HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#4: Lightning @ Flyers - Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-14-2010, 07:14 AM
  #51
CNote
Get 'er done
 
CNote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
TBay's top 6 is very nice. This should be a great game. Hope to see Zherdev or JVR bust out!

Go Flyers Go!

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:15 AM
  #52
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 500
What are the chances the ex Flyers haunt us tonight?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:22 AM
  #53
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
People on here complained about the Upshall trade for like a good 9 months. So we're still got a decent amount of time before people will finally move on.

I would LOVE to have Gagne back, but I'm totally with you. Move on, we have a new season ahead of us.
They complain because we traded good players and got average back.

Not everyone wants to move on after watching Gagne for 10 years and before that following his development QMJHL.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:33 AM
  #54
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow
 
SeanL44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
I feel awful for Hedman having to play with Jones.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:46 AM
  #55
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
To be honest with you all, I am very appreciative of Gagne's tenure as a Flyers but he was very inconsistent and had so many injuries it was ridiculous. After the playoffs were over last season I was hell-bent on trading Carter but I believe we made the right choice in keeping Carter and trading Gagne. Yes I know you all think Homer did a horrible job with cap management but none of us know what happened behind the scenes.

So far, we've got 5 out of 6 points and our team isn't completely healthy yet or has chemistry built up. I'm sorry to see him go but the team is more important than any single player on the Flyers. I'm willing to bet that if we win the cup in the near future that you will forgive Homer and be happy about the trade.

I think it's gonna be a really close game tonight with Gagne coming out on fire. Tampa always plays us tough and I would like to see the first Shelley fight tonight. Let's go Flyers!!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:50 AM
  #56
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,548
vCash: 500
Gagne!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:14 AM
  #57
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
They complain because we traded good players and got average back.

Not everyone wants to move on after watching Gagne for 10 years and before that following his development QMJHL.
Flyers wanted grit with some ability to score in the Upshall trade, which they got. We also got rid of a player, much like Umberger, that they weren't going to be able to afford to re-sign.

Same thing with Gagne. As much as I think the Flyers did a crap job in their return, they needed to dump Gagne for the cap relief. They took crap back, but got the relief they needed, while keeping Gagne on a competitive team, which I think after his dedication to the team, the Flyers owed him that much to at least help him on that end. So far team doesn't look too bad without him, and Walker likely won't play much or he'll get waived later this winter and give some cap space for maybe a trade deadline move.

And I called it earlier. I'm willing to bet they're gonna try to get him back next season.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:18 AM
  #58
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,307
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Welcome back, Gagne! Hope he gets a standing ovation tonight.

And Knight, I'd be ecstatic if Gagne resigned with us next summer.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:22 AM
  #59
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Flyers wanted grit with some ability to score in the Upshall trade, which they got. We also got rid of a player, much like Umberger, that they weren't going to be able to afford to re-sign.

Same thing with Gagne. As much as I think the Flyers did a crap job in their return, they needed to dump Gagne for the cap relief. They took crap back, but got the relief they needed, while keeping Gagne on a competitive team, which I think after his dedication to the team, the Flyers owed him that much to at least help him on that end. So far team doesn't look too bad without him, and Walker likely won't play much or he'll get waived later this winter and give some cap space for maybe a trade deadline move.

And I called it earlier. I'm willing to bet they're gonna try to get him back next season.
I did not ask for your explanation why we did what we did with Usphall and Gagne.

I said I do not want average back. Walker is not even a hockey player comparing to Gagne.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:22 AM
  #60
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Flyers wanted grit with some ability to score in the Upshall trade, which they got. We also got rid of a player, much like Umberger, that they weren't going to be able to afford to re-sign.
You mean cap relief? That's what the trade was about...it wasn't that they were so in love with Carcillo that we made that trade to get him. It was incompetence with the cap. We also threw in a 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Same thing with Gagne. As much as I think the Flyers did a crap job in their return, they needed to dump Gagne for the cap relief. They took crap back, but got the relief they needed, while keeping Gagne on a competitive team, which I think after his dedication to the team, the Flyers owed him that much to at least help him on that end. So far team doesn't look too bad without him, and Walker likely won't play much or he'll get waived later this winter and give some cap space for maybe a trade deadline move.

And I called it earlier. I'm willing to bet they're gonna try to get him back next season.
Financially, Meszaros + Walker > Gagne. We took on money and longer contracts.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:28 AM
  #61
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,307
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Financially, Meszaros + Walker > Gagne. We took on money and longer contracts.
When has this team ever worried about finances? Money clearly isn't the issue.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:30 AM
  #62
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Financially, Meszaros + Walker > Gagne. We took on money and longer contracts.
Maybe less skill too, even know Meszaros looked ok so far.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:32 AM
  #63
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
When has this team ever worried about finances? Money clearly isn't the issue.
No one gives a **** about money in terms of how much Comcast needs to pay out. But don't think for a second that this move was smart moving forward. Gagne was on an expiring contract. We lost that salary cap flexibility when we took on multiple years of, what, 5.3M? That's absurd with Carter, JVR, and Giroux needing to be re-signed over the next two offseasons.

In the NBA, the concept of expiring contracts is huge. Unfortunately, some NHL GMs have not yet figured that out. Yzerman dumped two bad contracts on this team and will be free and clear from all financial obligations at the end of this season and the only thing he lost is a 4th round pick.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:35 AM
  #64
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Maybe less skill too, even know Meszaros looked ok so far.
One of the good things to take out of this is the fact that every time the 3rd defensive pairing steps on the ice, I no longer have to hold back ******** my pants.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:37 AM
  #65
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
I got an email from the Flyers about a promotion that they are doing saluting Gagne. For I think $79, you get a balcony level seat, an autographed picture of Gagne and some food specials as well as the video tribute to Gagne.

I agree that he should have retired as a Flyer; I wish him well but it makes me heartsick to see him in anything other than orange and black.

Having said that: Let's Go Flyers! The Flyers win but Gagne does well in the game.
I'm glad they are giving him a tribute but the promotion seems kind of inappropriate. I bet the signed photos were all signed before he left.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:40 AM
  #66
Kambo
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I'll be there. I'm gonna go and say Gagne and Downie (fantasy purposes) get goals, but the Flyers kill it. Hope Jones gets lit up all night. Still hate that little ****.

Go Gagne, but Go Flyers even more!




Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:40 AM
  #67
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
No one gives a **** about money in terms of how much Comcast needs to pay out. But don't think for a second that this move was smart moving forward. Gagne was on an expiring contract. We lost that salary cap flexibility when we took on multiple years of, what, 5.3M? That's absurd with Carter, JVR, and Giroux needing to be re-signed over the next two offseasons.

In the NBA, the concept of expiring contracts is huge. Unfortunately, some NHL GMs have not yet figured that out. Yzerman dumped two bad contracts on this team and will be free and clear from all financial obligations at the end of this season and the only thing he lost is a 4th round pick.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

Please look at that and then explain to me why we will not be able to re-sign Carter and Giroux. Keep in mind that the cap has gone up every year since the lockout as well.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:43 AM
  #68
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
One of the good things to take out of this is the fact that every time the 3rd defensive pairing steps on the ice, I no longer have to hold back ******** my pants.
I do not think anyone will argue and is arguing with you about that.

See again, you are arguing why we did it and take sides. I just miss Gagne just like I used to miss Brindy after we traded him.

Screw Walker, **** Shelley, Leighton can go to hell and instead of Mesz we could of have someone else for free and for less. With Meszaros we bought low so maybe we will sell high at some point.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:43 AM
  #69
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
I feel awful for Hedman having to play with Jones.

I completely forgot Jones will be coming too.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:46 AM
  #70
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
No one gives a **** about money in terms of how much Comcast needs to pay out. But don't think for a second that this move was smart moving forward. Gagne was on an expiring contract. We lost that salary cap flexibility when we took on multiple years of, what, 5.3M? That's absurd with Carter, JVR, and Giroux needing to be re-signed over the next two offseasons.

In the NBA, the concept of expiring contracts is huge. Unfortunately, some NHL GMs have not yet figured that out. Yzerman dumped two bad contracts on this team and will be free and clear from all financial obligations at the end of this season and the only thing he lost is a 4th round pick.
Look at moves like the Rangers waiving Wade Redden. Same situation, Rangers have financially an endless budget like the Flyers, but are held back by the cap. Smartest move they've done in years was waiving Redden.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:48 AM
  #71
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Look at moves like the Rangers waiving Wade Redden. Same situation, Rangers have financially an endless budget like the Flyers, but are held back by the cap. Smartest move they've done in years was waiving Redden.
When Sather signed Redden 70% of hockey world said why did he do it. A horrible deal from day one.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:03 AM
  #72
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

Please look at that and then explain to me why we will not be able to re-sign Carter and Giroux. Keep in mind that the cap has gone up every year since the lockout as well.
First, without getting into an economic argument, the cap has been going up for artificial reasons that are not sustainable. Counting on the cap to do anything more than keep up with inflation is irresponsible.

Second, how can you look at the cap picture and not foresee difficulties? If Carter has a repeat 40 goal season then our situation is automatically screwed. I think people on this board feel that Carter is going to sign for 5M which is just silly. He's going to get a raise. Additionally, Zherdev may well play himself out of our budget. But, in any event, the team will be looking to sign a 25 goal scorer. They aren't free. If Leino scores 20 then he will be getting a big raise. If Giroux gets to the 60+ point mark then he will be looking at a much larger salary.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:03 AM
  #73
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
will be at the game. My son will be one of the mites on ice between the 2nd and 3rd period. He will be the first might on ice to drop the gloves. Book it.

Hopefully there are several fights in the real game a swell.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:03 AM
  #74
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500




Welcome Back, Randy!!!


JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:14 AM
  #75
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
First, without getting into an economic argument, the cap has been going up for artificial reasons that are not sustainable. Counting on the cap to do anything more than keep up with inflation is irresponsible.

Second, how can you look at the cap picture and not foresee difficulties? If Carter has a repeat 40 goal season then our situation is automatically screwed. I think people on this board feel that Carter is going to sign for 5M which is just silly. He's going to get a raise. Additionally, Zherdev may well play himself out of our budget. But, in any event, the team will be looking to sign a 25 goal scorer. They aren't free. If Leino scores 20 then he will be getting a big raise. If Giroux gets to the 60+ point mark then he will be looking at a much larger salary.

I do see a problem if we try to re-sign ALL of those players. I don't think we can afford to keep Zherdev around. We also might have to lose Leino. I simply said that we would keep Carter and Giroux. I have explained all of this previously and I think that Carter will get around 6 mil while Giroux get's 3.5. We can definitely afford that.

It's tough to keep everyone in the cap era. If we win a cup or two in the near future and then need to drop a few people I am fine with it. You can't have everyone around forever.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.