HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

(Part 2) GDT: #3: Avalanche @ Flyers - Monday, Oct. 11, 2010 -

Old
10-12-2010, 02:08 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
I know it's been said, but god DAMN, Bob's translator is a stone cold fox. She's so hot. I want to tell her how hot she is but she'll think I'm being sexist. She's so hot she's making me sexist...*****.
I've been thinking the same thing.

It's business time.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
They should have included at least one of Gagne's goals. He was so instrumental in the Boston comeback and to see them behave this way is really disappointing. The organization has always done well by their players and it's not like he asked to leave, they pushed him out.
I was shocked that they didn't show his Game 7 goal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
I know it's been said, but god DAMN, Bob's translator is a stone cold fox. She's so hot. I want to tell her how hot she is but she'll think I'm being sexist. She's so hot she's making me sexist...*****.
Careful, I hear that sort of thing can get a man in trouble.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Pics of this in the other thread?

Old
10-12-2010, 02:40 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

The translator was good looking, but relax, she was not that hot.

Let us hope it is his English tutor as well, so he can have an even bigger incentive to learn the language.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Pics of this in the other thread?
http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...d=771&id=78250

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Jester

OK, cute, but nothing to flip out over.

Old
10-12-2010, 02:45 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
I was shocked that they didn't show his Game 7 goal.
Yea I was waiting for it b/c it was so pivotal, but at the same time, it's kind of a downer b/c he's not here.

They didn't show the game 4 goal either, did they?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Yea I was waiting for it b/c it was so pivotal, but at the same time, it's kind of a downer b/c he's not here.

They didn't show the game 4 goal either, did they?
Don't think so... and I just think it's ridiculous. I was actually thinking that I wished they had waited to put the banner up until TB was here... just so Gagne could be there.

Old
10-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Garbage Goal

Yeah, we don't even get past Boston without Gagne. It's possible we get swept without him. So it's idiotic, even if he's not on the team, just for that alone. Let alone the fact that he was a life-time Flyer and fan favorite. I'd expect better from the organization.

Most ridiculous moment of last night, for me, was hearing our announcers call Colorado contenders.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, we don't even get past Boston without Gagne. It's possible we get swept without him. So it's idiotic, even if he's not on the team, just for that alone. Let alone the fact that he was a life-time Flyer and fan favorite. I'd expect better from the organization.

Most ridiculous moment of last night, for me, was hearing our announcers call Colorado contenders.
Eh, not sure it's that ridiculous... they're a young team with a lot of young talent that is on the up and up. They probably aren't quite ready to get over the hump, but they should be a dangerous team this year. The West also has some really tough to predict teams... how long can the old bodies on Detroit keep it up? What are the Hawks going to be like with all the new bodies?

Old
10-12-2010, 03:40 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I thought he was good, but sometimes it seemed like he wasn't seeing the puck all that well.
One thing I noticed at the game was that he almost seems to lose focus when he doesn't get many shots. There were a couple of solid offensive shifts in the first period, and Colorado would come down and whip one and you would see him react late to it. He allowed what could have been a game breaking soft goal, but he was able to bear down with nice saves on Quincey in alone, and another blocker save on a rebound that I think was Stewart.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Eh, not sure it's that ridiculous... they're a young team with a lot of young talent that is on the up and up. They probably aren't quite ready to get over the hump, but they should be a dangerous team this year. The West also has some really tough to predict teams... how long can the old bodies on Detroit keep it up? What are the Hawks going to be like with all the new bodies?
Unless you have a different meaning of "contender" then I do, I'm shocked to hear you say this.

Ask any (other) Avs fan. We all acknowledge that our blue-line is pretty bad and our forward group is too young and comparatively lackluster to the real contenders, too lackluster to do anything of note.

The team is not much different from last year aside from being a year older and they barely managed to slip into the playoffs and got destroyed in the 1st round despite Anderson playing like a man possessed.

Not to belittle your opinion or anything, but I find the notions that the Avs are contenders to be laughable. I definitely think that they're a tough team (as most young, talented, up-tempo teams are) and that the West is much worse this year, but I'd be happy if they just managed to make the playoffs.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 10-12-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old
10-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Colorado is a contender. not a favorite. but a contender I'd say

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:36 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Isn't there simply a minimum time between the start of two games? Something like 23 hours-ish?
I don't recall a specific reference to time such as you posed. There have been cases where a team played a 7:00 Saturday night game then a 3:00 Sunday afternoon game. The Flyers had a road trip last year when they played at 10:00 PM then 8:00 PM (ET) on consecutive nights.

I seem to remember flight time being the important issue and 2 1/2 hours being mentioned in the CBA.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:13 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
From the way people were talking about this translator, I thought she was a young Marissa Miller or something.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:18 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ Save it for the ex-Storm Appreciation Day Thread (December 31).

Old
10-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Unless you have a different meaning of "contender" then I do, I'm shocked to hear you say this.

Ask any (other) Avs fan. We all acknowledge that our blue-line is pretty bad and our forward group is too young and comparatively to the real contenders, too lackluster to do anything of note.

The team is not much different from last year aside from being a year older and they barely managed to slip into the playoffs and got destroyed in the 1st round despite Anderson playing like a man possessed.

Not to belittle your opinion or anything, but I find the notions that the Avs are contenders to be laughable. I definitely think that they're a tough team (as most young, talented, up-temp teams are) and that the West is much worse this year, but I'd be happy if they just managed to make the playoffs.
Who are the real contenders, then?

Chicago got gutted.
Detroit is a geriatrics convention.
San Jose is mental midget land.

The best scorers on that team last year were 24, 22, 19, and 24.

Which means, as a collective, I expect them to be better this year.

They have solid goaltending.

Do I expect 'em to win the Cup? Nope, but they're certainly contenders in a crowded West with a lot of question marks.

Old
10-12-2010, 05:20 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
^ Save it for the ex-Storm Appreciation Day Thread (December 31).
I have to be honest, as soon as I thought of that analogy, I had to Google Marissa Miller to make sure I spelled her name right. Or something like that.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:42 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
From the way people were talking about this translator, I thought she was a young Marissa Miller or something.
She's not really that hot, but she's cute and speaks Russian.

Done and done.

(I believe my weakness for the accent has been documented in some other thread. Maybe the Bobrovsky trial by fire thread, not sure.)

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Re: Gagne, there was a twitter explosion between Frank Seravalli and Sarah Baicker. She said that it's the organization's philsophy to not show players in videos no longer with the team. If that's the case, then I don't want to see any videos with Clarke, Hextall, Schultz, LeClair, Dave Brown, etc. in them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Re: Gagne, there was a twitter explosion between Frank Seravalli and Sarah Baicker. She said that it's the organization's philsophy to not show players in videos no longer with the team. If that's the case, then I don't want to see any videos with Clarke, Hextall, Schultz, LeClair, Dave Brown, etc. in them.
I wouldn't be shocked to see something Thursday.

The matter from last night is simply solved by a media member asking a ranking member of the organization the obvious question and getting a response on record. This is ideal for Luukko and I doubt he'd issue a "no comment" on the matter.

Old
10-12-2010, 06:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see something Thursday.

The matter from last night is simply solved by a media member asking a ranking member of the organization the obvious question and getting a response on record. This is ideal for Luukko and I doubt he'd issue a "no comment" on the matter.
It's been made known they have something in store for Thursday, but it's also an insult to the fans that they exclude Gagne from at the very least, what happened in the Boston series. The pre-game video edited so that it made it look like Hartnell's goal tied the game, and Briere's goal was the game-winner in Game 7. I know it's a "promotion" thing, but we're not stupid, we all know what happened.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Who are the real contenders, then?
I think the West is pretty weak this year, especially when compared to the East. For that reason I'd be surprised if the Cup winner doesn't come from the East. Also, if you look at the Cup winners the last 10 or so years, the East and West generally take turns winning it all. Or at least split the Cup wins 50/50.

Quote:
Chicago got gutted.
Yeah, I think they're overrated just for the mere fact that they won the Cup last year. I don't consider them contenders and I'd be surprised if they were a top team if they were in the East (this year).

Their depth is atrocious for obvious reasons, I don't like downgrading from Niemi to Turco, and the long Cup run should only make them more tired (if anything).

Quote:
Detroit is a geriatrics convention.
Datsyuk and Zetterberg are at perfectly fine ages at 32 and 30 respectively. Hudler is 28 while Filppula and Howard are both 26. Rafalski is only a year older then Pronger.

Their core is still young and still effective for the most part. Do I think they're a little older then I would like (well, if I were a Detroit fan?), but they've proven to be the most well-managed and most consistent franchise for a long while now. No reason to doubt them just because they're a bit on the older side. Kind of a harsh thing to say coming from a fan of a team that relies on two 35+ year old d-men.

With all that said, I don't think they're nearly as strong as previous years and I doubt they win the Cup. I'm kind of on the fence as to whether they're a contender or not.

Quote:
San Jose is mental midget land.
"Mental toughness" is something as intangible and pointless to bring up (most of the time) as things like "locker room presence" (I hear Walker has great locker room presence).

I understand what you mean though. Even if their club were as good as it was in previous years, which I don't think it is because their defense is bad as is their goaltending, I still wouldn't consider them contenders. As it is, they're just as overrated as Chicago I believe and far from contenders. I mean, if what they've had in the past wasn't good enough and they're only worse now then what is there to suggest that they're good enough now?

Quote:
The best scorers on that team last year were 24, 22, 19, and 24.

Which means, as a collective, I expect them to be better this year.
Sure, but that doesn't mean much. Like I said before, their forward group is tough, young, and energetic, but it lacks any true top-end talent at the moment and is nowhere good enough to be a contender. Look at their top scorers last year. They had no 30 goal guys last year, no 80 point players, and beyond the big three of Duchene, Stastny, and Stewart our scoring is pretty pitiful. Especially with Mueller out. Milan Hejduk was our 4th highest scorer last year despite missing 26 games and being ancient.

Youth can only get you so far. It's not like any of these players are guaranteed to progress either. We're just as prone to sophomore slumps, injuries, and disappointing seasons in general as any other team.

Not to mention that our best offensive talent on the blue-line is fricking Liles (who is currently leading the team in points). That's just sad.

Quote:
They have solid goaltending.
They have a starter with one great season under his belt (and I think he'll continue to be great), but I find it hard to believe that he'll surpass or even match his effort last year (and look how far even that effort got them last year, 8th place and 1st round exit). I wouldn't be surprised if were to fall back to earth for whatever reason (being tired from last season, last season being a fluke, w/e) and our backup goalie as well as our depth in the farm system at goalie is pretty bad.

Quote:
Do I expect 'em to win the Cup? Nope, but they're certainly contenders in a crowded West with a lot of question marks.
Yeah, like I said before, I think your definition of contender really varies from what my definition is. I don't see how a team can be considered a contender if you don't think there's a good possibility that they'll win the Cup. Seems kind of contradictory to me.

Besides, like I said before, go ask any (other) Avs fan and you'll find out that most of us would be happy to just make the playoffs, let alone win the Cup.

As for who the favorites out West are, like I said before, I think the West is pretty weak this year. Especially compared to the last few years.

Vancouver and possibly Detroit are definitely the favorites and at least one of the two (Vancouver) are contenders. I think St. Louis has great potential as a dark-horse or to god on a Cinderella run. I think Phoenix is really underrated and I think they're a very sound, tough team to play against that should make the playoffs, but I extremely doubt they win the Cup so I don't consider them contenders. LA has a really strong team, but I'm not sold on them yet. I can see why someone would consider them a contender though.

So, out West, I only see two or three contenders at best.

Old
10-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
She's not really that hot, but she's cute and speaks Russian.

Done and done.

(I believe my weakness for the accent has been documented in some other thread. Maybe the Bobrovsky trial by fire thread, not sure.)
Agreed. I have a thing for cute looking chicks and a huge thing for Russians (borderline fetish actually).

So give me that anytime.