HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Game 6 | Penguins @ Flyers | Sat, Oct 16, 6:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Congrats on the win, folks. Certainly deserved that one. I'd like your opinion on something: Is it me or the more emotional and the more that's going on in Flyers/Penguins games, the more the Penguins want to rub our faces in it? That's 6 games in a row yous have won in Philly, and this is supposedly a place the opponent hates to play, but the Penguins seem to relish the hostility.
Sid in particular feeds off the hostility, and when he scores a bunch of points the team looks a lot better than it should. The score is deceptive, it was much closer than that.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Gold Diamond
World Champ

Quote:
Congrats on the win, folks. Certainly deserved that one. I'd like your opinion on something: Is it me or the more emotional and the more that's going on in Flyers/Penguins games, the more the Penguins want to rub our faces in it? That's 6 games in a row yous have won in Philly, and this is supposedly a place the opponent hates to play, but the Penguins seem to relish the hostility.
In my opinion, yes. I think we still have a chip on our shoulder as a franchise about winning in Philly, whereas there was a period of time where we NEVER won in Philly.

There's just some awesome feeling about coming into town and silencing the Philthy Phaithful. I live near Philly, and just love hearing the boos when I wear my Pens gear.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:09 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
that would be true for sid...and a few others! as for the rest?

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

We usually get to 1000 posts in these GDT's. Guess there's a lot less posting when there's not a whole lot to ***** about, eh?

In other news, the Preds are dominating the Caps. Ovechkin looks SOOOOO lazy in the neutral zone and doesn't go past the top of the circles in the defensive zone.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:12 PM
JTG

Quote:
I'm very surprised the Philly fan base hasn't realized that Sid does hear them, and that they'd be better off not saying anything. He has been quiet for 5 games. Let the sleeping giant sleep.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:13 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
It's just the 0 for part for the other 4 games, where he's not even putting the puck on net. Honestly, the thing that made his two shots interesting is where Malkin was. On the first one, he was in the old Gonchar position. On the second one, he was in the right circle. Both times, the Flyers were looking to take away pass. It was a different PP look, albeit one based on the flow of the PP rather than a plan. But, the decoy in a place to shoot helped give Sid an open look.
Don't forget that Sid also had quite a few posts and near misses in those first 4 games. I like his shooting mentality this year--he's really not hesitating at all once he sees an open shot. His shot is harder, too.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Man, Weber just hit the post twice with his patented slapshot on the PP, and I'm pretty sure those posts will never be the same.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
They were unusually quiet for this one, but it all revolves around Sid feeding off the crowd. He knows it gets to them, and they should know it only fuels him.

Tied after two games, four more to go.

I actually was only able too watch the last bit of the second and third period, but listened with headsets while at a B-day party. Crowd was not their usual self.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I'm very surprised the Philly fan base hasn't realized that Sid does hear them, and that they'd be better off not saying anything. He has been quiet for 5 games. Let the sleeping giant sleep.
The Eagles fans pay no mind.

I can say that when I'm at the games, I don't do it, and neither do the regulars who sit around me. I'm aware, and most of the real Flyers fans do too.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:24 PM
FlightlessBird

Supposedly Richards said this, "When you play against the Penguins, you know they are going to go down easy." Maybe GKJ can confirm.

FlightlessBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:26 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Don't forget that Sid also had quite a few posts and near misses in those first 4 games. I like his shooting mentality this year--he's really not hesitating at all once he sees an open shot. His shot is harder, too.
Absolutely . . . and fortunately he seems to have stopped soliciting Dupuis for accuracy tips.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
The Eagles fans pay no mind.

I can say that when I'm at the games, I don't do it, and neither do the regulars who sit around me. I'm aware, and most of the real Flyers fans do too.
this is dead on. eagles fans give the rest of philly the reputation that it has. the people i know who are predominately flyers or phillies fans first are rational and intelligent without exception.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessBird View Post
Supposedly Richards said this, "When you play against the Penguins, you know they are going to go down easy." Maybe GKJ can confirm.
I put it on in the middle of when Richards was there, but he did say "haven't I given you guys enough quotes" when he was done. One of our writers on twitter said that he would fight Matt Cooke when Crosby fights Carcillo, but that can't happen if Carcillo is in the press box...

Old
10-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Why would Crosby fight Carcillo?

Richards would decimate Cooke. Cooke's no fighter.

But just to refute; I know a few Flyers die hards and they're the most irrational, conspiracy obsessed idiots I've ever met. Everything is "Bettman" this, "Rigged" that.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:31 PM
FlightlessBird

Quote:
I put it on in the middle of when Richards was there, but he did say "haven't I given you guys enough quotes" when he was done. One of our writers on twitter said that he would fight Matt Cooke when Crosby fights Carcillo, but that can't happen if Carcillo is in the press box...
Thanks.

Not really sure what he means by "going down easy" because as far as I know, most of the penalties were slashing, high sticking, hooking. One was tripping.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:31 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessBird View Post
that's basically what he said, yeah. sounds like the team is most upset with giroux's trip on goligoski, but if he was embellishing, he sure as hell wasn't focused on it, because he still managed to reach ahead and pass the puck at the blue line while hitting the ice. if giroux hadn't got turned around and wasn't lunging toward the ice himself, it wouldn't have been so easy to call.

from what i heard, laviolette -- it should be noted -- did no such complaining. he was upset at some of the stupid decisions he saw. carter's selfish double-minor was probably at the top of the list.

EDIT: what gkj said was right... richards quickly ended the interview by saying that he had "given you guys enough quotes," but i didn't hear the question that prompted that.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:32 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
So Richards will fight a notorious turtler/non-fighter if Crosby fights a goon? That doesn't seem very fair!

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Why would Crosby fight Carcillo?

Richards would decimate Cooke. Cooke's no fighter.
Well the idea is, "he's pulling shenanigans and no one's doing anything about it." Well, is he supposed to fight him? Because that always seems to work well...

4 out of the last 5 times the Flyers have beaten the Penguins, there was no fights in the game. The other game, the Flyers had it in the bag.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
that's basically what he said, yeah. sounds like the team is most upset with giroux's trip on goligoski, but if he was embellishing, he sure as hell wasn't focused on it, because he still managed to reach ahead and pass the puck at the blue line while hitting the ice. if giroux hadn't got turned around and wasn't lunging toward the ice himself, it wouldn't have been so easy to call.

from what i heard, laviolette -- it should be noted -- did no such complaining. he was upset at some of the stupid decisions he saw. carter's selfish double-minor was probably at the top of the list.

EDIT: what gkj said was right... richards quickly ended the interview by saying that he had "given you guys enough quotes," but i didn't hear the question that prompted that.
It was from John Boruk, who is a CSN guy, so I don't think it was meant to be taken in contempt because he was laughing.

However, Richards and the media are not friends.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:51 PM
FlightlessBird

Old
10-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
It was from John Boruk, who is a CSN guy, so I don't think it was meant to be taken in contempt because he was laughing.

However, Richards and the media are not friends.
I would tend to think Crosby & Richards are better friends.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
I would tend to think Crosby & Richards are better friends.
I think they are friends actually, no?

Hmm, that was right at the end, I guess I wasn't listening hard enough.

Old
10-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Richards seems like a *****. I really don't like him at all. He's a heck of a player, but off the ice he's a tool.

He seemed like he was about to cry during that interview and he couldn't help but just toss that subtle diving reference out there at the end like steak to the lions.

Old
10-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
I'd say the Penguins, in general, play better in emotional games on the road than at home, for whatever reason.

With Philadelphia it is a definite chip on the shoulder. The franchise used to never be able to win there, and most players that have been here for any period of time know that. More importantly, with Sid, its personal...and he has taken more than a few of those games over himself...and every boo just puts him further into Hulk mode. There's really no hiding that Sidney Crosby just flat out hates the Flyers and he gets up for those games more than he is likely to get up for a game against the Blues...especially when playing on their ice.

I still can't get over that 6 game winning streak in Philadelphia. It used to take decades to get that many wins period.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:07 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

the PG's blogger really took richards to task.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/...ility-10-16-10

i didn't see the spear, to be honest.