HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cam Fowler Discussion: (What's Best? Rookie Wall? Now What?)

Old
10-11-2010, 02:09 AM
Degenerate191

vCash: 500
And at least we have something to brag about. Sure, everyone else blows, but Fowler's a stud! I can't fathom sending him down if he keeps up the level of play he's shown so far.

Degenerate191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:37 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Okay let's just clear this up. Fowler is not going down. The only way he will is if Murray gets greedy and wants to extend his contract. He will not be sent down for developmental reasons. He's playing against some of the top players in the nhl on one of the worst defenses in the league. And he is one of the best players on this blueline. He has a minus two on a team that has been scored on 16 times in four games. Not to mention he is second in time on ice on this team.

He's also 13th in total ice time in the league, and 8th in total shifts. Plus he leads all 2010 draftees in points and ice time.

He gets better every game, any mistakes he does make, he doesn't make twice.

We won the lottery with this kid. He's played very well against some of the top players in the league, and has impressed the hell out of carlyle. Have we ever heard Randy compliment a player so much. We have. With one player. Scott niedermayer.

I won't say he's the next Niedermayer, but I won't say he's not either. Their games are so similar, it isn't out of the question. The thing that made Scotty a legend was his calm and poise. Qualities Fowler possesses. At the same age Niedermayer's game was identical to Fowler's. The only difference is Scotty had Stevens. Fowler has Mara. But with the right development, fowler has the potential to be the next Doughty. At his worst he'll be a Kaberle but better.

I say he stays.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:48 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks6607 View Post
Okay let's just clear this up. Fowler is not going down. The only way he will is if Murray gets greedy and wants to extend his contract. He will not be sent down for developmental reasons. He's playing against some of the top players in the nhl on one of the worst defenses in the league. And he is one of the best players on this blueline. He has a minus two on a team that has been scored on 16 times in four games. Not to mention he is second in time on ice on this team.

He's also 13th in total ice time in the league, and 8th in total shifts. Plus he leads all 2010 draftees in points and ice time.

He gets better every game, any mistakes he does make, he doesn't make twice.

We won the lottery with this kid. He's played very well against some of the top players in the league, and has impressed the hell out of carlyle. Have we ever heard Randy compliment a player so much. We have. With one player. Scott niedermayer.

I won't say he's the next Niedermayer, but I won't say he's not either. Their games are so similar, it isn't out of the question. The thing that made Scotty a legend was his calm and poise. Qualities Fowler possesses. At the same age Niedermayer's game was identical to Fowler's. The only difference is Scotty had Stevens. Fowler has Mara. But with the right development, fowler has the potential to be the next Doughty. At his worst he'll be a Kaberle but better.

I say he stays.
i think thats extremely optimistic but i woudl hope that at worst hes a kaberle haha, so far it seems like hes making people regret passing him up..

theres no doubt hes been amazing so far though.. i think hes been better than nieds so far but i guess we couldnt really compare because nieds spent a year in juniors first

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Are we putting to much on Fowlers shoulders?

It seems to me that were giving a crap ton of minutes to Fowler. Right now he is receiving around 22 minutes a game, which is second to most next to Visnovsky who took 29 last game. Out of the six players drafted and playing this year, he is taking on the most minutes and isn't getting a chance to adjust to this level. And in my opinion, I think we are over working Fowler. He still needs time to learn and find himself at the NHL level. While having no time to learn in the AHL or any other of our affiliated programs, and being thrown out on the ice with a "go get em kid, here's 22 minutes" and you better learn quickly! just isn't going to cut it.

I personally think this is gonna stunt his growth as a player and may even draw him back of his true potential. Am I the only one who is noticing the minutes this kid is taking?

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:32 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

If he looked uncomfortable during those 22 minutes, or even the "extra" minutes that we are giving him, I would be opposed. However, he has proven (at least for now) that he can handle the 22 minutes he's been given a night.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:35 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

He's playing very well atm and is handling it well, so don't see anything wrong, he's deserved the extra minutes and is playing well.

I dare say with Lydman in the line up now he'll probably have his minutes cut down a little bit

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:42 PM
wesott11

Once our defense settles in and everyone is healthy his time will go down. That is, if our defense is EVER healthy.

wesott11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Emerald Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
It seems to me that were giving a crap ton of minutes to Fowler. Right now he is receiving around 22 minutes a game, which is second to most next to Visnovsky who took 29 last game. Out of the six players drafted and playing this year, he is taking on the most minutes and isn't getting a chance to adjust to this level. And in my opinion, I think we are over working Fowler. He still needs time to learn and find himself at the NHL level. While having no time to learn in the AHL or any other of our affiliated programs, and being thrown out on the ice with a "go get em kid, here's 22 minutes" and you better learn quickly! just isn't going to cut it.

I personally think this is gonna stunt his growth as a player and may even draw him back of his true potential. Am I the only one who is noticing the minutes this kid is taking?
I'm not sure you can conclude that playing more minutes and performing well will result in stunted growth.

Fowler's growth would be stunted back in Windsor. He might get some extra work in the weight room and benefit from another year of physical growth, but he does not have anything else to learn in the CHL. If anything, Fowler's growth would be slowed if he was assigned to 3rd line minutes (12 mins a game) when he was capable of more.

If he was making a ton of mistakes and struggling, then I would agree. Otherwise Carlyle and the Ducks want to see what Fowler is capable of, including 2nd unit PK time, and so far he hasn't disappointed. I'm sure he will face struggles at some point this season, and there will be lessons learned from those events as well.

However, I don't have any problems with Fowler's play or Carlyle's handling of his ice time so far.

Emerald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 06:28 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

He leads all rookies in TOI now ahead of guys like Subban, OEL and Carlson
http://www.nhl.com/ice/rookies.htm?f...ewName=summary

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

He's earned every minute he has played and has been our best defenseman all season IMO.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:55 PM
bumperkisser

maybe he'll be this years calder trophy winner.. i can dream right

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:14 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

15 years of him against my Sharks...dammit. He's soooooo good.

10-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Eternal Sunshine

1st goal of his career, almost scored his 2nd right after followed by a very smooth and sexy rush almost resulting in a goal for the Ducks tonight (although Fowler ended up a little hurt at the end of it). I haven't seen much of him yet at the NHL level (saw Memorial Cup tournies and snippets of him in the O), but he looks great for a guy who just got drafted in June.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
No way you send him down after tonight's game. Defense looked like a joke without him.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 01:10 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
He leads all rookies in TOI now ahead of guys like Subban, OEL and Carlson
http://www.nhl.com/ice/rookies.htm?f...ewName=summary
This.

We are idiots to think he would be better in the juniors against kids.

He has earned those minutes and IMO keep him getting those minutes until he does not play like a 2nd pairing guy. then give him some time on the 3rd to get his feet under him again.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 01:12 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanatic19 View Post
1st goal of his career, almost scored his 2nd right after followed by a very smooth and sexy rush almost resulting in a goal for the Ducks tonight (although Fowler ended up a little hurt at the end of it). I haven't seen much of him yet at the NHL level (saw Memorial Cup tournies and snippets of him in the O), but he looks great for a guy who just got drafted in June.
He looks great PERIOD..... but who wouldnt look great playing alongside some of the guys on this defense

Old
10-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Finnpin

It's this if they send him back to juniors:

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that Fowler could actually be sent to the AHL this year. Windsor still owns his rights, so he'll go back to the CHL if he is sent down. As far as I'm concerned, 22 minutes a night in the NHL and the time spent with the team will help his development much more than spending another year in juniors. Especially when he's shown that he's not in over his head.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:09 AM
SmackCrackleNPop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
maybe he'll be this years calder trophy winner.. i can dream right
At this rate.. he might be. I've been extremely impressed. Usually defenseman take longer to develop, he looks ready now. Imagine him in a few years when he gets stronger and gains some more experience.

SmackCrackleNPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:18 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

That end to end rush (of where he got injured) made me realize how awesome he will be for us and is for us now. He almost had 2 goals in a span of a minute last night. He missed that top corner by about an inch.

I will admit I was a supporter of him being sent down, but more and more I think he's got the confidence and the ability to play in this league. Especially with Mara being the defensive guy on that pairing. They've really been a solid pairing. Now when Sutton comes back, do Sutton and Lilja play on the 3rd pairing? If so, that ain't too bad of a 3rd pairing. Brookbank would definitely be the odd man out.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:33 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
And what will he learn in the CHL. He's learning new things and gets better every night. That end to end rush was a play that few nhl defensemen can pull off. Even fewer will get the shot off.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
No reason to send him back to juniors, the way he's playing clearly demonstrate that he can handle himself pretty well in the pros and learn much more things here.

I already love him, he's been an absolute stud so far.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:03 PM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks6607 View Post
And what will he learn in the CHL. He's learning new things and gets better every night. That end to end rush was a play that few nhl defensemen can pull off. Even fewer will get the shot off.
even fewer 18 year old dmen.

Old
10-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Hawktopus

I'm thinking Fowler is going to be our version of Drew Doughty. Murray and Carlyle haven't said anything negative about his game, his points are normal to above normal for his game, the last defining factor would be what his teammates say about him, which from all accounts is good.

He would only benefit from staying on the Ducks especially under the guidance of Sean Skahan and the coaching staff so they can help him get his strength and weight up. If he does get sent back down to Windsor I think he won't be challenged enough and won't have the right coaching to improve his game, he has accomplished something at every level so far the only thing left to do is accomplish something at the NHL level.

Hopefully he keeps improving as much as he has so far and after the 10th game he buys a nice house down the street from Sbisa and Ryan.

Hawktopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I'm very curious to see how he bounces back after that hit from Doan. Will it change his game? Is he going to be tentative at all, with a broken nose? This is one of my last questions regarding him.

He's shown us he can play in the NHL. He's proven that, while he might not be at the fitness level he could be, it's not holding him back either. Hell, he's shown us a lot already and we're not even 10 games into the season. Now we get to see what kind of heart this kid has. He's going to be playing injured. How does he handle it?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote