HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#4: Lightning @ Flyers - Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-15-2010, 02:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
One more time, why is Jody Shelley taking up $1.1M of our cap space for the next 3 seasons? So he can utterly suck for 3 minutes every game and maybe get into the occasional fight when the other team has a heavyweight? Is that really worth $1.1M in valuable cap space? Why didn't we just pick up some bum for $500K who we could scratch for games where we didn't need a heavyweight? None of this made any sense at the time and it definitely doesn't make any sense now.
Remember, he's supposedly the 3rd line player grinder/fighter, who chips in goals, and wearer #45 that apparently we never had.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 05:46 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Apart from the first period, this was a ****** game. No one played particularly well, and several players really underperformed (Carle, Carcillo to name a few, oh, and Shelley of course, agreed on the switching wings part, our fourth line isn't nearly as good as it was last year on the forecheck). TB didn't even play that well, we giftwrapped this win for them.

JvR - Richards - Giroux
Hartnell - Carter - Zherdev
Powe - Brière - Leino
Carcillo - Betts - Nödl

as the lines for next game?

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Unstable

I see that Zherdev scored a goal. Did he have a little more hustle?

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 06:59 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
I see that Zherdev scored a goal. Did he have a little more hustle?
He crashed the net, and JVR threaded a pass to him.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Kaktus*

Too many passengers on this team. Too many undisciplined penalties. Half ass efforts from 90% of the team with very few exceptions (JVR and Giroux).

Tampa came to Philly at 3am and stole 2 points. They were not even that good.

I want to see Nodl or Maroon or Kalinski instead of Shelley against Pittsburgh. I want Lavi to bag skate Hartnell and Carcillo as well as Coburn and have a serious talk with bith Carter and Richards as well as Zherdev (Z plays like ballerina 80% of the time). Practice PP and than bag skate the whole team with exception of Pronger and Betts, give those two a few days off.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-15-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Too many passengers on this team. Too many undisciplined penalties. Half ass efforts from 90% of the team with very few exceptions (JVR and Giroux).

Tampa came to Philly at 3am and stole 2 points. They were not even that good.

I want to see Nodl or Maroon or Kalinski instead of Shelley against Pittsburgh. I want Lavi to bag skate Hartnell and Carcillo as well as Coburn and have a serious talk with bith Carter and Richards as well as Zherdev (Z plays like ballerina 80% of the time). Practice PP and than bag skate the whole team with exception of Pronger and Betts, give those two a few days off.
I honestly think Carcillo is the biggest problem with the Richards-Carter setup... and that isn't really his fault. However, I also think we need Carter at center independent of that as well.

They just need to play smarter. I didn't think they played that badly last night, but they just had some brutal turnovers that got turned around on 'em (Carcillo and Carle).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:39 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Not that anybody doesn't know this, but Kimmo Timonen is a tough son of a *****. That man just goes out and gets it done. The shot he blocked in the third period was horrible -- ****ing point blank, right to the leg, and he didn't bat and eyelash. Such a solid, solid player.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:48 AM
SilkyMitts

a positive that I saw is the play of O'Donnel. I must admit I dont think Ive seen him play before he came here, but he seems to be holding down the 3rd pairing nicely. very capable for an older player. I liked seeing him shove downie around, and he did a great job keeping the puck in the zone in the 3rd when we needed it most.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:48 AM
infidelappel*

Watching that game, and reading all of the Gagne articles and stuff has reaffirmed that he was my favorite Flyer in my lifetime. Love that dude, in a purely heterosexual way.

And so far, seeing how certain guys that we traded him to make room for have played...I hate the trade more than ever.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Apart from the first period, this was a ****** game. No one played particularly well, and several players really underperformed (Carle, Carcillo to name a few, oh, and Shelley of course, agreed on the switching wings part, our fourth line isn't nearly as good as it was last year on the forecheck). TB didn't even play that well, we giftwrapped this win for them.

JvR - Richards - Giroux
Hartnell - Carter - Zherdev
Powe - Brière - Leino
Carcillo - Betts - Nödl

as the lines for next game?
JVR - Carter/Richards - Richards/Carter looked pretty damn good the few times we've seen that line.

I say if Leino and Hartnell don't pick it up within the next few games, then we split that line. Danny boy is still in playoff mode it seems. Lets give it some time.

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
i think ill point out a couple positives.

richards is ****ing great on the pk. just amazing.

giroux is basically just great.

JVR continues to look good.

Timonen...what else needs to be said? o'donnell was very good last night.

hartnell is much ****ing better than last year, and that whole line is just great.

briere has been a beast.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:24 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Not that anybody doesn't know this, but Kimmo Timonen is a tough son of a *****. That man just goes out and gets it done. The shot he blocked in the third period was horrible -- ****ing point blank, right to the leg, and he didn't bat and eyelash. Such a solid, solid player.
He also took a pretty nasty looking stick to the face.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:33 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
At the risk of beating the proverbial dead horse, I am adding this comment (today's Inq.) to the array of prior remarks on the subject of "Santa Claus and snowballs":

Quote:
Gagne said: "The fans were awesome. I was not worried about getting booed. Some reporter asked me if I was going to get booed and stuff like that in Tampa Bay. I said I don’t think so; they are pretty good fans.”
Sometimes you have to read in between the lines.

It's vastly different than this foolishness:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1127755.ece

Quote:
Gagne, 30, just hopes he doesn't get booed.

Fans can be mean in Philadelphia. Santa Claus once was booed at an Eagles game. "So you never know," Gagne said.

It would be a shame. Gagne scored 259 goals for the Flyers, scored 40 twice, was a two-time All-Star and lifted the team in last season's playoffs with nine goals and 12 points in 19 games.

But the Flyers needed salary-cap space, so Gagne was traded for defenseman Matt Walker.

"I don't know if it's going to be tough or special; maybe a mix of both," Gagne said about being in the Wachovia Center. "I'll try … to go in the right locker room."

Gagne has fit in well with the Lightning, and though without a point in Saturday's opening win over the Thrashers, his screen of goalie Chris Mason was key on Lecavalier's goal.

"But that's Gagne," Boucher said. "He does the little things right. He does the little things to win. He's a tremendous player."

Still, Lecavalier said Gagne is "really going to have to focus" the next two games.

"He's played almost every year in the playoffs, so he can handle pressure," Lecavalier said. "But it's not even pressure, it's the excitement, the emotions."

"You still get a feeling for the people you were working with," Gagne said. "I'm not talking about the players but the people outside, people working in the building. That's going to be the tough part. I never really had a chance to say goodbye. But from the hockey side, it's over. I'm a Lightning now. It's time to say, 'Okay, I'm with a new team.' "

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:39 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
At the risk of beating the proverbial dead horse, I am adding this comment (today's Inq.) to the array of prior remarks on the subject of "Santa Claus and snowballs":

Sometimes you have to read in between the lines.

It's vastly different than this foolishness:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1127755.ece
It slays me that Flyers fans still have that perception tied to the rest of Philly sports. I think - as a fan base - we have always been exceptionally fair with our players.

Unless they play their game in that little blue crease, that is.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:51 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
It slays me that Flyers fans still have that perception tied to the rest of Philly sports. I think - as a fan base - we have always been exceptionally fair with our players.

Yea, Flyers fans are not like Eagles fans (who I can't stand, for the most part). Two totally different animals.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

I made enough comments on the matter in part 2 of the Colorado thread prior to the event. I know our fans and that comes from forty years of watching this team. The writer had an agenda as I stated. He lost and that comes from a lack of knowledge on the topic. Cite the fans' reactions of returning players akin to Gagne, non-polarizing figures like Kerr and Propp or guys like Bob Kelly and Joe Watson. And the list goes on. Don't bring up 1968 and a football game. The problem is 1968 and snowballs will be used again by another writer, and this event will be forgotten just like the fantastic tributes of the past.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I made enough comments on the matter in part 2 of the Colorado thread prior to the event. I know our fans and that comes from forty years of watching this team. The writer had an agenda as I stated. He lost and that comes from a lack of knowledge on the topic. Cite the fans' reactions of returning players akin to Gagne, non-polarizing figures like Kerr and Propp or guys like Bob Kelly and Joe Watson. And the list goes on. Don't bring up 1968 and a football game. The problem is 1968 and snowballs will be used again by another writer, and this event will be forgotten just like the fantastic tributes of the past.
The situation with Lindros was poisonous by the end... and even he got a 50/50 reaction when he came back.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:10 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The situation with Lindros was poisonous by the end... and even he got a 50/50 reaction when he came back.
Agreed. And that is why I said non-polarizing figures. Dave Schultz was greeted by intense applause when he returned as a member of Los Angeles. Signs were all over the Spectrum. Then, he fought Paul Holmgren and he was treated like an opponent, because at that point he was.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Yea, Flyers fans are not like Eagles fans (who I can't stand, for the most part). Two totally different animals.
I could not agree more. You are talking my language.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
I was frustrated with Lindros and his parents' coddling, but when his video was played at the Captains' ceremony that he could not make, I cheered. He was the only good thing to watch for a few years until Clarke came back and made the Recchi trade. Then he was amazing in the 1995 half-season.

You can argue how much heart he had - or chose to have - but you cannot argue his talent.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I honestly think Carcillo is the biggest problem with the Richards-Carter setup... and that isn't really his fault. However, I also think we need Carter at center independent of that as well.
I am with you. Carcillo should play on 1st line when he is one his game as a reward. He should never play there all the time.
Quote:
They just need to play smarter. I didn't think they played that badly last night, but they just had some brutal turnovers that got turned around on 'em (Carcillo and Carle).
I think they played nothing special, average or even below average and Flyers had day off. Made it easy for Tampa instead of jumping all over the team that was in Montreal not even a 20 hours ago start hitting, get forecheck going, no penalties.

It’s disappointing that we can not take advantage of easy schedule and somewhat "easy" games.

I am getting very annoyed with Hartnell. I am not blaming everything on just think he is a ****ing moron. When he is on he is on but if not he just ****ing stupid all over the ice. Just plain ****ing dumb.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-15-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old
10-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Jester

Not sure that's an "easy" game. TB is going to be a very tough opponent this year. They have some serious threats offensively, if nothing else.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Not sure that's an "easy" game. TB is going to be a very tough opponent this year. They have some serious threats offensively, if nothing else.
I was referring to their back to back situation, late arrival to Philly at 3am, our rest and time to prepare.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I was referring to their back to back situation, late arrival to Philly at 3am, our rest and time to prepare.
Yeah, but it's early in the year... everyone should still be fresh. Not sure that's the advantage it will be 2-3 months from now.

And, even then, the Flyers were all over 'em at times and just couldn't capitalize (the PP clearly lacks the rhythm I would expect to see develop just now). The Bolts turned a horrid turnover by Carcillo (he handed St Louis the puck at the blue line off that draw) and the idiotic slap-pass by Carle into two of the goals... and then got running around a bit leading into the 3rd goal.

Really, it wasn't that bad... just got cut down on the stupid stuff and there you go.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Really, it wasn't that bad... just got cut down on the stupid stuff and there you go.
Never said it was the most horrible game of the season. Pretty sure most Flyers fans were looking forward to this game and honestly was hoping for a better effort.

We traded awesome player for ****** and we lost a game. I feel the same way as when we traded Brindy (at least we got Prims back). I do not know..