HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Artem Anisimov

Old
10-14-2010, 08:44 AM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
People keep saying this, but where's the evidence? Yeah, he got hit hard the other night because he was trying to make a play and left himself exposed, and he's taken some good hits in the past when his head was down, including a dirty hit to the head last year. But in 3 years of professional play, he's played in all but 6 games, and he missed those games in his rookie AHL season because he was playing in the WJC. He has yet to miss a game due to injury that I am aware of.

So can we please stop with the "he's going to have a short, injury prone career if he doesn't keep his head up" talk?
agreed..some dudes can just take it

see prucha, petr

that guy got ROCKED at least once a game cause he had his head down...i dont feel like looking up the stats, but i dont remember him being hurt very often

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I think in his case they tried him on the top line last season (arguably very diff as a rookie and no Frolov on the other side but still) and he seemed way more comfy with a few bigger guys protecting him and with fewer minutes/less pressure. They're still brining him along slowly which is fine. He can thrive (hopefully) on the 2nd line for a while and gain some confidence before he tries the top. Altho if Drury fails we may see that at some point. That 2nd line may cool at somepoint as well and then torts will start to tinker again. We'll see it at some point this season probably. Maybe just to see how he reacts to it now.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I think in his case they tried him on the top line last season (arguably very diff as a rookie and no Frolov on the other side but still) and he seemed way more comfy with a few bigger guys protecting him and with fewer minutes/less pressure. They're still brining him along slowly which is fine. He can thrive (hopefully) on the 2nd line for a while and gain some confidence before he tries the top. Altho if Drury fails we may see that at some point. That 2nd line may cool at somepoint as well and then torts will start to tinker again. We'll see it at some point this season probably. Maybe just to see how he reacts to it now.
Agree with all of this.

And just a side note, although Stepan is surely making a run for his money....Ani is my favorite Ranger right now.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:53 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Agree with all of this.

And just a side note, although Stepan is surely making a run for his money....Ani is my favorite Ranger right now.
It's hard not to like him.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 12:33 PM
rangerssharks414

I agree with not breaking up the Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan line. That has been the best line by far.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
He has started the season brilliantly, the 2nd line looks to be gelling nicely so i would leave him there.

I hope the 2nd line keep up their strong play because the 1st line will get rolling eventually.
Leave him where he is...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

If Drury doesn't end up working there (which he honestly might if he can somehow regain his form from a couple years ago), I'd try Stepan up top first. It'd be a big thing to throw on him but I think he fits better on that line stylistically and it worked pretty well in the preseason. Anisimov has been great on our second like with Dubi and Cally, no need to tinker with what's been our most productive line.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
If Drury doesn't end up working there (which he honestly might if he can somehow regain his form from a couple years ago), I'd try Stepan up top first. It'd be a big thing to throw on him but I think he fits better on that line stylistically and it worked pretty well in the preseason. Anisimov has been great on our second like with Dubi and Cally, no need to tinker with what's been our most productive line.
Right now Stepan looks good where he is...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:29 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
People keep saying this, but where's the evidence? Yeah, he got hit hard the other night because he was trying to make a play and left himself exposed, and he's taken some good hits in the past when his head was down, including a dirty hit to the head last year. But in 3 years of professional play, he's played in all but 6 games, and he missed those games in his rookie AHL season because he was playing in the WJC. He has yet to miss a game due to injury that I am aware of.

So can we please stop with the "he's going to have a short, injury prone career if he doesn't keep his head up" talk?
Amen!

I am so tired of this theme. He got caught a couple times in the first half of his rookie season with his head down. Lesson learned. Then he got rocked by AN ILLEGAL BLINDSIDE HIT for which the hitter was suspended. Now every time he takes a hit, the same posters go on and on about him keeping his head up. His head's up. He knows its coming. It's called taking a hit to make a play. If he were to try to avoid hits, the same exact people whining about him not keeping his head up would be the first ones calling him a soft Euro for avoiding contact. The kid will never win with some people.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:53 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He has made improvements in every area it seems like, but the one thing I'd like to see more from him this season is confidence with the puck. In fact, it almost seems like he has less of it in these first two games and in the preseason than last season. He has very nice hands. If the situation calls for it, he should be confident enough to try and beat a guy one on one instead of settling for a relatively benign wrist shot, which he has done several times. I want to see him force the defender to stop him. He clearly has the ability to pull things like that off, I'd like to see him utilize it more often. Even if it doesn't work out a few times, the only way to get better at it is to try it in a game situation.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:17 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
If the second line's play begins to slow down and not do as well, absolutely.

IMO Anisimov looks like a new player this season (starting during pre-seaason). Don't get me wrong, last year he had a decent year for a rookie, and occasionally showed us his ability to protect the puck and create chances.

Watching him on the ice this year, it really shows you how much his game has developed at the NHL level. He looks quicke rand more aggressive, it finally looks like he's comfortable. He's been protecting the puck well and using his body to create scoring chances around the net.

Best of all, he's starting to skate with his head up, which is great. Overall, it seems he's more comfortable now and playing the game he was known to play in Hartford.

Sorry if I sound ridiculous for saying that it looks like he's improved after only two regular season games, but if he can keep this level of play up, it's true.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:11 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Yes, let's break up the only consistent line so far so we can put your NHL 2011 lines to work. Or better yet, let's do it so we have something to complain about when it comes to the way JT manages his lines.

It seems to me Ani works much better with grind-it-out type guys like Dubinsky and Cally anyway. He reminds me of a much less talented Anze Kopitar, who has Dustin Brown and Wayne Simmonds as linemates right now and had Ryan Smyth and Jason Williams for the majority of last season.
Kopitar is still playing with Williams, but I've seen both Brown and Simmons on that line as well.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:13 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I'm very happy about Anisimov, and his skating has vastly improved. That was the first thing I noticed about him. He also looks a lot stronger, on and off the puck.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:21 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Anisimov is amazing. Anyone who thinks he tops at a 2c is mistaken, he absolutely has 1c potential. Anisimov is incredibly smart and the bigger he gets the more lethal he'll become. Out of anyone on the team, he has the highest skill level hands down. If he perfects his consistency, those incredible Anisimov highlight videos will be day in and day out.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:32 PM
bscharf

sometimes its more about chemistry than sticking the most talented together.

Arty and the second line look great together..same with avery-step-fed..

give drury a shot, the guy was great in buffalo, hes hasnt centered a line with this much talent.

give him a shot and well talk after friday.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:35 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
I've noticed a big improvement in AA as well. He seems much stronger on his skates and more confident with the puck, as well as being fantastic in both ends of the ice.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:40 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Big fan of Anisimov. Have always loved his overall game, but feared that his footspeed would keep him back. This year, I don't know what it is (maybe he was hiding in the rink where Boyle was getting his skating lessons), but his skating has dramatically improved - to the point where we see him starting out behind the play, catching up through center ice and then being the first one into the zone. It's really quite astounding.

As for who to play with him, I'd leave him as-is for the moment. After all, the problem has been on the back end, not up front; the forward lines are scoring and the 2nd line has been the best of them. So ride 'em while they're hot.

That said, at some point I would like to see him with more of a play making winger on the right side. (I'll eschew the obvious comments about Zherdev. ) Maybe down the line Zuccarello fills that role as many of us envisioned over the summer...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
agreed..some dudes can just take it

see prucha, petr

that guy got ROCKED at least once a game cause he had his head down...i dont feel like looking up the stats, but i dont remember him being hurt very often
While I agree with the general sentiment (Anisimov was no worse at keeping his head down than your average NHL rookie), there is a difference between what Anisimov would sometimes do and what Prucha did.

Pru got rocked all the time because he dug for the puck in the corners and by the boards. Ani's problem was that he would keep his head down skating through the neutral zone -- but this is common with NHL rookies, especially coming from Europe. It's what killed Lindros' career (and Brett Lindros, too), and is much more dangerous.

But Anisimov is learning not to do that, just like lots of young NHL'ers, so I think it won't be a problem.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Myers' hit on Arty in Buffalo was basically a glow/stick to the face when he battled for the puck in the corner... aka a high and cheap hit.
He looks a bit more aware when he has the puck on his stick now after what I've seen so far.

I don't think he will be rocked as many times as last year. He'll be fine.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Blazephr

Gotta love this kid. And his commitment to better himself, even off the ice. I was very impressed to find out that he spent a good portion of his summer in New York to train and take English classes.

When he hit a little bit of a lull at the mid-point of last season, I was worried he might be sent down to Hartford. But I'm glad the coaching staff stuck with him,and let him work through it. The last 15 games or so, you could really see the growth in his game at this level. Now we're witnessing all of that hard-work and persistence pay-off in a big way. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...I can see Anisimov reaching "datsyuk-lite" status. Based on his work ethic, his 2-way game can only get better from this point on.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:51 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I wouldn't want to break up that second line he's on right now.
true and AA isn't one to forced fed...he'll get there soon

patience and being a NYR fan aren't synonymous

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Anisimov has been tearing it up so far this season the only time he has gotten rocked was when he was trying to make a play against Buffalo at the net... He has shown that he is a threat that needs to be accounted for when he is on the ice. Also he is really good at making space for himself to make a play. Him and Stepan have got the rangers set at center for a long time.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Nemchinov13

He reminds me of Antropov with his speed and reach. Except, Antropov is bigger. If Artem becomes an Antropov, I'd say we've made a good draft pick.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I wouldn't want to break up that second line he's on right now.
Yup, they are doing well. It's the first time we have a young, competent second line in about 20 years. Previously, we'd get youth, but that youth would play on the bottom-6.

The exciting part of it was that they were young, not that they were good.

This time around, we have 3 guys who are 22-24 years old making up a second line that is actually playing well.

Let's keep them together and either Drury or Christ will keep the first line center spot warm for Step.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:53 AM
kovazub94

I hope fans notice Artem's defense as well.

If you have followed Artem on the ice you'd really notice how good he had been for us on defense. To this point - take a look at his play last night during fist period PK -he made exceptional good plays during two separate PKs there with his stick work in one and positioning on the other forcing take aways. I've always been a huge fan of his but I never wanted to go overboard. Here on HFB I've seen a couple of times that Antropov is mentioned as someone AA could develop into. While I can acknowledge the comparision based on size, skating and hands - I think if we were to look more from his hockey smarts and defensive play perspective - I wholeheartedly believe we a looking a a bigger version of Datsuk developing here. The only Artem's shortcomings so far - I don't think he's going to develop in as good of fighter as Datsuk

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote