HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2010-2011

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2010, 01:07 PM
hoopla

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
2-way in DC as well.
He rejected the 2-way in Denver so he could try and get a 1-way somewhere else. That never really happened, so he accepted the Caps' tryout offer.
gotcha thanks. I once again underestimated BB's influence on GMGM's decision making. No wonder none of them were fired after the Habs series. Those two deserve each other.

Last edited by hoopla: 10-14-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old
10-14-2010, 01:14 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
It looked like Hendricks was with Chimera and Fehr at the beginning on the game but I saw Gordo with them later on. I thought both guys played well, especially Hendricks. I'm not sure what the reason for the change was since it didn't look like Hendricks was really having any trouble on that line.
the islanders goal, as RH pointed out, was sort of right in Hendricks face. Carlson was lax covering the shooter, but had Hendricks been a little bit more on the ball with his d responsibilities the puck would not have gotten to Nino. There were also two other shifts later in the game where Hendricks, Fehr and Chimera got pinned in the Caps zone for an entire shift. A lot of that is also on the center. Gordon is good at just that situation.

Old
10-14-2010, 01:19 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Yeah Backstrom sucks. That first shift of the 3rd period when the first line was pinned...

I have no problem with disecting plays to see if a pattern of failure occurs in correctable areas. But sometimes the other team makes plays too. We focus on how great Hendicks pass to Fehr was, not their D failures. And when its on the other side, the reverse. Of course its the nature of the beast, focusing on your team. But I have a hard time killing someone for one goal or one shift of being pinned.

That said I appreciate the discussion on the play. I didn't get to rewind it as I had my own hockey game to go play in... -5 ouch!

Old
10-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the islanders goal, as RH pointed out, was sort of right in Hendricks face. Carlson was lax covering the shooter, but had Hendricks been a little bit more on the ball with his d responsibilities the puck would not have gotten to Nino. There were also two other shifts later in the game where Hendricks, Fehr and Chimera got pinned in the Caps zone for an entire shift. A lot of that is also on the center. Gordon is good at just that situation.
Getting pinned in the zone has not been a particularly strong suit for large chunks of the games for all of the lines so far. Crappy outlet passes by the defense and poor clears in general have a way of causing that to happen. That said, I do agree that it seemed to happen less often once Gordon started centering that line.

I mainly wanted to point out that Hendricks was the one who started the game centering that line. NHL Shift Charts show that Gordon didn't start taking regular shifts with them til there were about 5 minutes left in the 2nd period.

It will be interesting to see what Bruce does for the next game if MoJo can't go.

Old
10-14-2010, 01:36 PM
txpd

i dont know why they bumped gordon up and hendricks down. its a fair guess that it had something to do with hendricks play because gordon is a steady quantity. he was involved in the 1 goal against and struggled a little in the caps zone. maybe that had nothing to do with it.

maybe blew a lugie on bruce's shoe.

Old
10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
hoopla

Quote:
i dont know why they bumped gordon up and hendricks down. its a fair guess that it had something to do with hendricks play because gordon is a steady quantity. he was involved in the 1 goal against and struggled a little in the caps zone. maybe that had nothing to do with it.

maybe because BB saw that his third line wasnt clicking?

Old
10-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Stewie G

Quote:

Your guess could very well be the case. I wasn't trying to disagree. BB is notorious for making snap decisions with his lines. I always remember how last year he'd bump Fehr up to the top line every once in a while and almost immediately give up on it. That would frustrate me to no end.

Old
10-14-2010, 01:58 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:

Couldn't be it. BB can't see his shoes to see it.

Too far? Petty?

Old
10-14-2010, 04:04 PM
malyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
... I had my own hockey game to go play in... -5 ouch!
I had a similarly bad outing last night. Blargh. Getting old and out of shape is lame.

Old
10-14-2010, 04:21 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

We gave up two goals first shift. First time playing this team and I underestimated their speed. Plus our team is co-ed and their team was all dudes except for 1. I just enjoy playing with my wife but I do get a little pissed when the other teams get nuts.

Also I'm still not back in shape from pneumonia. Hopefully another 2 weeks of P90X and I'll be close to full speed.

Old
10-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
How's Keith Richards on the PK?
hes there to block shots.
as you know, Keith cannot be killed... by conventional weapons.

Old
10-14-2010, 07:56 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
hes there to block shots.
as you know, Keith cannot be killed... by conventional weapons.
respectfully disagree. you can't rely on him to carry the PK, he'll never be your beast of burden.

Old
10-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

ahh well... you cant always get what you want i guess.

Old
10-14-2010, 11:41 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
thats for sure. my vision that George would get alzner a mentor has been shattered.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:12 AM
txpd

i think in the end mcphee would rather get semin, laich and green resigned later than get alzner a mentor now. maybe that is over simplification, but that seems to be his motivation.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:44 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
i think in the end mcphee would rather get semin, laich and green resigned later than get alzner a mentor now. maybe that is over simplification, but that seems to be his motivation.
There is plenty of cap space to do both.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:48 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Alan May with a new blog thing on CSNWashington.

http://www.csnwashington.com/10/15/1...00&feedID=6303

You know...he's a little rough around the edges on the air at times...but May has been a great addition to the CSN broadcasts. His new telestrator feature thingy on the pregame show has some potential as well.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:50 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Kevin Allen with some Carlson love.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...rts+-+Allen%29

Old
10-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
How do you figure? Ball parking it I see the Caps having about $49 mil committed to the guys they have signed for next season now, their 2 RFA's, and Semin and Laich, 17 guys. At the current cap that fills out the roster with all guys making the minimum. Even if I am high on what Alzner, Varlamov, Semin, and Laich all get how does that leave room for a $4 mil blueliner?

Old
10-15-2010, 10:12 AM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
How do you figure? Ball parking it I see the Caps having about $49 mil committed to the guys they have signed for next season now, their 2 RFA's, and Semin and Laich, 17 guys. At the current cap that fills out the roster with all guys making the minimum. Even if I am high on what Alzner, Varlamov, Semin, and Laich all get how does that leave room for a $4 mil blueliner?
Why does it have to be a 4mil defenseman? Just a vet of some sort. I believe it was you this summer getting all up in arms about complaints of Sloan. Well did you get your answer? I just hope 3 regulars don't go down at any point this season or our buddy TFS will be getting top 4 mins.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Your guess could very well be the case. I wasn't trying to disagree. BB is notorious for making snap decisions with his lines. I always remember how last year he'd bump Fehr up to the top line every once in a while and almost immediately give up on it. That would frustrate me to no end.
maybe going into the game he told each of them he'd try to give them each some time with the third to give them an offensive opportunity? Maybe he was doing that as a way of managing minutes? Maybe he saw something in his system that he had gone over with one of them that wasn't being executed and we have no clue what it was. Just because we can't figure out the reason doesn't mean it was a snap decision.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:21 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Realistically, what kind of raises are they due. Semin - $500k. Laich $1 million. I don't think we can predict Varly until we see what he does this season, but let's assume the same as Neuvirth which would be an increase of $300k. Alzner I would expect to re-sign for close to his current salary. So that takes us up to about $51 million with 9 forwards, 6 dmen, and 2 goalies. Assuming no inflation, that leaves $8 million for 1 top 6 forward (assuming Fehr jumps up to top 6), 3 bottom 6 forwards, and a defenseman.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
Why does it have to be a 4mil defenseman? Just a vet of some sort. I believe it was you this summer getting all up in arms about complaints of Sloan. Well did you get your answer? I just hope 3 regulars don't go down at any point this season or our buddy TFS will be getting top 4 mins.
I guess I am carrying over the $4 mil guy from a different discussion.

And I'm sorry but there isn't a team in the league who is good with their 7 playing top 4 minutes. If your expectations are for a 7 who can handle top 4 minutes ok I don't know what to tell you.

And yeah I am fine with Sloan as the Caps 7 at this point. I don't expect him to be the 7 come playoff time and during the regular season him playing regularly isn't going to make any difference in how the Caps finish.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:26 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
My fear is that GMGM would be willing to shift the appropriate allocation of dollars to the forward position from the D since KA/JC provides him that flexibility in the short term. Obviously short term deals allow that flexibility and you should take advantage of what cheap guys can do for you. But the "extra" money should be put into areas of weakness, not strength, regardless of a desire to keep a "core" together. You can't keep everyone.

I also think that majority of folks here have watched poor cap management for several years with the skins they don't understand or can't value setting an internal allocation to positions and instead they look at each player come due vs the "market" which prevents them from accepting walking away from players once they price themselves out of your structure.

All you have to do is look at what the Steelers and Pats do and see half of the Superbowls this decade in their shelves to bring some context to how to run in a cap world.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Kevin Allen with some Carlson love.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...rts+-+Allen%29
so you're stealing links from the Posts' caps blog now?

Closed Thread