HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#4: Lightning @ Flyers - Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-15-2010, 10:21 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
I hate going to games anymore. I soon a syou walk through the turnstiles you are swamped with poeple tyring to sign you up for this and that. It is aggrevating. That palce was empty in the lower bowl. Never seen it that bad before. They are hurting for people. Thousands of empty seats. Such a shame to see them pimp everything. The loud music i can no longer take along with the MC who goes around. Brutal
My rant of the day.

From the game imo you can clearly see the players and Zherdev still not sure with each other. They are going to need some time. I liek watchign him play offense though. Never seen a guy so weak on his skates than Hartnell. The officiating was terrible. Richards and Carter dont go together as of yet. Carcillo doesnt compliment them either, though not his fault.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I hate going to games anymore. I soon a syou walk through the turnstiles you are swamped with poeple tyring to sign you up for this and that. It is aggrevating. That palce was empty in the lower bowl. Never seen it that bad before. They are hurting for people. Thousands of empty seats. Such a shame to see them pimp everything. The loud music i can no longer take along with the MC who goes around. Brutal
My rant of the day.

From the game imo you can clearly see the players and Zherdev still not sure with each other. They are going to need some time. I liek watchign him play offense though. Never seen a guy so weak on his skates than Hartnell. The officiating was terrible. Richards and Carter dont go together as of yet. Carcillo doesnt compliment them either, though not his fault.
Listed attendance was full... so they may have those seats sold on season ticket packages and folks just didn't show up.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
My rant of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Listed attendance was full... so they may have those seats sold on season ticket packages and folks just didn't show up.
A lot of folks hang out at various places (AT&T Pavilion, The Grille, etc.), so that might account for some of the absences downstairs.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:34 AM
jb**

Quote:
i realize that but i am not buying it. Every game they now have tickets available. It was never like that in the past, except the last few years. There were thousands of empty seats. People just not showing up with a few hundred empty seats, sure. a few thousand, no way.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:40 AM
MrHockey1982

I looked at the upcoming schedule and to me TB is one of the better teams we will play especially from the eastern conference. I mean there is Wash, Pitt, NJ, Bos, Buf, that I think will be the biggest challenges for us. I think TB will be in the playoffs this season esp with their offense. Maybe this wasn't such a bad loss. PP definitely sucked though and why isn't Zherdev out on it more often now? He scored a hard-nosed ES goal which is what Lav was looking for.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
i realize that but i am not buying it. Every game they now have tickets available. It was never like that in the past, except the last few years. There were thousands of empty seats. People just not showing up with a few hundred empty seats, sure. a few thousand, no way.
Working in marketing is one of my many hats at my job, so it could be that the companies that bought tickets don't have as many clients to give them to, either. Not saying your original post is wrong, just that there could be several reasons for the "empties" last night.

Detroit's had thousands of empty seats for a few years now, too. Times are still tough out there.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Jester

Quote:
It's a Thursday night game in October. Sure, Gagne coming back was a big deal... but not sure the corporate ticket holders (who have been taking over the lower bowl ever since that arena was built) care a whole hell of a lot about that.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
It's a Thursday night game in October. Sure, Gagne coming back was a big deal... but not sure the corporate ticket holders (who have been taking over the lower bowl ever since that arena was built) care a whole hell of a lot about that.
A bit off-topic, I guess, but I wish the second level was more "on top" of the ice like it was at the Spectrum. The more enthusiastic fans are generally up there and the distance deadens the cause of the "Philadelphia Flu."

As for the Flyers effort last night, I wish they performed as well on PP as they did the PK. They need to play with as much fervor when they're up 1 as when they're down 1.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Bingo. The Flyers have insane levels of corporate support. And that is generally a good thing but often causes some games to be fairly quiet (when the entire lower bowl consists of non-hardcore fans who happened to have gotten tickets for free via a business) or causes the games to look like they weren't sold out when they are.

In addition, the same people who go to games due to corporate season tickets are also the ones that often can't get there before the puck drops due to heavy Philly traffic so there is usually a noticeable increase by the beginning of the second period. And, as mentioned above, the WFC has an insane amount of space devoted to drinking and hundreds of people pretty much live at the various bars.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:12 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Let me tell you how good the economy has been in the last few years....

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:12 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
And, as mentioned above, the WFC has an insane amount of space devoted to drinking and hundreds of people pretty much live at the various bars.
I don't understand that at all...

In CBP I understand it because tickets are cheaper, generally, for baseball than hockey AND you still get a really great view from everywhere in the stadium.

In the Wach, tickers are more expensive and you get to watch the tv on a small and (I think) non-HD tv... even worse than at home or PJ's.

Not to mention the fact that if you are going to a sports game I would assume you'd actually want to watch the sport, since the bar at the Wach is basically just a sausage fest version of a normal bar with jacked up alcohol prices.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post

In CBP I understand it because tickets are cheaper, generally, for baseball than hockey AND you still get a really great view from everywhere in the stadium.

In the Wach, tickers are more expensive and you get to watch the tv on a small and (I think) non-HD tv... even worse than at home or PJ's.

Not to mention the fact that if you are going to a sports game I would assume you'd actually want to watch the sport, since the bar at the Wach is basically just a sausage fest version of a normal bar with jacked up alcohol prices.
I'm not saying that it isn't retarded, but it's the way it is. Though the alcohol prices aren't too bad once they drop down to non-game prices.

Also, there is the Lexus Club and Cadillac Grille that people, for some reason, love to spend way too much time in.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post

A lot of the corporate folks are not necessarily Flyer/hockey fans, and in many cases they're using the tix to schmooze clients and the like (who are also not necessarily Flyer/hockey fans). So, hanging around the bar is just as good as anywhere else.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:46 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Let me tell you how good the economy has been in the last few years....
when are you going to enlighten me about the economy?

Old
10-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Valhoun*

The Flyers, during the last offseason, were on pace to have 95% of tickets sold before the season even began. So I am sure that it is just season ticket holders and corporate sponsors just not showing up for weekday games... something that is an issue for most teams.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
A lot of the corporate folks are not necessarily Flyer/hockey fans, and in many cases they're using the tix to schmooze clients and the like (who are also not necessarily Flyer/hockey fans). So, hanging around the bar is just as good as anywhere else.
Exactly. You don't want your proposal talks disrupted by glass rattling from hits and pucks, the oohs and boos of a crowd, the too-loud music from the PA, and the horn that goes off for a home goal that also alerts Cape May Point of incoming ships.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
I'll try.

Old
10-15-2010, 12:05 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I'll try.

In addition to having my favorite avatar, Flyskippy has pretty much got it.

Not only is the lower bowl chock full of corporate holders that either don't care to show up to the game or don't care to go in the arena and watch because they're drinking in the Pavilion, but the above image may be a clue as to why more tickets are available on game day and every game isn't a true sell-out.

I'm pretty sure it's no coincidence that in the last few years, the economy (as you may or may not have noticed) has been less than stellar. And, shockingly enough, there are more tickets available on game day at the arena? Hmmm.....wonder if there's a connection?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
not a good effort last night at all. Just like the Colorado game they came out flying for 1 period and could not sustain it. 12 shots in the final 2 periods on what is supposed to be a sub-par defense? not good enough. not even close.
Once again a horrific turnover ends up in the back of the net. Of course the turnovers have been a problem so far in the 4 games. wouldnt shock me if we led the league in unforced turnovers if that stat is kept.
Our best players need to be better. That is beginning to sound like a broken record. Not going to talk about the PP. Enough has been said on that.
JVR was unreal again. hopefully is effort and hard work pay off in some goals.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:09 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The corporate crowd at the Wells Fargo Center does stink. I'm glad I got to experience the real hard core fan base that wasn't priced out when the Flyers were still at the Spectrum particularly in the mid to late 80's. The crowd was loud and true hockey fans. The Flyers sort of accomodated the hard core fan base with the more affordable Phantoms and the hot dog promotions but now they are gone as well. I like going to the main games like the one this weekend against Pitt but otherwise my HDTV works for me and I guess Comcast who gets my money...

It's sad but I think too much corporatization IMO has made the live experience seem too artificial. Now of course I have to watch CGI's behind the goal net on Comcast. Pretty soon corporate logos will be all over the Jerseys and everywhere there is an empty space. I watch some of the NHL classic games and it's amazing how the boards were mostly all white...I remember it when I first started watching but it wasn't long before the advertisements were all along the boards.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Not only is the lower bowl chock full of corporate holders that either don't care to show up to the game or don't care to go in the arena and watch because they're drinking in the Pavilion, but the above image may be a clue as to why more tickets are available on game day and every game isn't a true sell-out.

I'm pretty sure it's no coincidence that in the last few years, the economy (as you may or may not have noticed) has been less than stellar. And, shockingly enough, there are more tickets available on game day at the arena? Hmmm.....wonder if there's a connection?
People are definitely more crimped these days. Discretionary spending is tight except for iPhones of course....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:27 PM
jb**

Quote:

Or maybe people are finally tired of the product that is being put on the ice and the nhl in general. Nah that cant be part of it.

Old
10-15-2010, 12:40 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
The corporate crowd at the Wells Fargo Center does stink. I'm glad I got to experience the real hard core fan base that wasn't priced out when the Flyers were still at the Spectrum particularly in the mid to late 80's. The crowd was loud and true hockey fans. The Flyers sort of accomodated the hard core fan base with the more affordable Phantoms and the hot dog promotions but now they are gone as well. I like going to the main games like the one this weekend against Pitt but otherwise my HDTV works for me and I guess Comcast who gets my money...

It's sad but I think too much corporatization IMO has made the live experience seem too artificial. Now of course I have to watch CGI's behind the goal net on Comcast. Pretty soon corporate logos will be all over the Jerseys and everywhere there is an empty space. I watch some of the NHL classic games and it's amazing how the boards were mostly all white...I remember it when I first started watching but it wasn't long before the advertisements were all along the boards.
Look at European soccer and hockey teams...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:1,s:0

yeah, that is where we are heading.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Ugh, I just read those Gagne quotes...my heart sighs.
Ditto. Can't believe certain players are still here and he isn't. Ugh

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Or maybe people are finally tired of the product that is being put on the ice and the nhl in general. Nah that cant be part of it.
I know I'm tired of seeing the Flyers try to win every year. Heck, I'd rather spend three hours watching eleven minutes of actual play in throwball or three hours snoozing to football (soccer).