HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

10-14-10 - Blues @ Preds "Pressure Drop"

Old
10-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Paincakes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Oh and, how many games should Tootoo see in suspension. He cold cocked a guy who hadn't dropped his gloves yet. Sure the guy was a punk but it was still a free shot to the mouth without the gloves being dropped.
That was awesome. Any time a Blues player gets beat down its a good ****ing day.

Last edited by Paincakes: 10-15-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Well, the new jersey I bought my mom for her B-day is working, so far she's 4-0 including preseason games when she wears it. Hopefully I don't jynx the mojo.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
zero. reaves went after him immediatly after tootoo cleanly checked d'agostini. tootoo tried skating away and he egged him on. tootoo was facing him hen reaves turtled. Maybe, Maybe if tootoo actully landed a blow to a guy begging for the fight and he stayed down, he might get a game. Instead reaves actted like a coward and waited for mcclement (I think) to engage tootoo and magically was ok to jump up and sucker punch tootoo while his arms were tied up.

I am still amazed their wasn't a roughing given to mcclement for jumping into the scrap reaves was begging for and then wasn't ready for. pretty piss poor from a wanna be enforcer.
Shouldn't that have been a 3rd man in penalty?

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:09 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
Shouldn't that have been a 3rd man in penalty?
I didn't know if they gave third man in unless it is classified as a fight, which it wasn't. But yes, he was the third man in. He jumped tootoo when tootoo was begging reaves to get up and fight him after he cowered

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:10 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
That was awesome. Any time a Blues player gets beat down its a good ****ing day.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:45 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I didn't know if they gave third man in unless it is classified as a fight, which it wasn't. But yes, he was the third man in. He jumped tootoo when tootoo was begging reaves to get up and fight him after he cowered
That's what I thought when I saw it live, but after I see the replay, I wouldn't be surprised if Toots gets a call from the league like Trotz said. Sort of reminiscent of the Modano/Robidas incident. Toots lays a clean check, another player comes in to challenge, and Toots clocks the challenger in the face while the challenger has his gloves on.

I think Reaves wanted to go, but Toots clocked him before he could drop the mits and square up, which is how I think fights should go if they are going to have them. I also thought Reaves "turtled" when I saw it live, but then noticed that Toots caught him with a pretty vicious blow which likely stunned him.

Even if he wasn't stunned, he knew they he had just been punched before he dropped his gloves, so he could lay there and get his team a power play (the same type of thing Toots is good at, drawing the opposition into taking a penalty).

As for the third man in, everyone kind of met at center ice and the refs were restraining Toots, not the Blues player when Reaves got back up and threw a few meaningless jabs at Toots, which I guess could have meant 5-min majors for both since 4 gloves were on the ice.

Either way, I think Toots ends ended up with an extra penalty, which he did, and now may face some discipline for sucker punching a player who was not ready to fight.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Jesus what kind of people watch hockey. Reaves is not some innocent bystander coming by to give Tootoo a hug. The guy has been in lots of fights and was likely going to fight Tootoo. He bumps Tootoo and Toots drops back, drops his gloves and starts the fight. If he didn't like he shouldn't pick a fight.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Signs that it's still really early in the season; say hello to your division leaders for the West.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Jesus what kind of people watch hockey. Reaves is not some innocent bystander coming by to give Tootoo a hug. The guy has been in lots of fights and was likely going to fight Tootoo. He bumps Tootoo and Toots drops back, drops his gloves and starts the fight. If he didn't like he shouldn't pick a fight.
+1,000

Old
10-15-2010, 02:04 PM
WalkmanX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Signs that it's still really early in the season; say hello to your division leaders for the West.

Well 2/3 are a big surprise, but the leader of a central was to be expected

Side note: i really like how Edmonton is looking this season, got some really good player for the future.

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:13 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkmanX View Post
Side note: i really like how Edmonton is looking this season, got some really good player for the future.
I dunno... I mean, I consider hockey to be a lot like baseball. You first come into the league with no one having a true scouting report on you. So in baseball, pitchers usually have the upper hand the first few starts until people realize your tendencies. Same with hitters... Hitters usually have a good 2-3 months before teams see how to pitch you (see Jason Heyward). Teams don't know how to play the some of the Oilers young guns yet. Just give it a lil time and they will drop off (IMO) after teams realize how to play them. Then it is up to them (just like it will be to Heyward) to adjust.

But overall, I do agree. I like the skill they have setup for the future.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:21 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
I tend to agree with you that Reaves is basically a goon and will never be much more, and probably approached Toots with the intention of fighting. But the video evidence is pretty clear that Toots dropped and punched before the "fight" could actually start, and Reaves could show that he wanted to be a participant by dropping his gloves.

Until Reaves drops his gloves, he's merely a teammate that took exception of Toots checking his pal and was confronting Toots about it.

Trotz said as much after the game when he said he wouldn't be surprised if Toots gets a phone call from Toronto.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:40 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
That's what I thought when I saw it live, but after I see the replay, I wouldn't be surprised if Toots gets a call from the league like Trotz said. Sort of reminiscent of the Modano/Robidas incident. Toots lays a clean check, another player comes in to challenge, and Toots clocks the challenger in the face while the challenger has his gloves on.

I think Reaves wanted to go, but Toots clocked him before he could drop the mits and square up, which is how I think fights should go if they are going to have them. I also thought Reaves "turtled" when I saw it live, but then noticed that Toots caught him with a pretty vicious blow which likely stunned him.

Even if he wasn't stunned, he knew they he had just been punched before he dropped his gloves, so he could lay there and get his team a power play (the same type of thing Toots is good at, drawing the opposition into taking a penalty).

As for the third man in, everyone kind of met at center ice and the refs were restraining Toots, not the Blues player when Reaves got back up and threw a few meaningless jabs at Toots, which I guess could have meant 5-min majors for both since 4 gloves were on the ice.

Either way, I think Toots ends ended up with an extra penalty, which he did, and now may face some discipline for sucker punching a player who was not ready to fight.
What got Tootoo in trouble with the Robidas incident was that Jordin still had his gloves on when he decked Robidas. Gloved punches to the melon are frowned upon.

What he did wasn't a sucker punch since Reaves should have known what to expect since he was very involved in the lead up. Toots just dropped quicker and skipped the obligatory do-si-do. I'd be surprised if he got a call from Toronto about it.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
I tend to agree with you that Reaves is basically a goon and will never be much more, and probably approached Toots with the intention of fighting. But the video evidence is pretty clear that Toots dropped and punched before the "fight" could actually start, and Reaves could show that he wanted to be a participant by dropping his gloves.

Until Reaves drops his gloves, he's merely a teammate that took exception of Toots checking his pal and was confronting Toots about it.

Trotz said as much after the game when he said he wouldn't be surprised if Toots gets a phone call from Toronto.
Trotz never said anything about a phone call from Toronto. On OtF's game recap, which is where I assume you got it from since you have a similar user name it's actually Chris speculating that Tootoo would get a phone call from Toronto, not Trotz.

That's why you shouldn't mix a quote into the middle of a paragraph of thought...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:40 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

What Tootoo did was no dirtier than Reaves getting up to try jabbing Jordin while he was tied up with Winchester and a referee. As I've been saying to Blues fans, if one player is dirty they both have to be here. You can't create some sort of code for one guy. This is blown up because everyone involved with the Blues despises Jordin Tootoo

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 05:13 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
What Tootoo did was no dirtier than Reaves getting up to try jabbing Jordin while he was tied up with Winchester and a referee. As I've been saying to Blues fans, if one player is dirty they both have to be here. You can't create some sort of code for one guy. This is blown up because everyone involved with the Blues despises Jordin Tootoo
And because most of their fans refuse to admit that their players over the past few years have had a tendency of gooning it up.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
And because most of their fans refuse to admit that their players over the past few years have had a tendency of gooning it up.
WHAT??? Really. Who would have thunk it? Normally when one is licking the bottom of the barrel, one tends to goon it up.

Just my 2 cents.

Old
10-15-2010, 05:56 PM
glenngineer

For a guy that got "sucker punched", Reaves sure got up fast and ready to throw punches at Tootoo once he was tied up. Toots lays a big hit, Reaves comes to challenge him, Reaves needs to know Toots is going to engage him and the fact that he wasn't is his own dang fault. I get sick and tired of Toots throwing a good check, someone coming to challenge him and when he defends himself, off a clean hit, he gets in trouble? It's BS. It's a tough sport. Reaves is just another punk in the Blusers line of chumps. Too bad Toots didn't get a fair shake at him but then again, if he did, Reaves still may laying on the ice with a busted up face. I hope they go at it next time we play them.

As far as the game goes, nice to see Leggy, Ward, Dumont and Sully getting off to fast starts. Also nice to O'Reilly playing as well as he has. I've been impressed with the work ethic and the change in game plan and letting the skills of these guys really take over. Their passing has been crisp, they're using their speed and their shooting the puck. What a nice concept. Glad to see everyone is buying in to what Trotz has preached and you can see the change in the overall game of the team.

It's also nice to have Ward healthy this year. I thought he'd get bumped down to a 4th line role but him being healthy is going a long way so far.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:53 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Not sure what game some of you were watching, but it was pretty clear that Tootoo started punching before Reaves had a chance to drop the gloves and engage. Reaves obviously wanted to fight, and he bumped Tootoo as to say "Wanna Go?" then Toots just started swinging .

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFail View Post
Not sure what game some of you were watching, but it was pretty clear that Tootoo started punching before Reaves had a chance to drop the gloves and engage. Reaves obviously wanted to fight, and he bumped Tootoo as to say "Wanna Go?" then Toots just started swinging .
AHL callups need to realize that when they challenge Tootoo to a fight, they're dealing with someone that has had survival instincts engrained into him since birth. You wanna challenge Jordin to a fight, be prepared for the fight of your life...

If anything, I think Tootoo shows great restraint on the ice...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:14 PM
WartracePred

If you tell someone you want to fight, be ready when the fists fly.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:32 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
For a guy that got "sucker punched", Reaves sure got up fast and ready to throw punches at Tootoo once he was tied up. Toots lays a big hit, Reaves comes to challenge him, Reaves needs to know Toots is going to engage him and the fact that he wasn't is his own dang fault. I get sick and tired of Toots throwing a good check, someone coming to challenge him and when he defends himself, off a clean hit, he gets in trouble? It's BS. It's a tough sport. Reaves is just another punk in the Blusers line of chumps. Too bad Toots didn't get a fair shake at him but then again, if he did, Reaves still may laying on the ice with a busted up face. I hope they go at it next time we play them.

As far as the game goes, nice to see Leggy, Ward, Dumont and Sully getting off to fast starts. Also nice to O'Reilly playing as well as he has. I've been impressed with the work ethic and the change in game plan and letting the skills of these guys really take over. Their passing has been crisp, they're using their speed and their shooting the puck. What a nice concept. Glad to see everyone is buying in to what Trotz has preached and you can see the change in the overall game of the team.

It's also nice to have Ward healthy this year. I thought he'd get bumped down to a 4th line role but him being healthy is going a long way so far.
It's hard to tell about O'Reilly because he is on the top line. If he were on the 4th line like Dumont his skills wouldn't be so evident. Where Dumont has shown no matter what line he's on he's setting up everyone. But Leggy and Ward have shown to be on top on their game. It's still early but hope for continued sucess. Any win now means you don't have to scramble later in the season to get them

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 04:05 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFail View Post
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, with some caveats.
a) Toots gets no discretion when it comes to a call from the refs. If he is anywhere hear somebody and something happens, the arm seems to go up and he is heading for a two minute break. Because of this he must play with extreme discipline and caution, something he did fairly well for the most part last year.
b) When Tootoo decides to become a factor in a game by taking runs at players on the ice, he deserves the penalties he gets. I sort of think he deserved that one.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 09:34 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I just watched Reaves back in the AHL where he was willing to fight a much smaller player while avoiding anyone near his size. He's a little punk. Pretty simple concept ... if you're going to start something, be willing to stand up for yourself and accept the consequences. Reaves actually reminds me of Avery on a certain Thanksgiving afternoon a few years ago.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote