HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Still Interested in Brad Richards

Old
10-12-2010, 09:07 PM
azrok22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Even if he played 4th line, he'd probably get 10-12 minutes a game from being on the top PK unit, and maybe even throw in some PP time.

With the amount we're paying him, the only problem he should have with that role is feeling like he should be playing well enough to be higher than that.

The NHL's best teams can roll 4 lines. Kennedy-Drury-Prust is a very comfortable line to roll, and probly will get 10 more goals over the course of the season than Boogaard-Boyle-Prust
I don't know, but for a guy who is described as being so "competitive", and is best known for his post-season play, I can't see playing a 3rd/4th line role on a non-playoff team as something that would make him happy.

And, of course, I'm not saying this is likely, just a possibility. Suggesting that Drury is guaranteed to be here a year from now is too definite a statement for me to agree with.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 09:22 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i agree

my reasoning is because they dont really know what they have yet

after this year we'll have a lot better idea of what we're going to get from Dubi, AA, and Stepan

im pretty sure the front office is using this season as an oppritunity to get a good hard look at what we really have in our system...not a bad idea if you ask me
This is a really good point. Technically, you can say it of any young player or prospect on any team (in any sport). However, the Rangers simply have SO many guys who are either young in their development (Sauer, MDZ, Anisimov, Stepan) or right at the inflection point where we're about to discover what they'll be for the bulk of their careers (Dubinsky, Callahan and even Staal to a certain degree), that it really wouldn't behoove the team to trade them until they shake out and the Rangers have a better idea of exactly what they've got in the cupboard.

No deals for established vets unless you're trading peripheral players or you perceive it to be a completely lopsided transaction even factoring in the unknown factor with the kids. This is a rebuilding year - sink or swim with the kids. If they develop quickly, playoffs; if not, take the good draft pick and continue onwards and upwards next year.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 10:10 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Richards would make the team so much better offensively, and would finally give us a complete forward corps.

That being said, if we had to trade Rosival to get him, I think it would hurt BIG time.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 11:22 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Larry was a guest of Maloney's yesterday after the first intermission,he told Dave the Rangers are looking for a defenseman and could make a move this week. Of course,he has been saying that for the last week. No names. SS is not close to playing and teams will want to see him play some games.

Getting to Richards,the trade deadline is five/six months months away. March 2. The Stars are in the process of being sold. Hicks and his creditors want more money than the NHL team is worth. The sale could be completed by January. Joe Nieuwendyk wants to re-sign Richards who wants to stay with the Stars. Texas has no state income tax. They don't tax employee wages. $7 million there is $8 plus million in NY. Besides how are the Rangers adding another huge cap hit in the summer Dubinsky,Callahan and AA are group II free agents? AA is looking at close to $2 million per in a 1-2 year deal as a group II with no arb rights. The other 2 are arbitration eligible. The cap isn't expected to increase very much if at all. No guarantee the NHLPA votes for the 5% bump. No bonus cushion for 11-12 because the CBA expires after that season.

If Stepan and AA continue to develop,what sense does it make to sign Richards?One of the kids is destined for the 3rd line for infinity giving Richards a free agent contract or Richards becomes the 3rd line center making $8 million with Drury is the 4th line center with a $7 million cap hit. Priceless.

Why would Richards agree to terms with the team in a sign and trade? That never happens. When has the last time that happened in the NHL? Never. We went the same nonsense with Kovalchuk last winter. Waddell wouldn't give a window to complete a trade and Grossman wanted to go to July 1.

And the borderline playoff team Rangers should trade #1 picks and young assets for a rental?Priceless.
Not really the point here, but possibly Hossa's trade to the Thrashers?

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 09:23 AM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
Richards would make the team so much better offensively, and would finally give us a complete forward corps.

That being said, if we had to trade Rosival to get him, I think it would hurt BIG time.
What exactly does Roszival add to the team?

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 09:34 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
He plays a lot of minutes... sure most of them are maddening, but no one can play steady 20+ min a night except Staal, Girardi, and Rozsival... DZ might get there in a year or so and Eminger/Gilroy... no.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
You try replacing Rozsival this season from within the system and then we'll find out together.

Glad you're not gm, Christ.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 09:40 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
He's a veteran D who can log a lot of minutes in all game situations (ES, PP, PK). If you trade him and ask an inexperienced rookie to fill his shoes, we're asking for a lot of trouble on our back-end... More so than already exists... The issue is less about what Rozsival contributes and more about not having any suitable replacement for him if he were to be traded.... We need an experienced guy in that role with good endurance and stamina.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:01 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
rosy played almost 30 minutes last game...we currently have no 3rd pair and are asking del zotto to play above his capabilities defensively. so regardless of any flaws that rosy might have. we need another reliable dman BADLY with him here getting top minutes, if you remove rosy then we'd desparately need TWO reliable dman. unless the game plan is for staal and girardi to play 40 minutes/game.

as much as we might not like them, unless we are bringing in replacements its near impossible to move one of our blueliners

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:29 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
He's a veteran D who can log a lot of minutes in all game situations (ES, PP, PK). If you trade him and ask an inexperienced rookie to fill his shoes, we're asking for a lot of trouble on our back-end... More so than already exists... The issue is less about what Rozsival contributes and more about not having any suitable replacement for him if he were to be traded.... We need an experienced guy in that role with good endurance and stamina.
My question is why? This team is not built to win a championship so who cares if we lose a few extra games? And if trading Roszi helps us long term...even if it's just to indirectly get a higher pick in the draft than I am definitely all for it. I am not a fan of tanking but I also am not a fan of overpriced vets who suck. If I had to choose between one or the other I'd take the extra losses. Between McD, Sauer, Staal, Girardi, Gilroy, MDZ, is it really true we can't disperse ROszi's minutes?

Drop off in D-play prob won'tbe as big as some are hinting. I think Roszi has been one of the worst players on the ice.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
My question is why? This team is not built to win a championship so who cares if we lose a few extra games? And if trading Roszi helps us long term...even if it's just to indirectly get a higher pick in the draft than I am definitely all for it. I am not a fan of tanking but I also am not a fan of overpriced vets who suck. If I had to choose between one or the other I'd take the extra losses. Between McD, Sauer, Staal, Girardi, Gilroy, MDZ, is it really true we can't disperse ROszi's minutes?

Drop off in D-play prob won'tbe as big as some are hinting. I think Roszi has been one of the worst players on the ice.
That's a great way to piss off Lundqvist and hamper MDZ's development (who could benefit from having an experienced D partner. None of our rookies are capable/ready for 2nd line pairing minutes.... Not Gilroy, McD, Sauer, Valentenko. Our 3rd pairing is already shaky enough with no veteran back there.

I was all for trading Prospal at the deadline last year but moving Rozsival now at the expense of acquiring a 1st line Center who will be a UFA this summer anyway is not a smart move. Plus, who's to say Dallas or any team even is eager to trade for him if he's as bad as you claim he is?

Old
10-13-2010, 02:35 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:

if you guys dont think Rosi is good...how iwll trading him away get us a higher pick in the draft?

if you DO acknowledge that trading him hurts the team, and still want to do it, why stop there? Trade Gabby and Henrik (who will isngle handedly keep the team out of last place) and stock up on top prospects for the next 3 seasons

or just save yourself the trouble of endouring those years and just buy a penguins jersey now

EDIT: and no, no person or combination of people in our organization can effectively take rosi's minutes

Last edited by mullichicken25: 10-13-2010 at 02:52 PM.
mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:44 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:

the only problem with this arguement IMO is that if you are going to say that we aren't good enough so it doesn't matter if we lose with rookie dmen, then by the same logic we aren't good enough to give up assets to get brad richards as a rental...

you can't have it both ways. if you think we are still a nonplayoff team with richards then why not wait until july 1st when he becomes a ufa

Old
10-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Then, bluntly, you aren't very good at analyzing the game. All there is to it.

And if you think the front office's staff's mindset is "Sell the vets, they'll only win us a couple more games and we arent winning this year anyways..." then you're nuts. Never ever gonna happen. Team doesn't tank, especially not to start the year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:13 PM
XLJ

I would be interested in Richards in the offseason. The rangers are finally going in the right direction with devoloping there young players. I do not want to trade Dubi or Anisimov.

A lot of going after Richards depends on Stepan though. If Stepan has a great rookie year and is looking like a number 1 center. I think Paul Stastny is a pretty comparable player hopefully. Then I dont think it would be wise to spend 7 million plus on Richards. They might want to look at finding a better defense partner for Staal. Or looking to upgrade right wing which is pretty thin in the rangers organization after Gaborik.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 09:29 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I would be interested in Richards in the offseason. The rangers are finally going in the right direction with devoloping there young players. I do not want to trade Dubi or Anisimov.

A lot of going after Richards depends on Stepan though. If Stepan has a great rookie year and is looking like a number 1 center. I think Paul Stastny is a pretty comparable player hopefully. Then I dont think it would be wise to spend 7 million plus on Richards. They might want to look at finding a better defense partner for Staal. Or looking to upgrade right wing which is pretty thin in the rangers organization after Gaborik.
stepan's development could lessen the need to go after/overpay for a top center but its extremely important to be strong and deep down the middle. even if stepan and anisimov both look great, the possibility of being 3 deep with richards, stepan and AA down the middle is pretty tempting

Old
10-13-2010, 10:08 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Then, bluntly, you aren't very good at analyzing the game. All there is to it.

And if you think the front office's staff's mindset is "Sell the vets, they'll only win us a couple more games and we arent winning this year anyways..." then you're nuts. Never ever gonna happen. Team doesn't tank, especially not to start the year.
It's no use...some people are always going to look at Drury and Rozi and see their contracts...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:24 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Richards in the offseason? Count me in at the right price.

Getting rid of Rozsival without upgrading the defense? Count me out.

They let up 5 goals to the Bridgeport Soundtigers, and people are looking to get rid of Rozsival?

Newsflash: Rozsival isn't the problem, and getting rid of him, even in a trade for Richards isn't the solution, unless there's another defender coming back.

Oh, and if you think you're getting Fistric or Grossman with Richards, be prepared to start wheeling and dealing names like Staal, Del Zotto, and Kreider.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Richards in the offseason? Count me in at the right price.
What's the right price? And what do you see him getting?

Quote:
Getting rid of Rozsival without upgrading the defense? Count me out.

They let up 5 goals to the Bridgeport Soundtigers, and people are looking to get rid of Rozsival?

Newsflash: Rozsival isn't the problem, and getting rid of him, even in a trade for Richards isn't the solution, unless there's another defender coming back.
Rozsival will be missed when he's eventually moved. He'll be that old job or fling that you were too stupid to appreciate. . .

Quote:
Oh, and if you think you're getting Fistric or Grossman with Richards, be prepared to start wheeling and dealing names like Staal, Del Zotto, and Kreider.
Grachev, EC, Gilroy, and a 2nd seems to be the hot **** going on right now. That package will get you Seabrook.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 12:17 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Grachev, EC, Gilroy, and a 2nd seems to be the hot **** going on right now. That package will get you Seabrook.
where do i sign?

Old
10-14-2010, 05:32 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Giving up very little for a rental is one thing, giving up the farm for him now, is another.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Im glad to see that everyone is starting to come around in regards to the rosi situation.

You don't find steady defenders like him just anywhere.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post

You don't find steady defenders like him just anywhere.
Steadily inconsistent?

I don't think it's so much that people think Rozsival is doing a great job back there... It's that we don't have any experienced players to replace him and rookies would fair worse being thrust into that situation....

Old
10-15-2010, 06:59 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
if you are going to say that we aren't good enough so it doesn't matter if we lose with rookie dmen, then by the same logic we aren't good enough to give up assets to get brad richards as a rental...
Agreed. The organization finally seems to have SOME willingness to let the days of the past actually be the days of the past. Why on earth must we exchange youth in the pursuit yet another older player so that we might chase a second round playoff exit?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:19 PM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Aye, but I wasn't actually suggesting that we trade him for Richards. I think people were assuming too much from my question. I'm simply curious what it is that actually makes Roszival so valuable to the team, and it seems that his best assets are that he's not inexperienced, he can log a lot of minutes, he won't **** up too much, and that he's somewhat consistent defensively. I'm not suggesting we trade him away and ask someone like McDonagh to fill his shoes because that would obviously be disastrous. I just find it kind of darkly humorous how some Ranger fans talk about Roszival as if he was an elite defensman when really we're just desperate to keep him right now, ya know?

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote