HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Laviolette Continute Alternating Goalies?

View Poll Results: Will the goalies alternate games?
Yes 41 69.49%
No 18 30.51%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2010, 11:58 AM
  #1
CerpinTaxt
Registered User
 
CerpinTaxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
Will Laviolette Continute Alternating Goalies?

Its clear so far that we dont have a clear cut #1 between Bob and Bouch. Do you think he is going to give both equal playing time, or is he choosing goalie based upon the opposite team?

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 12:19 PM
  #2
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,362
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't think he will. At some point, either Sideshow Bob or Boosh will begin to faulter and one will emerge as the starter. The other will be sent down when Leighton returns, and then depending on how well whoever stays is playing, there will likely be some sort of alternating that takes place then.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 12:20 PM
  #3
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
Its clear so far that we dont have a clear cut #1 between Bob and Bouch. Do you think he is going to give both equal playing time, or is he choosing goalie based upon the opposite team?
Per his own words, he's getting them both going early.

I take this to mean he's alternating them. Eventually if one really heats up or cools down, he'll proceed to ride the hot hand.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 12:21 PM
  #4
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,116
vCash: 500
Until one of them starts screwing up or Leighton comes back, yes.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 12:56 PM
  #5
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Until one of them starts screwing up or Leighton comes back, yes.
shudder

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:07 PM
  #6
phillyflu
Registered User
 
phillyflu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
I new here so I'm guessing you need a certain number of posts before you can vote in a poll. Since I can't vote, I'll just say, yes he'll keep alternating them for awhile.

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:12 PM
  #7
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Until one of them starts screwing up or Leighton comes back, yes.
Agreed. He's going to make them both work for it until the "Number 1" rises out of the fog. Not a bad strategy. It forces both to play their ***** off.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:21 PM
  #8
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,352
vCash: 500
I don't know about Leighton coming back, I think the organization is a little pissed at him rigth now for not disclosing certain injury details. He will be made an example of IMHO as he should be.
Waive HIM I say

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:24 PM
  #9
EasyMac
Registered User
 
EasyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
I don't know about Leighton coming back, I think the organization is a little pissed at him rigth now for not disclosing certain injury details. He will be made an example of IMHO as he should be.
Waive HIM I say
It will be interesting when he comes back for sure. If both Boucher and Bobs are playing well, there is no reason either one should be sent down. I hope they both can play at a high level and force the team to bury Leighton in the minors.

As for now, I think it will be a rotation system, until one of the two clearly starts to outperform the other. If it is (fingers crossed) Bobs that is playing better, I still think you will see Boucher get a fair number of starts as they won't want to wear Bobs down (or at least they shouldn't, although they did play Emery a ton last year despite him never playing a huge number of games so then again I wouldn't be surprised if they forced Bobs to play too much).

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:49 PM
  #10
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
I don't know about Leighton coming back, I think the organization is a little pissed at him rigth now for not disclosing certain injury details. He will be made an example of IMHO as he should be.
Waive HIM I say
Depends on how well the team and our goalies are doing by the team Leighton comes back (which is a relatively long time from now). If one of our goalies isn't playing up to par then Leighton will get a chance.

Not to mention that Leighton is signed for two years at 1.55 per and our organization is loyal to a fault. So I doubt Leighton never gets a chance again.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:58 PM
  #11
CerpinTaxt
Registered User
 
CerpinTaxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
I think that when and if Leighton comes back, it will be Bob who will be the one who is sent down. Bob wouldnt have to clear waivers like Leighton, Bouch, and Backlund would have to. If we sustain another goalie injury, would be easier to call up Bob then the other three.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:21 PM
  #12
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
I'm under the impression there will be a lot of platooning for the next 6-8 weeks (unless one of Boucher or Bobrovsky really stands out or you-know-whats the bed). When Leighton comes back, I imagine he'll get more than his share of starts (Bob will probably go down to the AHL), and it will be up to Leighton to stay. Let's say I'll be surprised if Leighton's given a long leash upon his return, assuming Bob continues playing solidly.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:43 PM
  #13
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Yes. I don't think either goalie could handle a full season load, so he will ride whomever until they go cold.

Bobo has only played 2 seasons in the 30s of games, and Boucher is not known to be very consistent. Expecting either goalie to play 50-60 games is crazy.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:48 PM
  #14
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,351
vCash: 500
I voted 'YES' even though I think that it will not be a strict alternating.

My thinking is that BoBo still has to get used to the NA NHL long schedule with any more games, as well as become more comfortable with the smaller rink and different style of play. This plus the fact that he is still really young and quite raw, although he seems highly skilled and very quick with good hockey sense... he also is reported to be a good student who will listen and learn. I like that he seems humble and appears to understand how important his teammates are -- although that is what is supposed to be said, and it has to be shown to be true.

Boosh on the other hand seems to be familiar with a back up role and doesn't have to play a lot of games to give quality starts... While I'm certain he wants to be a #1 and can get hot and be in a 'zone' when played a long stretch when called on, I also believe he is a TEAM player and will mentor BoBo and when in a rotation will give his all.

That is all pretty much just common knowledge -- with a dash of opinion -- and I'm guessing that Lavvy look at it with similar logic and will go easy on the kid and not rush him... That not to say that he will not play a very hot goalie for a fairly extended time, or go by opponent on a hunch... And of course down the stretch will be an entirely different matter with a complete designated #1 getting the lion's share.

To be honest I have no idea what will happen when Leights comes back if BoBo is playing well, and Boosh is also... Do they send the kid down to play a lot with the Phantoms and develop? Do they move Boosh? Do they make Leights work his way back to the #1 job and move him if he doesn't grab it... saving Cap-space in the process? IMO it will be very interesting a couple of months down the line.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:55 PM
  #15
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I voted 'YES' even though I think that it will not be a strict alternating.

My thinking is that BoBo still has to get used to the NA NHL long schedule with any more games, as well as become more comfortable with the smaller rink and different style of play. This plus the fact that he is still really young and quite raw, although he seems highly skilled and very quick with good hockey sense... he also is reported to be a good student who will listen and learn. I like that he seems humble and appears to understand how important his teammates are -- although that is what is supposed to be said, and it has to be shown to be true.

Boosh on the other hand seems to be familiar with a back up role and doesn't have to play a lot of games to give quality starts... While I'm certain he wants to be a #1 and can get hot and be in a 'zone' when played a long stretch when called on, I also believe he is a TEAM player and will mentor BoBo and when in a rotation will give his all.

That is all pretty much just common knowledge -- with a dash of opinion -- and I'm guessing that Lavvy look at it with similar logic and will go easy on the kid and not rush him... That not to say that he will not play a very hot goalie for a fairly extended time, or go by opponent on a hunch... And of course down the stretch will be an entirely different matter with a complete designated #1 getting the lion's share.

To be honest I have no idea what will happen when Leights comes back if BoBo is playing well, and Boosh is also... Do they send the kid down to play a lot with the Phantoms and develop? Do they move Boosh? Do they make Leights work his way back to the #1 job and move him if he doesn't grab it... saving Cap-space in the process? IMO it will be very interesting a couple of months down the line.
Hopefully they put Leights through a conditioning stint.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
  #16
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Hopefully they put Leights through a conditioning stint.
Yea, and I sure hope that this season there is more stability in goal with less ins and outs due to various injuries... Leights' injury got them off to a bad and recently familiar start.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:08 PM
  #17
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Yes, considering Bobrovsky's career high for games is 35 it is the right thing to do.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:08 PM
  #18
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Hopefully they put Leights through a conditioning stint.
and forget to call him back up

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:10 PM
  #19
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
I think that when and if Leighton comes back, it will be Bob who will be the one who is sent down. Bob wouldnt have to clear waivers like Leighton, Bouch, and Backlund would have to. If we sustain another goalie injury, would be easier to call up Bob then the other three.
Very good points.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
  #20
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Hopefully they put Leights through a conditioning stint.
They can always pull out the old "Hey you have Vertigo, you have to retire now" routine ala Jeff Hackett.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:00 PM
  #21
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Yes, considering Bobrovsky's career high for games is 35 it is the right thing to do.
This may be the first time I've ever agreed with Cartiephan, but yes, having Bob play 55 games plus the POs would not be good.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
  #22
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morgantown PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
I'm under the impression there will be a lot of platooning for the next 6-8 weeks (unless one of Boucher or Bobrovsky really stands out or you-know-whats the bed). When Leighton comes back, I imagine he'll get more than his share of starts (Bob will probably go down to the AHL), and it will be up to Leighton to stay. Let's say I'll be surprised if Leighton's given a long leash upon his return, assuming Bob continues playing solidly.
give Boucher enough starts and he will most certainly **** the bed to pieces

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:05 PM
  #23
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
This is the stupidest thing Laviolette has done. Bobrovsky has earned the starter's role. He's outplayed every goalie on the roster in pre-season, he's outplayed Boucher so far this year. Enough of this stupid rotating back and forth - give Bobrovsky the starter's role and let him run with it until he falters.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:14 PM
  #24
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Bob needs to be brought along conservatively and Boucher is mentally able to be the back up and play limited games. There is no reason to lean hard on Bob the first month or so of the season. Also, if he does become the de facto starter, he's never played anywhere close to a full NHL season. Boucher is going to need to pick up a lot of slack.

And, since only the forwards have really been slacking off, there's no reason to single one of the goalies out for bad play. They've both done everything that has been asked of them.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:23 PM
  #25
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,233
vCash: 156
i'd rather not risk shattering bobbo by giving him a starter's load.


on a side note, i bet leighton reinjures himself in his first game back. i just have really bad feelings about this whole back thing.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.