HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Watching too many Habs games (regular season) ?

Old
10-12-2010, 01:05 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
I watch the most I can but sometimes I work during games.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:06 PM
12jf54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
I used to watch all the game but one variable changed in my life last spring.

That variable is called girlfriend.
I would need one of those...

Didn't miss a game in the pass 6 years. However, recorded about 20 of those that i couldn't watch live and watched them later in the night...

20 in over 500 isn't that bad...

Somebody find me a life....lol

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I will most likely miss the opening night tomorrow (and every game on Monday and Wednesday till late December) due to my Math class... (5PM to 8:20PM)

But after re-thinking about the situation, I am actually considering skipping the last hour of my class tomorrow. I have very good results anyway

Last edited by Fel 96: 10-12-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:27 PM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
You know you have issues if you watch 82 games / yr live and another 82 games per year on RDS express or recorded. If you are in this category go seek help and get medicated ASAP.
Last year i watched way too much hockey for my own good -- prbly 55-65 games + plus every playoff game

I want to cut down and watch more games on express on the weeknight.
why? you know, there are 7 days in a week and they play an average of 3 days a week which leaves 4 days off. I fall into the category of having watched all 82 games, but i dont sit at home doing nothing waiting for game day to come. I have a life, i have friends, i have other ECA also so i dont see your point....just useless condescension.

Last edited by saints96: 10-12-2010 at 01:36 PM.
saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:39 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
why? you know, there are 7 days in a week and they play an average of 3 days a week which leaves 4 days off. I fall into the category of having watched all 82 games, but i dont sit at home doing nothing waiting for game day to come. I have a life, i have friends, i have other ECA also so i dont see your point....just useless condescension.
He meant 82 live games + the same games on Express or PVRed

That would be a total of 164 viewings

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:

I only ever dated girls that are into hockey. Problem is the one I'm dating now is from East York, now I watch all 82 Habs games & have to watch about 30 Leafs games.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:43 PM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
He meant 82 live games + the same games on Express or PVRed

That would be a total of 164 viewings
ohhhhhhhhhh , wow i misread that.. my bad.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Peacock

I now work full time and take flying lessons. And play in 2 soccer leagues. Last year I was in university full time + part time job.

Naturally I don't have a ton of time to watch games (add a girlfriend to the mix).

So I usually catch about 55 - 65 ish games a season. If I miss one here or there I honestly don't mind so much. I try and read up on it afterwards (thanks to you guys for all your analysis) but I don't stress out too much. After all it's still a sport/pastime for me.

Oh and being able to watch a game while doing cardio at the gym is awesome.

Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:51 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
ohhhhhhhhhh , wow i misread that.. my bad.
**** happens... time for another cup of joe

Old
10-12-2010, 01:56 PM
thewall

I miss more Habs games now then I use to.. I play hockey on thursday nights .. so i miss half of the Habs games on thurdsays.. I'm now DJ in a local bar on saturday night so i miss the 3rd period of each saturday night game.. but i can follow it a bit on the big screen at the bar.. I work tuesday and wednesday night till 8 so i miss a bit of these games too..

Last year i missed the centenial game on december 4th. I was at my X-mas staff party and I had no choice to be there.

If i can watch the game then I will be watchin the habs' games.. but i have to admit I hate leaving in the middle of the game and I can't wait to ask the score to the arena employee after my hockey game. I didnt miss a playoff game last year.. except the OT goal from Plekanec!

thewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:57 PM
sheed36

Since I got RDS 2 seasons ago I've watched practically every Habs game since then and I can't see that changing anytime soon.. I don't really watch that many games outside of Hab games though unless it's a great matchup...

Actually I even enjoy watching Habs classic games.. When the Habs win that is.. I'm watching a Habs/Bruins game from March 2007 on ESPN Classic as I'm typing this..

Last edited by sheed36: 10-12-2010 at 02:03 PM.
sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Coldplay
Courage

There is no way I could give up watching every Habs game I can. 20 seems awfully low, but whatever fits your bill.

Last year I must've caught about 75 (not counting the playoffs).

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:23 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
I only ever dated girls that are into hockey. Problem is the one I'm dating now is from East York, now I watch all 82 Habs games & have to watch about 30 Leafs games.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I watch 82 games + when the Habs aren't playing I watch a good game on Center Ice,my wife wants to shoot me

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:35 PM
JayBee*

Haven't missed a Hab game in a good 4-5 years. I have a PVR, so I tape the game. If I have to go out...I'll go out and watch the game when I come home.

Was at a friend's house on Saturday and got him to order RDS just so I could watch the game. Yes, it's that serious.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:41 PM
hotcarle

I try and watch every Habs game I can. I have to miss some because of night classes and people who have the nerve to get married on a Saturday night during Hockey season.

I even tried to finish an exam early so I could catch Game 6 against the Caps, and did surprisingly well on the exam. It would have sucked if I failed the exam and the Habs were eliminated.

Sometimes I try and play the "total media blackout" game and catch the replay on CanadiensExpress without hearing the score beforehand. I've used this strategy to various degrees of success.

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:41 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Since I got RDS 2 seasons ago I've watched practically every Habs game since then and I can't see that changing anytime soon.. I don't really watch that many games outside of Hab games though unless it's a great matchup...

Actually I even enjoy watching Habs classic games.. When the Habs win that is.. I'm watching a Habs/Bruins game from March 2007 on ESPN Classic as I'm typing this.. :handclap:
Yeah I DVRed that one yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Haven't missed a Hab game in a good 4-5 years. I have a PVR, so I tape the game. If I have to go out...I'll go out and watch the game when I come home.

Was at a friend's house on Saturday and got him to order RDS just so I could watch the game. Yes, it's that serious
Resistance is futile !

Old
10-12-2010, 02:42 PM
MetroGnome

I missed max. 4 games last year due to exams on the same night.

When I was making my schedule for this fall semester I got stuck with 3 night classes. There was absolutely no way I was keeping it like that and missing 1-3 games a week. Luckily I checked ten times a day for day classes to open up and I switched everything.

MetroGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I think I've missed 5 Habs games in the last 30 years. I've either watched them live, watched on TV/internet or listened on the radio. Now that I have a PVR, I'll probably never miss another game.

It's a serious problem, I've passed on, or missed plenty of things over the years, so that I wouldn't miss a game. I even quit a part-time job as a teen because my boss wouldn't let me have the night off.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I think I've missed 5 Habs games in the last 30 years. I've either watched them live, watched on TV/internet or listened on the radio. Now that I have a PVR, I'll probably never miss another game.

It's a serious problem, I've passed on, or missed plenty of things over the years, so that I wouldn't miss a game. I even quit a part-time job as a teen because my boss wouldn't let me have the night off.
You're crazy

I've called in sick plenty but quit never

Thank God I got a solid job years ago which is only during the day,no nights or weekend

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

I don't watch half. I think maybe 1/4. I watch all highlights i miss though. Not representative of the game but honestly its a lot of time just watching hockey. I read and keep up with hockey news, trades and everything as best as i can to compensate. I may seem less hardcore but fact of the matter is it is time consuming and I hate commercials. I actually don't watch tv at all anymore. I download commercial free shows(i only watch 1 show per week tbh) and watch it when I feel like it. I spend a lot of time on ps3 and computer though lol

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You're crazy

I've called in sick plenty but quit never

Thank God I got a solid job years ago which is only during the day,no nights or weekend
Since I'm my own boss now, I wouldn't have to do something so drastic. At the time I was 16 and working at Burger King, it was during the 1986 Stanley Cup finals. (May 24th Game 5 Cup clincher) It's amazing how I can remember this, but I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast yesterday.

I had switched shifts with another employee. I took their day shift, and they took my evening shift. I worked the day shift and was about to leave when my manager said I had to stay because the other guy didn't show up. I told him, "Sorry, the Habs are playing, I'm outta here".

His response was that if I left, I would be sorry. My response was, well I could type my response, but all you would see is a bunch of stars.

On a side note, I was offered my job back two days later.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:20 PM
pine

hahaha. spoken like a diehard Habs fan.

Life is all about priorities.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Megaforce

Great thread, hats off to the OP.

I don't watch all the games, I'm involved in other evening pursuits but I find this discussion forum very useful to find out - and better yet, analyze - what I missed.

If you spend your entire life in front of the TV watching these games you're really missing out on a lot of great things that can broaden your horizons and improve your life.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:32 PM
TroyM

Quote:

Ehh, I have one of those variables too, I live with my girlfriend and I have watched all 82 games for about three years now. If we are out or I'm at work or something I just PVR the game and watch it late at night or the next morning. I don't want to miss a game at all, I just enjoy watching them too much. She doesn't love it of course but she is able to entertain herself for 2.5-3 hours a few times a week without much griping

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote