HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

GAME 5: "Quiet Crowd" | Islanders @ Penguins | Fri, Oct 15, 2010 | 7:00 PM (et)

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2010, 08:43 PM
kodoshin

vCash: 500
Thank goodness.... still though this is one of those wins that feels like a loss.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:43 PM
High Flying Birds

Our wins don't feel like wins at all

Old
10-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
It's amazing what happens when you shoot on the PP.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:44 PM
cynic*

Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
DPietro acting dead for a moment there forgetting the puck is still in play.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:45 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Kinguin w/ the GDT win. We needed it.

Write-up is done.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Even the Isles announcers are bashing the officials.

Saying the Letang his was in absolutely no way a penalty, and the OT penalty was just as much of a joke. In both cases, I agree.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Write-up is done.
If this low-level spectacle can be called a win...

Old
10-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Dunno, man. Reflex? He's definitely a whipping boy... usually for no good reason.

I thought he had a damn solid game, even outside of the goal. He made some mistakes on the powerplay but nobody on the powerplay is exactly covering themselves with glory.

He's easily been one of the best Penguins so far, this season.
Absolutely. I don't see how anyone can complain about Gogo this year.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:50 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
What do Dipietro and a turtle have in common?

When they're both on their backs...they're ****ed.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
It's amazing what happens when you shoot on the PP.
Its amazing that the only time Dan Bylsma wants to see Malkin on the right point is on 4 on 3's. What is that - we can be a one timer PP on 4 on 3's but otherwise not? How much better does the PP look when Malkin is there, able and willing to shoot with opponents having to pay extra attention to prevent it - thus opening space elsewhere? How much of a bleeding idiot must one be to negate what has been one of our primary strengths for seasons on end?

Glad we got the win and it shouldn't have been close (it was because of the wrong Letang call), but we have SO many problems.

And it is just too easy to say that Geno and Sid have coal miners for linemates (also they don't play well at all, Sid in particular).
Letestu is proving to be a player. Comrie can make plays. Kunitz has been a 60 point player with Anaheim on their second line and is producing at that clip for us too. Kennedy with another very good game today. These guys obviously aren't stars that you can expect 25 goals from, but they could come to look like weapons if we looked like we had ANY idea what we were doing - just a third of the time. But we don't. We simply play atrocious hockey and no one can convince me it isn't mostly down to coaching - well, lack of it.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
One of the worst reffed games I've ever seen.

I'd be happier for the quick turn-around tomorrow if it wasn't for the fact we're playing the Flyers so my bloodlust will still be running high.

Gogo looks like he did last October right now...which is a very, very good thing. If he was playing like he did toward the end of last season with Orpik and Michalek out and Letang senselessly thrown out of the game we would have been in big trouble. Martin can't do everything himself...but Gogo has been a very pleasant surprise early on for the Pens this year. One of very few players I can say a whole lot of positive about right now.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Ugene Malkin
****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Write-up is done.
Ya, congrats Kinguin, that was a well deserved GDT win.

What did I say about my PP set up on my plan B. No one there for those rebounds. Today it results in the game winner.

Can't believe the refs made such a bad call on Letang, purely reactionary on a clean as a whistle play.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Ugene Malkin
****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
One of the worst reffed games I've ever seen.

I'd be happier for the quick turn-around tomorrow if it wasn't for the fact we're playing the Flyers so my bloodlust will still be running high.

Gogo looks like he did last October right now...which is a very, very good thing. If he was playing like he did toward the end of last season with Orpik and Michalek out and Letang senselessly thrown out of the game we would have been in big trouble. Martin can't do everything himself...but Gogo has been a very pleasant surprise early on for the Pens this year. One of very few players I can say a whole lot of positive about right now.
For some reason, I didn't put 2 an 2 together to think that the games tomorrow.

GOGO has been all on the + side for me. He's not perfect, but who is?

Old
10-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Ya, congrats Kinguin, that was a well deserved GDT win.

What did I say about my PP set up on my plan B. No one there for those rebounds. Today it results in the game winner.

Can't believe the refs made such a bad call on Letang, purely reactionary on a clean as a whistle play.
Thanks, folks.
I'm bitter today, though. What a bad game that was.
And refereeing was one of the worst in recent memory.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

Quick question. On the winning goal the sequence went Crosby to Malkin to Gogo back to Malkin who shoots then Gogo fires in the rebound, how does Crosby get a point on that? Is that proper scoring or just an error on the official scorers part?

I only ask because it affects my fantasy stats.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig991 View Post
Quick question. On the winning goal the sequence went Crosby to Malkin to Gogo back to Malkin who shoots then Gogo fires in the rebound, how does Crosby get a point on that? Is that proper scoring or just an error on the official scorers part?

No matter how many touches an individual guy have, the last two guys that touched the puck before the goal scorer get assists.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:28 PM
wtbipyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig991 View Post

Crosby doesn't deserve anything. He looks to just skate around the ice right now. He isn't going into corners and using his body like past years. He stole Geno's one-time position on the PP. It used to be that the puck stuck like glue to his stick...anyone seeing that now? I'm tired of watching Ovie highlights where he looks hungry and fires a sick wrister...only to see Sid fall into this lackluster sytle this year of thinking he has a booming slapper. What did he need to change or add that he didn't have last season?

Geno looks hungry, but has no one to help him.

Shoot me now, but sit Sid tomorrow against the Flyers and see how this team plays some quality hockey.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:31 PM
FDBluth

Crosby's not hurt. He's just not in it right now. He's confused. Like most of the team. It looks like no one has any idea what the heck is going on out there.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:35 PM
wtbipyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Crosby's not hurt. He's just not in it right now. He's confused. Like most of the team. It looks like no one has any idea what the heck is going on out there.
Agreed. I live in Greensboro, NC...so I watch a ton of Canes games. If the Pens could play with as much heart as these guys, then we'd be where we all thought we'd be to start the year. Our system is terrible, and has been for two seasons now. It's time our coach showed some emotion rather than stonefaced 24/7. You don't have to go Boudreau DB, but get pissed about the Letang call for cryin' out loud. Our team follows your lead...and when you let a guy take 3 (COUNT THEM 3) interference calls and you do nothing to him...your team loses respect for you. Our rookies are playing hard because they don't know any better, but our Vets are pissed at this system. ARG!

Why am I so pissy after a W??? GOSH!

Old
10-15-2010, 09:39 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
Why am I so pissy after a W??? GOSH!
Because it's not fun to watch this team, regardless of whether they win or not. It wasn't fun to watch them all of last year either, unless Crosby was in God mode.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
No matter how many touches an individual guy have, the last two guys that touched the puck before the goal scorer get assists.
Thanks for that. I never understood how they awarded secondary assists unless it is a tic tac toe type of play.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:46 PM
wtbipyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Because it's not fun to watch this team, regardless of whether they win or not. It wasn't fun to watch them all of last year either, unless Crosby was in God mode.
I hear ya man. Our system is so terrible right now. Sid has to be injured with the way he's playing ... or he's trying to get DB fired. His interview prior to the game today was about how we just need some bounces here and there....WHATEVER! He needs to Captain his team and get it right. Screw DB if he's the problem ... take over your team and do whats best! Play hard and others will play hard.

TK deserves to play with Sid on the first line ... and deserves WAY more ice time than Dupuis/Cooke/Talbot/Rupp, etc. He creates something almost every freakin' shift!

Old
10-15-2010, 09:48 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Absolutely. I don't see how anyone can complain about Gogo this year.
Gogo has really stepped up his 5 on 5 play. If he'd be as good, or even close to as good, on the PP, then he'd be firmly in that second tier of new generation of great young defensemen.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:49 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Its amazing that the only time Dan Bylsma wants to see Malkin on the right point is on 4 on 3's. What is that - we can be a one timer PP on 4 on 3's but otherwise not? How much better does the PP look when Malkin is there, able and willing to shoot with opponents having to pay extra attention to prevent it - thus opening space elsewhere? How much of a bleeding idiot must one be to negate what has been one of our primary strengths for seasons on end?

Glad we got the win and it shouldn't have been close (it was because of the wrong Letang call), but we have SO many problems.

And it is just too easy to say that Geno and Sid have coal miners for linemates (also they don't play well at all, Sid in particular).
Letestu is proving to be a player. Comrie can make plays. Kunitz has been a 60 point player with Anaheim on their second line and is producing at that clip for us too. Kennedy with another very good game today. These guys obviously aren't stars that you can expect 25 goals from, but they could come to look like weapons if we looked like we had ANY idea what we were doing - just a third of the time. But we don't. We simply play atrocious hockey and no one can convince me it isn't mostly down to coaching - well, lack of it.
THIS

Old
10-15-2010, 09:49 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Gogo has really stepped up his 5 on 5 play. If he'd be as good, or even close to as good, on the PP, then he'd be firmly in that second tier of new generation of great young defensemen.
That's not entirely his fault, though. The powerplay seems completely directionless right now. He's just a bystander in it all.

Closed Thread