HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cablevision Vs. News Corp.

Old
10-16-2010, 09:07 AM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Cablevision Vs. News Corp.

Well, channel 5 and 9 are now off the air due to the dispute between Cablevision and News Corp.

Cablevision pays News Corp. $70 million for the rights to air channel 5, 9, and other network stations. News Corp. wants $150 million.

No House, No Glee, No Giants game tomorrow, and No MLB playoffs next week if an agreement doesn't come about.

Cablevision wants to go to binding arbitration, News Corp doesn't.

Discuss.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:25 AM
DutchShamrock

Greedy. They are just trying to capitalize on the fact that Cablevision has had similiar disputes in the last year. FoodNetwork wanted too much for what they ultimately are, a specialty channel. ABC and Fox are realizing that they can't make as much with advertising as they used to when the ecomony was better. First they tried to turn most of their programming into the lower overhead costing reality shows. Great for awhile until they absolutey flooded the market with terrible TV, ratings are dropping so ad revenue is even lower.

The thing I love about all of this stuff is how the channels try to spin everything and act like they have our best interests at hand. "Listen folks, ignore the fact that we want to double the costs of our channel which will surely be passed onto you. We love your loyalty. We need more cash to bring you amazing reality programming about the scum of society. We love you so much we are going to cut off your programming just as you were actually about to tune into to our channel this weekend."

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Billionaires fighting over millions of dollars and the average person gets screwed. Seems like a recurring theme in our society.

I also love how these companies say "there are other providers that carry our channel!" Yeah not all of us have the money or the time to pay the $500 cancellation fee for our current TV service and wait for someone to come to our house and install a whole new TV service all for 2 god damn channels.

If I miss the Giants tomorrow I will be ****ing heated.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:33 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I know more about this than I can actually tell here, but I can safely say you know very little about what is going on.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:50 PM
rickyrod

If you unplug your cable box you can still get Fox, you know. Even in HD. As long as your TV is digitally ready. Otherwise, I'm sure MLB Network will show 20 replays of the Halladay-Lincecum matchup.

Still, I think it's irresponsible for a two broadcast networks (Fox5, My9) to act this way (the cable networks involved, fine). I side with Cablevision, which makes me feel very dirty actually.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:20 PM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I know more about this than I can actually tell here, but I can safely say you know very little about what is going on.
jeez dude... tease much? you shoulda just kept quiet ..now i want to know. Are you secretly Jim Dolan? Or The illegitimate child of Rupert Murdock?

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:31 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
jeez dude... tease much? you shoulda just kept quiet ..now i want to know. Are you secretly Jim Dolan? Or The illegitimate child of Rupert Murdock?
Judging by how many times he's accused me of working for cablevision because I actually enjoy their service, and how he seems to think I'm crazy for not being impressed at all by Fios while I had it, I would rule out any relationship to Dolan.

What I dont get is how Fox has gotten away with pulling channels of of Dish Network before the contract expires with them at the end of the month. Obviously they could pull off of cablevision, because the contract expired at midnight last night, but fox sports was pulled off dish a week ago and the contract isnt up. Anyone have any info?

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:34 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Family involved with News Corp. Can't really go into details about what I've heard, but they are my father's main client and there's TONS of hostility on both sides. It's a healthy mix of blame on both parties for sure. Siding with either side is stupid.

Old
10-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Cablevision is a joke anyway. Has been for a while, in my opinion. If it's available in your area, switch to Verizon FIOS. It's better, faster, you get more for the same price, menus are better, the on-demand library is much bigger (included free). The best part is the internet NEVER drops out. EVER. I've had maybe one momentary drop in 3 years. When I had cablevision, it would go out at least twice a week for 45 minutes or more. I've had FIOS for 3 years now and I highly recommend it. Don't support James Dolan any more than you're forced to when you buy Rangers tickets!

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 10-16-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Lol, I always enjoy your posts Jon, but this post is rather pointless. Oh, you know more than us about this but you can't tell us anything so you're basically just boasting that you have this special knowledge about the situation? Cool, thanks for the contribution to the discussion.

Old
10-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Nikita4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Cablevision is a joke anyway. Has been for a while, in my opinion. If it's available in your area, switch to Verizon FIOS. It's better, faster, you get more for the same price, menus are better, the on-demand library is much bigger (included free). I've had FIOS for 3 years now and I highly recommend it. Don't support James Dolan any more than you're forced to when you buy Rangers tickets!
FIOS doesn't have MSG HD.

A friend of mine and I have almost the same exact channels and services, I have CV, he has FIOS, I pay less and his service has been up and down a lot since he had it installed.

I'm sure that there are stories going the other way, but my CV service has been excellent for the last 5 years, and I'm no Dolan fan eithe.r

Nikita4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Nikita4

Quote:
Lol, I always enjoy your posts Jon, but this post is rather pointless. Oh, you know more than us about this but you can't tell us anything so you're basically just boasting that you have this special knowledge about the situation? Cool, thanks for the contribution to the discussion.
That pretty much sums it up.

Nikita4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder22 View Post
FIOS doesn't have MSG HD.

A friend of mine and I have almost the same exact channels and services, I have CV, he has FIOS, I pay less and his service has been up and down a lot since he had it installed.

I'm sure that there are stories going the other way, but my CV service has been excellent for the last 5 years, and I'm no Dolan fan eithe.r
Ah, that's true about MSG HD. I forgot about that since I don't have a HD television. I've had nothing but good experiences with Verizon though.

Old
10-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Lol my thoughts exactly.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 07:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Corporate, rich, ******* ****ers.

I hope they all burn in hell.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 07:54 PM
ogie

Quote:
Family involved with News Corp. Can't really go into details about what I've heard, but they are my father's main client and there's TONS of hostility on both sides. It's a healthy mix of blame on both parties for sure. Siding with either side is stupid.
learned long ago not to get in the middle of rich people's business. lol. use to love watching the brokers i worked with that were worth 6 or 7 figures argue over three dollars.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Ail
Girardi Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Corporate, rich, ******* ****ers.

I hope they all burn in hell.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:04 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I pay $100+ to watch the 20 or so channels I watch when I am actually AT my house and not working or out. I probably watch 20 hours of Tv a week and a majority of that is hockey, football and baseball. I work my tail off all week to pay the bills, so i can sit on my ass and watch football on sunday or an HD hockey game. Thats all i ****ing ask from Cable and I have to deal with this situation and others EVERY. SINGLE. SEASON.

I lost the Yankees for what was it an entire season?

I have to watch the Rangers in SD while the Isles and Devils play in HD despite the fact that CABLEVISION OWNS MSG NETWORK, MSG and the RANGERS. laughable.

Channels in, channels out- i dont watch 90% of them.

Theres a ******* cable war every ****ing year.

Its getting really frustrating to say the least, not to mention the fact that there always seems to be a problem with installation or feeds wherever I go. The same could probably be said for hundreds of thousands of dopes like myself around the tri-state area. Cable is such a sham of a service it makes me want to puke.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:07 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't want to sound harsh. And it has nothing to do with not being able to watch my shows. Because I rarely watch that kind of TV anyway. But really, these are the people that ruin the world for others, for no other reason then their own selfish greed.

They're the people that steal hard working employees' pension money.

Like my Father's pension, who spends what he does have on things like his mother's new walker and her rent so she can live.

They're the people that have caused this awful economic depression.

They're the kind of people, looking at you Jeter, Snipes, who make more money then any one man should EVER have the right to own, and then dodge their taxes?? Really?? While people making $8.50 an hour have to pay up?? With NO health benefits, either?? With the risk of lay offs??

There are starving, homless children in THIS country, and these wastes of human life are complaining about 50 million dollars??? Where is that money going?? Their pockets, right. How about feeding some dying kids??? How about dumping that money on the doorstep of a cancer research clinic?? Naaaaaaaaaahhhhh buy a new yatch and some thousand dollar suit and your mistress' new boobs.

**** them. I hope they burn. And burn hard, long, and slow.

/rant.

Now back to hockey.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 10-17-2010 at 12:30 AM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:10 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
I'm just saying that one side is not to blame. Both sides are. I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty, but that's my point. People were tossing blame on News Corp when it's both sides in the wrong.

Both of them need to shut the **** up and get Fox back on Cablevision.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:26 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

So can you tell us at least who's right and who's wrong? You don't have to say why, but just who.

Edit: Sorry, I see the question was already answered.

Last edited by Beacon: 10-17-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
I'm just saying that one side is not to blame. Both sides are. I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty, but that's my point. People were tossing blame on News Corp when it's both sides in the wrong.

Both of them need to shut the **** up and get Fox back on Cablevision.

Ok, fair enough, but who's the dude in your Avatar?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:24 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I have to watch the Rangers in SD while the Isles and Devils play in HD despite the fact that CABLEVISION OWNS MSG NETWORK, MSG and the RANGERS. laughable.
This is the biggest piece of sellout crock of s*** from cablevision in my opinion. You are MSG, you have two channels. There is absolutely know justifiable reason outside of money grubbing for the Rangers getting bumped out of their HD channels. The horrible Knicks get top billing every game, the invisible Isles and ignored Devils get preferential treatment. This might actually be worse than the Hawks getting blacked out in Chicago. At least that owner had the balls to tell everyone his philosophy and play his hand. We get the guy that puts our rivals on a pedestal. They need to add another HD channel if they are going to carry 4 teams that play between Nov and Apr/potentially June.

I don't blame Cablevision when all of these negotiations go wrong, but the Rangers getting bumped is unacceptable.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

If you guys have a Digital TV (which is any TV made after March of 2007) then all you need to do to get FOX is go buy a cheap pair of rabbit ears at radio shack or something. If your TV is analog and not digital then you'd need a converter box because they don't broadcast analog signals over-the-air anymore, only digital ones.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:39 AM
BKRangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I don't want to sound harsh. And it has nothing to do with not being able to watch my shows. Because I rarely watch that kind of TV anyway. But really, these are the people that ruin the world for others, for no other reason then their own selfish greed.

They're the people that steal hard working employees' pension money.

Like my Father's pension, who spends what he does have on things like his mother's new walker and her rent so she can live.

They're the people that have caused this awful economic depression.

They're the kind of people, looking at you Jeter, Snipes, who make more money then any one man should EVER have the right to own, and then dodge their taxes?? Really?? While people making $8.50 an hour have to pay up?? With NO health benefits, either?? With the risk of lay offs??

There are starving, homless children in THIS country, and these wastes of human life are complaining about 50 million dollars??? Where is that money going?? Their pockets, right. How about feeding some dying kids??? How about dumping that money on the doorstep of a cancer research clinic?? Naaaaaaaaaahhhhh buy a new yatch and some thousand dollar suit and your mistress' new boobs.

**** them. I hope they burn. And burn hard, long, and slow.

/rant.

Now back to hockey.

dont want to get into politics here, but welcome to america, where yes indeed every man has a right to own whatever ridiculous amount of money they can accumulate. cabel tv is a luxery that nobody forces you to pay for, or do you have an inherited right to. they can do whatever they so choose with their money and service.

there are people making minimum wage, so that means nobody should be wealthy? do you propose a 5 year plan?

my point is... u can be pissed that you wont be watching what you wanted to watch, but i think its unfair to condemn two businesses for battling for their best interests. itll be resolved sooner or later, my bet is sooner.

sorry for the rant

BKRangerFan is offline   Reply With Quote