HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Christensen hurt. Drury & Gilroy in, Sauer sits.

Old
10-14-2010, 02:26 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Staal hasn't been all that impressive. Del Zotto is a joke on defense. I'm just saying for one game. Not a continual healthy scratch. A one game scratch just to wake them up.
I know it's early in the season, but you still need to win these early games. The east will be close again this year, and you need to have a good chance of winning every game. Despite the fact Sauer SHOULD be staying in the line up, taking out Staal would just hurt the defense more.

Staal is one of my favorite players on this team, but I agree, he hasn't looked as good as usual. The same could be said for Lundqvist, but we've only played two games so far. To be fair, we need to give them a little more time to shake off any rust in their game. If Staal and Hank both look the same after Game #10, that's when I become concerned. As for now, the only thing that could help is if they continue playing.

Del Zotto's defensive play has been TERRIBLE, but I was really impressed with how he ran the PP on Monday. But, against the skill that that Islanders team had, I'm sure alot of players around the league could run the PP well against them.

IMO, the only logical option is to get Eminger out of the line up. He has been the worst defensemen on the ice. Sure, DZs defensive play hasn't been good, but at least he has been contributing offensively. Eminger has not contributed anything extra. Sure he throws some hits, but he's been caught out of position many times, and when he tries to throw hits, it makes it even worse.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:27 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
No question. I was just saying.
The biggest issue is, as bad as MDZ is at times defensively, what he brings offensively is something we need. We also have zero people on the blueline that can replace him.

What I wouldn't be against, that I haven't heard mentioned by anyone, is playing Sauer as the #4 and putting DZ on the third pairing.

DZ can play third pair minutes at even strength and run the power play.

I think our defense would benefit from Sauer seeing more minutes anyways.

Oh wait...he's not even playing tomorrow, I forgot.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:28 PM
eco's bones

Coming out of training camp most of us here seemed to have Eminger pegged for No. 7 spare defenseman. I guess we got that wrong. So far I'm pretty unimpressed with this guy. He's pretty much been a cheaper clone of Redden.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I know it's early in the season, but you still need to win these early games. The east will be close again this year, and you need to have a good chance of winning every game. Despite the fact Sauer SHOULD be staying in the line up, taking out Staal would just hurt the defense more.

Staal is one of my favorite players on this team, but I agree, he hasn't looked as good as usual. The same could be said for Lundqvist, but we've only played two games so far. To be fair, we need to give them a little more time to shake off any rust in their game. If Staal and Hank both look the same after Game #10, that's when I become concerned. As for now, the only thing that could help is if they continue playing.

Del Zotto's defensive play has been TERRIBLE, but I was really impressed with how he ran the PP on Monday. But, against the skill that that Islanders team had, I'm sure alot of players around the league could run the PP well against them.

IMO, the only logical option is to get Eminger out of the line up. He has been the worst defensemen on the ice. Sure, DZs defensive play hasn't been good, but at least he has been contributing offensively. Eminger has not contributed anything extra. Sure he throws some hits, but he's been caught out of position many times, and when he tries to throw hits, it makes it even worse.
I'm not denying any of that, but what I ment is that since Sauer can be scratched, who's been solid, you can make a case for Staal since he's been average and DZ who's been atrocious.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:40 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Staal hasn't been all that impressive. Del Zotto is a joke on defense. I'm just saying for one game. Not a continual healthy scratch. A one game scratch just to wake them up.
There's nothing to wake up from. They have to play and improve.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:58 PM
haveandare

Quote:
I'm not denying any of that, but what I ment is that since Sauer can be scratched, who's been solid, you can make a case for Staal since he's been average and DZ who's been atrocious.
Personally, I think Staal or MDZ at less than their best are both going to do more to impact the outcome of a game than Sauer at 100%. Sauer has been solid but he's also been on the third pairing and generally been out against weaker skaters. Torts isn't throwing Sauer and Eminger out there against another teams top line if he can help it. Staal and MDZ haven't been that bad. They're not in mid-season form, but most players aren't, and they're still both highly skilled in their roles, more so than Sauer I'd say.

MDZ, for all of his "atrocious" defensive play is a +1. He screwed up twice and he more than redeemed himself in my opinion.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Personally, I think Staal or MDZ at less than their best are both going to do more to impact the outcome of a game than Sauer at 100%. Sauer has been solid but he's also been on the third pairing and generally been out against weaker skaters. Torts isn't throwing Sauer and Eminger out there against another teams top line if he can help it. Staal and MDZ haven't been that bad. They're not in mid-season form, but most players aren't, and they're still both highly skilled in their roles, more so than Sauer I'd say.

MDZ, for all of his "atrocious" defensive play is a +1. He screwed up twice and he more than redeemed himself in my opinion.
Again, I'm not denying most of this, but for Sauer's role being 3rd pairing rookie defensemen playing side-by-side with Eminger, he's been pretty damn good. I was saying that if Sauer can be scratched over Eminger in the 3rd pairing role than why not it be DZ or Staal for their 1st or 2nd pairing roles? Nothing against Staal or DZ, and like you said, they're not in mid-season form. I know that and I know they'll get better since it's only been two games.

I'll take back my words about Staal or DZ being scratched to "wake them up".

But what it all comes down to is that Sauer shouldn't be scratched.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Unbelieveable. Sauer has made one mistake of significance in the two games. Otherwise, he's played a solid, dependable game in his own zone. The kid has waited long enough, he's playing well, his confidence is probably high. Why sit him? Especially when his defense and physicality will be missed against a speedy Toronto team.

Poor Sauer. Can never catch a break with this ****ing team. Eminger has been awful so far.
And that mistake was when the coaching staff put him out there, playing his unnatural left side, in his 5th NHL game - shorthanded no less.

Sauer plays a steady, if unspectacular game, and you need that on your backline. Not everyone is going to be an offensive force or a bonecrusher out there.

Sauer is really getting the shaft here. I feel bad for the kid cause he fought through some injuries, paid his dues, and earned his spot. Now hes gotta play musical chairs with a retread like Eminger and a weakling like Gilroy.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
pwoz

Torts should never break up Staal - Girardi as the first pair.. put Rozsival with DZ and let DZ hold back (utilize his offense on the PP)..

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Coming out of training camp most of us here seemed to have Eminger pegged for No. 7 spare defenseman. I guess we got that wrong. So far I'm pretty unimpressed with this guy. He's pretty much been a cheaper clone of Redden.
Sather should have offered more and tried for Sheldon Brookbank if he was available. i believe he was going to be an UFA but the Ducks resigned him before July 1. at least he has toughness that eminger and the soft defense doesnt have

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:29 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Torts should never break up Staal - Girardi as the first pair.. put Rozsival with DZ and let DZ hold back (utilize his offense on the PP)..
the rozy/mdz pairing would um..... concern me. they will get lit up.

bad idea.

actually, sauer was the stay at home guy i liked and now hes sitting for gilroy, whos like mdz only worse.

torts. ya gotta love him....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:38 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Sather should have offered more and tried for Sheldon Brookbank if he was available. i believe he was going to be an UFA but the Ducks resigned him before July 1. at least he has toughness that eminger and the soft defense doesnt have
Tortorella and Sullivan whenever they can have brought in players who have played for them before. Fedotenko and Prospal for Tortorella. Eminger played for Sullivan. That might be all it takes as far as choosing one guy over another. Kind of related--a year or so ago they had Drury ringing up Gilroy to get him to sign and later on they asked for his input on Kotalik. It can make you wonder why the need for guys to scout professional leagues.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I am ****ing dumbfounded that Sauer is sitting and Eminger isn't.

First off, the fact it's the home opener and he's been in our organization for how long and finally breaks the big club as a starter...only to have to be displaced because STEVE EMINGER is on the team instead? Not to mention he's been one of the most reliable d-men we've had, especially when compared to Eminger....

Are you kidding me with this?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:48 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Pretty ridiculous, imo. As you can tell just by reading, most if not all fans want Eminger the hell away from this team already and yet you sit the second best defender through two games out instead of Eminger.

Makes no sense. Absolutely none. Not surprising though, because Todd White is still here.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:55 PM
ruckus*

What, wanting to see Eminger on his natural side isn't a good enough reason for you guys?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:56 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
What, wanting to see Eminger on his natural side isn't a good enough reason for you guys?
The only natural side of Steve Eminger should be on the side of the street the bus is coming to pick him up and haul him away.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 06:28 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Again, I'm not denying most of this, but for Sauer's role being 3rd pairing rookie defensemen playing side-by-side with Eminger, he's been pretty damn good. I was saying that if Sauer can be scratched over Eminger in the 3rd pairing role than why not it be DZ or Staal for their 1st or 2nd pairing roles? Nothing against Staal or DZ, and like you said, they're not in mid-season form. I know that and I know they'll get better since it's only been two games.

I'll take back my words about Staal or DZ being scratched to "wake them up".

But what it all comes down to is that Sauer shouldn't be scratched.
I see what you're saying. I mostly agree with you too. Sauer should absolutely not be scratched. What I meant about the Staal and MDZ stuff is that sitting a 3rd pairing man doesn't affect a game as much as sitting a 1st or 2nd. However, Sauer has been real solid and Eminger has been much less than that. If anyone should be scratched it should be Eminger. Torts is really frustrating me with his unwillingness to scratch him.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Torts' hard-on for Eminger is head scratching. It's ridiculous. Brutal.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:27 PM
John Torturella

The third pairing is officially the worst in hockey, defensively. If you wanted to see Eminger on the the right side, why not switch him and Sauer? Sauer can't play on the off side as well as Gilroy?

Also, if these guys playing on the offside mattered so much, why not keep a left handed shot? We sent two down with no real reason behind it. Now we have to play weaker players because we have too many right handed shots. Totally mind boggling. Sauer has done nothing to make them put him in the press box.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:43 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
lol, typical to flip out that Sauer is sitting for a game. Del Zotto and Eminger have been worse, but we need MDZ's offense and he's been a major reason the PP is working as well as it is. You don't sit him. You want to send a message cut his ice time.

Eminger being in the lineup is purely because we don't have any other options at his side for 3rd D I'm guessing, save a hartford call-up, which is probably imminent the way he's playing

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:44 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Torts' hard-on for Eminger is head scratching. It's ridiculous. Brutal.
Yep. Not getting this at all.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Seriously what the **** has Eminger done..

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
lol, typical to flip out that Sauer is sitting for a game. Del Zotto and Eminger have been worse, but we need MDZ's offense and he's been a major reason the PP is working as well as it is. You don't sit him. You want to send a message cut his ice time.

Eminger being in the lineup is purely because we don't have any other options at his side for 3rd D I'm guessing, save a hartford call-up, which is probably imminent the way he's playing
Torts says Gilroy is playing LD and Eminger RD, so Eminger is taking Sauer's spot, not Gilroy.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
The third pairing is officially the worst in hockey, defensively. If you wanted to see Eminger on the the right side, why not switch him and Sauer? Sauer can't play on the off side as well as Gilroy?

Also, if these guys playing on the offside mattered so much, why not keep a left handed shot? We sent two down with no real reason behind it. Now we have to play weaker players because we have too many right handed shots. Totally mind boggling. Sauer has done nothing to make them put him in the press box.
Agreed on both points. Re the first point, neither McD nor Valentenko seemed so out of place to me; dealing with their growing pains seems preferable to this mess. Re the second point, Sauer has been pretty solid, I don't think there's any question about it.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

why not just send eminger to hartford already??

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote