HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

News & Notes 2010-2011

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2010, 11:24 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

vCash: 500
News & Notes 2010-2011

Go go go.

Previous thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=777547

10-12-2010, 11:26 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Ah, that new thread smell.

Old
10-12-2010, 11:32 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

If Mojo is out for some time...while many would like to see Perreault called up...I'm game for Beagle.

He can PK, and can fill an energy role, he can sit a few nights.

Save Perreault for injuries to 19 or 14.

Old
10-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
If Mojo is out for some time...while many would like to see Perreault called up...I'm game for Beagle.

Would MP have to pass through waivers if he was sent back down? If he does, i might have to agree with you and save his callup.

Old
10-12-2010, 11:38 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Neither Perreault or Beagle have to deal with waivers at this point. I think there might be a pro games played threshold with Beagle at somepoint, but he'd be ok for a few weeks. (sk8 can confirm...or it might be in the contract thread).

Edit: Beagle is either 60 or 70 NHL games played in order to be subject to waivers...he's at 14 so he's fine to come and go.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...0&postcount=42

Basically...those two are free to come and go as needed.

Old
10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Neither Perreault or Beagle have to deal with waivers at this point. I think there might be a pro games played threshold with Beagle at somepoint, but he'd be ok for a few weeks. (sk8 can confirm...or it might be in the contract thread).

But basically...those two are free to come and go as needed.
If thats the case I don't see a reason not to call him up and get him some more expirence with the big club

Old
10-12-2010, 11:43 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Katie Tweeted MoJo is out for this weekend, and isn't expecting Poti or Bradley either for NYI.

Old
10-12-2010, 11:44 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:

Actually agree with this and I had a nice post to the effect til SOMEONE decided to close the thread while I was typing!!!

Just not a big fan of the chim-MP-Fehr line in the ozone enough to make up for MP's Dzone liabilities

Old
10-12-2010, 11:45 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:

Edit: Beagle is either 60 or 70 NHL games played in order to be subject to waivers...he's at 14 so he's fine to come and go.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...0&postcount=42

Basically...those two are free to come and go as needed.
Yup. FWIW, based on most recent info., it's 60GP but I was waiting on one more answer and confirmation on the 60GP to update the contract thread.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 10-12-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: reworded
Old
10-12-2010, 11:56 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Actually agree with this and I had a nice post to the effect til SOMEONE decided to close the thread while I was typing!!!

Just not a big fan of the chim-MP-Fehr line in the ozone enough to make up for MP's Dzone liabilities
I always check what you're doing before I do anything.

Last Activity: Today 11:55 AM
Current Activity: Viewing Forum Washington Capitals

Old
10-12-2010, 12:20 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Don;t tell my wife... or boss

Old
10-12-2010, 12:33 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
I havent really noticed flash much the past two games. But Bruce wants him on 1, we better get used to it. I know its about Backstrom but yanking him seems a bit quick. Our top line is getting chances and we are winning games. Ovi is potting goals, really our top lines goal. Bah, just get RDY... for invisibility.

Do we want our 3rd line to score goals or check without MJ? I think its goals = MP. So I'd call up MP. But we have Steckel, my bet its his time to play. My depth charts.

Center Depth - Scoring
Backstrom
Flash
MJ
MP
Laich

Center Depth - Checking
Gordon
Steckel
Hendricks
Beagle

Old
10-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Katie Tweeted MoJo is out for this weekend, and isn't expecting Poti or Bradley either for NYI.
OUT: Mojo, Bradley, Poti

IN: Slerskine, Steckel, and....King?

seems to me the replacement is on the wing, not down the middle... so A.Gordon could be a call up (if anyone is called up that is)

Old
10-12-2010, 01:42 PM
WingmanCD

Turns out that fat older guy in a Caps jersey who replaced Tom Green in the unleash the fury video is... Tom Geen.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...he_fury_i.html

Old
10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Don;t tell my wife... or boss
They're not the same person?

Old
10-12-2010, 02:02 PM
artilector

So.. BB in fact decided to break up the top line. Let's see how it works! I hope Backstrom steps up his game and shows that he can run his own line. Not too excited about Flash on the top line.. but what are you gonna do, the young guys are out of the picture for now.. Ovi should still get his points.

Next step: try Fehr instead of Knuble.

Old
10-12-2010, 02:06 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
They're not the same person?

Foy wins.

Old
10-12-2010, 02:25 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
So.. BB in fact decided to break up the top line. Let's see how it works! I hope Backstrom steps up his game and shows that he can run his own line. Not too excited about Flash on the top line.. but what are you gonna do, the young guys are out of the picture for now.. Ovi should still get his points.

Next step: try Fehr instead of Knuble.
I dont like the timing of it (Nick only gets 3 games to get on track??) and hasty promotion of Flash, but lets play along. Bruce is showing signs of adjusting which is most important.

