HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie is a healthy scratch?

Old
10-15-2010, 12:45 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
And it happened with Ponikarovsky last year too. And with Satan and Sykora before that. Why is it so hard for skilled players to play here?
Satan and Sykora were on their last legs in terms of what they could bring to a new NHL. We used every last ounce of juice out of them and they played a small role in getting us to a Stanley Cup. Natural scorers without much speed or grit are useless the second they stop becoming scorers. The fact that neither have jobs right now has less to do with horribly****ttycoaching by the Pens than the actual fact that they're no longer good players.

Ask most Leaf fans right now and they'll tell you they're glad to be rid of Ponikarovsky, who's doing fantastic in L.A. I hear. Getting some decent stats when you're the best option from a ton of bad ones on a horrible Leaf team doesn't mean you're that good a player.

Give it a rest...please

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Satan and Sykora were on their last legs in terms of what they could bring to a new NHL. We used every last ounce of juice out of them and they played a small role in getting us to a Stanley Cup. Natural scorers without much speed or grit are useless the second they stop becoming scorers. The fact that neither have jobs right now has less to do with horribly****ttycoaching by the Pens than the actual fact that they're no longer good players.

Ask most Leaf fans right now and they'll tell you they're glad to be rid of Ponikarovsky, who's doing fantastic in L.A. I hear. Getting some decent stats when you're the best option from a ton of bad ones on a horrible Leaf team doesn't mean you're that good a player.

Give it a rest...please
So who was the dumb one, Shero for trading for such an awful player, or Bylsma for not using him correctly?

Just want you to clear it up because it seems that both are beyond reproach to you.

I want to know why you're so willing to defend a coach who has shown absolutely nothing once he was able to put his stamp on the team. We're talking about a guy who made all the worst hirings and a 2nd round exit to a 8th seeded team and now off to a 1-3 start only managing to beat a team that had to ice 15 players.

What on earth do you see that is so freaking amazing about Dan Bylsma?

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Dan Barr

He's the coach, so he knows what's best, apparently.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:09 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
We're talking about a guy who made all the worst hirings and a 2nd round exit to a 8th seeded team and now off to a 1-3 start only managing to beat a team that had to ice 15 players.
Even that game was a ****-show.

When you get badly outplayed by a team late in the game that is sporting 15 skaters... that's not really a great sign.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:36 PM
cassius

So I heard that Comrie was infact a healthy scratch... and he wasn't injured or anything.

Is that not the most ridiculous thing ever? Why the hell would you have Godard in the lineup over a guy like Comrie? If that isn't inept coaching.. then I don't know what is.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Actually we have hundrets of cheeses, so chances are, at least one of them smells like Lindbergher.
Touche. Well if anyone finds a swiss cheese with holes in it that has a funky smell, let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
I read Bylsma's comments about how Comrie has been getting chances but not winning battles. I still think it's a bad decision, but I'll wait to see how Bylsma uses Comrie in the next few games before I go off the deep end
My favorite part was how he said chemistry was not an important factor in how he determines lines / which lines stay out there. That's ****ing genius, Dan. You're losing it, dude. Hockey 101 there. Hell why don't we just do this if Chemistry doesn't matter:

Rupp - Sid - TK
Dupuis - Geno - Godard
Cooke - Adams - Talbot
Kunitz - Letestu - Comrie
Tangradi

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 10-15-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:49 PM
pucks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Touche. Well if anyone finds a swiss cheese with holes in it that has a funky smell, let us know.

My favorite part was how he said chemistry was not an important factor in how he determines lines / which lines stay out there. That's ****ing genius, Dan.
I couldnt belive i heard those words come out of his mouth.

pucks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:53 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

After this Islanders game and a big fat 0-7 on the power play and the down and out idiotic "coaching" decisions. I am 100% convinced now that Bylsma is NOT a good coach and a complete moron.

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:25 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
So who was the dumb one, Shero for trading for such an awful player, or Bylsma for not using him correctly?

Just want you to clear it up because it seems that both are beyond reproach to you.

I want to know why you're so willing to defend a coach who has shown absolutely nothing once he was able to put his stamp on the team. We're talking about a guy who made all the worst hirings and a 2nd round exit to a 8th seeded team and now off to a 1-3 start only managing to beat a team that had to ice 15 players.

What on earth do you see that is so freaking amazing about Dan Bylsma?
*Sigh*

Shero I have problems with because he hasn't tried to address our winger issues. It's a crime that Mikael Samuelsson got nabbed for 3 years at 2.5M per. But since the Comrie thread's reached 5 pages, I guess in your eyes he has. I haven't once said Shero's beyond reproach.

Not using him correctly? He was stuck to Malkin's hip for most of last playoff run and didn't do **** with it. He also seemed to not enjoy any sort of contact and half assed it on every battle for the puck, even though the man's a giant, which if you ask any Leaf fan is one of the reasons they wanted him gone long before we got him.

Do yourself a favor and start watching games not involving the Penguins and understanding the sport instead of looking up a guy's stats on hockeydb as a barometer of what kind of player he is. I see you also didn't notice my little remark about how Poni's doing in L.A., but why should you when it won't jive with your train of "thought". Christ, I guess nobody knows how to "use him properly".

As for the Habs series, all you have to do is look at why our backup has started 2 out of 5 games to find out what the difference was last spring. My living in Montreal, I have a lot more interaction with their fans than most of you do, and most of it after that series was essentially "I have no idea why you pay that guy 5M dollars" You switch goalies, at least for that one series, and that would have been over in 5 games. That, or Fleury getting even an .899 save%.

Comrie played a ton with Geno tonight, how did that go?

Old
10-16-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Regardless of what he's making or not, Comrie is still an offensive cog to a team that doesn't have very many of them, and benching him for a grinder whom the team has lots of.. is just poor player management, especially when Comrie hasn't even done anything to warrant losing a roster spot.
I think you've almost answered yourself right there. I'll take a guy that can at least get to loose pucks and skate over a scorer thats doing nothing... zero... zilch...

He's gotten PP time, time with Sid and time with Malkin. The guy can't even complete a pass. He's was worth a shot at that cap hit but right now I'm wishing Jeffrey got that spot.

I like DB but I'm also getting more annoyed with him by the day. He's forcing his brand of hockey on a team that clearly doesn't have the make up for it. I wish he would work more with what he's got even if it means reconfiguring over the next 10 games.

Shero bringing in guys like Satan, Sykora, Poni and Comrie is like making the same mistakes over and over again. The common factor that all of them share is that they're slow. This is a skating team that needs players that are good in motion or can pass and support. I'm actually really POed that Grabner got by him. Sure he's got some holes in his game but at least he can keep up with the play. Even if a kid like that has some locker room issues, I think bringing him into a strong locker room like the Pens have could correct any character flaws.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
*Sigh*

Shero I have problems with because he hasn't tried to address our winger issues. It's a crime that Mikael Samuelsson got nabbed for 3 years at 2.5M per. But since the Comrie thread's reached 5 pages, I guess in your eyes he has. I haven't once said Shero's beyond reproach.

Not using him correctly? He was stuck to Malkin's hip for most of last playoff run and didn't do **** with it. He also seemed to not enjoy any sort of contact and half assed it on every battle for the puck, even though the man's a giant, which if you ask any Leaf fan is one of the reasons they wanted him gone long before we got him.

Do yourself a favor and start watching games not involving the Penguins and understanding the sport instead of looking up a guy's stats on hockeydb as a barometer of what kind of player he is. I see you also didn't notice my little remark about how Poni's doing in L.A., but why should you when it won't jive with your train of "thought". Christ, I guess nobody knows how to "use him properly".

As for the Habs series, all you have to do is look at why our backup has started 2 out of 5 games to find out what the difference was last spring. My living in Montreal, I have a lot more interaction with their fans than most of you do, and most of it after that series was essentially "I have no idea why you pay that guy 5M dollars" You switch goalies, at least for that one series, and that would have been over in 5 games. That, or Fleury getting even an .899 save%.

Comrie played a ton with Geno tonight, how did that go?
My god you're condescending. Get over yourself and check on the candles in your Dan Bylsma shrine.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I am fairly certain Comrie will be scratched again tonight, and it's hard to argue against it after his patetick performance last night against one of his former clubs.

Whatever your view on this topic is, the benching did NOT work the first time...that much is certain.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Jacob

So I guess since Goligoski and Kennedy are off to decent starts there has to be a new whipping boy. Bylsma it is, eh?

A coach that takes a team that's out of playoff contention in February and ends up winning the Stanley Cup probably knows what he's doing, for the most part. He makes some questionable decisions, like everyone else that's ever coached a hockey team. Get over it. It's not like there are really any better options out there right now, anyway.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I am fairly certain Comrie will be scratched again tonight, and it's hard to argue against it after his patetick performance last night against one of his former clubs.

Whatever your view on this topic is, the benching did NOT work the first time...that much is certain.
Totally off-topic, but I feel like such a fool. I sat here thinking your typo was some actual word I'd never seen before. I even went so far as to go to dictionary.com just to check.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
So I guess since Goligoski and Kennedy are off to decent starts there has to be a new whipping boy. Bylsma it is, eh?

A coach that takes a team that's out of playoff contention in February and ends up winning the Stanley Cup probably knows what he's doing, for the most part. He makes some questionable decisions, like everyone else that's ever coached a hockey team. Get over it. It's not like there are really any better options out there right now, anyway.
Watching him coach the team, I can't help but think he doesn't know what he's doing.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklings View Post
Your avatar is amazing.
lol thanks, but i just changed it (to remain positive)

stole it on facebook

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

my biggest issue with Bylsma is his glasses...so out dated

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

When we won the Cup coming back from out of the playoffs when Bylsma was hired, it was because of the players (Sid and Geno) but when we drop a few games at the beginning of the season it is the coaches fault.

Malks is my favorite player, but he really needs to step it up as he is playing horribly. Ditto with Sid.

Being Gene Malkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:

All coaches are hired to be fired. It's only a question of when...every time. Winning the Stanley Cup doesn't give you lifetime immunity towards fair criticism. This isn't golf, where if you win a Masters tournament you get to participate for the rest of your life if you wish.

If Peter Laviolette and John Tortorella, two far more accomplished head coaches, can get fired after winning a Stanley Cup, then what makes Bylsma immune?

And in case froods is reading, I am NOT advocating Bylsma's dismissal. I just question why people have a problem with speaking on the subject.

Old
10-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Totally off-topic, but I feel like such a fool. I sat here thinking your typo was some actual word I'd never seen before. I even went so far as to go to dictionary.com just to check.

I suppose I should forewarn whenever I break into Therrien-speak, huh?

Old
10-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Vyruz Reaper

is comrie playing tonight? damn this thread went off topic

Vyruz Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:54 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
My god you're condescending. Get over yourself and check on the candles in your Dan Bylsma shrine.
I don't have a Bylsma shrine: it would take too much away from the one I have built for myself.

If being right by eating and drinking the game since I was a kid, and being able to easily refute stupid blanket statements with facts, then yes, I am condescending.

What I find condescending is "use him properly", which sounds lovely but like much political speak, doesn't actually say anything. It mean it assumes you have some semblance of an idea on how a Poni could have been "used properly", but you obviously don't, because he was given more than his fair shot at succeeding. All that tells me is that you don't watch games, or you don't understand them. Choose.

Despite popular opinion, there aren't a 100 different ways to play hockey.