HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies 2010 Postseason: Red October III

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Gert B Frobe

vCash: 500
Are there any good baseball message boards? All the ones I have seen are complete crap - just tons of un-moderated trolling, "we will kick your ass" type garbage.

Old
10-12-2010, 12:03 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 70
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I might use this as a new avatar:

and ...

Old
10-12-2010, 12:04 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 70
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Are there any good baseball message boards? All the ones I have seen are complete crap - just tons of un-moderated trolling, "we will kick your ass" type garbage.
I post on one, but I can't post it here. I tried PMing you but I guess you have that turned off.

Old
10-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
This statement is very, very wrong.

Phils will SWEEP.
Just listening to the Giants (particularly Aubrey Huff in the postgame), they remind me of the Phillies in '08.

They're young, they're having fun, they've got nothing to lose, they're winning games a run at a time and they're pitching their ***** off.

I feel that the Phillies are the rightful favorite - but if they end up heading to San Francisco down 0-2 after getting stonewalled by Lincecum and Cain, I would not be shocked.

Old
10-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Just listening to the Giants (particularly Aubrey Huff in the postgame), they remind me of the Phillies in '08.

They're young, they're having fun, they've got nothing to lose, they're winning games a run at a time and they're pitching their ***** off.

I feel that the Phillies are the rightful favorite - but if they end up heading to San Francisco down 0-2 after getting stonewalled by Lincecum and Cain, I would not be shocked.
The pure fear of the Giants has to stop. It's not that they're a not good or capable team, it's that we're the ****ing Phillies.

The offense worked against Cincinnati just like offense can have a tendency to work in the playoffs. The important part isn't that they weren't scoring a ton, it's that they were getting the hits when they needed them, and taking advantage of the opportunities they got.

Old
10-12-2010, 08:58 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Anyone scared of the Giants, forgets we have Chase Utley and Roy Halladay on our team.

Old
10-12-2010, 09:17 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
This statement is very, very wrong.

Phils will SWEEP.
The Giants have a very good rotation. But the Phillies still have a distinct advantage in that department, our top 3 starters have a average 3.26 xFIP, Giants 3.84 xFIP. Giants are supposed to have the stronger bullpen than us, but they had trouble against the Braves, who by the way were a terrible offensive team without Chipper and Prado, so seriously, don't be too impressed by what the Giants starters did against them. If Romo and Wilson don't get it straight for them, that back end of the bullpen is vulnerable, too.

Looking more closely, all the games against the Braves were close ones for them, and their game-winning runs in each win were gifts from either the umpires or shoddy defense (looking at you, Brooks Conrad).

No doubt the offense needs to have a better showing this series, but if they do come out of their hole at all, this could be over in 5. Otherwise, it's going to be tough.

Old
10-12-2010, 10:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, but that's a pretty close tradeoff.

Lincecum/Cain/Sanchez is very, very close to Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels and it's not like our offense has really shown up yet.
Halladay/Lincecum perhaps 3 times will be epic.

Old
10-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

Giants fan here, gonna be an epic series. To be the best you've gotta beat the best and right now that's Philly. I will say that the gap between each team's top 3 is closer than some are making it out to be. Sanchez in particular has been almost as good as Linecum down the stretch, and he is deadly against lefties, so I wouldn't overlook that fact. The bullpen match-up will be trouble if Romo and Wilson don't get their acts together, and the Phills have an obvious hitting advantage. In the end it will come down to pitching, and Linecum/Halladay, Cain/Oswalt, and Sanchez/Hamels are all going to be amazing match-ups.

Sidenote, don't know much about the Phils bullpen. What can you guys tell me? (ie. who comes in when, righties/lefties, etc.)

Old
10-12-2010, 01:18 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
I will say that the gap between each team's top 3 is closer than some are making it out to be. Sanchez in particular has been almost as good as Linecum down the stretch, and he is deadly against lefties, so I wouldn't overlook that fact.
No doubt that the Giants have the next best rotation in the playoffs, better than anything the AL has in my opinion. If both teams' pitchers execute and both offenses stagnate like they did in the NLDS, it could be very close.

Sanchez has been always been tough for the Phillies to figure out, definitely. However, Utley hits him well (as he does to all LHP), it's really just Howard that I'd expect to struggle hard in that game.

Quote:
Sidenote, don't know much about the Phils bullpen. What can you guys tell me? (ie. who comes in when, righties/lefties, etc.)
Madson will come in the 8th and Lidge in the 9th. Prior to that, H2O.

J.C. Romero will come in to get lefties in the 7th, Jose Contreras or Chad Durbin come in to face righties. If there is trouble before then, Chad Durbin usually comes in first. If the roster is the same, Antonio Bastardo is our other lefty arm, but he gets wild with his control and won't see action unless there's a tough lefty early. Blanton was available in the bullpen last series, this time Kyle Kendrick might become the long man if Blanton is left as the 4th starter, otherwise Blanton will continue in that role if we do decide to roll with H2O alone.

Old
10-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Giants fan here, gonna be an epic series. To be the best you've gotta beat the best and right now that's Philly. I will say that the gap between each team's top 3 is closer than some are making it out to be. Sanchez in particular has been almost as good as Linecum down the stretch, and he is deadly against lefties, so I wouldn't overlook that fact. The bullpen match-up will be trouble if Romo and Wilson don't get their acts together, and the Phills have an obvious hitting advantage. In the end it will come down to pitching, and Linecum/Halladay, Cain/Oswalt, and Sanchez/Hamels are all going to be amazing match-ups.

Actually, I think it will come down to hitting... who can hit the other team's starters?

Have a lot more faith in the Phils on that front than I do SF.

Old
10-12-2010, 04:33 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Actually, I think it will come down to hitting... who can hit the other team's starters?

This is exactly how I feel. I think the pitching is very close, but the Phillies are very good in close games and I expect them to win this one in 6.

Old
10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
No doubt that the Giants have the next best rotation in the playoffs, better than anything the AL has in my opinion. If both teams' pitchers execute and both offenses stagnate like they did in the NLDS, it could be very close.

Sanchez has been always been tough for the Phillies to figure out, definitely. However, Utley hits him well (as he does to all LHP), it's really just Howard that I'd expect to struggle hard in that game.

Madson will come in the 8th and Lidge in the 9th. Prior to that, H2O.

J.C. Romero will come in to get lefties in the 7th, Jose Contreras or Chad Durbin come in to face righties. If there is trouble before then, Chad Durbin usually comes in first. If the roster is the same, Antonio Bastardo is our other lefty arm, but he gets wild with his control and won't see action unless there's a tough lefty early. Blanton was available in the bullpen last series, this time Kyle Kendrick might become the long man if Blanton is left as the 4th starter, otherwise Blanton will continue in that role if we do decide to roll with H2O alone.

Good to know, thanks for the info. I know very little about these guys save for Romero, who can be a little wild at times.

And yeah if we see any Phillies relievers in the 7th inning of a game I'll consider that a blessing.

Old
10-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

True. I guess I was looking at it more from a Giants persepective, as in: can our pitching shut down the Phils enough so that 2,3,4 runs can win a game?

Old
10-12-2010, 05:00 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
I think that whomever ends up winning this next series is huge favorites to take it all regardless of who comes out of the AL... the rotations of both the Phillies and the Giants are substantially better than anything in the AL, imho.

Old
10-12-2010, 06:04 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yeah, I guess that is the main encouragement, SF makes our lineup look like the 27 Yankees (no offense to SF fans).

Old
10-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Feels weird that it's the Giants this year, and not the Dodgers.

Old
10-12-2010, 06:56 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
Feels weird that it's the Giants this year, and not the Dodgers.
Meh, same bums, different colors.

Old
10-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Terence Peterman

What really feels weird is Broxton won't be around to blow up. I'll miss that part.

Old
10-12-2010, 09:59 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
What really feels weird is Broxton won't be around to blow up. I'll miss that part.
Wilson was warming up for the part. Hopefully we won't need it.

Old
10-12-2010, 11:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

C'mon Texas, beat the Yanks!

Old
10-12-2010, 11:14 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Why the **** are the Rangers using Mountain Dew instead of champagne?

Old
10-12-2010, 11:21 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
Why the **** are the Rangers using Mountain Dew instead of champagne?
Josh Hamilton comes to mind.

Old
10-12-2010, 11:23 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Nothing wrong with some MD. Something that sweet makes the victory a little sweeter haha.

Old
10-12-2010, 11:34 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Most likely. It was speculated when he skipped their first champagne romp.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb-272472

Quote:
Should the Rangers break from usual baseball tradition and put the kibosh on any alcohol for any future celebrations, if necessary? Like the situation with the Angels and Nick Adenhart's jersey last season, I believe there's room for a discussion to be had and it certainly seems strange to engage in anything that excludes one of the players most responsible for the team being in that position.

Closed Thread