Ovi Casper Fehr
Laich Backstrom Semin
Chimera MJ Knuble
Hendricks Gordon Bradley
King Stecks

I would consider swapping Hendricks and Chimera

Old
10-12-2010, 02:30 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

I don't see why you would split up the best line in the NHL.

Old
10-12-2010, 02:34 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I dont like the timing of it (Nick only gets 3 games to get on track??) and hasty promotion of Flash, but lets play along. Bruce is showing signs of adjusting which is most important.

Ovi Casper Fehr
Laich Backstrom Semin
Chimera MJ Knuble
Hendricks Gordon Bradley
King Stecks

I would consider swapping Hendricks and Chimera
Maybe this will help jump start Backstrom -- the puck will be on his stick more, and he'll get a crack at 2nd pairing defensemen..

But I agree that the best thing about it -- is BB recognizing that something is out of whack.

About trying Hendricks on the 3rd line.. why not try it.. although (despite his assist last night) I have doubts as to whether he can be useful on a 3rd line. Chimera has size and speed on him.. plus he can at least shoot the puck hard and once in a while it'll go in. Hendricks seems focused on banging people, which is great on the 4th line, but not sure it would help MJ and Fehr. But again, why not try and see.

Old
10-12-2010, 02:39 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Maybe Bruce wants to experiment with different player combinations in the case that we run up against a head coach in the playoffs next year that assigns a checking line to shut them down. And they succeed. Then what is Bruce going to do? Do nothing, or go to an untested and unproven line combination.

Maybe Ovi can score 50 without Nick, Knuble his 15. Maybe Nick can get 100 points with Semin, who breaks 100 himself. How exactly would that be worse for our team? Same total goals scored. Conversely, it may not make us better, but will give Bruce tested options to use later.

Its just the regular season, dont worry about coaches trying any of the 13,000+ different line combinations.

Old
10-12-2010, 02:46 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Because the pair of Ovechkin+Clark, playing with Zubrus, put up similar numbers to the pair of Ovechkin+Knuble playing with Backstrom -- which is kind of ridiculous, if you think about it.

So maybe Backstrom can't make Ovechkin and Knuble much better, but he can definitely make somebody else much better -- so maybe it makes sense to try it.

Old
10-12-2010, 02:46 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Maybe this will help jump start Backstrom -- the puck will be on his stick more, and he'll get a crack at 2nd pairing defensemen..

But I agree that the best thing about it -- is BB recognizing that something is out of whack.

About trying Hendricks on the 3rd line.. why not try it.. although (despite his assist last night) I have doubts as to whether he can be useful on a 3rd line. Chimera has size and speed on him.. plus he can at least shoot the puck hard and once in a while it'll go in. Hendricks seems focused on banging people, which is great on the 4th line, but not sure it would help MJ and Fehr. But again, why not try and see.
I know I am pushing the envelope on Hendricks. Chimera hasnt been bad by any stretch. But I like to reward great play, and Hendricks has just been really impressive. Sure its possibly because we forgot what a gritty 4th liner that loves to hit can do for a team, but he looks hungry. As a coach, you feed him until he is over his head.

Chimera moved up and down between 3 and 4 a lot last year, and I noticed no drop off in his play.

Hendricks does the dirty work, MJ is Mr assist, The big 1 6 Fehr is Mr Finish. 26 and 16 had some qiuck chemistry.

Old
10-12-2010, 02:53 PM
artilector

Quote:
I know I am pushing the envelope on Hendricks. Chimera hasnt been bad by any stretch. But I like to reward great play, and Hendricks has just been really impressive. Sure its possibly because we forgot what a gritty 4th liner that loves to hit can do for a team, but he looks hungry. As a coach, you feed him until he is over his head.

Chimera moved up and down between 3 and 4 a lot last year, and I noticed no drop off in his play.

Hendricks does the dirty work, MJ is Mr assist, The big 1 6 Fehr is Mr Finish. 26 and 16 had some qiuck chemistry.
It could work.. I guess another way to look at it, Chimera's speed makes for an interesting 4th line, one that has at least some sort of a weapon on it to catch opponents off-guard.

Actually, in the preseason I was hoping for Chimera on the 4th line, as well, although the motivation for that was MP in the lineup and Flash to 3rd line LW..

Old
10-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Bruce is showing signs of adjusting which is most important.
When has BB not juggled lines? Shuffling lines is the type of adjusting that he has always done, it's actually adjusting the system and strategy that he doesn't do much of.

Laich, Nicky, and Sasha have been together before and played pretty well together in the playoffs in 2009. Only Laich averaged less than a point/game. There's a chance for somewhat of a 1A and 1B scenario with two high-end scoring lines.

Closed Thread