HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Flex dilemma. Need your advice.

Old
10-13-2010, 04:28 PM
bokchoy

vCash: 500
Stick Flex dilemma. Need your advice.

Hey, guys.

I'm in the market for a new composite stick. I am 5'9" and 170 lbs. The problem is that my stick is naturally a 87 flex, but after shortening it, it becomes a 120 flex which is definitely way to stiff for me.

I need a more flexible stick,maybe at about 80-90 flex AFTER shortening it. But here's the problem:

-A Senior stick needs to be shortened and the lowest flex I can get after shortening it to my desired length is over 100.

-An Intermediate stick is at about the right length, but the highest flex I can get is under 70. That, and the girth of the stick is smaller than I'm used to.

Maybe this is an oversight by the marketing department of all composite stick manufacturers, but why is it impossible for someone of average height and average strength to get a stick of average flex?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 05:05 PM
fat pat

Send a message via AIM to fat pat
get a bauer 77 flex or get used to an intermediate. those are your only options

fat pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 05:06 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I am 5'9" and 180-185 lbs and I have an INT stick with a 65 flex. It is cut down a couple inches so it is probably around a 75 or so flex. I really like it, b/c it has good whip, but not too much. I think a 70 flex should be ok for you.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:03 PM
noobman

Is a whippier stick really that much of a problem?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:54 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Is a whippier stick really that much of a problem?
+1, I've never ever felt that any stick was too whippy for me, only ever too stiff. FWIW Phil Kessel uses an intermediate stick, Ovy and Kovy use roughly 75-80 flex sticks, and all of these guys put WAY more power into their shots than any of us. I'm 6' tall, 180 lbs, decently strong and have been playing hockey for 16 years so my technique is not horrible, and even still I wish my 77 flex stick (barely cut down) was a bit whippier if anything. For the OP, if you have any friends with intermediate sticks you should give them a try and see if you like them, they're often cheaper too. Otherwise you pretty much have to go with a senior stick in the 75ish range, they don't come whippier than that as far as I know.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 07:04 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I'm 6ft, 180lbs and used an intermediate woodie (70 flex) for a while and loved it. Then it snapped (after a normal wood stick length of time), but have now gone to a 80 flex two piece. I had been using 85 and 90 prior, but now love sticks in the 70-80 flex range.

Last edited by nullterm: 10-13-2010 at 07:40 PM.
nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:48 AM
bokchoy

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I assumed I wanted 80-90, but I will try definitely try an intermediate based on your advice. I have a pretty wimpy shot anyway, and better too flexible than waaaay too stiff.

Still kinda bizarre that there are no options for someone of my height to get an 80/90 even if they wanted one.

bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:06 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokchoy View Post
Thanks for the advice, guys.

I assumed I wanted 80-90, but I will try definitely try an intermediate based on your advice. I have a pretty wimpy shot anyway, and better too flexible than waaaay too stiff.

Still kinda bizarre that there are no options for someone of my height to get an 80/90 even if they wanted one.
Try before you buy though, if not a friend/teammates stick on the ice, then at least play around with the stick in the store. Also note that more flexible sticks are a bit less durable, but if you don't have a real hard shot this shouldn't be much of an issue.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well I'm 5'8 175, I use a stick cut to about my mouth on skates, so with intermediates I sometimes have to add an inch or two and with senior sticks I usually have to cut them down several inches. Right now I'm using intermediate 65 flex sticks and am pretty happy, but I rarely take slappers so I like them whippy.

IMO, you've got three options:

75-77 flex "whip" senior sticks - you'll cut them down 3-5" or so (depending on your preference) and they'll feel like about an 85-90 flex stick.

75 flex "stiff" intermediate sticks - you'll probably add an inch or two plug and they'll feel like about a 75-80 flex stick.

65 flex "regular" intermediate sticks - you'll probably add an inch or two plug and they'll feel like about a 60-70 flex stick.

IMO you can't go by the numbers on the side when looking at intermediates versus senior sticks. Intermediates tend to play stiffer than they are rated because they have already been cut down so to speak. And intermediates will usually have a smaller diameter shaft.

Kinda need to just take a risk IMO, or try out a teammate's stick or find a cheap used one.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:52 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
6ft 190lbs, use the Bauer X60 77 flex with no problems. Wrist shot/snap shot/passer so the flex really helps my game and without the big lean on it it has held up nicely. Never felt like it was going to snap at any time and didn't have to cut it down.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:16 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Great question OP and something I have had difficulty with as well. I am just about the same size as you (5'8, 165lbs) and have been struggling with a real good fit for a while. I had a 67 flex stick which I got for free, and could really rip a wrist shot with it, but I was shooting high a lot, and the slap shot wasn't doing much.

That stick was decent, but a little "too whippy". I tried out a stronger flex because I'm pretty strong for my size, and went to an 87 flex 2 piece composite. However, the 2 piece was for someone who was like 6'1, so I had to cut a pretty large amount of the stick off. Now the flex has to be at least 100 or so, and the stick is still a little too long, which effects my shot (I think...not entirely sure if it being an extra inch or 2 really does much). Not only that, but the only curve they had for a lefty stick was the Forsberg curve which I absolutely hate. Somehow I've managed to keep scoring, but I can't help but feel that the stick is definitely not right for me. I'll have to go for the intermediate stick again and see how it works.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

HP, you might want to try either a 77 flex senior or a 75 flex intermediate. Only a couple brands make 75 flex intermediate sticks (Bauer and Warrior that I can remember), but they are stiffer than most intermediates.

Old
10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
HP, you might want to try either a 77 flex senior or a 75 flex intermediate. Only a couple brands make 75 flex intermediate sticks (Bauer and Warrior that I can remember), but they are stiffer than most intermediates.
Thanks Jarick, I'll give it a shot.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:31 PM
glasgow26

What flex would you guys reccomend for a guy like me who's 5'11" 140 pounds and takes mostly wrist and snap shots? I just ordered a senior 75 flex because it was the only stick I could find that was long enough and had the right curve, but after reading this thread I'm worried it'll be too stiff.

glasgow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

At 5'11 you'll probably be just fine with 75. A friend of mine is 6' 150 and uses 85 flex, dude's skinny as a rail and never takes a slapper.

Old
10-14-2010, 08:22 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
At 5'11 you'll probably be just fine with 75. A friend of mine is 6' 150 and uses 85 flex, dude's skinny as a rail and never takes a slapper.
Agree with this as usual...Im 180ish and used a 77 flex for 7 months before shaft snapped and thats cause I love my slapper so it takes abuse.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:50 PM
glasgow26

Sweet, thanks guys

glasgow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:01 PM
dabeechman

Same boat as you were in. I am 5'10 and and a fairly solid 160lbs. Normally play with a 75SR cut down to a 92. Then tried a 60INT and lost 8-10mph on my slapshot and 2-3mph on my snapshot. I would much rather have a 75ish, but I'm done buying sticks for awhile.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:04 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
+1, I've never ever felt that any stick was too whippy for me, only ever too stiff. FWIW Phil Kessel uses an intermediate stick, Ovy and Kovy use roughly 75-80 flex sticks, and all of these guys put WAY more power into their shots than any of us. I'm 6' tall, 180 lbs, decently strong and have been playing hockey for 16 years so my technique is not horrible, and even still I wish my 77 flex stick (barely cut down) was a bit whippier if anything. For the OP, if you have any friends with intermediate sticks you should give them a try and see if you like them, they're often cheaper too. Otherwise you pretty much have to go with a senior stick in the 75ish range, they don't come whippier than that as far as I know.
I used a whippy stick 70 flex, I'm 6 feet tall, 190 pounds and I hated getting hard one-timers, the stick just did not do what I wanted, even if it was just a hard pass for a tap-in. I switched to an 85 and love it.

For the OP you could get a 70 flex TPS senior and cut it down, that might work for you.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:51 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm using 95 now and after switching back to the 85 for a game, I couldn't stand it. Went right back to 95. I think my slapshot's much harder too.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Pog Form

I'm 6'2, 190 lbs. I use a senior 75 flex with a 3 or 4 inch wooden end plug which probably brings it down to about a 67 flex and it feels perfect. I don't have a lot of strength behind my shot, so the whippier stick really helps to get a bit of zip which I wouldn't be able to with a stiffer shaft.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 05:50 PM
OvenChicken8

It looks like it's been said already but I'm the same "build" as you. 5'7 205lbs and I've been using 75 flex, after shortening them (usually 2-3") they feel like a 87-90. I don't have an extremely heavy shot (83 mph slapshot on my best day) so durability isn't a big issue with me.

OvenChicken8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:25 AM
ju87

Interesting thread... would like to share my experiences since I am in the same boat. I'm 5'10" and about 140 lbs. Here are the int sticks that I've tried:-

1) CCM V130 OPS, int light flex - one of my all time faves. This was the first int stick I tried and the first time I found a proper flex for me. Unfortunately, I got one of the defective ones with the crumbling blade. The stick ultimately died an early death when someone fell on it.

2) Warrior Dolomite int shaft - didn't like this stick at all. The shaft dimensions were very thin and it felt too stiff for an intermediate. Perhaps I was not used to the low kick point. This stick fell victim to a slash which split the shaft.

3) CCM V8.0 OPS, int medium flex - stiffer than light flex and the longer than a usual int stick. By the time I cut it down to my proper length, it was too stiff. Didn't have good feel either. I bought it because I read that it was the same thing as the V130. Not true.

4) NBH One90 OPS int 67 flex - great stick. I killed it with my own stupidity by taking too much ice on a slapper.

5) NBH One95 OPS int 67 flex - my all time fave. Blade feel was unbeatable. My only complaint was that it was a bit too flexy. This stick is reputed to play whippier than the stated flex, whether due to the mid kick point or otherwise. I also added a 1" plug to bring it to my proper length which may have made it even more whippy. This stick also died early when someone fell on it.

6) RBK 10K OPS int - current stick. dimensions feel like a senior stick and a bit longer than most int sticks. however, due to the low kick point, the flex does not change much when you cut it (according to the flex markings at the top of the stick at least). i get pretty good power on wristers with this thing.

Now comes my dilemma - I'm considering buying a One95 senior 77 flex and cutting it down. I don't know whether that would make it too stiff. I tried flexing a friend's NBH X60 77 flex senior cut down to around my length and it felt ok flexy, even though it is a low kick point stick. The other choice would be to buy an int TotalOne. I have read that the TotalOne is not as whippy as the One95.

My one concern with intermediate sticks is durability - not from shooting but from people falling on them and slashes. I wonder if senior sticks would have held up better.

Last edited by ju87: 10-19-2010 at 12:40 AM.
ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 05:26 AM
jazzykat

sorry to resurrect a thread but I am having trouble shooting a wrist/snap shot hard. I do not take slapshots. (I am a relatively new player and I definitely need to practice) so I wanted to get everyone's opinion if I'm in the ball park for stick flex.

5'9" and 210lbs. I have a significant beer gut. An ideal weight for me is probably down at 190 because I have very strong legs.

I use a ~56.5" 85 flex which the stick says I've cut to and equivalent flex of ~92. The brand is Winnwell which some people say is more stiff than other brands?

From everything I've read, if I was an experienced player I would need to have an equivalent flex of 100-110.

I thought this would be "whippy enough" for me. I can load the stick off skates and shoot acceptably hard.

I have also read that a good wrist/snapshot requires adequately strong hands and wrists. Along with all the normal hockey muscles that are sore after playing my hands and sometimes wrists are quite sore. Is this a sign that my hands and wrists are not strong enough to control a loaded stick?

Lastly, when I choked up on the stick maybe 1/2" or an 1" it became much easier to flex. I assume this was due to my bottom hand finding the "flex point" or the way I was getting leverage?

My gut feeling is that I just need to practice more and get my hands/wrists stronger and that in the meantime I'd do better with an intermediate stick.

Realizing that you can't see me do it, I'd welcome any feedback.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:23 AM
wondeROY

Int flex! I always go lower then necessary, unless you're taking huge clappers all the time, more whip isn't normally a problem.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote