HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Watching too many Habs games (regular season) ?

Old
10-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Great thread, hats off to the OP.

I don't watch all the games, I'm involved in other evening pursuits but I find this discussion forum very useful to find out - and better yet, analyze - what I missed.

If you spend your entire life in front of the TV watching these games you're really missing out on a lot of great things that can broaden your horizons and improve your life.
It's only 3 hours out of your day, a few times per week. That still leaves you plenty of time to experience great things that will broaden your horizons and improve your life. I operate my own business, travel, socialize with friends, and still have time to kick back and watch the games.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:38 PM
SpaceHawg

Not only do I watch all 82 games (had to pvr and torrent a few last season due to other engagements - I also had a work Christmas party on centennial night), but my wife midway through last season has joined me.
For the first exhibition game this year, she baked a cake!

I'm encouraged, and reminded about "the game"

I win!

Life is good.

SpaceHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:38 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't watch half. I think maybe 1/4.
So it IS possible to watch 20 games only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
His response was that if I left, I would be sorry. My response was, well I could type my response, but all you would see is a bunch of stars.

On a side note, I was offered my job back two days later.
Nice

Quote:
Thank you

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:43 PM
TroyM

Quote:

I don't watch all the games, I'm involved in other evening pursuits but I find this discussion forum very useful to find out - and better yet, analyze - what I missed.

If you spend your entire life in front of the TV watching these games you're really missing out on a lot of great things that can broaden your horizons and improve your life.
As Habs10Habs said earlier, if about 9 hours a week of watching the Habs means you can't broaden your horizons and improve your life then you have issues that go way beyond hockey, haha. I think most adults can manage to juggle watching a few games of hockey a week with living an enjoyable life. It is doubly easy if you have a PVR and can just record the game with a button and watch after you get home from 'broadening your horizons.'

That's my take on it anyway

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
It's only 3 hours out of your day, a few times per week. That still leaves you plenty of time to experience great things that will broaden your horizons and improve your life. I operate my own business, travel, socialize with friends, and still have time to kick back and watch the games.
I agree and the wife enjoying the Habs helps

To be honest only Saturday nights I might miss a few games here and there but I watch plenty of highlights

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:44 PM
GoodKiwi

I'm so tired of watching hockey, that for the first time in years I'm not excited about this new season at all. I haven't watched a full game yet and not sure I will any time soon. Quite a difference from several years ago.

In my opinion, there are just too many games to care about each and every one.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Nedved

Quote:
yeah. I refer to it as time-management, some got it. some don't.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I agree and the wife enjoying the Habs helps

To be honest only Saturday nights I might miss a few games here and there but I watch plenty of highlights
Haha, I'm actually the opposite. My wife isn't really a fan, so she's banned from my "hockey" room when the game is on. Unless she's bringing me snacks of course.

I hope she never comes online here and reads some of my posts

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
I dont think i missed a game since the lock out.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:25 PM
ReVeuF

I missed the Centennial game... where Cammy scored a hat trick and the Habs won vs the Bruins...

Was at a birthday party where I could just barely watch the game. I can tell you I am still pissed. I rarely miss games, maybe 2-3 per season.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Depends what you do with the rest of your time. For instance, say...10-15 hours a week someone can do a professional college AEC and further their education and work knowledge. 12.5 hours a week for 3 years(without counting summers) is enough to attend class for an arts and some business degrees(granted there is homework but you understand the idea). There's much that could be done in that 9 hours or so. I mean, if your alternative is doing nothing then yah, hockey is easily a better option, but for some people with a busy lifestyle, not necessarily stressful, but always on the move, that 9 hours a week could mean the difference between going to the gym or reading a book. Obviously there's ways to run and watch tv at same time for instance but all i'm trying to convey is it depends on the person. 9 hours a week can change someone's life. I'm not trying to be dramatic, lol, don't worry. Merely suggesting that for some people, myself included, that 9 hours should be put to better use, but if you're comfortable and can manage your time effectively and are satisfied with your lifestyle situation then 9 hours shouldn't be a problem. I have a habit to slack off, so when hockey comes around, that 3 hours is an additional 3 hours relaxing, not the only 3 hours, so for me, it's a huge no no cuz i cant manage my time well. lol

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:58 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Ehh, I have one of those variables too, I live with my girlfriend and I have watched all 82 games for about three years now. If we are out or I'm at work or something I just PVR the game and watch it late at night or the next morning. I don't want to miss a game at all, I just enjoy watching them too much. She doesn't love it of course but she is able to entertain herself for 2.5-3 hours a few times a week without much griping
Exactly. I have a girlfriend too, in fact I live with her, and although 82 games sounds like a lot, in perspective it really isn't. 2-3 hours a night every 2-3 days. On average people watch A LOT more TV than that a week and have families.

It also helps to have 2 TVs in the house too

Watching all of these games does not bother her, what bothers her is my attitude for approximately 30 mins after a loss lol.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

I hear you all.

Personally, I try to do something at the same time as I watch, such as practice guitar licks, work on drum rolls, cook some food, do online research, socialize with friends etc.

Life is too short to purely just sit there.

Love the thrill of watching the Habs pull out a win though... it totally picks me up

ps. Oh yeah, don't watch much else on TV, 'cept for BBC World News.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
I missed the Centennial game... where Cammy scored a hat trick and the Habs won vs the Bruins...

Was at a birthday party where I could just barely watch the game. I can tell you I am still pissed. I rarely miss games, maybe 2-3 per season.
Man, that was a game where a true Hab fan had a little tear well up in the corner of the eye... especially the Bouchard/Lach jersey retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
I'm so tired of watching hockey, that for the first time in years I'm not excited about this new season at all. I haven't watched a full game yet and not sure I will any time soon. Quite a difference from several years ago.

In my opinion, there are just too many games to care about each and every one.
True, which is why you watch for player development...

Subban
Eller
Price
etc.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Yeah i'm thinking about getting a PVR.

I can start watching the game a 20h15 or 20h30 and skip all the TV ads and stuff.

Sure it's expensive ($600 ?) but a the end of the year you saved at least 82 hours maybe even more if you skip some boring games when it's 0-3 after one and we have 4 shots.

Last edited by Team_Spirit: 10-12-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I used to watch maybe 50, but then I started my hockey fantasy pool and I probably catch a good 100 regular season games a year. I have no problem with this, I watch a crapload of TV and I love it.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

Much as I'm tempted by the availability of TV and an occasional visit to the arena I realize there are other things in life. For one thing, relationships are bound to suffer.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:29 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
True, which is why you watch for player development...

Subban
Eller
Price
etc.
Yeah, but only a few of the young guys amount to something in the long run (and I'm not talking about your list in particular). There will always be rookies to get hockey's future message board excited. It is also a never ending cycle if you think about it.

Immediate impact is rarely achieved. This is why I prefer to watch something like NFL where there are good chances of a rookie making a significant impact on his team. Not so much in the NHL where talent is more diluted.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:36 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I don't think I miss more than 5-10 games each year.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 09:41 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Depends what you do with the rest of your time. For instance, say...10-15 hours a week someone can do a professional college AEC and further their education and work knowledge. 12.5 hours a week for 3 years(without counting summers) is enough to attend class for an arts and some business degrees(granted there is homework but you understand the idea). There's much that could be done in that 9 hours or so. I mean, if your alternative is doing nothing then yah, hockey is easily a better option, but for some people with a busy lifestyle, not necessarily stressful, but always on the move, that 9 hours a week could mean the difference between going to the gym or reading a book. Obviously there's ways to run and watch tv at same time for instance but all i'm trying to convey is it depends on the person. 9 hours a week can change someone's life. I'm not trying to be dramatic, lol, don't worry. Merely suggesting that for some people, myself included, that 9 hours should be put to better use, but if you're comfortable and can manage your time effectively and are satisfied with your lifestyle situation then 9 hours shouldn't be a problem. I have a habit to slack off, so when hockey comes around, that 3 hours is an additional 3 hours relaxing, not the only 3 hours, so for me, it's a huge no no cuz i cant manage my time well. lol
Exactly; those 3-9 hours whatever may be nothing, but as you say, you can miss out on something

Well, just to go back to the opener vs Toronto, I was leaving work go home; all I was thinking is the game- woohoo!

On my way out of the company, there was that really hot chick who checked me out; I had to do something, hot chicks check me out once every 250 years
i talked to her and we went to a lounge for a drink, and now we are dating (nothing too serious yet, though)

So if I rushed to my place to watch the game, I would have missed that chick

(Actually, what happened to me last Thursday is what led me to start this thread)

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Megaforce

I find 9 hours a lot.

You 35- 40 hours a week,so this is about a quarter of a work week.

If you wanna do that, I don't judge you, perhaps it's your way of unwinding, I respect that.

On weekday evenings I teach a class, participate in a debating club, drive my son to hockey, daughters to gymnastics hang out with buddies, etc, the evenings are rarely free to be mesmerized watching Lapierre make funny faces to taunt the opponents and hearing Benoit Benoit analyze the work ethic of the fourth line. When I hear Habs fans say that they haven't missed a game in years, it seems a bit excessive.

But I am glad you watch nonetheless. I enjoy the expertise, passion and analysis on this forum. I am probably more loyal to this discussion forum than I am to the actual games, I find some people here very funny and others very intelligent.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
TroyM

Quote:
I find 9 hours a lot.

You 35- 40 hours a week,so this is about a quarter of a work week.

If you wanna do that, I don't judge you, perhaps it's your way of unwinding, I respect that.

On weekday evenings I teach a class, participate in a debating club, drive my son to hockey, daughters to gymnastics hang out with buddies, etc, the evenings are rarely free to be mesmerized watching Lapierre make funny faces to taunt the opponents and hearing Benoit Benoit analyze the work ethic of the fourth line. When I hear Habs fans say that they haven't missed a game in years, it seems a bit excessive.

But I am glad you watch nonetheless. I enjoy the expertise, passion and analysis on this forum. I am probably more loyal to this discussion forum than I am to the actual games, I find some people here very funny and others very intelligent.
I think age probably plays a bit of a part in it. Not for every one but in some cases. I am 22 years old so even though my life often feels hectic, in reality it is not that crazy at this age and this juncture. It is definitely not hard for me to find the time nor do any of my relationships suffer. If I had children and a career for instance it would be a lot harder for to find the time I presume, so I definitely see where you are coming from. I can't say for sure how many games I would be able to or find the need to watch in your shoes, that's for sure.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
coolasprICE

If we replace every hour of watching hockey with exercising/working/ learning/ socializing/ spending quality time with a loved one...........

I'd be pretty miserable.

Jokes aside, most of the time I miss a game is because I play hockey. When I was single there were more distractions, now that I'm not, and that my gf loves to cook, I'm watching more hockey.

Essentially, being in a relationship is conducive to watching to hockey unless the 2nd half is against it... if she is against it, you minus well just be single anyways.

If my gf of 3 and half years gave me a hard time with watching games she'd be living at her parents. Instead I put my foot down and the only consequence is that I have to take her to some crappy chick flick once in awhile.. but that's ok, I try to smoke a fat one so I can pass out and take a nice nap.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:36 PM
FF de Mars

I write aka work at the same time that I watch the Habs. It's pretty inspiring. I think that pro-sports are like TV shows, but with real"er" development and emotions. And once you are a fan of a team, you get so many details, and life really is about details, that's how you find out about or create your own theories, while linking all of that.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I like to catch the vast majority live... but with the time zone and work, it cant always be done

the HD PVR is prolly one of the best investments I've made.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote