HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Switching from fairly hard ice to soft ice

Old
10-14-2010, 03:20 PM
vinogradov8

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
Switching from fairly hard ice to soft ice

Hey guys! I visited california to play hockey about a month ago, and the ice there was not good but it was hard. So now im back in florida and started playing hockey again and this is feels SO soft. I had 1/2 sharpening on my skates in california, how should I adjust my sharpening to get the "same" feel?

Im 6'0' 200lbs. I cant even quick stop with this ice, my blades just keep scraping the ice lol.

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:38 PM
PuckHogs29

Dull your blades up with a puck, and don't sharpen them as often. When you do sharpen them, dull them up again before you get on the ice.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Try going up to 5/8" hollow.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 04:09 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
Dull your blades up with a puck, and don't sharpen them as often. When you do sharpen them, dull them up again before you get on the ice.
Thats ridiculous. Just go to a shallower hollow. No reason to get a "sharp" sharpening only to dull them.

Move up to 5/8 and if you still feel like you're digging in too much, go higher till you're comfy.

As a matter of fact, you should always use the shallowest hollow you can that will still allow you to carve a turn like you want. So basically keep going shallower and shallower till you feel like they arent sharp enough, then go one step sharper and you'll get the best combo of glide and control.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 04:15 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Yeah, everyone else has the right idea, just go more shallow.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:33 PM
vinogradov8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Thats ridiculous. Just go to a shallower hollow. No reason to get a "sharp" sharpening only to dull them.

Move up to 5/8 and if you still feel like you're digging in too much, go higher till you're comfy.

As a matter of fact, you should always use the shallowest hollow you can that will still allow you to carve a turn like you want. So basically keep going shallower and shallower till you feel like they arent sharp enough, then go one step sharper and you'll get the best combo of glide and control.
I was thinking the same thing haha. Ok, well ill go try to get the Pensacola Ice Flyers guy to do that for me, thanks for the advice guys!

EDIT: by the way i dont feel like im digging in too much, I just feel that I have no "traction" on the ice. I dont know if that changes things.

Last edited by vinogradov8: 10-14-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old
10-14-2010, 10:43 PM
jsykes

Hmm, not sure how to deal with "not enough traction."

Usually, when people move from hard to soft ice they feel like they are digging in too much or losing their glide because you normally use less hollow (sharper) cuts on hard ice and go shallower on soft ice.

Now if you dont feel like you have traction, you may actually want something sharper to dig in more. You may have to experiment a little and see what works for you.

I'd go a little shallower as that is the normal progress from hard to soft ice and see if it works. If it doesnt feel right, try to go the other way and see what happens.

Good luck.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:54 PM
vinogradov8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Hmm, not sure how to deal with "not enough traction."

Usually, when people move from hard to soft ice they feel like they are digging in too much or losing their glide because you normally use less hollow (sharper) cuts on hard ice and go shallower on soft ice.

Now if you dont feel like you have traction, you may actually want something sharper to dig in more. You may have to experiment a little and see what works for you.

I'd go a little shallower as that is the normal progress from hard to soft ice and see if it works. If it doesnt feel right, try to go the other way and see what happens.

Good luck.
alright, ill start doing that haha. Thanks for the advice and good luck to you aswell!

Old
10-15-2010, 12:26 AM
dpixel8

I hate "too hard" ice. A rink up here we have basically is only seasonal, and they keep the ENTIRE arena at 34 degrees F. It's insane. So hard you can barely get an edge until halfway into a game, when the ice is cut up some. Sucks. I personally like 19 degree ice, with a semi-normal temp in the arena. Best of both worlds.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:10 PM
vinogradov8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixel8 View Post
I hate "too hard" ice. A rink up here we have basically is only seasonal, and they keep the ENTIRE arena at 34 degrees F. It's insane. So hard you can barely get an edge until halfway into a game, when the ice is cut up some. Sucks. I personally like 19 degree ice, with a semi-normal temp in the arena. Best of both worlds.
I love it bitter cold in the arena with 17 degree ice. At first your cold, but then it feels so good when your tired and you get a cool breeze through your jersey.