HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2010-2011

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2010, 09:02 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
looks to me that bgordon took that spot and did well with it during the islanders game. i'm liking hendricks on the pk.
Yeah it didnt help hendy's cause by picking up a minus early in the game. Its certainly an adjustment to move to center. Defensive responsibilities are much increased and they have to be in position to cover our step ups, lots more positional play and skating.

Bruce does have a short leash with moves he tries. I would like him to give his own ideas a game before he throws in the towel. Assuming the move isnt instantly exposed and worked repeatedly.

Hendricks gets 5 minutes at center for arguments sake lets say all year, ignoring all he did for Bruce in the past, just seems short sighted. These things take time.

Old
10-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Stewie G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
looks to me that bgordon took that spot and did well with it during the islanders game. i'm liking hendricks on the pk.
It looked like Hendricks was with Chimera and Fehr at the beginning on the game but I saw Gordo with them later on. I thought both guys played well, especially Hendricks. I'm not sure what the reason for the change was since it didn't look like Hendricks was really having any trouble on that line.

Old
10-14-2010, 09:14 AM
hoopla

if by playing well you mean a minus 1 with one shot on goal, then yeah, he had a heck of a game. you know who else had a "great" game last night? - Fehr. Eric with zero shots on goal! He is a good forward, but he's got to put some shots one the net. Not sure if Hendrix playing with him on the same line had anything to do with it.

Old
10-14-2010, 09:23 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

OMG!?! Someone didn't have a shot on goal!!?!

OHNOZs!!

Old
10-14-2010, 09:32 AM
hoopla

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
OMG!?! Someone didn't have a shot on goal!!?!

OHNOZs!!

well you do know you have to shoot the puck to score points, right?! One of the main reasons caps will be riding ovi is the amount of shots he takes hence creating offensive chances for him and his linemates.. But maybe, you have a point, as a bottom six forward, Hendrix and Fehr dont really need to shoot the puck, just skate around and hit somebody.

Last edited by hoopla: 10-14-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old
10-14-2010, 09:35 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I like how Fehr is playing. He didn't get any shots last night...but he was playing physical and getting to the front of the net when his line would get the puck in deep. He's becoming a guy that team are going to have trouble matching up with due to his size.

He just needs more minutes. 13 last night. Id like to see him in the 15 to 18 range...but hard to find then with this team.

Old
10-14-2010, 09:42 AM
hoopla

I am with you on this one. I really have no expectations of Hendrix, as you can probably tell by my earlier rants. But Fehr, I like him a lot and I think he could be a great asset to this team as a point producer. I agree with you about his ice time.

Old
10-14-2010, 09:53 AM
sk84fun_dc

We all have players we like and dislike and agendas as to how we'd like to see the team roster look.

USCHO17, your knocks on Matt Hendricks come across to me as an agenda related to the start of the season roster decisions.

I know I'm not thrilled with Bradley and Steckel's contracts and as a result when I notice their roles diminishing/changing, I take note.

With Hendricks, last night he was fine, but nothing special from my perspective, but I'd say most of the team was nothing special given the overall team performance; he did his job on the PK, annoyed Roloson, etc. As to playing center or wing, BGordon bumped up to the third line as people have noted.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:10 AM
hoopla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
We all have players we like and dislike and agendas as to how we'd like to see the team roster look.

USCHO17, your knocks on Matt Hendricks come across to me as an agenda related to the start of the season roster decisions.

I know I'm not thrilled with Bradley and Steckel's contracts and as a result when I notice their roles diminishing/changing, I take note.

With Hendricks, last night he was fine, but nothing special from my perspective, but I'd say most of the team was nothing special given the overall team performance; he did his job on the PK, annoyed Roloson, etc. As to playing center or wing, BGordon bumped up to the third line as people have noted.
Can't those same things you just described be done by AGordon or Beagle? The answer is yes they can. As the season progresses, you'll see exactly what you've said - nothing special. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:14 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscho17 View Post
Can't those same things you just described be done by AGordon or Beagle? The answer is yes they can. As the season progresses, you'll see exactly what you've said - nothing special. Hope I'm proven wrong.
AGordon and Hendricks are not in the same mold. AGordon can mix it up at times, but he's not the sandpaper Hendricks is.

Beagle has a little bit in him...but again, not on the same level.

The Caps wanted to add sandpaper. That's Hendricks. That's King. The others that were sent down just don't bring that in their game right now.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:17 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Fehr has really impressed me this season. He looks quick and really confident in the offensive zone. I've always felt he has 30-30 upside, and I think he's got a good shot at it this year.

WRT to icetime, Bruce is really trying. Fehr's PPTOI/G has more than doubled from 1:26 last season to 3:13 this season. We're only a few games in, but I still think that says a lot.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:18 AM
hoopla

The Caps wanted to add sandpaper. That's Hendricks. That's King. The others that were sent down just don't bring that in their game right now.

I respectfully disagree. Hershey has a few players that could fill the spot, skate around, hit and annoy people, pretty much do nothing special as described by sk8. Beagle and Gordon come up more often as they were cut last. But there others that come to mind. If anything, I think GMGM and BB sent the wrong message to those hershey players that are on the bubble. I understand that it's difficult to find a perfect balance between winning playoffs and letting younger kids play.

Last edited by hoopla: 10-14-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old
10-14-2010, 10:19 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
I said something because I'm also a fan of AGordon's and Beagle's. And no I don't think AGordon and Hendricks play the same role, Beagle is more comparable. I understand some of the reasons Hendricks was signed as a depth player, but I'm disappointed for the two players you mentioned. I have issues with how this management makes some of their contract and roster management decisions, but pointing out Hendricks -1 (and not the goal resulting in the -1) from last night and in isolation rather than the 4 games as a whole is a bit much. I watched plenty of Hershey games the season Hendricks was with Hershey and Providence games the year after and some of the games last year while he was with Colorado.

OT: Just saw the newer posts, Andrew Gordon is willing to hit, stand in front of the net, and play in the corners, but he's not going to jump into a PK role or fight the way Hendricks has and I just don't see them as comparable players.

Pinizzotto's game play/decision-making needs refinement if his game is ever going to translate to the NHL level. From my perspective, signing Hendricks was a better decision than promoting Pinizzotto at this time. (also, while Pinizzotto was sent down earlier, he actually was not placed on waivers until the last round before the opening rosters were due.)

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 10-14-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old
10-14-2010, 10:31 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. Hershey has a few players that could fill the spot, skate around, hit and annoy people, pretty much do nothing special as described by sk8. Beagle and Gordon come up more often as they were cut last. But there others that come to mind. If anything, I think GMGM and BB sent the wrong message to those hershey players that are on the bubble.
The wrong message?

That a 7th round pick and a undrafted free agent are not good enough to make the team yet? Oh dang.

I mean, yeah, I wanted AGordon on the team as well...but he doesn't work the PK much with the Bears and he's not going to go jump in the face of Dwayne Roloson and cause a ruckus in front of the net...or as Hendricks put it after the game.

Pinner is another...but I'd take Hendricks 100 out of 100 times.

Quote:
"Just playing my game, going to the net, trying to stir up some extracurriculars,"
Beagle would be the only one you'd have an argument on in this...but I don't see how he's any better than Hendricks. Younger? Sure. But he wasn't any better than Hendricks in the preseason and just lost the battle. It happens and he's still around if needed.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:37 AM
hoopla

to sk8: Well, last night's Islanders goal was a result of Hendrix being a second late on the play against the boards where the pass came from and Carlson being a second late to cover the shooter. But whatever. To completelly annoy you let me say this - I think that Hendrix' highlight of the season came in his pre-season where he had a hat trick and a fight. Once again, I hope I am proven wrong.

to strung: I dont mind depth at a cheap price. Just feel bitter about our own kids u know what I mean.

Last edited by hoopla: 10-14-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old
10-14-2010, 10:49 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
if by playing well you mean a minus 1 with one shot on goal, then yeah, he had a heck of a game. you know who else had a "great" game last night? - Fehr. Eric with zero shots on goal! He is a good forward, but he's got to put some shots one the net. Not sure if Hendrix playing with him on the same line had anything to do with it.
As long as Eric Fehr is on a line with Chimera and a center who can't draw defenders and dish the puck for a quick shot, Fehr's numbers and effectiveness on the scoreboard will be limited.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:51 AM
hoopla

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
As long as Eric Fehr is on a line with Chimera and a center who can't draw defenders and dish the puck for a quick shot, Fehr's numbers and effectiveness on the scoreboard will be limited.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:53 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I think Hendricks was acquired for 4LW (maybe 4C) depth. King is injury prone and a scratch most nights. We were thin there as an organization. Beagle is a candidate, but creating competition for a 4LW spot isnt a deal breaker when it comes to prospect management.

If we acquired someone in the mold of A Gordon, then I would be a bit more miffed. As it is, we are stocked at scoring RW and Gordon is an extra no matter what, there was no opening for competition.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:54 AM
sk84fun_dc

It's amusing because you are discussing this with the two people who I think are two of AGordon's and Beagle's biggest champions on these boards.

Beagle had a strong preseason and IMO his waiver status made the decision to bring in someone like Hendricks to add more depth on a one year low cap hit contract easier.

I think people are wrong if they think Hendricks was signed to the contract because of one preseason hat trick. As to the goal last night, I wasn't saying Hendricks wasn't involved, more that it was a team effort and a rookie dman error, but I'll also admit that's based on not having watched a replay just what I saw watching the game.

Old
10-14-2010, 11:21 AM
hoopla

I hear ya.

Old
10-14-2010, 11:25 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
It's amusing because you are discussing this with the two people who I think are two of AGordon's and Beagle's biggest champions on these boards.
yeah I found it funny that he was having the conversation with a lot of us who have shown support and belief in those two for a longer time than most.

Old
10-14-2010, 11:36 AM
sk84fun_dc

Sabourin to waivers is a positive sign regarding Varlamov's health status.

Old
10-14-2010, 11:45 AM
LetsGoBears

The difference to me between AGordon and Hendricks is that Hendricks play with a bit of malice, hence the sandpaper factor. AGordon plays the game "smarter" hence more of an offensive style.

Old
10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
hoopla

I have a question, just clarify something, Hendrix was offered a two-way contract with the Avs, rejected it, went to DC, was essentially offered the same type of contract and took it, is that right? or he got a one way with caps?

Old
10-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

2-way in DC as well.
He rejected the 2-way in Denver so he could try and get a 1-way somewhere else. That never really happened, so he accepted the Caps' tryout offer.

Closed Thread