HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brian Boyle Appreciation Thread

Old
10-16-2010, 04:10 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
It was bizarre that despite having an awesome showing in pre-season a lot of people still wanted Kennedy over Boyle. It was even worse that people were penciling Dupont into the 4th line center role over Boyle before camp started.

I swear, it's always two extremes with this fan base and bottom 6 players. They're either the best bottom 6 player ever (Orr, Ortmeyer, Moore, Prucha, Dawes, etc.) or they're the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Boyle deserves one IMO. I ragged on him quite a bit last season.

He has looked like a completely different beast ever since the pre-season. He's scoring, hitting, blocking shots and roughing it up.
That's the way he has to play every night.
he has been good. i bashed him too. to be honest. does anyone think he is better as a winger?? why wont they put him in front on the Powerplay?? he should get some PP time, rangers need to get dirty on their powerplay.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Boyle's been great. He's finally starting to use that pretty wicked wristshot of his. His stickhandling has certainly improved, it's actually somewhat respectable for a guy his size, and his skating is way, way better.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he put up some decent 3rd line production this season.

I never gave him any respect last year, but to be honest, he didn't deserve it. Was always behind giving him another year, though, so glad he's starting to step up. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:40 AM
KotsyJr
THE POWER OF CHRIST

Props to Boyle.

Let's hope he continues playing BIG this season. It's nice when he uses his size, gets physical, and a little nasty. If he keeps that up the rest of his game will be sure to follow.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKING33 View Post
Brian Boyle is my favorite, he is a leader and is a very large man that can skate well. I couldnt care less that he scored tonight, he does so much right every night and is under appreciated. In the first period i saw him try and cycle the puck with the boogieman and it never worked out because Boogard sucks and cant make a simple drop pass. If he is put int a third line situation with guys who can handle the puck he will excel and impress everybody. If he keeps playing the body, I am all about him staying on this team and having a major role even if it doesnt include a scoring touch
^
This.

I would still like him to get more physical, but his game is almost there. If he learns to finish his checks hard, he'll be a top-end third liner.

Who knows, maybe we don't need to acquire a center. Maybe Step-AA-Boyle can do the job on the top 3 lines (and if not, then maybe Ethan Werek can - he's been ripping the OHL apart with 10 points in the first 6 games).

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
mini-Lindros!!!!
haha Boyle's new name is Mindros.

He's really elevated his game so far. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:47 PM
nyr2417

1) 5 on 3 situations Boyle has got to be out there on the pk with his size and stick reach to block passing lanes to me it's a no brainer.

2) We should think about giving Boyle some PP time imo, stick him in front of the net he looks like he knows how to use his size now, and it appears his hands have improved

3) Re-sign him, I'd love to see our middle next year be Brad Richards, Anisimov, Stepan, Boyle. That's great up the middle.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan4390 View Post
I'd love to see our middle next year be Brad Richards, Anisimov, Stepan, Boyle. That's great up the middle.

And Drury will still be here too...

We don't need Brad. By the time Drury leaves, freeing up the cap space, hopefully Step will be ready as a third-year forward to take over first line duty.

If not, then we can sign someone at that point, and someone who'll be good then, not someone who may or may not be good in 2012-13. Brad will be 32 years old by then, I think we can get a younger, better, cheaper guy.

There's no need to get anyone now. It's not as if this team will be winning the Cup in the next couple of years.

Let the kids mature, see what you got then.

Old
10-16-2010, 01:21 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
And Drury will still be here too...

We don't need Brad. By the time Drury leaves, freeing up the cap space, hopefully Step will be ready as a third-year forward to take over first line duty.

If not, then we can sign someone at that point, and someone who'll be good then, not someone who may or may not be good in 2012-13. Brad will be 32 years old by then, I think we can get a younger, better, cheaper guy.

There's no need to get anyone now. It's not as if this team will be winning the Cup in the next couple of years.

Let the kids mature, see what you got then.
Problem is it's either we get the #1 center we need this off-season or we don't at all. There are ZERO center options in the 2012 ufa class when drury comes off the books. Penner is probably the best in that class

Old
10-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

Very glad Boyle is starting to turn it around for you guys. He has always been an offensive minded player and unfortunately the time he spent with the Kings they were trying to turn him into a physical grinder and/or defenseman. The same thing happened to David Steckel who is now an important part of the Capitals.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Problem is it's either we get the #1 center we need this off-season or we don't at all. There are ZERO center options in the 2012 ufa class when drury comes off the books. Penner is probably the best in that class

Ok, then we wait a year. It's not as if we will be contending in a couple of years. And if we will, we can always acquire a bad contract for little-to-nothing.

Yes, yes, we don't want bad contracts. But what do you think the contract will be for any first line center UFA?

People need to get their heads out of sand. All high-end UFAs are badly overpaid, always and everywhere. A high-end UFA will be a bad contract because if he had a good contract, the other 29 teams would not drop out of the bidding to acquire a star for free.

You always pay for players you acquire somehow: either with (a lot of valuable) assets or with an unreasonably high salary.

I know you want to sign a first line UFA for the price of an RFA, but it just ain't happening.

There's no need to rush to get a bad contract next summer. There will always be a bad contract to trade for whenever we need that contract to actually contend for the Stanley Cup.

Old
10-16-2010, 05:41 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Ok, then we wait a year. It's not as if we will be contending in a couple of years. And if we will, we can always acquire a bad contract for little-to-nothing.

Yes, yes, we don't want bad contracts. But what do you think the contract will be for any first line center UFA?

You always pay for players you acquire somehow: either with assets or with a higher salary.

I know you want to sign a first line UFA for the price of an RFA, but it just ain't happening.

There's no need to rush to get a bad contract next summer. There will always be a bad contract to trade for whenever we need that contract to actually contend for the Stanley Cup.
Our options are

A) Brad Richards for about 7-7.5 a year or

B) Tim Connolly for about 5 mill a year

I take Brad Richards and create a legitttt first line

Old
10-16-2010, 10:44 PM
mhurley

Quote:
All my life, ever since I was 6-7 years old, I always wondered why hockey players are not being trained to skate by former Olympic speed skaters and figure skaters.

If I ever ran a team, I would hire 1 speed skater and 1 figure skater to train my team. It's different type of skating, but there are many things that professional skaters can train hockey players.

Notice that European players often will use their feet in a soccer-like move to do something useful. Same can be with getting training from professional skaters.

Boyle's "Great Success" shows that this is clearly the case.
THANK YOU

I am a figure skater and I cannot count how many time I have said this.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

what bothers me the most is people wanted to give up on him so fast.....people dont realize last year was his first full nhl season...it wasnt like he came over in a trade as an established veteran...hed played something like 24 games.

Looks great so far this year and i really have high hopes....last night it wasnt even about the scoring too....he was noticeable before that throwing his body around constantly....guy is a monster when he wants to be

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:47 AM
HoosierDaddy

Mindros...haha :)

I've always preferred big guys on the 3rd-4th line and thought he's was decent enough. This year, in addition to the creativity and skating I'm liking the physicality. I saw him jawing with Orr and kept thinking, please don't go there. I think the light was switched on over the summer and we now have an excellent asset.

Mindros...too funny.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Very glad Boyle is starting to turn it around for you guys. He has always been an offensive minded player and unfortunately the time he spent with the Kings they were trying to turn him into a physical grinder and/or defenseman. The same thing happened to David Steckel who is now an important part of the Capitals.
agreed.

id love to see Boyle get some PP time in front of the goalie, i think he can help there too

Old
10-17-2010, 08:31 AM
NYRfan68

honestly, I'd try him between Gaborik when he gets back and Frolov. Boyle has looked like a top 6 winger. If he can keep it up, we may be suprised at how good he is. he was a 1st round pick and PFs develop late.

NYRfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
penner i wouldnt mind for a 2 year deal. but if he wants long term like 7 years then no thanks. rangers need more size on the wing that can actually play top 6 minutes

Old
10-18-2010, 09:33 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Not to be negative, but shouldn't we wait a couple weeks? Voros started out great that year too...

I was losing my mind watching him play Toronto, and I'd undoubtedly wear a Rangers Blue #22 on my back if he keeps it up.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
If I could have any player come and tie it all together on the offense it would be Penner. (Not for those of you who live and die by regular season play and stats)
He's a skilled monster who is the opposite of a liability.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
he has played into his frame a bit better, but it is hard to attribute his two goals to anything other than god awful goaltending by JS Giggy

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:45 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Not to be negative, but shouldn't we wait a couple weeks? Voros started out great that year too...

I was losing my mind watching him play Toronto, and I'd undoubtedly wear a Rangers Blue #22 on my back if he keeps it up.
EXACTLY MY POINT in every other one of these relativly premature appreciation threads. I guarante there's at least two new ones up after this game for whoever scores a goal or maybe even if someone has an assist.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote