HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#4: Lightning @ Flyers - Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I doubt this was you...but is it?

No, but I believe I was one section to the left. LOL

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Garbage Goal

Don't know if anyone noticed, but despite not doing anything this game, they gave Gagne 1st star (for obvious reasons).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...navid=sb:recap

That's pretty cool.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
2 goals on 11 shots, then 3 goals on 15 shots. You can talk about the team playing poorly, but the only goal I'd attribute to their bad play is the first one. Boucher's gotta have 2 and 3...and it's really deflating when your goalie sucks.

He is missed. Net presence is something this team lacks, and it's not just on the PP...though it would help. Think about the offensive play tonight. Flyers dominated and pinned the Lightning down multiple times, but a lot of the play was out on the perimeter. Hartnell is really not as reliable in front of the net (Valhoun pointed that out) as everyone thought he would be. Who else is our in front of the net presence? Only one I can think of is JVR, and he's not even that kind of player.
I don't buy that. One of the biggest reasons the Flyers made it too the Finals last season was due to their play around the net - thats how they beat elite goalies like Brodeur, Rask, and Halak. The Flyers don't need a one dimensional net camper to be successful, I'm really finding it humorous how overrated Knuble is around here.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:50 PM
MCAKES

anyone got a youtube of the gagne tribute. i got to the arena right after they played it

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Don't know if anyone noticed, but despite not doing anything this game, they gave Gagne 1st star (for obvious reasons).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...navid=sb:recap

That's pretty cool.
That's interesting (and cool). It was strange...they didn't announce the stars in the arena. I wish they had if that was the case.

BTW --

Old
10-14-2010, 10:51 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAKES View Post
anyone got a youtube of the gagne tribute. i got to the arena right after they played it
Post #545 or #550, not the best audio but it works.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
No, but I believe I was one section to the left. LOL
Yup, the reaction was "Santa Claus and snowballs."

Old
10-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Yup, the reaction was "Santa Claus and snowballs."
Yup.

Let's see what coverage/write ups say now... probably nothing...

Old
10-14-2010, 10:57 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Yup.

Let's see what coverage/write ups say now... probably nothing...
As I said yesterday, five or ten years from now, someone will write about "Santa Claus and snowballs" and this tribute, like the overwhelming others, will be overlooked because it doesn't fit that particular writer's agenda.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
The Flyers lost, the game sucked, I have a sore throat, and Matt Carle is still terrible.

I'm not going to throw the blame on Boucher, but it does bring up the question to the people who think the Flyers don't need a good goaltender because the defense is so awesome is...what happens when they're not?

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

From the NHL.com site posted above...

Quote:
Fans cheered within the first minute of the game, when Gagne stepped on the ice for his first shift. The popular left winger received a louder ovation with 13:40 left in the first, when the Flyers showed a video montage of highlights during a timeout. Gagne waved to the crowd from the bench, then did a half-circle on the ice while joining his new teammates for the faceoff.

"I was up for the faceoff, anyway, so I thought it was a good time to do it," Gagne said. "I wanted to cry. I had to stop watching (the video) a couple of times. A lot of emotion. Everything started here. They showed my first goal and all the big goals. It's still hard to think about. They're always going to be in my heart. That's something I'll always remember."
Quote:
Gagne has had three emotional games with Tampa. On Oct. 9, he played his first game for his new team, then followed that up by playing in his home province against the Canadiens.

And now Philadelphia.

"I raise my hat to him," Tampa Bay coach Guy Boucher said. "I might have been crying when I saw that video."

Gagne did.

"You don't really realize how important you come back and get a reaction like that," he said. "If you play for the Flyers your whole career, you might not have a chance to have an ovation like that. You realize you were a big part of their life for 10 years, and that's really touching. They're always going to be in my heart. It's always going to be a special place for me."

Old
10-14-2010, 11:13 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
From the NHL.com site posted above...
Thats tough.... I feel like crying now

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I don't know if you can tell this from TV, but Shelley keeps switching from left wing to right wing in the middle of a shift, he'll just switch sides whenever he feels like it and he's ****ing up the forecheck and screwing Powe over. He takes himself out position to make a hit and it's so frustrating.
He is awful, and once again it was useless to play him since Tampa didn't have a heavyweight to go with him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

rage. why couldnt we have just not signed shelley or picked up walker, or overpaid leighton?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:19 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Without reading the thread...

A very sloppy and uninspired game tonight.

The plus side, I held up my pic at the TB ice during warm-ups and totally got a nod from Gagne. Siiigggh...
He actually acknowledged most of the signs. He looked lonely.
I'm glad he acknowledged your sign, Jules, you've worked your ass off on so many things for the team.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:22 PM
mm6492

Nice to see O'Donnel fight
Nice to see Zherdev score

Bad to see Gagne in a different jersey
Bad to see so many penalties
Bad to see Boucher stink

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Without reading the thread...

A very sloppy and uninspired game tonight.

The plus side, I held up my pic at the TB ice during warm-ups and totally got a nod from Gagne. Siiigggh...
He actually acknowledged most of the signs. He looked lonely.
This is my opinion too...it just didn't happen tonight. I feel like this is how we're going to lose games all year. Billy, I was at the game (and, obviously, not watching on TV), but I noticed Shelley changing wings midshift too. He just looks like an oaf out there.

I thought Gags looked kinda lonely too. And his hair...it's too short. Everything about him in another sweater is just wrong. I thought the tribute was nice, but shorter than I expected.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Here are some quotes to accentuate earlier posts regarding the ineffective PP:

http://www.csnphilly.com/10/14/10/Li...655&feedID=704

Quote:
“We were trying to get too cute,” Chris Pronger said. “We need to simplify it, and just get pucks to the net, get traffic. Whenever you struggle to score goals, especially on the power play, there’s easy ways to try to get out of it. And the best way is to try to get some traffic in front and get some pucks to the net.”

Just two minutes in, the Flyers were given their first power play of the night, after Nikolay Zherdev helped draw a tripping penalty. Less than a minute later, it became a two-man advantage.

But as the seconds of Lightning winger Sean Bergenheim’s early hooking penalty ticked toward 0, the crowd soured, devolving into a round of boos.

“I think that’s where it cost us the game,” Danny Briere said. “We had a minute 15 there (of a two-man advantage), and we weren’t even able to get a shot off. Our problem wasn’t execution on that one, we couldn’t even set it up. We couldn’t get the puck to set up the play. It’s not from a lack of trying. We’ve been working on it with the coaching staff, but right now, things are not happening.”

It was that kind of night. The Flyers weren’t terrible, but certainly played below their ability. Throughout the game, there were too many botched passes, missed opportunities and defensive slip-ups.

Especially on the power play.

“A little bit of everything,” Briere said, when asked what the biggest issue with the team’s power play is. “There’s not much going right. One power play, it seems we’re not able to get control of the puck, the next power play, we’re not able to find the lanes. A lot of power plays, we’re not able to get pucks on net. …

“We have to do a better job of either getting our release off a little quicker or taking a step off to the side. But we’ve got to start hitting the net.”

Old
10-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Amateur Hour

One more time, why is Jody Shelley taking up $1.1M of our cap space for the next 3 seasons? So he can utterly suck for 3 minutes every game and maybe get into the occasional fight when the other team has a heavyweight? Is that really worth $1.1M in valuable cap space? Why didn't we just pick up some bum for $500K who we could scratch for games where we didn't need a heavyweight? None of this made any sense at the time and it definitely doesn't make any sense now.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Terence Peterman

Ugh, I just read those Gagne quotes...my heart sighs.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Ugh, I just read those Gagne quotes...my heart sighs.
Mine too. The organization really screwed up. What we got for Gagne in a trade (I'll include Meszaros in this), at least to me, really doesn't outweigh a season of his services and then having his $5M salary come off the books in the summer. The whole trade, and how the Flyers handled it, still just doesn't sit well with me at all. Like I said in the summer, it was the first time I have ever been disappointed to be a Flyers fan.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
One more time, why is Jody Shelley taking up $1.1M of our cap space for the next 3 seasons? So he can utterly suck for 3 minutes every game and maybe get into the occasional fight when the other team has a heavyweight? Is that really worth $1.1M in valuable cap space? Why didn't we just pick up some bum for $500K who we could scratch for games where we didn't need a heavyweight? None of this made any sense at the time and it definitely doesn't make any sense now.
wouldnt it be nice to have carcillo on the 4th line and gagne on the first? imagine that.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:47 AM
mercury

I didn't see the game, but were they doing that idiotic extra pass/send it behind the goalie, rather than just get it the **** out of the zone crap when they took possession in the defensive zone? I really hate that. I counted three times the other day when they could have cleared it but the puck remained behind the blue line and the opposing team flew back in with fresh players to pin them. What the hell is that?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
rage. why couldnt we have just not signed shelley or picked up walker, or overpaid leighton?

"I am a dreamrapist."

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:36 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicman View Post
embarassing, thought Tampa was on a power play.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
I thought we were on the powerplay......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i can see it now: richards spends every shift trying to get giroux going, and giroux uses each pass to set up richards, who uses it to try to get giroux going.
Perhaps they'll pass so much it'll accidentally go in if they use the old Hartnell slap pass.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote