Notices

Game 4: Vancouver Canucks @ Ducks | 7:00 PM PDT |10/13/10

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2010, 04:56 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

vCash: 500
Also I'm just going to put it out there, lol @ all the sooking Nucks fans... come on guys.

Really?

Old
10-14-2010, 05:55 AM
Roland of Gilead
The Gunslinger

Nice victory to Ducks, but still I cant believe they actually won that game Huge amount of turnovers (especially in their own zone), very bad passing play and lazy skating. How the hell Ducks managed to win that game

Hiller was good, first line showed some sign of life in 3rd. And Canucks weren´t at their best. But still...

I hope that Ducks will get lots of self-confidence from this victory. They need that.

Last edited by Roland of Gilead: 10-14-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old
10-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Hey Ducks fans, friendly Canucks fan here.

I'm going into this game fully expecting the Ducks offense to explode. The likes of Ryan Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, and Teemu Selanne won't stay quiet for long.
Wow, impressive!

Old
10-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by defer View Post
-I was also one of the biggest sbisa supporters but he has looked eh. not super bad but not what i had hopped for. IMO send him down and let him get his speed back. He is bigger and stronger but he lost his speed when he bulked up. or am i the only one who thinks his is a step slower?
No, he's definitely a step slower than last year. He played much better tonight but it still might be best if he's sent down. I'd rather not lose Mikkelson to waivers just so Sbisa can stay up and play in a #6-7 role.

Old
10-14-2010, 08:22 AM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
You must be a Kings fan based on this post
Well I messed up an quoted myself and cant figure out how to delete it!

Old
10-14-2010, 08:50 AM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
It's not that he will crack under the pressure. I just feel he will develop better in juniors. I realize the kids in the CHL go through "grinds" but if you think it's close to an NHL season, you're delusional. It sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I just feel a season one more junior season would help his development more. It would allow him to train harder and get his body frame up to around 205 ish, which would be much better for his game then the 185 he is now. I agree that he's played well, although I thought tonight wasn't near as good as the past 2 games, but IMO not good enough to pass up what another year in juniors can do for him.
Weight is not everything. Look at Sbisa. He bulked up and looks slower now. I guess I also disagree with you. If he can play in the NHL, then let him stay.

Old
10-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Duck View Post
For Fowler, 18 mins in NHL >>>>>>> 30 mins+ in the CHL.
Whether or not he can keep it up for a full NHL season remains to be seen. If the Ducks decide to send him back to Windsor before the 40th game, then it will still be a well spent year on his 3 year ELC.

If Fowler can continue to compete in the NHL as an 18 year old, then he'll stay on the club. I don't think Fowler will ever be a physical dman, and he's shown an active stick and poke check so far. I think you're overvaluing the weight room for a player like Fowler, even at his young age. Some players see the ice so well and have enough hockey smarts to get out of the way of the forecheck and the physical goons in the NHL. I don't think the organization or Cam benefits by living in the weight room.

So far Fowler has shown that he is the rare exception as an 18 year old. It will be fun to watch him develop.
I have been saying all along that he should be at 18 minutes a game. However, he's averaging over 22 right now, and with the injuries and RC as coach, that number is going to go no where but up.

Also don't the Ducks have to decide after 9 games whether to send him back or not?

Old
10-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Weight is not everything. Look at Sbisa. He bulked up and looks slower now. I guess I also disagree with you. If he can play in the NHL, then let him stay.
Weight isn't everything, but strength helps tremendously. And it's not that he can't play in the NHL. A lot of prospects could play in the NHL right now, but management has to decide if they are playing well enough to give up a year of development in juniors. IMO, a lot of the reasoning for keeping him here seems to be because we'd be screwed with out him. I've seen 3 games this year and last night was the worst Folwer looked imo. He still looked better then most of our defense, but that's because Murray did a piss poor job on the unit. If he plays like he did last night, then IMO another year in juniors would be best for him. Yes it would blow for our team, but it would be better for Fowler long term and considering we have absolutely no chance of competing this year, I think that's priority.

Sbisa's decisions seem to be worse this year IMO, not his speed. It's almost like he's taking extra time to make decisions this year. He was much better last game though.

Old
10-14-2010, 11:57 AM
JtotheLew

Quote:
It's not that he will crack under the pressure. I just feel he will develop better in juniors. I realize the kids in the CHL go through "grinds" but if you think it's close to an NHL season, you're delusional. It sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I just feel a season one more junior season would help his development more. It would allow him to train harder and get his body frame up to around 205 ish, which would be much better for his game then the 185 he is now. I agree that he's played well, although I thought tonight wasn't near as good as the past 2 games, but IMO not good enough to pass up what another year in juniors can do for him.
I am really not trying to pull the Canadian elitist card, I really hate when people do that. But I am curious how much exposure you have to the CHL living in the USA?

I have not only watched/followed closely the WHL my entire life, but also know a lot of people (and a couple close friends) who played in the WHL or went the Jr A -> NCAA path.

Guys like Fowler dominate the CHL, I don't think he would improve that much in the CHL, the only thing he might do is put on a few more pounds of muscle which isn't going to change the fact that he isn't an extremely physical player so it really won't affect his game much. He has 2 points in 4 games in the NHL and to be honest moves the puck up better then any of our Dmen.

Usually I am opposed to rushing prospects but I think he has earned himself this spot, how would it be fair to him to send him down when he clearly wants to
play here and has earned it ?

Fowler will do fine, he will play 82 games this season and get 30 points or more, in the off season he will put on 10 or 15 pounds and in 2 years he will be one of the key factors in us winning our 2nd Stanley Cup ( I can dream ).

Old
10-14-2010, 12:48 PM
soulcal

went to the game last night, just a few notes:

-jan from the office singing the national anthem and someone screaming "marry michael!!" midway was hilarious

-horrid and lazy first period besides getzlaf's goal

-i think perry was asleep for the first two periods

-fowler made about 4-5 rookie mistakes but was good enough throughout the rest.. loved mara being physical

-teemu being classic teemu on his pp goal was awesome

-i wasn't impressed w/ sbisa except for one good shot and a sweet hipcheck

-big sexy showed good energy

all in all i think we were really lucky in this win cause our defense just wasn't doing the job (waay too much time in our zone).. we were just lucky enough to score on our breaks but i'll take the win.. hopefully lydman returning and the addition of lilja will spark up the d.

Old
10-14-2010, 12:50 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
Sbisa's decisions seem to be worse this year IMO, not his speed. It's almost like he's taking extra time to make decisions this year. He was much better last game though.
I guess we will have to disagree. The extra weight he has packed on makes him look a step slower IMO.

Old
10-14-2010, 12:55 PM
JtotheLew

Quote:
I guess we will have to disagree. The extra weight he has packed on makes him look a step slower IMO.
Inclined to agree, he doesn't look like the smooth skating defenseman that he did in the Olympics last year. But could just be me.

I still want him to stay up and play..I think he'll do good he just has to get comfortable, he's worrying too much about keeping his ice time and to play his game I think.

Old
10-14-2010, 12:55 PM
JtotheLew

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcal View Post
went to the game last night, just a few notes:

-jan from the office singing the national anthem and someone screaming "marry michael!!" midway was hilarious

-horrid and lazy first period besides getzlaf's goal

-i think perry was asleep for the first two periods

-fowler made about 4-5 rookie mistakes but was good enough throughout the rest.. loved mara being physical

-teemu being classic teemu on his pp goal was awesome

-i wasn't impressed w/ sbisa except for one good shot and a sweet hipcheck

-big sexy showed good energy

all in all i think we were really lucky in this win cause our defense just wasn't doing the job (waay too much time in our zone).. we were just lucky enough to score on our breaks but i'll take the win.. hopefully lydman returning and the addition of lilja will spark up the d.
Mara being physical was nice but he is just too slow and makes some dumb plays, he makes me so nervous when he's on the ice and it's in our end.

Old
10-14-2010, 01:19 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

One of the things that worried me about that game was the amount of turnovers we gave up in our own zone. Easy, simple plays that should have gotten the puck out were just either taken or given away just because the Ducks were looking for the pretty pass. What worries me the most is that I saw this from some of our best players, like Ryan, Getzlaf, and Koivu. We were lucky we got away with a win that game. Hopefully they'll get back to simple, safe hockey.

Old
10-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Emerald Duck

Quote:
I have been saying all along that he should be at 18 minutes a game. However, he's averaging over 22 right now, and with the injuries and RC as coach, that number is going to go no where but up.

Also don't the Ducks have to decide after 9 games whether to send him back or not?
If Fowler stays with the Ducks for 10 games, then the first year of his 3 year ELC kicks in. That's what happened to Sbisa during his first year with Philly, so even though he's played the last 1 1/2 years in juniors, his ELC will expire after this season making him an RFA. Sbisa knows that if he fails to stick with the Ducks this year and is returned to Syracuse then his next 2-3 year deal will not be very lucrative (probably a little above the league minimum).

If Fowler stays up for more than 40 games, then the season will count towards his seven year march towards UFA eligibility. Guys like Doughty can become UFAs at age 25 under the current CBA. UFA status is granted after 7 years in the NHL or age 27.

Old
10-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
Is it really good for his development to play 22 minutes a night on an NHL club though? Hazy was talking about it during the game and I agree with him. The club is using him too much right now. As the season goes on, I see him breaking down. Hopefully I'm wrong, and maybe I am, but that's just my opinion.

Fowler, as an 18 year old, is our best defenseman when it comes to overall play. I'll gladly keep him around just like the Kings did with Doughty.

Closed Thread