HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Laviolette Continute Alternating Goalies?

View Poll Results: Will the goalies alternate games?
Yes 41 69.49%
No 18 30.51%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-15-2010, 08:58 AM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I agree with you, there are some SERIOUS touchy feely liberal types on this here forum that WORRY about everything it seems.Bottom line is Bobrovsky is a goalie, he LOVES it, its in his blood, coach Lavy and Reese say the kid would practice 8hrs a day if you let him..To worry about is energy level is almost laughable to me ! Some of you cats should join the military and you would be SHOCKED as to how much you can do in a day for weeks on end.
Too much couch potato liberal frat boy mentality on this here board at times. Let Bobrovsky go for it, if he faulters badly then certainly he may need to go down to the AHL etc.....But just let the young lad do what his lifelong dream has been since his childhood and that is to play goal in the NHL.
Let's try not to diminish a rational hockey conversation by panning an entire segment of the board with insulting comments about their political beliefs or way of life, eh?

It really makes you sound unintelligent when you can't try to prove a point without resulting to personal bashing or acting condescending. You're not better than any of us here on this board just because we disagree with your mentality and aren't in the military.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I'm going to go ahead and lump some things in the thread:

Laviolette needs to:

1) Decide on a clear cut starter at least until Leighton gets back. Bob gets my vote.
2) Get 2 solid PP units... sooner would be better.
3) Get Carcillo back on 3rd/4th line. He obviously cannot hang on first line.
4) Find some way to utilize Shelley or throw him down a flight of stairs (LTIR).

JVR - Richards - Carter
Leino - Briere - Hartnell
Carcillo - Giroux - Zherdev
Nodl - Betts - Powe
Shelley

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
O'Donnell-Mezaros

Bobrovsky
Boosh

I agree with what you are saying but no way Nodl gets a start over Carcillo or Shelley on the 4th line during the regular seasson. This may be a situation where Laviolette has to cut the theory that three "scoring" lines are the way to go and Carter may have to move back to center while Richards takes on more of a captain role by anchoring a line with some more grit but not counted on to provide the scoring depth, plus utilize him on the PP/PK.

JvR-Carter-Zherdev
Leino-Giroux-Briere
Powe-Richards-Hartnell
Shelley-Betts-Carcillo

And get Bobrovsky some back to back starts in games with meaning, let Bouch hit up the Isles and the dregs of the league, but put Bobrovsky in games against top competition.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:32 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I agree with what you are saying but no way Nodl gets a start over Carcillo or Shelley on the 4th line during the regular seasson. This may be a situation where Laviolette has to cut the theory that three "scoring" lines are the way to go and Carter may have to move back to center while Richards takes on more of a captain role by anchoring a line with some more grit but not counted on to provide the scoring depth, plus utilize him on the PP/PK.

JvR-Carter-Zherdev
Leino-Giroux-Briere
Powe-Richards-Hartnell
Shelley-Betts-Carcillo

And get Bobrovsky some back to back starts in games with meaning, let Bouch hit up the Isles and the dregs of the league, but put Bobrovsky in games against top competition.
I'm not entirely sure I mess with Briere right now, he's continued to stay hot. But I like the idea of maybe giving Richards more of a shutdown role, and letting him get plenty of PP time. I mean, what first made him a dangerous scorer was that he was so good at generating offense from his defensive assignments...I think that he can get back to that.

Oh, and let Bobs start playing some back to back games. Not too many in a row, but at this point I think the ball has to be given to him to run with. Boosh demonstrated last night that he's going to remain inconsistent even with fairly regimented alternating games, so at this point I say it's time to give Bobocop the lion's share of the starts and see if he can make a go of it, but keep him on a leash in terms of playing time. As we saw with JVR, it's a huge leap going from playing < 40 games a season to dealing with the NHL grind.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I'm not entirely sure I mess with Briere right now, he's continued to stay hot. But I like the idea of maybe giving Richards more of a shutdown role, and letting him get plenty of PP time. I mean, what first made him a dangerous scorer was that he was so good at generating offense from his defensive assignments...I think that he can get back to that.

Oh, and let Bobs start playing some back to back games. Not too many in a row, but at this point I think the ball has to be given to him to run with. Boosh demonstrated last night that he's going to remain inconsistent even with fairly regimented alternating games, so at this point I say it's time to give Bobocop the lion's share of the starts and see if he can make a go of it, but keep him on a leash in terms of playing time. As we saw with JVR, it's a huge leap going from playing < 40 games a season to dealing with the NHL grind.
Agree with everything you said, but this is the quandry that Laviolette is currently in, too many guys who need to play at that position. So in moving guys I tried to put Briere with two players who I think would complement his style of play. JvR is playing like he is the best player on the team. Bobrovsky still needs to be kept on a short leash, but it certainly would benefit his progress if he is playing in back-to-back games.

Old
10-15-2010, 11:34 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

I agree with whoever said to start bob 3-4 games in a row and boosh to spell him ever once in a while until leight gets back. once leights back i'd love to see bob and leight split starts and waive boosh...

4thline4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:

JvR-Carter-Zherdev
Leino-Giroux-Briere
Powe-Richards-Hartnell
Shelley-Betts-Carcillo

I completely disagree about Nodl. Shelley might as well be a stack of 1.1M dollars cash sitting on the bench all game unless the game gets "chippy"... otherwise he is useless. Nodl has upside and speed. I think he would fit in better with Powe-Betts and Lavi's ultra aggressive system. Just my opinion.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:34 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
I completely disagree about Nodl. Shelley might as well be a stack of 1.1M dollars cash sitting on the bench all game unless the game gets "chippy"... otherwise he is useless. Nodl has upside and speed. I think he would fit in better with Powe-Betts and Lavi's ultra aggressive system. Just my opinion.
I completely agree with you, for the record.

I would rather see any of Nodl, Holmstrom, or even Testuide over Shelley. Guy is useless.

Old
10-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Quote:
I completely agree with you, for the record.

I would rather see any of Nodl, Holmstrom, or even Testuide over Shelley. Guy is useless.
Holmstrom to play with Giroux Zherdev and JvR to move up with Carter and Richards, tehn move Carcillo to 4th line......this could work in the playoffs, but for now Shelley serves his purpose.

Old
10-15-2010, 04:34 PM
DickTony

Quote:
Holmstrom to play with Giroux Zherdev and JvR to move up with Carter and Richards, tehn move Carcillo to 4th line......this could work in the playoffs, but for now Shelley serves his purpose.
Shelley has yet to serve his purpose. 4 games. No fights. He literally can't do ANYTHING else.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
Shelley has yet to serve his purpose. 4 games. No fights. He literally can't do ANYTHING else.
Not true. He does a nice Keith Jones impersonation, running over the opposing goalie.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:41 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Not true. He does a nice Keith Jones impersonation, running over the opposing goalie.
Shelley has played pretty bad, true, but that goalie interference was a weak ass call.

Anyway, was anyone expecting anything different from him? I'm surprised he didn't fight in the home opener (I forget, was Koci dressed for the Avs?), but we all knew what he brings.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Shelley has played pretty bad, true, but that goalie interference was a weak ass call.

Anyway, was anyone expecting anything different from him? I'm surprised he didn't fight in the home opener (I forget, was Koci dressed for the Avs?), but we all knew what he brings.
I thought it was weak, too. I still don't understand Homer's thinking this team had a perceived "need" for him. They made it just fine through the season with Cote scratched for most games last year.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 05:36 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post

Veteran presence? Unnecessary cap hit? I think that's about the only two things I was chalking up for him, and one of them is of highly questionable value (i.e. possibly nonexistent).

Old
10-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Presently, Shelley skates less than 5 minutes a game and looks lost the entire time. I would rather get one of the youngins in there earlier so they could be more comfortable / develop better chemistry by April. Is it a crime to rely on your farm system? Even the Chileans can bring people up from the miners.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:13 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Veteran presence? Unnecessary cap hit? I think that's about the only two things I was chalking up for him, and one of them is of highly questionable value (i.e. possibly nonexistent).
More so the latter than the former.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:22 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Im confused. How does Shelly playing 4 minutes a night serve a purpose? Oh and I dont think he is striking much fear into the other team sitting on the bench for 56 minutes out of a 60 minute game.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:27 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Im confused. How does Shelly playing 4 minutes a night serve a purpose? Oh and I dont think he is striking much fear into the other team sitting on the bench for 56 minutes out of a 60 minute game.
They know he's on that bench, man. Show me a man who says he isn't afraid to take runs when Jody Shelley MIGHT be on the ice some time in the next half hour, and I'll show you a liar. And probably a player who actually serves a purpose...but mostly a liar.

Old
10-16-2010, 02:17 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Let's try not to diminish a rational hockey conversation by panning an entire segment of the board with insulting comments about their political beliefs or way of life, eh?

It really makes you sound unintelligent when you can't try to prove a point without resulting to personal bashing or acting condescending. You're not better than any of us here on this board just because we disagree with your mentality and aren't in the military.
If i came across as arrogant, or as a know it all etc, i respectfully apoligize to anyone offended, for such was not meant to degrade nor demean anyone personally. My statement about the military was nothing more than my simply solidifying the point that a young 22 year old that loves his position as goalie will not be overburdened by playing a lot of games, and folks who worry that he will or might not be up to it, would be blown away by how much a person can do and perform for long stretches under horrid conditions as military members do day in day out, as compared to a young NHL goalie who may play 3 or 4 games a week ? I think the lad can handle it just fine .....I am not in the military, i retired after 20 years of service in 1998. [ I am old school i suppose and please don't be offended by any light hearted ribbing on my part folks, just having fun stirring the pot a little. ] Go Flyers.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:00 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
They know he's on that bench, man. Show me a man who says he isn't afraid to take runs when Jody Shelley MIGHT be on the ice some time in the next half hour, and I'll show you a liar. And probably a player who actually serves a purpose...but mostly a liar.
If they'll run a player with either Pronger, O'Donnell, Mez, Powe, Carcillo, Richards, or Hartnell on the ice, do you really think Shelley is intimidating someone?

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:53 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
If i came across as arrogant, or as a know it all etc, i respectfully apoligize to anyone offended, for such was not meant to degrade nor demean anyone personally. My statement about the military was nothing more than my simply solidifying the point that a young 22 year old that loves his position as goalie will not be overburdened by playing a lot of games, and folks who worry that he will or might not be up to it, would be blown away by how much a person can do and perform for long stretches under horrid conditions as military members do day in day out, as compared to a young NHL goalie who may play 3 or 4 games a week ? I think the lad can handle it just fine .....I am not in the military, i retired after 20 years of service in 1998. [ I am old school i suppose and please don't be offended by any light hearted ribbing on my part folks, just having fun stirring the pot a little. ] Go Flyers.
No offense, but what people in the military endure isn't like this at all. Soldiers are mentally broken and then rebuilt within a certain image to be "combat ready." If you put an NHL player through the kind of physical and mental rigors that the military requires, you would break them of their passions and I promise you they would not maintain the mental acuity needed to do what they do.

All you're offering is an opinion based on what people in the military can do from a purely physical standpoint. The rigors of military training are mentally exhaustive and generally not terribly conducive to mental well-being, according to some light reading I've done, but mostly the many former/present servicemen I know, including many in my family. The effects of being pushed as hard as they were, in some cases, have had tragic results.

Your cavalier attitude about letting Bobrovsky just keep playing isn't really taking into account the whole picture. It's not about whether or not he has the energy to be on the ice for 3-5 games a week; it's about whether or not he can sustain his mental focus, and general well-being while adjusting to everything. The kid is learning to deal with a lot of things right now; tax him too heavily and he will get burnt out.

Don't you think that his coaches - who kick him off the ice after practice so he doesn't spend ten hours a day working - know better than you about the pressures of that kind of workload, and are kicking him off the ice for a reason?

It's just not good for him to be playing as much as you so nonchalantly suggest...and what people in the armed forces are capable of accomplishing is really irrelevant. Comparing, say, boot camp to an NHL schedule is apples to oranges at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
If they'll run a player with either Pronger, O'Donnell, Mez, Powe, Carcillo, Richards, or Hartnell on the ice, do you really think Shelley is intimidating someone?
I think I forgot the in the post you're responding to. Shelley is useless.

Old
10-16-2010, 01:17 PM
CerpinTaxt

Awesome article on Bobrovsky

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...-ice?ref=yahoo

my fave quotes

Quote:
Bobrovsky says it didn't come as a surprise to him that he would get the start in the Flyers season opener.

"I was prepared for the season with the Flyers and I was ready to play. It didn't surprise me when I heard that I would play. Though maybe it was a surprise for many fans."
already talking bout fans.
Quote:
Bobrovsky says he hasn't been homesick. He hasn't had time for that.

"Honestly, I don't have time to be bored. It's a completely different life here and I've jumped right into it."
The guy is super focused, which is awesome. I also like the swagger this guy has. I say we roll Bob for a couple of games. Dont think it would hurt him in any bit

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

The thing i like about Bobrovsky is his attitude. The first guy at the rink the last guy to leave. When you have natural talent and you apply yourself like that good thing will happen. BTW somebody needs to give his girlfriend her visa.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Unfortunately, all evidence points towards otherwise. Look at Quick last season. Not just goalies but players in general take at least a season or two to adjust to the NHL season. KHL and US College players simply are not used to the grind. To expect Bob to play more than 40 or 50 games (including playoffs) without getting fatigued is pretty optimistic.

When people voice concerns they are not making up ********, there is plenty of evidence to support the claim that young players get burned out over the course of the NHL season.

Also, why are you comparing military service with playing a professional sport? They are two completely different concepts with virtually nothing in common.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 06:00 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
No offense, but what people in the military endure isn't like this at all. Soldiers are mentally broken and then rebuilt within a certain image to be "combat ready." If you put an NHL player through the kind of physical and mental rigors that the military requires, you would break them of their passions and I promise you they would not maintain the mental acuity needed to do what they do.

All you're offering is an opinion based on what people in the military can do from a purely physical standpoint. The rigors of military training are mentally exhaustive and generally not terribly conducive to mental well-being, according to some light reading I've done, but mostly the many former/present servicemen I know, including many in my family. The effects of being pushed as hard as they were, in some cases, have had tragic results.

Your cavalier attitude about letting Bobrovsky just keep playing isn't really taking into account the whole picture. It's not about whether or not he has the energy to be on the ice for 3-5 games a week; it's about whether or not he can sustain his mental focus, and general well-being while adjusting to everything. The kid is learning to deal with a lot of things right now; tax him too heavily and he will get burnt out.

Don't you think that his coaches - who kick him off the ice after practice so he doesn't spend ten hours a day working - know better than you about the pressures of that kind of workload, and are kicking him off the ice for a reason?

It's just not good for him to be playing as much as you so nonchalantly suggest...and what people in the armed forces are capable of accomplishing is really irrelevant. Comparing, say, boot camp to an NHL schedule is apples to oranges at best.

I think I forgot the in the post you're responding to. Shelley is useless.
You make some good points, and i understand completely about the mental aspect of goal tending and other positions as well.I just sense that Bobrovsky is very passionate about his job, and believe it or not them type people feel more stress etc when just sitting and thinking about things too much.When you really like doing something or are passionate about something etc, you do not feel fatigue, stress etc like you do when doing other things you dislike or that bore you etc.

My military comparison really has nothing to do with the boot camp part of military activities, but more to do with war time ops for months on end working 12 hrs shifts 7 days a week keeping fighter jets in the air so they can kill the enemy effectively.I have seen young 22 year olds perform beautifully day in and day out for very long periods under terrible conditions.....I think BOB will do just fine both mentally and physically if he lives a good lifestyle, gets proper rest, and eats properly.He may sooner or later end up in the AHL for a while, you never know ? But he seems to be handling pressure very well in my opinion, and he can shake off a bad moment pretty quickly which is a big plus for a goalies mental health.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote