HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#4: Lightning @ Flyers - Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Flyskippy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Look at European soccer and hockey teams...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:1,s:0

yeah, that is where we are heading.
When I play HUT on NHL 11, I am thankful I got some cards from North American teams to shed the NASCAR-looking European ones. Blech!

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
not a good effort last night at all. Just like the Colorado game they came out flying for 1 period and could not sustain it. 12 shots in the final 2 periods on what is supposed to be a sub-par defense? not good enough. not even close.
Once again a horrific turnover ends up in the back of the net. Of course the turnovers have been a problem so far in the 4 games. wouldnt shock me if we led the league in unforced turnovers if that stat is kept.
Our best players need to be better. That is beginning to sound like a broken record. Not going to talk about the PP. Enough has been said on that.
JVR was unreal again. hopefully is effort and hard work pay off in some goals.
I agree with this. I think the Flyers should put JvR in front of the goalie on the PP. They need to get back to basics there because the fancy stuff isn't working. Vis:

Quote:
Chris Pronger said the Flyers have a case of "trying to get too cute."
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...er_Flyers.html

Old
10-15-2010, 01:30 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
When I play HUT on NHL 11, I am thankful I got some cards from North American teams to shed the NASCAR-looking European ones. Blech!
I fought an uphill battle with EA pucks for awhile trying to keep my players signed and still being able to slowly improve and I just recently got to a point where I am pretty happy with my squad and have a ton of contract cards stocked up, so I went out and bought the Flyers logo, their orange home jersey and a white away that looks a bit more old school.

Best purchase yet, by far.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
I fought an uphill battle with EA pucks for awhile trying to keep my players signed and still being able to slowly improve and I just recently got to a point where I am pretty happy with my squad and have a ton of contract cards stocked up, so I went out and bought the Flyers logo, their orange home jersey and a white away that looks a bit more old school.

Best purchase yet, by far.
Nicely done! My wife is having that problem with her HUT team. I had some MS points leftover from my birthday, so I used them to puff up my roster.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:00 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Nicely done! My wife is having that problem with her HUT team. I had some MS points leftover from my birthday, so I used them to puff up my roster.
2 tricks I learned through trial and error:

Don't waste EA pucks on any of the store packages EXCEPT the Peewee pack.

The Peewee pack gives you (every single time) at least 3 contract cards, 2 player cards (with one of them almost always being a 70 or above, I have also gotten half decent NHL players from these packs ) and one wildcard that will either be a 4th contract card (ideal), a training card or another player.

If you break that down:

600 pucks = 3 contract, 2 players and 1 wildcard

contracts cost 150 per on the market and even if you don't like any of the other 3 cards you actually MAKE pucks back from merely discarding the other 3 cards (usually 65 pucks a pop for a non star). If you get a half decent NHL player, or even an AHL player for your 4th line substitution cycle (as you get closer to the salary cap you'll know what I mean ) then that is just gravy.

the supposed "better value" pack is 7500 pucks for 24 cards.

12 cards are players and 12 cards are contracts/training if I am not mistaken, with 4 cards being guaranteed rare.

Let me tell you something first off, the ratio of rare contracts is MUCH higher than everything else... and rare contracts are almost a waste since they aren't even expensive on the market. After buying about 4 of those packs, here are some players I have gotten from those packs worthy of note:

Joe Corvo
Steve Sullivan
J.P Dumont

Nice players, no doubt, but on the market not a single one of them would sell for more than 1500 pucks. It is SO much cheaper to buy players on the market than waste your time on an incredibly slim chance for a good player from those packs.

Also, for now I would suggest playing the offline tournaments. You get so many pucks from stomping on the computer (even on Superstar you should win consistently). For example I was in a tournament with a POS team and we played Team Canada in the Finals. I won 5-0. On top of the tournament winning pucks I also got about 1300 for the win itself due to all the multipliers (tournament multiplier+team difference multiplier+DNF multiplier).

I would suggest online tournaments, but everyone is a ******* and quits after they got down 3-0 or with 30 seconds left in the game so that you don't progress onto the next round. Seriously, they don't get any pucks and their DNF multiplier goes down, they only quit to dick you over. *******s.

On a seperate note, I got pause glitched twice yesterday, so glad EA let that back in the game. Make sure not to leave the pause menu when someone pauses, seems to help it. One of them I scored 7 goals on in the second period. SEVEN. I probably don't even score 7 goals/period on the computer at pro difficulty... the kid must have seriously been epileptic.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:06 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
That statement just blew my mind.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
2 tricks I learned through trial and error:

Don't waste EA pucks on any of the store packages EXCEPT the Peewee pack.

The Peewee pack gives you (every single time) at least 3 contract cards, 2 player cards (with one of them almost always being a 70 or above, I have also gotten half decent NHL players from these packs ) and one wildcard that will either be a 4th contract card (ideal), a training card or another player.

If you break that down:

600 pucks = 3 contract, 2 players and 1 wildcard

contracts cost 150 per on the market and even if you don't like any of the other 3 cards you actually MAKE pucks back from merely discarding the other 3 cards (usually 65 pucks a pop for a non star). If you get a half decent NHL player, or even an AHL player for your 4th line substitution cycle (as you get closer to the salary cap you'll know what I mean ) then that is just gravy.

the supposed "better value" pack is 7500 pucks for 24 cards.

12 cards are players and 12 cards are contracts/training if I am not mistaken, with 4 cards being guaranteed rare.

Let me tell you something first off, the ratio of rare contracts is MUCH higher than everything else... and rare contracts are almost a waste since they aren't even expensive on the market. After buying about 4 of those packs, here are some players I have gotten from those packs worthy of note:

Joe Corvo
Steve Sullivan
J.P Dumont

Nice players, no doubt, but on the market not a single one of them would sell for more than 1500 pucks. It is SO much cheaper to buy players on the market than waste your time on an incredibly slim chance for a good player from those packs.

Also, for now I would suggest playing the offline tournaments. You get so many pucks from stomping on the computer (even on Superstar you should win consistently). For example I was in a tournament with a POS team and we played Team Canada in the Finals. I won 5-0. On top of the tournament winning pucks I also got about 1300 for the win itself due to all the multipliers (tournament multiplier+team difference multiplier+DNF multiplier).

I would suggest online tournaments, but everyone is a ******* and quits after they got down 3-0 or with 30 seconds left in the game so that you don't progress onto the next round. Seriously, they don't get any pucks and their DNF multiplier goes down, they only quit to dick you over. *******s.

On a seperate note, I got pause glitched twice yesterday, so glad EA let that back in the game. Make sure not to leave the pause menu when someone pauses, seems to help it. One of them I scored 7 goals on in the second period. SEVEN. I probably don't even score 7 goals/period on the computer at pro difficulty... the kid must have seriously been epileptic.
Thanks for the tip(s)!!! I've played more than my wife, so this will work even better for her. So... thanks for the brownie points.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:14 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Or maybe people are finally tired of the product that is being put on the ice and the nhl in general. Nah that cant be part of it.
Yeah bud, that must be it.

Which do you think is more plausible:

a) Less people are going to Flyers games because the economy has been in the toilet for over two years and nobody has money.

b) People are tired of the product in the NHL, and therefore not willing to go see the second home game of the year for a team that made the Stanley Cup Finals just this past season for the first time in thirteen years. And in a game that featured possibly the past decade's most beloved player's return to the city for the first time.

Thanks for playing, chief.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:15 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Thanks for the tip(s)!!! I've played more than my wife, so this will work even better for her. So... thanks for the brownie points.
Haha, enjoy.

My GT is Agrudez and my team is Amaretto if you ever wanted to play or trade.

I actually probably have some cards that I could pass your way. I have Dan Meech (DET dman - full boosted (skating and checking), 80 overall) riding the pine at the moment because I can't afford to have him on my 3rd pairing salary wise, so I would probably just hand him to you if you want.

I have a fully boosted (defense, hands and skating) Maxim Talbot riding the pine as well, but I was kind of saving him for when my 3rd line center's career ends 20 something games from now, so I don't really want to just hand him over, but a trade would be cool.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:16 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Honestly I don't even buy packs any more, I find rare contracts all the time for 200 pucks, the best way to make pucks is to scour for good deals and flip them for profit. Otherwise single player tournaments can yield a pretty good return.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
That statement just blew my mind.
Heh. My wife and her mom are Flyers STH's. She works with my mom, who introduced us - at a Flyers game (v. Washington, 3/12/09).

After we married and got settled in our new house, my wife decided to wait for the new NHL game to come out to learn how to play. The good news is that we're both poor passers thanks to the new mechanics, so it seems like I'm not all that much better than her.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:26 PM
jb**

Quote:
Yeah bud, that must be it.

Which do you think is more plausible:

a) Less people are going to Flyers games because the economy has been in the toilet for over two years and nobody has money.

b) People are tired of the product in the NHL, and therefore not willing to go see the second home game of the year for a team that made the Stanley Cup Finals just this past season for the first time in thirteen years. And in a game that featured possibly the past decade's most beloved player's return to the city for the first time.

Thanks for playing, chief.
Thanks for playing what? You keep believing it is the economy. That is a cop out. Is it part of the issue, probably, not the sole reason by a long shot. The economy has been better over the last year + anyway. There are many people who have not renwed their season ticklets because they are fed up with the product on the ice. That is a fact. Gagne didnt sell tickets when he played and is return wont sell, regardless of the economy. so his return is irrevlevent

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:30 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Thanks for playing what? You keep believing it is the economy. That is a cop out. Is it part of the issue, probably, not the sole reason by a long shot. The economy has been better over the last year + anyway. There are many people who have not renwed their season ticklets because they are fed up with the product on the ice. That is a fact. Gagne didnt sell tickets when he played and is return wont sell, regardless of the economy. so his return is irrevlevent
You are dead wrong, sir.

If you REALLY think the reason people aren't renewing is because they're fed up with a team that made it to the SCF this past year - IN THIS TOWN - then you don't know anything.

And Gagne's return game definitely did sell tickets. Virtually everyone I know who has even a passing interest in the Flyers went to that game specifically to honor him.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I was surprised there was as many empty seats, but a bunch of STH's in my section were no-shows. Likely because of the rain. It seems like a lame reason, but it is a reason.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:31 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

WHo was taking more face offs at even strength; Richards or Carter?

I think that line could work with a real LW like JvR. They don't need an anchor slowing them down

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
The onus is on you to prove this. I happen to know of six people who are not buying tickets this year due to the economy. My wife is a season ticket holder. There are other families out there cutting costs. One way would be to move upstairs because it's cheaper. The other way would be to surrender them altogether.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:41 PM
jb**

Quote:
You are dead wrong, sir.

If you REALLY think the reason people aren't renewing is because they're fed up with a team that made it to the SCF this past year - IN THIS TOWN - then you don't know anything.

And Gagne's return game definitely did sell tickets. Virtually everyone I know who has even a passing interest in the Flyers went to that game specifically to honor him.
Yeah, dead wrong your right. I dont know anything. Not 1 person cancelled their season tickets because they are unhappy with the nhl and the product. If you really think it isnt a reason people have nto renwed, than to use your phrase, you dont know anything. Then again it is all the economies fault. No other variables at all involved. My apologies.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Subject Orange

I really don't think last night was as terrible as everyone seems to be saying, (especially on the radio on the way home from the game).

Bouche was not terrible, defensive breakdowns screwed him on the first two goals. We owned the first period, hands down, but couldn't buy a goal. There was great energy but no one was able to finish it off.

Observations from the game overall

Carter started to really show some energy, using the body, putting on some pressure - Problem was it took away some of his control.

Hartnell and Carcillo were invisible. Shelly needs to watch wtf he's doing as pucks slide infront of him to the opposing offense.

Zherdev had some serious speed, but lacked the control. When he gets his feet under him again, I think he will be very dangerous. The entire play which led to his goal was magnificent.

JVR wins the night. Hope to see more of the same.

Leino tried to be fancy with the puck but his skates got in the way.

The biggest glaring issue I saw was how the Lightning basically smothered the Flyers as the game went on. Everytime the Flyers got deep, everytime they came into the zone, everytime they took a shot, there was a body, a stick, or two bodies there to get in the way or force the play to the outside.

Powerplay is abysmal...but we all knew that. Luckily this year, my ticket plan has me sitting with some other guys who actually PLAY hockey. Now when the rest of the center is screaming SHOOT...when theres no lane to shoot...the 6 of us can laugh and continue on enjoying the game...

Also..... 4 x 6. You're professionals. FOUR BY SIX!

PS - Gagne was wearing the wrong colored jersey. That is all.

Last edited by Subject Orange: 10-15-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: other glaring issue.
Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:49 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Yeah, dead wrong your right. I dont know anything. Not 1 person cancelled their season tickets because they are unhappy with the nhl and the product. If you really think it isnt a reason people have nto renwed, than to use your phrase, you dont know anything. Then again it is all the economies fault. No other variables at all involved. My apologies.
Go find me one scrap of evidence that indicates Flyers fans are cancelling their season tickets - or just not buying - because they don't like the game. And even if there is a very small minority of people who are cancelling for that reason, I'm sure there are enough new fans to replace them, especially given this team's recent success.

The economy isn't the single factor, but it is the probably the biggest and if "people being fed up with the product," are even really a factor at all, I promise you that's the smallest one by far.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:55 PM
jb**

Quote:
Go find me one scrap of evidence that indicates Flyers fans are cancelling their season tickets - or just not buying - because they don't like the game. And even if there is a very small minority of people who are cancelling for that reason, I'm sure there are enough new fans to replace them, especially given this team's recent success.

The economy isn't the single factor, but it is the probably the biggest and if "people being fed up with the product," are even really a factor at all, I promise you that's the smallest one by far.
Their is no evidence, i made it all up. You caught me. Your blind just like Bettman, it is all the economy. nothing to do with how the game is now played. Go ask the flyers marketing dept, when they call up ticket holders begging them to return, why they canceled their tickets. There is your little weekend project. Let me know how you make out. I expect a report by Tuesday.

Old
10-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Their is no evidence, i made it all up. You caught me. Your blind just like Bettman, it is all the economy. nothing to do with how the game is now played. Go ask the flyers marketing dept, when they call up ticket holders begging them to return, why they canceled their tickets. There is your little weekend project. Let me know how you make out. I expect a report by Tuesday.
Actually, since you are the one who broached the subject, you should do the legwork. Until that happens, your theories are suspect. iAppel and I have told you other reasons.

It's all conjecture at this point, but your coming off as a bitter fan (blaming the team's fortunes on the ice despite their appearance in the Stanley Cup Final this past summer) leads me to believe that you *want* it to be because you are dissatisfied with the front office.

Old
10-15-2010, 03:08 PM
jb**

Quote:
Actually, since you are the one who broached the subject, you should do the legwork. Until that happens, your theories are suspect. iAppel and I have told you other reasons.

It's all conjecture at this point, but your coming off as a bitter fan (blaming the team's fortunes on the ice despite their appearance in the Stanley Cup Final this past summer) leads me to believe that you *want* it to be because you are dissatisfied with the front office.
that is a real good profile you drew there. I dont need to do the legwork. I know what part of the reason is why people have not renewed. You dont believe it, no biggie, than find out for yourself.

Old
10-15-2010, 03:22 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
I dont need to do the legwork. I know what part of the reason is why people have not renewed.
Did someone really just say that?

I remember I had an argument like that in kindergarden about what type of paste was best to eat. I swore that is was Elmer's, but they argued that it was some no name brand that our teacher didn't even keep in the classroom.

The argument ended when he said that he had actually never tasted that paste and has no plans on ever tasting that paste, but he just KNEW that it would taste better than Elmer's does.

I actually still see a therapist as I attempt to recover from this incident, it has quite literally scarred me for life so bad that no paste could ever seal the wound.

Old
10-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
that is a real good profile you drew there. I dont need to do the legwork. I know what part of the reason is why people have not renewed. You dont believe it, no biggie, than find out for yourself.
I think we're done here.

Old
10-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Did someone really just say that?

I remember I had an argument like that in kindergarden about what type of paste was best to eat. I swore that is was Elmer's, but they argued that it was some no name brand that our teacher didn't even keep in the classroom.

The argument ended when he said that he had actually never tasted that paste and has no plans on ever tasting that paste, but he just KNEW that it would taste better than Elmer's does.

I actually still see a therapist as I attempt to recover from this incident, it has quite literally scarred me for life so bad that no paste could ever seal the wound.

*PM's agrudez for his therapist's number*