HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Wisniewski face disiplinary action? (Suspended 2 games)

Old
10-12-2010, 09:56 AM
sparxx87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Exactly, but I'd say the comparison that's even more fitting is the way that the league deals with throat slash gestures. Miming "You're dead" vs. miming "You're a f--" should equal the same punishment.

Throat slash gesture has been seen on tv and movies and forever....You don't see the obscene gesture Wiz made outside of a restricted movie.

As I said before, it doesn't bother me. But I don't blame the league if they come down hard on him. Parents and young kids don't need to see that crap. I know I wouldn't wanna explain to my 12 year old what he was doing. (Anyone forget that kids ask questions? If they don't know what he did, they're gonna ask.)

Wiz does this to a full 18+ audience - its laughed off.
Wiz does this in front of a national tv audience on a holiday between the 2 NY teams.- he faces discipline. Simple.

Its not the action, its the stage more then anything. Just as swearing on the ice or on the field is accepted, but swearing at grandmas thanksgiving dinner is kinda frowned upon.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:05 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Let's sum up this thread:

"waaaah....waaaaahhhh.....waaaahh"

let's worry about holding a lead against a depleted team. The refs didn't make us play horrific D, did they?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Jets82

I think Wiz should be fined. Yes it was out of bad taste. It was funny, everyone chuckled, end of story. Sean Avery is a guy who does nothing but bring attention to himself. Whether its flopping on the ice after a dive, making the "sloppy seconds" comments, gets into verbal wars with broadcasters, called Laraque a racist term during a game, not too mention making obscene gestures while playing for Dallas at a fan in Boston from the Penalty Box and NO action was taken by the league. More importantly though, besides the no-goal and his usual pre-game antics, Avery was ineffective and INVISIBLE yesterday. Stepan looks like he should be a damn good player by the way.

Jets82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:09 AM
CaptainObvi0us
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
You figure that one out all by yourself?
Let me guess you said something similar in the 1st 3 pages of the thread which I skimmed through. Shoot me.

You're right, I couldn't think of it all by myself, I saw your post and thought it was so genius that I'd rephrase it and take credit for it as my own idea.

CaptainObvi0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:16 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
No, it was hilarious. If Avery did it, we'd all be saying it was hilarious and everyone would be crying foul because it's Avery. Definitely one of the funniest things I've seen happen during a game in a while.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:25 AM
bubba5

so this team blows a lead and we worry about this!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Loffen
Cup mode: ON

Suspension, why? Because of the new rules or....? I don't care.

Wiz is the one that is making a fool out of himself here. Looks like a 2$ ho.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Miller Time NYR

a slap on the wrist should do, wiz was just showing everybody what he does best.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 11:49 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Pretty sad that some of you are saying he should get suspended, how old are you guys? Take it for what it is, stuff like this is what makes hockey more entertaining than those other "classy" organization. And as for the kids watching, do you think if a child saw that they would actually even know what he was doing? I know I wouldn't. If Avery did that to Wiz, you guys would be laughing just like everyone else is right now.
If this was the general concensus for Avery's incident, I would agree with you. But there were calls for his expulsion fromt he league. The Dallas owner wanted to void his contract or suspend him from the team himself. People everywhere wanted his suspension. The thing with justice and discipline, the most important thing in fact, is that it must be metted out evenly and fairly.

So here it is. People wanted the book thrown at Avery yet they want to ignore this. If I'm Bettman and his brass, you have to consider what happens if you don't act. You are basically green lighting Avery to do this every single game. I want to go on record and say that I don't think for a second that Avery will do it (just considering his circles and his mentality), but that is what the league must anticipate... not just Avery but every player.

You pose the scenerio of what if it was the other way around. Let me ask you the same thing. What if Avery did it to Wiz, are yoiu just laughing or thinking he should be disciplined? How is the league reacting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Personally, I have no issue with what Avery or Wiz did.

But I think what most of us want to see is some consistency when it comes to discipline. We're tired of the Avery double standard.
Exactly. I would prefer that nothing happen in these cases but that ship has sailed.

This should be a lesson to the NHL. They took their sweet time outlawing hits to the head. They didn't want to rush to judgement, they didn't want to legislate hitting out of the league, they wanted to study the unforeseen side effects of the new rule. Yet with Avery, boom, a new rule the next day. You can't face the goalie when screening him. You can't embarrass the league with commentary. No regard to the rules process. No study on side effects. All knee jerk and no discussion.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 12:41 PM
JimmyStart*

I couldn't care any less about it than I do right now. That said It pisses me off how inconsistently they punish stuff. If you punish it once punish it across the board. No excuses for leaving this undiciplined when others have been punished. That's a joke.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
I couldn't care any less about it than I do right now. That said It pisses me off how inconsistently they punish stuff. If you punish it once punish it across the board. No excuses for leaving this undiciplined when others have been punished. That's a joke.
That's the truth, no matter how much I hate Avery his sloppy seconds comment was a fineable offense and that's it, same as what wiz did. The league just went into panic mode then and it was unfair to Avery at the time.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Matteau Matteau

I wouldn't fine it normally, but since Avery would undoubtedly be punished, I say Wisniewski should be as well.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Krylian

He'll get a fine....maybe 1 game if they really want to show that this is unacceptable. I mean...what if you're watching the game with your 8 year old and he/she asks 'what does that mean'? Watching a hockey with your family shouldn't result in a conversation about oral sex.

That being said....it was a seriously funny.

Krylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
If you watch the video you can see Moulson look over and see what Wisniewski is doing then look away in disgust and embarrassment. I could really care less if he gets fined/suspended. He did a perfectly good job of making himself look like a jackass.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:46 PM
ruckus*

You know what the worst part of the whole deal is? The majority of hockey fans actually seem to believe that because it was done to Avery that it's warranted.

If anyone wants to see how ridiculous some Islanders fans are and hockey fans, go to ESPN and read Scott Burnside's article about how Wish should face a suspension and then read the comments.

It's absolutely mind blowing.

I understand fans of other teams getting a good laugh at this, hell I was laughing pretty hard when it happened myself.

But to actually sit there and say that it doesn't warrant a punishment because it happened to Avery/Avery is a d-bag/Who cares it's Avery is one of the most ludicrous arguments I think I've ever heard in my life.

I can't believe there are people who are that foolish.

I get that people don't like Avery, but that in no way justifies Wish's actions.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I really don't care whether or not he's fined, but if the NHL is going to turn a blind eye to it, they need to maintain that stance for the rest of the year. No more of this "Depends on who it is" crap.

That being said, I love Wisniewski's game, and I wish we had acquired him. He'd be a huge upgrade over Rozsival at the point on the PP.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Normally I would say no and I highly doubt the league will do anything about this....however imo they should.

My reason for this isn't because i think Wish did a horrible thing, its because they suspended Avery for simply making a "dirty" statement (sloppy seconds). Technically, since Wish participated in an action, he should have a more serious consequence.

Of course there are Avery rules then theres everyone else, not to mention the entire debacle with the Kovy contract situation. This league is so wishy washy it drives me insane.

Stick to rules and enforce them. Dont keep changing because you dont like whats going on. I hate how the NFL penalizes players for doing stupid things on the field (td celebrations, etc..) however, they ALWAYS stick to their rules and make no exceptions. If its Sanchez or T.O., if you go of the line you are penalized.

NHL really needs to clean up its act. And if Wish is not penalized its another example of favoritism.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Osminator

Sean Avery: "Wiz, how the f... did YOU make it into the NHL?"

Wiz: "Let me show you"...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:05 PM
FiveAndAGame

I'm hoping Avery decides to do the same thing in a game in the future. And one of two things will happen.

1) The other team gets riled up because nothing was called on Avery, and they take stupid penalties going after him.

OR, the much more likely scenario...

2) Avery is suspended, and the double-standard of justice in the NHL is blown wide open.

Either way, interesting scenario.

FiveAndAGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Blazephr

"Avery no saint in latest incident" Mike Milbury

"For whatever reason, the Rangers, the league and Avery continue to march on. There's really nothing you can do. You can't steal the guy's profession. He's signed his contract. They [Rangers] have the obligation to pay the guy, but boy, the sooner he hangs it up and goes to the fashion industry the better for all of us."

full article here:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...t.html?ref=rss

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:17 PM
OverTheCap

Says the man who beat a fan with a shoe.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:18 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
lmfao Mike Milbury

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:18 PM
turcotte8

""Here we are we're talking about Avery again, not because he made a great backhanded pass to set up the game-winning goal, but because he's part of another unsavoury incident."

I guess he didn't see the game vs Buffalo when he did exactly that.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Says the man who beat a fan with a shoe.
Ditto.

I don't think that Mike Milbury is credible when it comes to anything Rangers... the man is evidently biased.

Players like Avery bring a "spark" to the team and to the league as a whole... sure, Avery is no Saint, but to go as far to say we'd be better of without him is not necessary.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:22 PM
ruckus*

LOL.

Wow. That might be the funniest most hypocritical thing I've ever read.

Mike Millbury, the saint of all saints.

How was Avery at the center or an unsavory incident if Wish doesn't do what he did Mike? Huh? As if giving a goalie a snow shower HAS ONLY EVER BEEN DONE BY SEAN AVERY. What a horrible thing!

And another thing Mike...to be such a hypocrite and say that people are always talking about his agitating and not his play, you need only look in the mirror.

You're the one whining and crying because you don't like the guy. He did nothing wrong in this instance, and yet you're partially blaming him for another man's actions?

Talk about classless. If anyone should be embarrassed and "hang em' up soon" it's you Mike.

The sooner hockey fans don't have to look at your face, or hear a damn word out of your worthless mouth, the better off we all will be.

Go **** yourself.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote