HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Todd White as our Bottom Pair Defenseman? I hope you jest.

Old
10-14-2010, 03:52 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
lol Torts is a lunatic

Anyone else notice the jumbled lines starting during game 2..... didnt take long for Torts to get the itch. I like Torts, I do wish he would just let lines stay set for a few games.
People are too quick to jump to conclusions IMO. He barely juggled the lines when he didn't have too. Most of the times i noticed different line combos were after the PP/PK and when Christensen got hurt.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 06:58 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
He's a scratch so he was practicing as a d-men so the forward corps can get in sync. I wouldn't look into this that much. It's more of Spector showing his rookie journalism.
This. Voros/Boyle used to do it all the time I believe.

Surprised how many people still thought this was true below the above post

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:11 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
This. Voros/Boyle used to do it all the time I believe.

Surprised how many people still thought this was true below the above post
True, but keep in mind that Kennedy was also at practice yesterday, yet he wore a (yellow?) jersey and rotated with the Stepan line rather than the defensemen.

I still think this is probably a case of Spector being confused.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:45 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
lol Torts is a lunatic

Anyone else notice the jumbled lines starting during game 2..... didnt take long for Torts to get the itch. I like Torts, I do wish he would just let lines stay set for a few games.
i dont get how people, including Sam and Joe, fail to recognize that adjusting for the powerplay and penalty kill will temporarilly disrupt the lines

as well as line changes, Boogaard having an equipment problem, and injuries

just because 3 people happen to be on the ice at the same doesnt mean Torts is juggling the lines

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i dont get how people, including Sam and Joe, fail to recognize that adjusting for the powerplay and penalty kill will temporarilly disrupt the lines

as well as line changes, Boogaard having an equipment problem, and injuries

just because 3 people happen to be on the ice at the same doesnt mean Torts is juggling the lines
true I was at the season opener in Buffalo(which was awesome!) and after the PK the lines got mixed up a bit for the next 3 shifts because of who was on the ice for the PK, no biggie

I see Torts having Faith in Boyle and Prust on the PK. They can be useful in other roles. Boogaard is just there to face the other teams enforcer

lets hope he fights Orr Friday and gives the Leafs there first loss, wahhhhhhh

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:38 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

This is laughable if you ask me.

IF White actually suits up and plays defense for this team - I'm seriously going to change my feelings towards Tortorella. Mess around in practice as an extra - fine- (which is probably all it is) but you cant have a half injured, 35 year old midget forward convert into a defenseman overnight and expect good results. It was one thing sending Kennedy down, this is something ridiculous all its own. This can't happen, im sorry. There are several other options. **** if they were that hard pressed for defenseman they should've signed McIlrath and put him back there instead.

This is BS.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:43 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This is laughable if you ask me.

IF White actually suits up and plays defense for this team - I'm seriously going to change my feelings towards Tortorella. Mess around in practice as an extra - fine- (which is probably all it is) but you cant have a half injured, 35 year old midget forward convert into a defenseman overnight and expect good results. It was one thing sending Kennedy down, this is something ridiculous all its own. This can't happen, im sorry. There are several other options. **** if they were that hard pressed for defenseman they should've signed McIlrath and put him back there instead.

This is BS.
Honestly, even putting Brian Boyle on defense (he played defense in college and part of his early pro career) makes more sense than trying White there.

That being said, I refuse to believe that Spector is correct and that this is a possibility.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:10 AM
mullichicken25

i have a quick quasi-related question

how many guys are we allowed to have on the bench? can we dress a 7th dman? without sacraficing a forward.

i know i could look it up but i dont feel like it and i dont really have the time at this second

Old
10-14-2010, 09:43 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i have a quick quasi-related question

how many guys are we allowed to have on the bench? can we dress a 7th dman? without sacraficing a forward.

i know i could look it up but i dont feel like it and i dont really have the time at this second
No you cannot. You even brought this up as criticism of Tortorella

You can have 18 skaters plus 2 goalies.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:47 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
No you cannot. You even brought this up as criticism of Tortorella

You can have 18 skaters plus 2 goalies.
ok thanks

if you corrected it in the other thread i didnt notice, my bad

Old
10-14-2010, 01:53 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Honestly, even putting Brian Boyle on defense (he played defense in college and part of his early pro career) makes more sense than trying White there.

That being said, I refuse to believe that Spector is correct and that this is a possibility.
yup, as we suspected: (from Spector's blog today)

WHITE ALL OVER: For the second straight day, Todd White spent time skating as a defenseman, which he said was fun, but not a sign of a position switch. With seven defensemen on the roster, someone had to be the eighth for the drills at the end of practice.

Were doing some scrimmaging, trying to do some 4-on-4 scrimmaging and 5-on-5, and hes offered himself to do that, Tortorella said. Hes a great guy. We knew he was, and he understands where he is with this team right now, and has never complained once. Hes just going to wait for his chance, and Im sure hes going to seize that, when he does get that opportunity.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...th-ranger.html

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote