HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Wisniewski face disiplinary action? (Suspended 2 games)

Old
10-13-2010, 06:36 AM
egelband

vCash: 500
thinking it over, i kind of don't have a problem with someone getting punished for something like that. originally i was totally against it. but we see it all over sport now. the leagues are trying to make the games more family friendly and better regulated. it's not a bad idea in principle. but i would like the nhl and other leagues to make the rules clearer and improve officiating overall. there are a lot of problems with the nhl and sport in general. and i am ok with the leagues making efforts to clean-up their 'messes'. but they need to do it better. and for what it's worth, how can a league allow fighting but not 'mean' gestures? that is retarded. and i like the occasional fight in the proper spirit. (not the let's-change-the-momentum fights, but a real man-up one is ok).

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:40 AM
egelband

i was rambling there...but my point is that i don't mind the league cleaning itself up a bit, so to speak. but it should be clear what can and cannot be done and enforced fairly.
i bet you could get player reps and management reps to meet and articulate a standard with full buy-in. but this seems a bit out-of-left-field.
i would even think hat just replaying that move, the guy on the islanders would have been pretty embarrassed and learned a lesson. if i did that, i'd feel like a total schmuck and not do it again...

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 08:07 AM
truebluegoalie

LMAO the NHL is such a joke when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Wisniewski gets two games for this and Hjalmarsson gets the same amount of games for a major hit from behind on Pominville that could have ended his career.

This league has no credibility. Colin Campbell has to go.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Wisniewski gets two games for this and Hjalmarsson gets the same amount of games for a major hit from behind on Pominville that could have ended his career.

Yeah, Pominville got hurt, but, the hit was not as bad as some are making it out to be.

Unfortunate timing and no one wants to see a player get hurt but it was hardly even a hit from behind.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 08:24 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Comparing Hammer's hit and Wiz's gesture is irrelevant, apple and orange. What bugs me is that in the eyes of the NHL, threatening to kill someone (the "you're ****ing dead" of Boynton) with a throat slash is less reprehensible than simulating oral sex...

But I'm fine with the NHL taking measures against those kinds of antics, there's no room for that in any sport.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 08:36 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Yeah, Pominville got hurt, but, the hit was not as bad as some are making it out to be.

Unfortunate timing and no one wants to see a player get hurt but it was hardly even a hit from behind.
I agree the hit wasn't that bad, but what does it say about the league when they apply the same suspension to a hit that injures someone as an obscene gesture that might have offended some feelings.

For the entire second half of the 2008-2009 season Avery's six game suspension for some off color comments was the longest in the NHL. Through all last season there were only two suspensions longer than Avery's. Slashes to the face, boardings, cheapshots, all less games then what Avery got for talking. What does that tell you about this league? I could go on and on but in the end the inconsistency in suspensions has always been an issue that needs to be addressed.

Old
10-13-2010, 08:39 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Comparing Hammer's hit and Wiz's gesture is irrelevant, apple and orange. What bugs me is that in the eyes of the NHL, threatening to kill someone (the "you're ****ing dead" of Boynton) with a throat slash is less reprehensible than simulating oral sex...

But I'm fine with the NHL taking measures against those kinds of antics, there's no room for that in any sport.
I don't think it is apples and oranges, I understand they aren't the same acts, but between that and your example with Boynton it shows the inconsistencies in the league's discipline that has been evident for years now, essentially saying, an obscene gesture is equal to hitting from behind.

Old
10-13-2010, 09:30 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
I don't think it is apples and oranges, I understand they aren't the same acts, but between that and your example with Boynton it shows the inconsistencies in the league's discipline that has been evident for years now, essentially saying, an obscene gesture is equal to hitting from behind.
You're going too fast to the conclusion, obscene gesture = hitting from behind. You have to take the incidents separately, that's not Boynton vs Wiz vs Hjalamarson. Hjalmarsson's hit as nothing to do with the other two, they're hardly comparable since that's not the same rule(s) that apply.

It's hard to find an analogy between a player hit from behind (Boarding/Charging/Check from behind rule etc) and an unsportsmanlike gesture/trash talking incident happening after a whistle. Apples and oranges IMO. That's not relevant to compare the Hjalmarsson incident and Wizs' since the NHL doesn't approach boths incidents under the same angle.

But maybe the NHL is not showing enough balls in the Hammer/Pommers incident, and Soupy should have suspended the Swede for more games. I don't know, that's another story. This kind of freaky incidents can potentially happen in each regular season game, that was just a bad timing from boths players. Wrong place at the wrong time from Pominville and awkward hit by Hjalmarsson.

Last edited by King of cool: 10-13-2010 at 09:39 AM.
King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Scooter17

Quote:

I feel like the hit was just as much Pominville's fault as it was Hjalmarsson's. Pominville has to be aware in that situation that someone is coming, but at the same time Hjalmarsson should have probably let off a little bit knowing that Pominville was in a vulnerable position.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:26 AM
clmetsfan

The hit and the gesture is an apples and oranges situation (though I hate that phrase -- apples and oranges are very similar). A pitcher who throws at a guy in a baseball game can cause serious injury and usually gets 5-6 games. A guy busted for steroids gets 50. That doesn't mean that steroids are ten times as bad as potentially hurting a guy. Penalties are there to provide incentive NOT to do it again, that's all it comes to.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:50 AM
ZacUSNYR

People got all ruffed up over Ovechkin acting like his stick was on fire.

What I think is funny is people are finding a way to blame Avery for this.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:07 AM
HAPPY HOUR

You can do 10 years for manslaughter and you can do 10 years for tax evasion.

Either way you're wearing orange and using a toilet paper roll as a pillow.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Good job for a change with the NHL on this one. Suspended the guy and kept it relatively under the radar. Why bring more attention to an ugly incident?

Thats what pissed me off most about the Avery "sloppy seconds" thing. Not only is it excessive to suspend a player for 6 games because of words, but Bettman came out championing the decision like he was the friggin morality police.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:36 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Good job for a change with the NHL on this one. Suspended the guy and kept it relatively under the radar. Why bring more attention to an ugly incident?

Thats what pissed me off most about the Avery "sloppy seconds" thing. Not only is it excessive to suspend a player for 6 games because of words, but Bettman came out championing the decision like he was the friggin morality police.
That was my biggest issue with the Avery suspension... the length.

His 6 game suspension was the longest of the 2008-09 season. It was 4 games longer than when repeat offender Ruutu bit Andrew Peters. It was 5 games longer than Carcillo's suspension for hitting Talbot over the head with his stick, his second suspension of the season. And it was 1 game longer than Brashear's blind-side hit to Betts.

2 games for Wiz is appropriate, Isles fans should be glad it isn't longer, especially with his long history of suspensions.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Isn't this the ref (doing nothing here) that one called the tripping ref on Cally?

Conspiracy I say.

http://www.usdailysports.com/videos/...-_Slo_mo_.html

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Isn't this the ref (doing nothing here) that one called the tripping ref on Cally?

Conspiracy I say.

http://www.usdailysports.com/videos/...-_Slo_mo_.html
LOL.

"The Wiz conspiracy"

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

I'm pretty sure you're a long time NHL fan, so you should know how the NHL feels about hearing its name in the same sentence as 'wrestling'.

Avery's trash talk wasn't about the game on the ice, he made it personal, like some horribly scripted wrestling sideshow. It sets precedent. If the league didn't come down hard, whats next? They nipped it in the bud before it got out of hand like they have always done.

I'm glad they sent a message there, we have not seen that kinda garbage since then have we? What Wiz did the other day was selfish and stupid, but on the ice, and it was taken care of immediately with little or no fan fare.

As far as the Hjalmarsson hit, concussions are happening too frequently, and on seemingly harmless plays. Someones gonna die out there before they finally get it.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:49 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
It is Wisniewski's first suspension in his six-year career. Avery, on the other hand, has been suspended numerous times and is a consistent target for league punishment, including two years ago when he ordered to attend anger management classes.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...#ixzz12G4zIOcc

Still Avery's fault I guess. Nice to see a New York writer getting his facts wrong on 2 New York athletes. Avery has 1 suspension in his career, this is Wis's 4th.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Senorchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barnaby - Twitter
Talked to wisniewski. he Is sorry to all the parents and kids!he lost it with what avery was saying about his family! Really bad stuff
Source: Twitter.com/MattBarnabyESPN

Barnaby thinks (knows?) that Avery said something about Wiz's family, which caused Wiz to get riled up. I wonder if agitators in the past have drawn a line, and Avery is the first player to (regularly) cross it... it would explain why he's so effective at his job.

Hope for Barnaby's sake that this isn't just speculation, or it could end up like a neutered version of the Blake/cancer debacle last year.

Senorchris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:04 PM
DutchShamrock

Avery must be one fast talker. He had about 2 seconds to spit out the insults between snowing DP and Wiz making his gesture.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:12 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

So his reaction to him saying stuff about his family is to gesture that he sucks **** instead of just saying stuff back?

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:09 AM
2LeftSkates

Isles fan here, I come in peace.
Just wanted to give a slightly different view of Colin Campbell. If Wiz were not an Islander, he would have only gotten one game. There are teams AND individuals who get treated differently than the rest. I agree that a role reversal here would have meant a longer suspension for Avery, which is not fair either.
You have to wonder what punishment there would be if Crosby or Ovechkin had done this. Campbell is a jack@$$, pure and simple. His job should be done by a committee to make things more fair.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftSkates View Post
Isles fan here, I come in peace.
Just wanted to give a slightly different view of Colin Campbell. If Wiz were not an Islander, he would have only gotten one game. There are teams AND individuals who get treated differently than the rest. I agree that a role reversal here would have meant a longer suspension for Avery, which is not fair either.
You have to wonder what punishment there would be if Crosby or Ovechkin had done this. Campbell is a jack@$$, pure and simple. His job should be done by a committee to make things more fair.
Everyone thinks there is a conspiracy against their team. There isn't. The league will crack down on certain players with a bad reputation, but they don't deliberately pick on certain teams. Wisniewski got what he deserved.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
Everyone thinks there is a conspiracy against their team. There isn't. The league will crack down on certain players with a bad reputation, but they don't deliberately pick on certain teams. Wisniewski got what he deserved.
Honestly, the only reason i think Wish even got suspended is because he did this to avery.....had it been done to any other player it probably would have been ignored.

The NHL and especially Cambell, knows the way New York works and how blown up this was getting and that they needed to take a stand.

Good move by the NHL for once....now sit the 2 games and move on.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Honestly, the only reason i think Wish even got suspended is because he did this to avery.....had it been done to any other player it probably would have been ignored.

The NHL and especially Cambell, knows the way New York works and how blown up this was getting and that they needed to take a stand.

Good move by the NHL for once....now sit the 2 games and move on.
You're probably right that the suspension was the result of the fact that the incident occurred in NY and involved Avery. The media loves to talk about Avery. If the incident occurred between a couple 3rd/4th liners in Nashville, it probably would have gone unnoticed.