HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Little Explanation of What's Going on w/ NYR Blue Line

Old
10-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Hockey2000nyr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
love that leadership by coach clown. this guy needs to go. im so hoping hes shown the door before christmas.

as far as the d situation goes, im wayyy more concerned with our top 4 than the bottom pair. girardi seems to have started pretty well. hes got 6 shots on net which i like to see from danny. hes been involved and hes playing well.

staal looks lost. like he did in preseason.

then theres rozy.

rozy played possibly the most unproductive 27 minutes of hockey ive ever seen on monday. 1 shot. 1 secondary pp assist (by passing it to mdz btw). for an "offensive dman" hes pretty offensive alright......

so far this season, in @ 47 minutes of hockey in the first 2 games, blowzsy has exactly

1 SHOT

is that even possible for a guy who plays the pp and is supposedly playing to add offense.

and other than the pp, mdz is playing like stevie wonder.

gilroy is not the answer folks. we dont need more offense from our defense.

we need more defense from our defense.
while i can understand the dissapointment of rozy only getting one shot, how many has he attempted, because the defenseman is typically shooting from far out not all of his shots get to the net because of 1) accuracy problems 2) people blocking it 3) deflections of the puck wide. cant always get shots on net. plus its only been two games

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:12 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Only on HF do people cry for a coaches head over which 6th "D" gets to play tonight. Seriously? Sauer has played 5 NHL games in his life and averaged 12:54 ATOI. Eminger clearly can't play left "D" and is serviceable as a 6th on the right side and has only averaged 13:09 ATOI. The Rangers are giving each a chance to play and it's the 3rd game of the season. This isn't that big of a deal. Clearly, management thinks Vtank and McD aren't ready yet and how on earth are you going to peddle any of these young guys (Sauer and Gilroy) for an experienced "L" D if THEY DON'T PLAY?

We've played two games and I'm already tired of Brooks' BS.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Gilroy and Eminger are both 26.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:17 AM
mullichicken25

holy christ

i was going to start quoting posts and responding but it would take all day

you guys are out of control

ODC...its back on the ignore list for you

Rosi has been this teams best defeseman so far

sauer has be OK...looks like a rookie

how can you guys have SUCH a problem with him trying to give gilroy and emminger a shot at this point in the season?

i dont even like gilroy, but i'd rather them try now and if they dont look decent send their ***** down

again...you people are out of control

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:25 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The thing that really gets me is that Sauer has been so good, but beyond that he has the mental make up and that 'right' confidence that 'Torts' always talks about... There is no reason to scratch him.

Tortorella doesn't recognize what a defenseman is supposed to be.

Sauer is a PERFECT example of what a defenseman is supposed to be. I.E.: someone who can play in his own end.

Sauer has been outstanding. Blocking shot, hitting, passing, rarely if ever caught out of position... Why the heck is he being scratched???? He's 100% part of the long term solution, IMO. He is already on par with Staal and Girardi, our two best defensemen. There is NO rational reason for Sauer to be scratched, ever, unless the replacement is better.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'm not going to cast Gilroy off this team after 1 season. He may be 26 but I believe that, based on his potential (and yes he does have potential), you wait a little longer than 69 games to determine his ability especially after transitioning from the NCAA.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:31 AM
OverTheCap

The team defense is poorly constructed. They never got a veteran lefty defenseman to replace Redden and it is coming back to haunt them. It also sounds like they misjudged McD by assuming he would be ready to to step into the NHL immediately

And the *****ing about Rozy is ridiculous already. There have been at least 3 defensemen who have played worse than him. Some people just judge players based on the name they wear on the back of the jersey rather than their on-ice play, it's ridiculous.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I think he just wants to see which d-man, Gilroy or Eminger, to get rid of. I think you guys are reading too much into it.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:37 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Only on HF do people cry for a coaches head over which 6th "D" gets to play tonight. Seriously? Sauer has played 5 NHL games in his life and averaged 12:54 ATOI. Eminger clearly can't play left "D" and is serviceable as a 6th on the right side and has only averaged 13:09 ATOI. The Rangers are giving each a chance to play and it's the 3rd game of the season. This isn't that big of a deal. Clearly, management thinks Vtank and McD aren't ready yet and how on earth are you going to peddle any of these young guys (Sauer and Gilroy) for an experienced "L" D if THEY DON'T PLAY?

We've played two games and I'm already tired of Brooks' BS.
It's Brooks' fault that the head coach assembled a defense that doesn't have an even amount of left and right defensemen?

It's not about "giving each a chance to play".

It's about putting players in positions to succeed and help the team win.

Playing ANY of the three guys on the left side is not fair to them OR the team. Do you not get that?

You think this is fair to Gilroy tonight? That this is his "shot"? How the hell is throwing him to his off side for the first time ever equivalent to being given a "shot"?

You're completely missing the point of this.

And if the 5th and 6th D men matter as little as you're acting like, why don't we just put anyone out there? I mean, it doesn't seem to matter to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
holy christ

i was going to start quoting posts and responding but it would take all day

you guys are out of control

ODC...its back on the ignore list for you

Rosi has been this teams best defeseman so far

sauer has be OK...looks like a rookie

how can you guys have SUCH a problem with him trying to give gilroy and emminger a shot at this point in the season?

i dont even like gilroy, but i'd rather them try now and if they dont look decent send their ***** down

again...you people are out of control

Sauer has looked better than okay. Just because he plays a steady game and isn't flashy shouldn't be a negative.

I'd also rather him give Gilroy a shot and I hate Gilroy. The problem everyone has is that it's at the expense of Sauer and not Eminger. And now he's playing yet ANOTHER defenseman on their off side. One that's not very good at playing defense to begin with.

Is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:38 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think he just wants to see which d-man, Gilroy or Eminger, to get rid of. I think you guys are reading too much into it.
For an organization that's been preaching youth and the fact that Eminger is a re-tread who has done nothing to warrant playing time, is that even a question?

I think you're the one reading it wrong.

It's more Torts buffoonery.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:45 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Gotta agree with the Torts bashers here. I just dont understand the reasoning. And if Eminger is so bad because of the side he plays on, then why did he start the first two games of the year there?

Granted, its early... but I dont like the whole "lets see who does better here" mentality. That flies in the preseason IMO. Points are on the line now and every one of them counts. I know you always are tinkering, but Sauer has been far and away the best out of the bottom three defenders and he needs to be in there.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:51 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
It's Brooks' fault that the head coach assembled a defense that doesn't have an even amount of left and right defensemen?

It's not about "giving each a chance to play".

It's about putting players in positions to succeed and help the team win.

Playing ANY of the three guys on the left side is not fair to them OR the team. Do you not get that?

You think this is fair to Gilroy tonight? That this is his "shot"? How the hell is throwing him to his off side for the first time ever equivalent to being given a "shot"?

You're completely missing the point of this.

And if the 5th and 6th D men matter as little as you're acting like, why don't we just put anyone out there? I mean, it doesn't seem to matter to you.
They (5th/6th) play 12-13 minutes a game and seeing how Gilroy handles the left side, in ONE game, in the MIDDLE of OCTOBER, against the worst team in the East last year HARDLY seems like a huge risk. What if he's successful? What if he's played that position in practice? You don't know and neither do I. Throw Sather under the bus if you want to as he is ultimately responsible for who is where at the end of the day and who is a NYR and who isn't. Would I rather have an NHL ready Left "D"? Yes. But, clearly, management doesn't think McD is ready (who is a -1 with zero shots on goal in two games with HFD, but that's clearly too early to call) nor do they feel Valentenko is ready (who I really look forward to having up here. Actually both of them, but you can't have 5 or 6 guys on your blue line with 3 or less years of experience).

This is one game and (likely) twelve minutes. Sauer will live and I'm sure he's just happy as hell to even have the opportunity.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:56 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Gotta agree with the Torts bashers here. I just dont understand the reasoning. And if Eminger is so bad because of the side he plays on, then why did he start the first two games of the year there?

Granted, its early... but I dont like the whole "lets see who does better here" mentality. That flies in the preseason IMO. Points are on the line now and every one of them counts. I know you always are tinkering, but Sauer has been far and away the best out of the bottom three defenders and he needs to be in there.
If Eminger wasn't injured for most of the preseason, they probably would have had a better gauge on him. I was pissed off when he got injured because I knew they would give him the benefit of the doubt due to his groin injury.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:58 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
They (5th/6th) play 12-13 minutes a game and seeing how Gilroy handles the left side, in ONE game, in the MIDDLE of OCTOBER, against the worst team in the East last year HARDLY seems like a huge risk. What if he's successful? What if he's played that position in practice? You don't know and neither do I. Throw Sather under the bus if you want to as he is ultimately responsible for who is where at the end of the day and who is a NYR and who isn't. Would I rather have an NHL ready Left "D"? Yes. But, clearly, management doesn't think McD is ready (who is a -1 with zero shots on goal in two games with HFD, but that's clearly too early to call) nor do they feel Valentenko is ready (who I really look forward to having up here. Actually both of them, but you can't have 5 or 6 guys on your blue line with 3 or less years of experience).

This is one game and (likely) twelve minutes. Sauer will live and I'm sure he's just happy as hell to even have the opportunity.

How many points did we miss the playoffs by again last year? I forgot, I need you to remind me.

The Leafs are playing great hockey to start the year.

What if he's successful? Gilroy hasn't been successful at playing HIS side yet at the NHL level.

I don't know if he's played it in practice? Actually we do. We've got great reporters who cover the team, and never once has it been noted or reported that he's practiced on his off side.

I will give Sather blame for not having the balls to tell Torts that this isn't going to fly. However, I'll also take him at his word when he said he told Tortorella to put the best players on the roster.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
clmetsfan

I don't understand the reasoning, and if I was head coach of the Rangers I would be sitting Eminger and playing Gilroy and Sauer. But you know what? I also don't have my name on the Stanley Cup. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say a) Tortorella MIGHT know more than me when it comes to coaching a hockey team and b) the third game of the season MIGHT be too soon to decide that our current crop of players needs to be changed

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
For an organization that's been preaching youth and the fact that Eminger is a re-tread who has done nothing to warrant playing time, is that even a question?

I think you're the one reading it wrong.

It's more Torts buffoonery.
Eminger was fine the first game and crappy the 2nd game. I think this is his last chance. Torts knows what he has in game time with Sauer (who has been steady for two games). Why don't we see how long this goes before you reactionary dudes start *****ing and crying and freaking out. It's not even 3 ****ing games into the season and some of you are ready to kill the coach and bury the team.

Just ridiculous. You guys are not true fans.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I don't understand the reasoning, and if I was head coach of the Rangers I would be sitting Eminger and playing Gilroy and Sauer. But you know what? I also don't have my name on the Stanley Cup. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say a) Tortorella MIGHT know more than me when it comes to coaching a hockey team and b) the third game of the season MIGHT be too soon to decide that our current crop of players needs to be changed
A reasonable post. Thank you.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:09 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Eminger was fine the first game and crappy the 2nd game. I think this is his last chance. Torts knows what he has in game time with Sauer (who has been steady for two games). Why don't we see how long this goes before you reactionary dudes start *****ing and crying and freaking out. It's not even 3 ****ing games into the season and some of you are ready to kill the coach and bury the team.

Just ridiculous. You guys are not true fans.
HAHAHAHAHA I love when people say that, you know they've got nothing to say and just want to make it look like others with differing opinions are clueless.

I'd figure you were smarter than that Jon.

All of us who can't stand this idea are such NOT true fans that we spend hours thinking about stuff like this and obsess over every game right?

Please enlighten all of us what it means to be a "true" fan Jon.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to hear it.

This team missed the playoffs by one point last year. There is no time to mess around with things.

Unfortunately we have a coach who doesn't watch any hockey, he's basically admitted that a million times since he's been here because he doesn't know "anything" about players until they get here.

Sucks for us, cause he wouldn't have to keep giving Eminger a look. He'd know what he was.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:12 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
How many points did we miss the playoffs by again last year? I forgot, I need you to remind me.

The Leafs are playing great hockey to start the year.

What if he's successful? Gilroy hasn't been successful at playing HIS side yet at the NHL level.

I don't know if he's played it in practice? Actually we do. We've got great reporters who cover the team, and never once has it been noted or reported that he's practiced on his off side.

I will give Sather blame for not having the balls to tell Torts that this isn't going to fly. However, I'll also take him at his word when he said he told Tortorella to put the bestplayers on the roster.
So, if Sauer plays instead of Gilroy tonight we make the playoffs last year? Interesting.

Maybe, just maybe, Torts is doing this to send Sather a message. Ie... "give me a viable option now that you've demoted Redden and left me without a 3rd guy on the left side".

Sorry, but I can't give you the benefit of the doubt on assessing Gilroy's NHL abilities after 69 games and jumping straight (despite being older) from college to the NHL. It's too early. He might not be able to handle it from either side. You aren't going to find out in scrimmages and pre-season games.

I get what your point is. I don't agree with it given the options Tortorella has. SOMEBODY is going to be playing on the left side with a right-handed shot. Might as well see who handles that the best.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:15 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Gilroy has never played Left Defense in his life and now in an NHL game, they are gonna try.

Big set up for failure.

Waive Emminger and bring up Tank or McD. I would rather see one of them get there feet wet in the NHL than try a guy who has never played the position.
Didn't Gilroy play a game or two on the left when sangs was called up last year?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:17 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Even Del Zotto who had a few points vs the Islanders practically gave the NYI 2 goals on Monday
Yet he scored a goal himself and assisted on Dubinsky's goal.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:18 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
So, if Sauer plays instead of Gilroy tonight we make the playoffs last year? Interesting.

Maybe, just maybe, Torts is doing this to send Sather a message. Ie... "give me a viable option now that you've demoted Redden and left me without a 3rd guy on the left side".

Sorry, but I can't give you the benefit of the doubt on assessing Gilroy's NHL abilities after 69 games and jumping straight (despite being older) from college to the NHL. It's too early. He might not be able to handle it from either side. You aren't going to find out in scrimmages and pre-season games.

I get what your point is. I don't agree with it given the options Tortorella has. SOMEBODY is going to be playing on the left side with a right-handed shot. Might as well see who handles that the best.
My point is that you can't just say oh it's only one game and nonsense like that. It's early in the season blah blah. These games matter. Every one does.

I am not against Gilroy getting a shot, but if he's going to he needs to be allowed to play his normal side.

He struggled far too much last year to now throw him onto the other side out of nowhere.

I understand someone is going to be playing the left side with a right handed shot, but that's a decision the coach made.

I also hope that your theory on Torts trying to send a message to Sather that way is way off base. If they can't just talk to each other then we've got a serious issue here. Tortorella's job is to put the team in a position to win hockey games. I don't believes he's giving the team and his players the best chance to do that.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:24 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
My point is that you can't just say oh it's only one game and nonsense like that. It's early in the season blah blah. These games matter. Every one does.

I am not against Gilroy getting a shot, but if he's going to he needs to be allowed to play his normal side.

He struggled far too much last year to now throw him onto the other side out of nowhere.

I understand someone is going to be playing the left side with a right handed shot, but that's a decision the coach made.

I also hope that your theory on Torts trying to send a message to Sather that way is way off base. If they can't just talk to each other then we've got a serious issue here. Tortorella's job is to put the team in a position to win hockey games. I don't believes he's giving the team and his players the best chance to do that.
I can say it's only one game because that's what it is. If Gilroy is miserable on the left side then it's one bad game for one guy on an 18 man roster. That probably can be said for any NHL team on any given night (that one of the players didn't perform well). I understand that we missed by a ****ing SO point last year and I can't stand the SO to begin with. But this game has little to do with that.

I can't really blame Tortorella here - his only other option was a rookie with no NHL experience who really didn't stand out in pre-season. I think McD will be an NHL'er, but the staff really didn't think he was ready. What's Torts' other option as a L D?

I'm sure it's been communicated and I'm sure Sather is aware of the deficiency. Doesn't change the fact that if Tortorella uses every option at that position and nothing works that that will force Sather to get something done that much sooner.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Vitto79

lets just hope we get the win 2nite with Gilroy looking great on the Left side and Emminger looking terrible on the Right

Then Sauer replaces Emminger and it buys time for McD or Valentenko to be called.

torts is saying he is not crazy about using a Righty on the left side so its inevitable their will be a call up or deal

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:25 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
Didn't Gilroy play a game or two on the left when sangs was called up last year?
Yes, we lost 5-1 to Tampa, 8-3 and 5-2 to Pittsburgh, and was -2 with a goal scored.

Then Heikkenen was called up