HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CGC: A Note to Josh Cooper

Old
10-10-2010, 01:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
CGC: A Note to Josh Cooper

CGC: A note to Josh Cooper

The cynicism of the Tennessean is well earned. They showed their transparent loathing to the Predators for a good decade. Their lack of enthusiasm towards the Preds was a clear sign of lazyness and apathy. The concept of a sports writer as a hard working guy is non-existent. Let's face it, you interview the coaches, watch the games, and run to the hotel room and watch games on the TV to add to your knowledge so you can sound like you know what the hell you are talking about in your 1,000 word column. (And we can add sports talk DJs, but there is a much higher technical skill needed for this.)

Now comes Josh Cooper and Josh if you are on HF and following the example of Mirtle, the bloggers are not competing against you, you are competing against the bloggers and they are winning.

Because of the Tennessean's lack of coverage along with the lack of coverage from the local TV and the cynical and jingoistic hate for the media outlets from above the Canadian border, Nashvillians took matters in their own hands. The prime example of this is Fuqua's 'We Are Nashville' campaign. The people drowning in the flood didn't wait for the federal government, they took matters in own hands. Embracing their ideal that the strength of America is in the two hands of every citizen, they fought and struggled in classic charity to not only pull themselves up, but also pull their neighbor up with them.

This is not above the typical; this is Nashville and because of this the fans took the media in their own hands. With the proliferation of the internet, Preds fans took control of the message and now IS the NHL's example of what a blogosphere should look like. The Internet superceeds borders and gives us a chance to say 'Hey! You might wanna pay attention to this Weber and Suter pairing.' 'HEY! You might want to save your cap space by building a team with the biggest back for your buck.' 'HEY! There actually are people in Tennessee who give a **** about Hockey.'

Simply put, Josh if you are paying attention, you are screwed. We love your effort. We honestly love the fact you know what you are talking about. We love the depth you are providing which was sorely lacking from with the other writer. (Who's name I've honestly forgotten....) But kid, yah screwed. You are ONE man going up against a good 20-30 people who have a strong diversity of hockey backgrounds who range for the informative to damn near Hunter S. Thompson-esque. You write for the main steam media but you are not the main media. Hell, there is a blog compiler for the Preds. http://thepredatorsaggregator.blogspot.com/

(Yes, this is a transparent dodging of the Hf rules on posting blog links.....)

Josh, I don't think you can provide a tsunami of information so I suggest this. Go for quality, not speed, not volume. Give us the best you got. The bloggers have the market on speed and volume.

Even though all this, Mr. Cooper, good luck to you we are appreciative.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:16 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
CGC: A note to Josh Cooper

The cynicism of the Tennessean is well earned. They showed their transparent loathing to the Predators for a good decade. Their lack of enthusiasm towards the Preds was a clear sign of lazyness and apathy. The concept of a sports writer as a hard working guy is non-existent. Let's face it, you interview the coaches, watch the games, and run to the hotel room and watch games on the TV to add to your knowledge so you can sound like you know what the hell you are talking about in your 1,000 word column. (And we can add sports talk DJs, but there is a much higher technical skill needed for this.)

Now comes Josh Cooper and Josh if you are on HF and following the example of Mirtle, the bloggers are not competing against you, you are competing against the bloggers and they are winning.

Because of the Tennessean's lack of coverage along with the lack of coverage from the local TV and the cynical and jingoistic hate for the media outlets from above the Canadian border, Nashvillians took matters in their own hands. The prime example of this is Fuqua's 'We Are Nashville' campaign. The people drowning in the flood didn't wait for the federal government, they took matters in own hands. Embracing their ideal that the strength of America is in the two hands of every citizen, they fought and struggled in classic charity to not only pull themselves up, but also pull their neighbor up with them.

This is not above the typical; this is Nashville and because of this the fans took the media in their own hands. With the proliferation of the internet, Preds fans took control of the message and now IS the NHL's example of what a blogosphere should look like. The Internet superceeds borders and gives us a chance to say 'Hey! You might wanna pay attention to this Weber and Suter pairing.' 'HEY! You might want to save your cap space by building a team with the biggest back for your buck.' 'HEY! There actually are people in Tennessee who give a **** about Hockey.'

Simply put, Josh if you are paying attention, you are screwed. We love your effort. We honestly love the fact you know what you are talking about. We love the depth you are providing which was sorely lacking from with the other writer. (Who's name I've honestly forgotten....) But kid, yah screwed. You are ONE man going up against a good 20-30 people who have a strong diversity of hockey backgrounds who range for the informative to damn near Hunter S. Thompson-esque. You write for the main steam media but you are not the main media. Hell, there is a blog compiler for the Preds. http://thepredatorsaggregator.blogspot.com/

(Yes, this is a transparent dodging of the Hf rules on posting blog links.....)

Josh, I don't think you can provide a tsunami of information so I suggest this. Go for quality, not speed, not volume. Give us the best you got. The bloggers have the market on speed and volume.

Even though all this, Mr. Cooper, good luck to you we are appreciative.
: laugh:

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:32 PM
dulzhok

???? I don't get it.

Tennessean hires a guy who is very enthusiastic about the Predators, and what are you trying to do? Bully him away from doing his job? Good luck with that.

Blogs are fine and all, but only the most diehard fans are gonna read them. Casual and non-fans read the Tennessean. If the Predators are going to grow their fan base, mainstream media is one of the keys. Predators blogs aren't going to reach the non-fans.

But, the mainstream media needs something more than the norm to report. Making the playoffs is fine and all, but over half the teams in the NHL qualify. Been there, done that 5 times. To create a media circus, the Predators will have to make some playoff noise. In the meantime, good articles from the Tennessean can't hurt.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:33 PM
trotzian brow

What is CGC?

trotzian brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotic Whim View Post
What is CGC?
"Cat Gone Crazy" - those occasional moments when BFC appears to fancy himself a blogger.

Personally, I want Josh Cooper to succeed beyond his wildest dreams, because then maybe, just maybe, I won't get to bring up the Tennessean anymore any time someone up here complains about Dispatch Mind Control.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:10 PM
FD

I wish Josh all the best. I remember him as a Preds Communications intern years ago, the future is bright for this young man.

FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:12 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Oh, I want Josh Cooper to succeed. I deeply do. I have hope for him but I also see the odds against him. But I WILL say this, he has been fantastic so far.

And when I put CGC on the title it's when I actually put some thought on the post unlike my usual flippant postings which are really really really quick movements of the fingers which are closer to drunk twitter postings.

It's my one allowance to my arrogance.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:36 PM
jlsg

It should be noted, Preds had front page headline coverage in the sports section today. Big picture and everything.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:00 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
It should be noted, Preds had front page headline coverage in the sports section today. Big picture and everything.
thats good to hear because online in the sports section it was buried down in the fine print.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:56 PM
jstreet

I would have been with you on this one but it comes off hostile and frankly is directed at the wrong person. Cooper isnt to blame for the Titansean's past failures. He has done a great job since he came on board.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:58 PM
jstreet

also,

I do agree with you that we have excellent avenues in our preds blogosphere.

ontheforecheck is where its at.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:02 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Did you notice what the headline was though??? "Goalie injury mutes Preds' opening win". Give me a freakin break!!!!!! First off, they place a negative waaaay before the positive of a VERY positive night. And, as most of us diehards already knew, the "injury" reported by the head coach was determined to be nothing anything major- a fact quoted on page 3. This is just ANOTHER in the series of examples of this piece of rubbish throwing their agenda of having this team ousted from this city. I can't help but remember on the day after the PREDS first road playoff victory last season, the FRONT PAGE headline screamed out, "PREDATORS TO STAY IN TOWN THROUGH 2011", referring to the new contract being signed with Metro Council. Yes, Thank you to the new PREDS reporter for the rag. Also, SCREW YOU to the rag.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:48 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

I'm not a fan of how you worded this. Cooper has been excellent so far.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 07:21 AM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Did you notice what the headline was though??? "Goalie injury mutes Preds' opening win". Give me a freakin break!!!!!! First off, they place a negative waaaay before the positive of a VERY positive night. And, as most of us diehards already knew, the "injury" reported by the head coach was determined to be nothing anything major- a fact quoted on page 3. This is just ANOTHER in the series of examples of this piece of rubbish throwing their agenda of having this team ousted from this city. I can't help but remember on the day after the PREDS first road playoff victory last season, the FRONT PAGE headline screamed out, "PREDATORS TO STAY IN TOWN THROUGH 2011", referring to the new contract being signed with Metro Council. Yes, Thank you to the new PREDS reporter for the rag. Also, SCREW YOU to the rag.
In my mind Pekka's injury was the headline of the game, minor or not. He could have shredded every tendon in his knee and Trotz would have said the same thing after the game. If Johnson or Young would have been injured in the Titans game what do you think the headline this morning would be?

Old
10-11-2010, 09:05 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
In my mind Pekka's injury was the headline of the game, minor or not. He could have shredded every tendon in his knee and Trotz would have said the same thing after the game. If Johnson or Young would have been injured in the Titans game what do you think the headline this morning would be?
If it was Johnson or Young injured there would be a special edition published.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:32 AM
cleangene

PERFECT, 101st!!! Don't forget the 24 hour live remotes from outside the medical center from every single t.v. station.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:24 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
There was a much better way to word what was posted, but we all have our own perspective

Josh seems like a nice guy in the conversations we've had, and I wish him all the best.

Last edited by codeyh: 10-19-2010 at 02:31 PM.
codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 07:10 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
There was a much better way to word what was posted, but we all have our own perspective

John seems like a nice guy in the conversations we've had, and I wish him all the best.
Glennon?

Old
10-12-2010, 12:57 PM
thejlb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If it was Johnson or Young injured there would be a special edition published.
As there should be. You can't blame the writers for writing about what the majority want to hear. I used to be with you guys on the tennessean not giving the preds it fair due. I think they tried that avenue. As I remember hearing nothing but negative responses on there webpage. There were a few preds fan that tried to back the team up the majority however just don't care. I know I don' t blame them. when the preds go a few seasons having a consecutive sellouts lasting longer then 2 games maybe they'll start taking notice. The arena only holds what a third of what LP field can. Come on guys just be lucky you have a team that can turn a profit every once in a while.

thejlb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:47 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejlb1 View Post
As there should be. You can't blame the writers for writing about what the majority want to hear. I used to be with you guys on the tennessean not giving the preds it fair due. I think they tried that avenue. As I remember hearing nothing but negative responses on there webpage. There were a few preds fan that tried to back the team up the majority however just don't care. I know I don' t blame them. when the preds go a few seasons having a consecutive sellouts lasting longer then 2 games maybe they'll start taking notice. The arena only holds what a third of what LP field can. Come on guys just be lucky you have a team that can turn a profit every once in a while.
HOLY COW! Duck your head, thejib1, you're about to get multiple comments.

Old
10-12-2010, 01:49 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
And there are 5 times less games at LP than compared to Bridgestone Arena.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:58 PM
thejlb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
And there are 5 times less games at LP than compared to Bridgestone Arena.
Exactly. Thats what makes every game that much more important. I don't understand what people don't get about that. Hockey is a long season. Can you even imagine what it would be like if the Preds got front page headlines after every game they played. I'm as die hard a preds fan as almost anyone on here. I don't get the constant complaigning about this.

My point being is there alot more Titans fans then Preds. I don't get it either. Hockey is just as entertaining as football, but what are you gonna do. This is football territory. I personally don't miss a preds home game. So I don't need to read about it in the paper. Same with the titans. There are those people that like to read. Thats why I come here and footballs future. To read what other fans have to say.

thejlb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:23 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
The Preds draw more paying customers per year than the Titanics. The Preds bring their fans into the heart of downtown, not a church parking lot next to the interstate.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:51 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The Preds draw more paying customers per year than the Titanics. The Preds bring their fans into the heart of downtown, not a church parking lot next to the interstate.
True about the number of fans, however a majority of the fans at a Titans game park in the same lots as the Preds fans. The amount of business generated by both franchises is sizable for downtown. Any discussion on which is better is really irrelevant since both contribute substantially to the Davidson County tax base.

As far as the coverage by the paper, it is obviously going to be tilted towards football. I think that the team coverage has been better this year, both online and in print. Newspapers are having a tough go of it and have to do what will pay the bills. Here it's football, in Toronto it would be Leafs. Pretty simple economic fact of life.

Old
10-12-2010, 06:53 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Exactly. Thats what makes every game that much more important. I don't understand what people don't get about that. Hockey is a long season. Can you even imagine what it would be like if the Preds got front page headlines after every game they played. I'm as die hard a preds fan as almost anyone on here. I don't get the constant complaigning about this.

My point being is there alot more Titans fans then Preds. I don't get it either. Hockey is just as entertaining as football, but what are you gonna do. This is football territory. I personally don't miss a preds home game. So I don't need to read about it in the paper. Same with the titans. There are those people that like to read. Thats why I come here and footballs future. To read what other fans have to say.
So how do the Yankees, in a crowded NY market seem to get front page news in a 162 game season? People want to hear about what they like.

Saying this is football country is silly to me. I could say it's redneck country too but I don't want to talk about belt buckles with the names of guys like Bubba on them.

The excuse of football country is silly because none of these sports were played 100 years ago in this area. Sports on the whole are relatively new around the states. Baseball, football, hockey and basketball have barely been around 130 years for the longest one.

The Tennessean has never given the Preds a fair shake. I remember the first time the team took the point lead in the entire NHL and not them or 104.5 gave them the time of day. This was in February when this happened if memory serves me correctly. 104.5 that day was talking about who would be coaching Arkansas' football team in the fall. Really? We're talking college football about an out of state team? Needless to say I called in and gave them a piece of my mind.

When the coverage is proper and well done and no one responds about the Preds, then you can say it's football country, until then, I just don't buy it.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote