HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers PP - YIKES! (in a bad way)

Old
10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
Flyers PP - YIKES! (in a bad way)

It is in a MAJOR funk - hasn't been good for a long time.

O'Donnell says they should just use the points as oppose to trying to be fancy in the zone.

5-3 and nothing doing?!

What did you see as a problem(s)?

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Cartsiephan*

It will work itself out, the PP is about timing and puck movement. They need more commitment to get the puck to the net from the points with plaeyrs willing to crash the crease and hit home the rebounds. Many PP goals are not things of beauty or skill, but just being in the right place at the right time, it is one of the things that Gagne was so good at....right place, right time, and a good finish.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Mgkibbles

The problem is the puck movement, its not sharp. You can't miss passes, or throw wild passes into teammates skates on a PP. Some of sloppiness could be traced back to Richards taking over Pronger's PP point position during Prongs rehab, but now that the big gun is back on the point I think we'll see the Flyers get back on track in the next couple games.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:55 PM
agrudez*

2 things that need to be fixed ASAP.

1) move Richards off the point, he hasn't looked good there so far this season, he was just getting really comfortable on the halfboards last season.

2) make more consistent lines, I swear every PP I see different guys, how are they supposed to build chemistry?

This is what I want to see:

first unit:

Briere - behind the net
Richards - right half wall
Timonen - left half wall
Carter - slot
Carle - top of point

This unit has play gets cycled through Briere and Richards from halfway to behind the net trying to open up space for Carter's shot. Carle and Timonen are there because they are both VERY good at pinching and keeping pucks in the zone, imo.

second unit:

Hartnell - in front of the net
JVR - slot/in front of the net
Giroux- halfwall
Meszaros - top of circle 1
Pronger - top of circle 2

This unit has Hartnell and JVR digging pucks out of the corner to Giroux who either finds JVR in the slot or gives it back to the two cannons at the blue line who will proceed to blast away with screens.

If stuff isn't working or people need a spell Leino can alternate for Giroux and Richards on the half wall and Zherdev can alternate for Carter in the slot.

The point being, give them some consistency Lavi.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:03 PM
McNasty

I'm not really worried about the powerplay, it's not uncommon (especially for the Flyers) that the power play starts slow. They just look rusty out there that's all.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:16 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

This PP desperately needs to play the Isles to get some confidence.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:45 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

I honestly do not like having Carter and Richards on the ice together -- 5-on-5 or PP -- but whatever.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:38 PM
mm6492

The PP is all about timing and once they get some confidence, it will come together. It has looked bad now, but I would venture to guess that it will soon start to pick it up a little.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
The PP is all about timing and once they get some confidence, it will come together. It has looked bad now, but I would venture to guess that it will soon start to pick it up a little.
Plus once Pronger's slap shot from the point is back on track it is a huge boost, plus the one nice addition of Meszaros is he does have a solid one-timer from the point, hard and low...and on net!!!!

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:25 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

This is something that REALLY hit home last night.

In four games, we are 1 for 17 on the PP; ranked 27th.

That's a 5.9%.

Ottawa is 5.6% (1/18) while both Montreal (0/9) and Florida (0/11) are 0.0%.

Last season we were 3rd with 21.4% (68/317) in the regular season; 7th in the playoffs at 21.9% (23/105).

In 2008-09 we were 6th with 22.5% (71/316) in the regular season; 10th in the playoffs at 13.3% (4/30).

In 2007-08 we were 2nd with 21.8% (84/385) in the regular season; 4th in the playoffs at 22.5% (15/67).

As the years have gone on, we've been less and less reliant on the PP to win games. Right now we are finding ways to win when our PP is sucking triumphantly. In fact, other than some shoddy play by Boucher, that's the only legitimate issue to complain out. Sure the Richards-Carter line lacks the punch it should with two stars, but the powerplay production is the biggest issue far and away. We score on the PP with any kind of decent regularity in these first few games, we're fairly easily 4-0-0.

That's a good sign, and 2-1-1 isn't all that bad. No reason to panic. If I remember correctly, our PP has always started slow. Let's hope we get into rhythm soon because we don't want to flirt .500 this year for long.

The biggest thing I've seen so far is that we're just not getting a lot of those garbage goals. We're a team known for garbage goals. We need to attack the net a little more, and perhaps get some bounces. Let's hope our PP comes out to shine on Saturday for the big game. We're overdue for a huge burst from the PP.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:33 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This is something that REALLY hit home last night.

In four games, we are 1 for 17 on the PP; ranked 27th.

That's a 5.9%.

Ottawa is 5.6% (1/18) while both Montreal (0/9) and Florida (0/11) are 0.0%.

Last season we were 3rd with 21.4% (68/317) in the regular season; 7th in the playoffs at 21.9% (23/105).

In 2008-09 we were 6th with 22.5% (71/316) in the regular season; 10th in the playoffs at 13.3% (4/30).

In 2007-08 we were 2nd with 21.8% (84/385) in the regular season; 4th in the playoffs at 22.5% (15/67).

As the years have gone on, we've been less and less reliant on the PP to win games. Right now we are finding ways to win when our PP is sucking triumphantly. In fact, other than some shoddy play by Boucher, that's the only legitimate issue to complain out. Sure the Richards-Carter line lacks the punch it should with two stars, but the powerplay production is the biggest issue far and away. We score on the PP with any kind of decent regularity in these first few games, we're fairly easily 4-0-0.

That's a good sign, and 2-1-1 isn't all that bad. No reason to panic. If I remember correctly, our PP has always started slow. Let's hope we get into rhythm soon because we don't want to flirt .500 this year for long.

The biggest thing I've seen so far is that we're just not getting a lot of those garbage goals. We're a team known for garbage goals. We need to attack the net a little more, and perhaps get some bounces. Let's hope our PP comes out to shine on Saturday for the big game. We're overdue for a huge burst from the PP.
I know it doesn't happen that regularly, but I agree with literally everything you've said here. Good analysis, sir.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 05:52 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Eh, four games in, five points, not a concern just yet. Every power play is going to slump from time to time. Flyers are getting out of the gate slow and will slump again later, just like every other team.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Jester

It's been 4 games.

PPs go into 4 game funks (and hot streaks) all the friggin time.

Wait til the quarter pole before sounding the alarms on any of this stuff... as long as they're getting points right now, all is well. They need to work on it and improve, but 4 games is just 4 games.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:11 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's been 4 games.

Wait til the quarter pole before sounding the alarms on any of this stuff... as long as they're getting points right now, all is well. They need to work on it and improve, but 4 games is just 4 games.
I understand and don't argue with what you are saying, but when a team goes 1-17 in JUST 4 games with 5-3's in there it's not a good sign, esp. with all the fire power we have at our disposal.

I think they should just stick to trying to do one thing well, it seems they are all over the place out there, due to the constant change of players.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:13 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Eh, four games in, five points, not a concern just yet. Every power play is going to slump from time to time. Flyers are getting out of the gate slow and will slump again later, just like every other team.
This and what Jester said. We're one week into the season. Toronto is undefeated, Pittsburgh is in the basement. A lot will change over the next few weeks, including our powerplay numbers.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:31 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Quote:
It's been 4 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
This and what Jester said. We're one week into the season. Toronto is undefeated, Pittsburgh is in the basement. A lot will change over the next few weeks, including our powerplay numbers.
All very wise sentiments.

It's never good to see your power play fail to convert when you have 5-on-3s thrown into the mix, but at the end of the day, any statistical analysis (PP% included) this early in the season means nothing.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Flyerfan808

Laviolette seems to still be auditioning for the PP. I am not pressing the panic button yet... I know ther is a lot of talent on this team and they will get their **** together. However, I think that changing PP lines on the fly needs to stop. Guys need to have more consistency, there are 10 seats at the table and Lavi needs to decide who gets them and roll with those combos.

I definately agree with Prongs / OD: Too much pretty stuff. Simplfy it.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:25 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
All very wise sentiments.

It's never good to see your power play fail to convert when you have 5-on-3s thrown into the mix, but at the end of the day, any statistical analysis (PP% included) this early in the season means nothing.
If they looked decent on the PP and just weren't capitalizing I would say that statistical analysis is a waste of time; however, they have looked like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off out there on the PP.

They need some consistency this early in the season, I honestly haven't seen the same PP combo a single time thus far.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:29 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I think they came to reason in the offseason that we're on the PK wayyyyy more than the PP and would practice scoring off of that instead

honestly though it's just a funk. Our PP is very good almost every season, and numerous times a season they hits long funks. We're just worried because we're starting the season with one.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 07:56 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
As long as the special teams as a whole aren't a drag on the team, you are ok. Sure, it would be great to get the PP going, but the Flyers are giving up 1 goal per 20 minutes of shorthanded time (1 goal per almost 40 minutes of 1 man down time), so as long as that continues the PP has time to figure it out.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I understand and don't argue with what you are saying, but when a team goes 1-17 in JUST 4 games with 5-3's in there it's not a good sign, esp. with all the fire power we have at our disposal.

I think they should just stick to trying to do one thing well, it seems they are all over the place out there, due to the constant change of players.
...yeah, that's what slumping PPs do. Just like slumping hitters in baseball go 1/17 in consecutive games all the time. That's why they call 'em slumps. If they were scoring goals, then you wouldn't even be bringing it up.

They'll be fine.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:49 PM
TheKingPin

need to be sharper with the passing and with the puck. only G is controling things well. Richards doesnt look focused. plus it seems like we are trying to be like the pens with the pretty plays when its obvious by their own pp that that doesnt work. get the puck to the point get guys infront and blast away.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 04:00 PM
TheLegendkiller

Its still better then the Pen's pp.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
...yeah, that's what slumping PPs do. Just like slumping hitters in baseball go 1/17 in consecutive games all the time. That's why they call 'em slumps. If they were scoring goals, then you wouldn't even be bringing it up.

They'll be fine.
If you lay your eye on a hitter who looks like he's completely lost his swing and one who is just in the middle of an anomalously unlucky stretch, you can see the difference, even though their stats might be the same. Granted, the powerplay data from a small sample size alone isn't worth much, but when you see the power play in action you can see that isn't clicking right now.

I think it's a legitimate and fair observation on the OP's part . . . nobody is sounding any alarms. I'm sure they'll get the kinks ironed out, the OP is just asking what everyone thinks they should do to make that happen.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Its still better then the Pen's pp.
Spoke too soon!

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote