HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

4 cuts

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 07:08 PM
HockeySense85

vCash: 500
Well, keeping both Sarno and Stoll seems to indicate that

a) Symth or Horcoffs injury is more than minor

or

b) Symth or Horcoff or York isn't going to play center

This also suggests that

d) One of Chimera, Pisani, and Torres will NOT be a regular. Pisani hasn't had a great camp, but he seems to be the shoe in if you beleive what you read?

and

e) Mike Comrie returning to the Oilers lineup is obviously NOT likely! And that doesn't sit to well in my books!

Old
10-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Horcoff when is he expected to be able to play again from his injury?
You want Horcoff on the first line? or do u mean the common
York-Horcoff-Dvorak
P.S. I am using that line in NHL2k3 and it seems to have trouble scoring but maintains pressure in the zone for ever.
Horcoff is just resting up so he is ready for the season. He will be playing come the first game.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:02 PM
Oiltown16

I pick all 4 of those guys over Sarno...Rita I hope is now delt, not cause I don't like him, but he needs a shot and a fiar one

Old
10-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Digger12

I'm not going to rehash what I've said before, but I will say this:

When Rita was sent down last year, I felt bad for him. This year, I don't.

Right now he's closer to being the next Mariusz Czerkawski than the next Cam Neely IMO. Either this demotion fires him up and matures him as a player, or he sulks and feels sorry for himself. The ball's in his court.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:54 PM
jadeddog

keeping stoll and sarno i think obviously means that smyth is over at centre... as others have said. i think york moves up to 1st line C and horcoff takes over 2nd line C. then reasoner and stoll at 3rd and 4th respectivly. though i think that you could interchange york and horcoff and the lines will be pretty much the same otherwise.

smyth-york-hemsky
isbister-horcoff-dvorak
moreau-reasoner-chimera/pisani
torres-stoll-laraque

pisani and sarno as press box

at least thats the way it looks for now. depending on smyths and horcoffs injuries that could change... but from what ive heard both will be ready to go this thursday.

on a side note how sweet would these top two lines be?

smyth-comrie-hemsky
isbister-york-dvorak

*sigh* im starting to realize that comrie may end up with the upperhand in this negotiation after all

Old
10-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Seachd

I still don't understand why some people are so willing to give up on Rita after a grand total of what... 15 NHL games? Forget training camp - I want to see how he does on the Oilers, and he's not being given that chance.

I'll be ready to declare him a bust when he's turned 25, played a gazillion years with the team, has done nothing, is finally bought out, and signs with Phoenix for a third of what he was making here.

But really... who did we expect him to beat out? Smyth? Isbister? Moreau? Torres? It wasn't going to happen.

But I very much expect to see him up again during the year, provided Lowe doesn't make a tremendous mistake by shipping him off for nothing.

Old
10-04-2003, 09:04 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
keeping stoll and sarno i think obviously means that smyth is over at centre... as others have said. i think york moves up to 1st line C and horcoff takes over 2nd line C. then reasoner and stoll at 3rd and 4th respectivly. though i think that you could interchange york and horcoff and the lines will be pretty much the same otherwise.

smyth-york-hemsky
isbister-horcoff-dvorak
moreau-reasoner-chimera/pisani
torres-stoll-laraque

pisani and sarno as press box

at least thats the way it looks for now. depending on smyths and horcoffs injuries that could change... but from what ive heard both will be ready to go this thursday.

on a side note how sweet would these top two lines be?

smyth-comrie-hemsky
isbister-york-dvorak

*sigh* im starting to realize that comrie may end up with the upperhand in this negotiation after all
I don't like that first line too many play makers u got to spread the love around to the other lines. Secondly Isbister has been less than consistant his entire career and everytime I have seen him lately he has been playing quite well I would like to see him stick with Smyth it's too early to be shaking things up on him when he's finally finding his game, I realized he played well without Smyth past couple of games but he needs stability right now.

Old
10-04-2003, 09:05 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I still don't understand why some people are so willing to give up on Rita after a grand total of what... 15 NHL games? Forget training camp - I want to see how he does on the Oilers, and he's not being given that chance.

I'll be ready to declare him a bust when he's turned 25, played a gazillion years with the team, has done nothing, is finally bought out, and signs with Phoenix for a third of what he was making here.

But really... who did we expect him to beat out? Smyth? Isbister? Moreau? Torres? It wasn't going to happen.

But I very much expect to see him up again during the year, provided Lowe doesn't make a tremendous mistake by shipping him off for nothing.
The team is going to go through injuries. We remember how many injuries the team had last season. Rita will most likely be the first callup when the team runs into injury.

10-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
I don't know if you can even call it a negotiation anymore...usually a negotiation requires...you know...dialogue? We're hearing nada right now.

Heck, we don't even know for sure what kind of dollars are being bandied about.

I guess the next step will be the Oilers' start: If they're hot off the mark or even just holding their own, Comrie will continue to stew and maybe his resolve wavers. If the Oilers fall off the rails and lose lots of games while averaging 2 goals/game, Lowe either capitulates or is forced to deal him from a position of weakness (yet again).

Old
10-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
That's why Prendergast stated in one of GuyF's interviews that if Rita was going to make this team, it would be as a RW.

For the record, I haven't given up on him...I want him to come up here and prove his worth.

I have stopped feeling sorry for him though.

Old
10-04-2003, 10:11 PM
GorillazXL

The trouble with sending Rita down

So the deeds been done, Rita has been moved down to Toronto to start another year in the minors. I agree with some of the poster stating that this will be a test of his character, and that if he's the player we hope he would one day become; he has to start lighting it up in the minors. The trouble is, if he's on a team with no one to play with seeing how both Stoll and Sarno are up here then who's gonna be his centre? I think Winchester is a developing centre who may one day make it to the bigs, but this is going to be his first year as a pro, he's going have to learn quickly. That's why Stoll would of been a better move to be sent down. A) Stoll can show leadership to an ALL Oilers prospect cast instead of being in the shadows of Gratton. B) Better ice time, chance for Stoll to hone in his skills on the PP, PK and 1st line ice time. With two of the top prospect centre in the Oils line up, Rita gets the shaft again. He'll be expected to put up the numbers without a setup man. I think he's being set up for disapointment.

GXL

Old
10-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
So the deeds been done, Rita has been moved down to Toronto to start another year in the minors. I agree with some of the poster stating that this will be a test of his character, and that if he's the player we hope he would one day become; he has to start lighting it up in the minors. The trouble is, if he's on a team with no one to play with seeing how both Stoll and Sarno are up here then who's gonna be his centre? I think Winchester is a developing centre who may one day make it to the bigs, but this is going to be his first year as a pro, he's going have to learn quickly. That's why Stoll would of been a better move to be sent down. A) Stoll can show leadership to an ALL Oilers prospect cast instead of being in the shadows of Gratton. B) Better ice time, chance for Stoll to hone in his skills on the PP, PK and 1st line ice time. With two of the top prospect centre in the Oils line up, Rita gets the shaft again. He'll be expected to put up the numbers without a setup man. I think he's being set up for disapointment.

GXL
I think the Sarno/Stoll issue will sort itself out once the Comrie soap opera is dealt with, either in a Comrie signing or a trade.

Old
10-05-2003, 12:12 AM
KFO

i think that with both rita and salmo being cut, along with the talks of comrie back in edmonton/winter at the game tontie, that smyth will move back to the wing and comrie will sign soon

Old
10-05-2003, 04:30 AM
Lowetide

Has he shown enough for the Oilers to re-sign him,though? His rookie 3 year contract will be up at the end of this season, and that means the Oilers and Rita have options.

The Oilers can:

1. Give him a one way contract ala CHimera/Torres.
2. Try to sign him to a two way contract.
3. Trade him.
4. Let him slide back to Finland for more seasoning.

Rita can:

1. Sign a contract in Europe.
2. Push for a one way contract.

I wonder if it might be an idea to deal him,maybe at the deadline in a package? With Mikhnov taking another step forward, perhaps the money ticketed to Rita can go there.

Old
10-05-2003, 06:26 AM
theoil

I was a huge Rita fan going into this season but I have to wonder how many of the posters who think Rita was shafted or not given a fair chance saw any of the pre-season because Rita was just not any good. Apparently he had a good second period on the second day of scrimmages and scored some goals (I only saw the first half of that game) but in the three days of scrimmages and the 7-4 Oiler win over the Flames that I saw Rita just plain didn't belong on this team. And it didn't have anything to do with who he was playing with. He was sucking wind from his first sprint and always seemed to be the first guy on his line to go off and never back checked. Now I know what his teammates in Hamilton last year said about him and I know that he won top prospect the year before but he had a just godawful camp. GODAWFUL. Blaming MacTavish and Lowe is just not on. He had a godawful camp. I don't know why. I am totally confused by how badly he played. He looked like he didn't have a clue what was going on half the time. But he most definitely did not deserve to make this team off of this camp. It almost looked at times like he was trying to get himself traded. Sarno, I think, is short term but Salmo looked closer than Rita.

Does the fact that they kept Luoma mean that Ferguson is going to be traded in the next couple of days? I have thought that Bergeron was going to start at #6 and Ferguson would sit at #7 but I can't think why they would keep Luoma to make him the last cut.

Closed Thread