman is the perfect spot for him.
I guess that makes sense PredsV8, I just do not like the idea that "if" they is an injury on the blueline that Sulzer would be the guy to fill in rather than give a guy like Josi or Blum the experience just for the time of the injury than go back to the A.

I like the idea that Sulzer has no future here, but do not like the idea that he will get to play if any defenseman is injured. I think Josi and Blum should play their hearts out in Milwaukee for now, but as soon as someone gets hurts, one of them should get the call-up over damn Sulzer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Changing out the seventh defenseman doesn't exactly have a substantial impact on which players actually reach the ice, so this argument doesn't really apply, now, does it?
What happens when a defenseman gets injured. Then it applies, and that is kind of what the conversation is about.

There is a 0% chance that all six of our blueliners play 82 games, so we now Sulzer "will" get playing time due to this. and that sucks! Just because of his one-way deal. I am sure 99% of predator fans would rather see Josi or Blum over Sulzer if an injury happens.

Old
10-12-2010, 12:19 PM
MrJoshua

I am sure that 99% of Predators fans couldn't care less which defenseman fills in that sixth spot on the roster as long as the team plays well.

Sulzer has stepped in and played well in the past. He's a decent defenseman. Not a superstar but serviceable. I don't know why you think he sucks but I seriously doubt it has anything to do with his actual performance on the ice, because when he's had ice time he's done OK with it.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:39 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
I guess that makes sense PredsV8, I just do not like the idea that "if" they is an injury on the blueline that Sulzer would be the guy to fill in rather than give a guy like Josi or Blum the experience just for the time of the injury than go back to the A.

I like the idea that Sulzer has no future here, but do not like the idea that he will get to play if any defenseman is injured. I think Josi and Blum should play their hearts out in Milwaukee for now, but as soon as someone gets hurts, one of them should get the call-up over damn Sulzer.

What happens when a defenseman gets injured. Then it applies, and that is kind of what the conversation is about.

There is a 0% chance that all six of our blueliners play 82 games, so we now Sulzer "will" get playing time due to this. and that sucks! Just because of his one-way deal. I am sure 99% of predator fans would rather see Josi or Blum over Sulzer if an injury happens.
this is exactly what I meant when I said we will see when there is an injury what the team truly thinks of Sulzer. If nobody gets recalled and Sulzer steps in, then he really is 7th on the depth chart. But if someone goes down and Blum or Josi or even johnson gets called up and plays ahead of Sulzer, then we know he's just taking up space.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote