HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Christensen hurt. Drury & Gilroy in, Sauer sits.

Old
10-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Excellent. Always good news when two players are being replaced by two better players.

Eminger has no place in this lineup. EC should be fourth line center at best.

Not saying Drury should be first, but he deserves to be in this lineup a lot more than EC does.
My sentiments exactly...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Garfinkel1

Gilroy is going to show everyone what he's all about. I'm betting he makes a lot of you re-evaluate your own opinions of him from shift to shift.

-In a positive way lol

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:52 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Gilroy is going to show everyone what he's all about. I'm betting he makes a lot of you re-evaluate your own opinions of him from shift to shift.

-In a positive way lol
He can start by getting some good, NHL calibre shots through to the net from the point - thats all i ask.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:54 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
I'd love to see "Avalanche Drury":

Not unless he brings Avalanche Forsberg and Avalanche Sakic too.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:58 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Well then you have no understanding of the defensive side of being a center.

All you see if playmaker potential and want to put a 20 year old at the #1C spot, its a recipe for disaster. Properly developing a player is not some sort of myth.

Theres no way I put Stepan up against the top centers/defensive pairings in the league at even strength and watch him get smoked on the defensive side of the puck all night. Its not fair to him or his development.

He is best served playing the 3rd line at even strength with power play time right now.
Double-edged sword.. Drury on the 1st line means you have no play-making center so less offensive production, but more defensive responsibility.

Stepan on the 1st line means more offensive production, but a defensive liability.

Neither of them are like Datsyuk (imo best two-way fwd in the league)... this team needs more goals than it needs $7m PKers.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:00 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
The only way we'd see Avalanche Drury is if we could trade him to the Avalanche. Hopefully Drury can at least be somewhat effective playing with an elite winger and Frolov.

Good to see Eminger out of the line up because he has been terrible. Gilroy to get his chance hopefully he grab it with both hands.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
It would really just make my day to see Drury take this great opportunity and run with it. Be more like the guy in that video, or the Buffalo days.

I'm a big Drury supporter, a big fan, before he signed, and I'm really hoping for the best.

Unfortunately hoping and believing are two different things... and if he fails on the first line now I'm sure people will ride him even harder then before...

Good luck Chris.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
The only way we'd see Avalanche Drury is if we could trade him to the Avalanche. Hopefully Drury can at least be somewhat effective playing with an elite winger and Frolov.

Good to see Eminger out of the line up because he has been terrible. Gilroy to get his chance hopefully he grab it with both hands.
Eminger should have never been playing in the first place. If Torts didnt want to use Gilroy over him, he should have kept McD or Vtank on the roster. We have enough capable young d-men to not be using a scrub like Eminger on a daily basis.

Eminger should come with a label that says "use when necessary." Necessary being when one of our guys needs a rest or in case of injury.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:05 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post

-In a positive way lol
i would love it

i doubt it

but i would love it

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:07 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Gilroy playing well would be a huge boost to this team. Not holding my breath but am certainly gonna root hard for the guy.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:08 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Eminger should have never been playing in the first place. If Torts didnt want to use Gilroy over him, he should have kept McD or Vtank on the roster. We have enough capable young d-men to not be using a scrub like Eminger on a daily basis.

Eminger should come with a label that says "use when necessary." Necessary being when one of our guys needs a rest or in case of injury.
I said it all pre-season

But he had to be our vet according to some even though he makes the mistakes a rookie should be making.

This is Gilroy's chance to keep him out the line up.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:12 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think Fro and Drury complement Gaborik well. Not saying I want Drury on the top line at all, but two guys who are defensively reliable and pot in the garbage goals next to an elite sniper like gabs may work out well.

Plus the second and third lines have been great, so i don't wan tto mess with them either.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:13 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Friday can't come soon enough.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:16 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Drury can center the 1st line just fine, if (i) Gaborik starts to really take responsibility all over the ice and (ii) the D's on that line really moves the puck well.

The problem is if Drury is relied upon to take the puck up ice.
with regards to

(i) - What do you mean by "all over the ice?" Drury is as defensively responsible as it gets. If anything, it takes pressure off Gaborik on the defensive side.

(ii) - Agree with you. Enter Del Zotto. Also, Gaborik likes to skate the puck into the zone.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

neither drury nor frolov seem to require a playmaker based on their playign style...frolov is a boards and in front of the net guy, gabby is a speed guy who can pretty much do anything with the puck, pass, shoot, score, set up, play the boards, etc...drury might work, id be interested to see how it goes..esp with Drurys defensive game those 2 might be able to cherry pick a bit.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:23 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Well then you have no understanding of the defensive side of being a center.

All you see if playmaker potential and want to put a 20 year old at the #1C spot, its a recipe for disaster. Properly developing a player is not some sort of myth.

Theres no way I put Stepan up against the top centers/defensive pairings in the league at even strength and watch him get smoked on the defensive side of the puck all night. Its not fair to him or his development.

He is best served playing the 3rd line at even strength with power play time right now.
To be fair to Stepan, he actually is a pretty good defensive forward and has been breaking up passes and plays, although I do agree, he shouldn't be rushed in.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
FOXHOUND*

Don't fix what's not broke. 2 lines are working and providing offense. Don't change them.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:31 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
I can see drury thriving in this role. two super talents can do all of the cute things and he can just park himself where there's open space and clean up the trash.
Drury has always been a player who produces best when he plays with players who are more talented than he. When he plays on a line with Callahan and Avery or Higgins he is surrounded by guys who play a similar game (offensively) to him and no one is a big playmaker or capable of drawing coverage to themselves. Drury has always thrived by getting to the open spaces created by his more talented linemates and having a nose for loose pucks and burying garbage goals. He could look good between those two.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Kind of Blue

Pleasantly surprised to see some positive and hopeful comments re Dru.

I'm all for trying this; it could work, for Dru and the team in general.

He won't admit it, but fact is he's not going to be 100% for several games though -- just hope everyone keeps that in mind.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
He can start by getting some good, NHL calibre shots through to the net from the point - thats all i ask.

Sadly, I don't think he will ever be able to do this.

I do think he will learn to jump in on the rush WHEN appropriate... and play solid D while contributing to the transition game.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Don't fix what's not broke. 2 lines are working and providing offense. Don't change them.

Nobody is talking about changing them. Drury for Christensen. The other two line are unchanged.

10-13-2010, 02:49 PM
eco's bones

I have some serious doubts that Drury is going to work well with Gaborik and Torts is putting Gaborik in the role of playmaker here when he's our best shooter. I as well have doubts about Drury's ability to keep up with the better skating Gaborik. I guess we're going to see--though it reminds me of Renney's occasional experiments putting Betts as a center on a scoring line. Christensen certainly is a pedestrian player in a lot of respects but I'd rather see him with Gaborik than Drury. Oh well--up to Chris to prove me wrong.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:53 PM
ruckus*

As much as I hate Gilroy, I wouldn't mind him getting his chance. Competition for those last spots should be in place.

Gabby must be having nightmares thinking of Drury.

Now he'll get to play with him and Frolov.....

And I'm sure Frolov will be fine this year, but through the first two games you can color me unimpressed.

I was expecting him to be more noticeable.

I feel for Gabby.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
As much as I hate Gilroy, I wouldn't mind him getting his chance. Competition for those last spots should be in place.

Gabby must be having nightmares thinking of Drury.

Now he'll get to play with him and Frolov.....

And I'm sure Frolov will be fine this year, but through the first two games you can color me unimpressed.

I was expecting him to be more noticeable.

I feel for Gabby.
Nightmares? Of what — being deprived of playing with the legendary playmaker Eric Christensen?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Nightmares? Of what — being deprived of playing with the legendary playmaker Eric Christensen?
Bravo sir, bravo. Hahaha.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote