HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey in Asia, hong kong, china, Thailand?

Old
10-15-2010, 08:17 PM
dynasty3

vCash: 500
Hockey in Asia, hong kong, china, Thailand?

Hey guys, thought I would throw a question out there for all of you. I am planning a trip right now(depending on cost) to head to Hong Kong, Thailand and Beijing between October 26th and November 8th. I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to play some hockey while in these areas. I do know there is a tournament in Bangkok on the 27th of October, so also, was wondering what the skill level is like and if they accept individual players to play on a team for the tourney.

Also, what is the skill level of mens leagues(beerleagues) in HK, Beijing or Thailand.

Any insight is appreciated.

If you may ask, I like to travel with my gear wherever I go, as I like to play wherever I can, just to say that "I played hockey in that country!". Especially cause I am a canadian born Asian.

Thanks guys/gals.

dynasty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Ricky Bobby

A good article on the Thailand tournament: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ey-venues.html

Its called the Land of Smiles tournament and is run every year at the end of October. I know quite a few guys who've played in it and all have said its an absolute blast. If your playing in the open division I hope you've at least played single A or double A hockey at some point.

Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taipei, Tokyo all have hockey leagues that largely consist of ex-pat Canadians and locals who usually have more roller hockey experience than ice hockey. I played in the Taipei league and it was a mix match of skills. Everything from guys who'd only played a couple of years up to guys that played junior/NCAA. All in all a great group of guys who were just looking to get together with friends play some hockey and have some drinks after.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:23 AM
AIREAYE

so I suppose you took my advice, did you check out the 'Hockey Talk by Country' board all the way down the main forum page?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:30 PM
greyraven8

Ever read Dave Bidini's "Tropic of Hockey" ?

As as rec player he went to unlikely places around the world to play hockey in 1999. He played on a rink on the 8th storey of a shopping mall in Hong Kong, in northen China in a city called Harbin, among other places.

You could even write him - at the end of the book it says

Please write:
PO Box 616
Station C
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M6J 3R9

Since it will probably take to long to write him and get a reply before your trip, he also has a web site that has his email:
http://www.rheostatics.ca/bidini/

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 04:30 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyraven8 View Post
Ever read Dave Bidini's "Tropic of Hockey" ?

As as rec player he went to unlikely places around the world to play hockey in 1999. He played on a rink on the 8th storey of a shopping mall in Hong Kong, in northen China in a city called Harbin, among other places.

You could even write him - at the end of the book it says

Please write:
PO Box 616
Station C
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M6J 3R9

Since it will probably take to long to write him and get a reply before your trip, he also has a web site that has his email:
http://www.rheostatics.ca/bidini/
dude, I mentioned that a few times on this board too lol, that's perhaps one of my all-time favorite non-fic books

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:20 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Not sure if you can just show up unless there is an open team/division.

I play in Dubai but havent participated in the tournements yet but usually the teams are set in advance with player from the league.

May work differently elsewhere.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I played in the Taipei league and it was a mix match of skills. Everything from guys who'd only played a couple of years up to guys that played junior/NCAA. All in all a great group of guys who were just looking to get together with friends play some hockey and have some drinks after.

Hmm, i wonder if we knew eachother. Drinks at the 7-11 after thursday nights are still standard practice. We've even got a new (tiny) rink in ximending suitable for 3 on 3.

The Taipei Typhoon won the bangkok tournament last year, they're going back to defend their title soon. it's pretty high level, which is one reason i'm not going along, heh.

To the OP... HK has a lot of hockey, but I'm not sure about how it works, how easy it is to show up and join in some shinny. Probably the same thing in Japan. Might have to do some extensive emailing to find a group that will let you play with them whenever they have regular ice.

Thailand I think is a small enough community that you can email someone you find online (the local expat group/team is called the flying farangs) and play shinny whenever they play.

Shanghai and Beijing and Shenzen (near HK) have teams too, you can do a bit of research and find their contact information pretty easily I think.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:35 PM
vexXed

Hey man. I'm from Hong Kong and play in a couple of leagues here.

You can guest for teams but you will need to clear it with the organizers beforehand. I suggest you go to the rink (called Mega Ice) in Kowloon Bay when they play to get an idea of the level. D1 play on Thursday nights, D2 on Mondays and D3 on Wednesdays. All from 8pm - 11pm, normally 4 games in that time span. The games are non-checking (contact inevitable though) and are much shorter than normal - 3x periods of 13 minutes each.

Basically D3 is a step up from beginners, D2 has a few good players mixed in with D3 peeps and D1 has quite a few expats playing as well as local players and they are all pretty good. Then again, I dunno how that compares to you over in Canada hence why you should go check it out.

Maybe you can guest for my team and help us out a little? We could do with some scoring

Here are some links to the leagues -

http://www.hkahc.com/eng/season_leag...-2011/news.htm

http://www.megaice.com.hk/index.php/news/390

Any questions let me know on here and I'll try and help you out.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote