HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Recommend some hockey pants!

Old
10-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Recommend some hockey pants!

I'm using some cheap-ass Missions at the moment and I keep getting bruises on my hips when I fall, so I think it's time to upgrade the pants. What do you like? What offers improved protection in a lightweight package? Is there anything else I need to know before I buy?

I'd like to keep it under $100, but since this is the only piece of equipment I need at the moment I can splurge a little.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Tackla 9000's are really light, really protective, and will last you forever.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 11:25 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I have CCM Vector 08s and they have a ton of protection. When I first got them I thought there might be a little too much protection and that they would be bulky. Now that I have been skating in them for a few months I really like them. They are comfortable and no bruises for sure. Below are a couple of links:

If you are a size large and you dont mind Royal Blue there is this great deal:

http://www.westwoodsports.com/browse...ts/4,1450.html

If you are a size small here is even a better deal:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hock...or-v08-sr.html

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I have CCM Vector 08s and they have a ton of protection. When I first got them I thought there might be a little too much protection and that they would be bulky. Now that I have been skating in them for a few months I really like them. They are comfortable and no bruises for sure. Below are a couple of links:

Hows the tailbone protection on those?

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 11:48 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm using some cheap-ass Missions at the moment and I keep getting bruises on my hips when I fall, so I think it's time to upgrade the pants. What do you like? What offers improved protection in a lightweight package? Is there anything else I need to know before I buy?

I'd like to keep it under $100, but since this is the only piece of equipment I need at the moment I can splurge a little.
Tackla 2440s, $95 and very comfortable and protective:

http://www.amazon.com/Tackla-2440-Li.../dp/B000UAL7EI

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 12:16 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
Seems good, but to be honest I have been lucky enough to not need it yet.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 12:35 PM
ponder

Some pants don't have hip protection, some do, it's very obvious if they have it or not. I'd suggest just going into a store, find a bunch of pants that have as much protection as you want, try them all on, and buy the ones that give you the best combination of mobility/comfort, protection, and price. I personally don't see the point of spending $200 on top of the line Tacklas when you can get good pants for $60-$100.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You can get the Tackla 9000's for $120 online with free shipping if you use a coupon code. I got them from a local shop for $115 because I buy there a lot and they give me a discount.

I also really liked the Reebok 9k pants (the 2010 models, not the 2009). Those are under $100 online but some shops wanted $115+ for them. They are heavier though.

As for whether they are worth it or not, check the reputation of Tacklas. Yes, nobody needs $120 pants like nobody needs $200 Eagles or $200 S19's. But they are worth every penny. Mine had zero break in time, have fantastic mobility, and I haven't felt a thing in them on the ice (and I've gotten dumped pretty hard a few times).

Old
10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You can get the Tackla 9000's for $120 online with free shipping if you use a coupon code. I got them from a local shop for $115 because I buy there a lot and they give me a discount.

I also really liked the Reebok 9k pants (the 2010 models, not the 2009). Those are under $100 online but some shops wanted $115+ for them. They are heavier though.

As for whether they are worth it or not, check the reputation of Tacklas. Yes, nobody needs $120 pants like nobody needs $200 Eagles or $200 S19's. But they are worth every penny. Mine had zero break in time, have fantastic mobility, and I haven't felt a thing in them on the ice (and I've gotten dumped pretty hard a few times).
At stores in Canada the high end Tacklas are around $200, in the States if you can get them for around $120 then thats certainly not too bad.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

reebok 7k pants, bauer one95 girdle

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:05 PM
rinkrat22

taklas. I have had in the past 10 years or so... ccm supra's (lasted about 18 months)
rbk 6k's (lasted about 10 months)
bauer 0ne95's ( ripped out the inner thigh in 6 weeks, got my money back on those)
I have been using the Taklas now for about a year and they are still in great shape.
I'm 38 in pretty good shape for my age, I skate 4-5 times a week in the winter and 2-3 times a week in the summer. so my equipment gets used and these pants have held up well. just my $.02 though.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:30 PM
dpixel8

what are some decent (and INEXPENSIVE) girdles to wear under inline pants or jogging pants for just doing some simple skating/drills by ones-self? Really only want tailbone protection.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post

I second this. I got mine from my local shop for about $50 bucks too

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:51 AM
greyraven8

ideally i'd go with a pair of tacklas.

i'd even go with a used pair. i have 2 pairs of player's pants and one goalie pair (bought 1 of the player's new, the other 2 used); all 3 are tacklas. great protection.

sometimes you can get a better deal on a new or used pair if they are not black or blue and are more unusual colours - i.e. green, purple.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:57 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixel8 View Post
what are some decent (and INEXPENSIVE) girdles to wear under inline pants or jogging pants for just doing some simple skating/drills by ones-self? Really only want tailbone protection.
i use a mission csx, check them out if you haven't already seen one. they're cheap and quite light, with good tailbone protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan
i use a V06, which should be worse than a V08 and tested the tailbone protection quite a lot , seemed to protect me, but i am small and only around 160 pounds, so if you're 6'4" and 200 just take it with a grain of salt...

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 05:18 AM
sag2k3

That CCM Vector 08 is very good, light and cover a lot of body.

sag2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 07:11 AM
DevilsFan38

Quote:

I'd absolutely second the vote for Tacklas (I've also got the 9000's). I upgraded to them from my old Nike Bauer Supreme 30's over the summer and I absolutely love them. It's probably more protection than I need, but it's really nice not feeling a thing when you fall. And I'm sure they are heavier than my old pants, but the extra weight hasn't bothered me at all.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Frankie Spankie

I have heard nothing but good with Tackla pants.

I personally have a pair of Reebok 5Ks which I got a year or two ago for $50, I think they're great. Another guy on my team got the same pair about a month later and likes them too.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixel8 View Post
Check some used shops, I saw old Bauer MBP's in good shape for $20-ish. Otherwise Nike makes padded football shorts that look pretty cool...in the $50 range but basically compression shorts with hip and thigh padding.

Old
10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I have heard nothing but good with Tackla pants.

I personally have a pair of Reebok 5Ks which I got a year or two ago for $50, I think they're great. Another guy on my team got the same pair about a month later and likes them too.
I'm considering getting those, well the current version. How's the tailbone protection?

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the thing with teh tacklas is that they are bulky and heavy. if you go to a girdle, you wont go back especially if you are playing mens league where tehre isnt much contact. they are so light and flexible and not restrictive like pants can be

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:23 PM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
the thing with teh tacklas is that they are bulky and heavy. if you go to a girdle, you wont go back especially if you are playing mens league where tehre isnt much contact. they are so light and flexible and not restrictive like pants can be

any good recommendations (on a site with links) of a girdle with a "cover" (not sure that's what they're called. maybe a shell)

Old
10-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/inline-girdles-sr.html

Tackla 9000's aren't heavy at all. Bulky maybe, but they have great mobility so it's a non-issue.

Old
10-14-2010, 02:14 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/inline-girdles-sr.html

Tackla 9000's aren't heavy at all. Bulky maybe, but they have great mobility so it's a non-issue.
Yeah, i agree. I have Tackla 5000's and i really don't even notice them on the ice. I notice their bulkiness when in the bag, but there is just so much protection around the hips, i love it. Save my tailbone more than a few times when i crashed into the boards. I really don't think i could wear another kind of pant, though those CCMs have interested me in the past.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:29 AM
dpixel8

Sure wish I could figure out the right size for me for breisers (sp). I am 5'4", but I have a 34" waist (not REAL waist, but jean size). I almost feel like I should be in a Junior size, since my Reebok 8k's seem LONG on me. Sucks. I think I gotta just go and try a bunch of pair on at the LHS